shape
carat
color
clarity

1st timer seeking advice for 5.08ct cushion

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not working with a specific jeweler yet. I've been waiting to get a better idea of the direction I want to go with the setting before deciding. I'm learning that I'm a sucker for a clean bezel. I adore millegrain and antique settings or antique-repo/inspired. I think I'm leaning towards a smaller halo with some quirky detail, with a bezel. The ones below really caught my eye. Some are from designers I think have been mentioned, so that's promising.

5581590e121d8498c957a0ca8e4cc7e2.jpg
This is gorgeous It really reminds me of CVB's Camille or Annie halos. Or DS2006's asscher halo

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
Alright, so an update. I've decided to go with a local artist who specializes in antique repros and inspireds, particularly deco. I found a partial halo I loved after hours and hours of internet scrounging, and had a CAD mockup made. I got it back this morning, and am a little underwhelmed but can't entirely pinpoint why. I think the 23.2mm length on the finger may be too much. Does anyone wear a ring with that much north-south coverage regularly? What do you think of it - gripes and glowing reviews welcome. Maybe it's the split shank. Does it add too much weight to the design? If anyone has any recommendations for shoulder/shank design other than the one pictured in the original shot (I'm looking for something a little more eye-catching but not too ornate) I'd love to see them. As always, your help in this big adventure is so very, very appreciated!

IMG_8025.PNG
CAD.gif

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't mind me being brutally honest, I really don't like that setting.:(

I think it's overwhelming the stone rather than complimenting it.

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
If you don't mind me being brutally honest, I really don't like that setting.:(

I think it's overwhelming the stone rather than complimenting it.

Not at all, I'm not thrilled with it either. I'm just looking for ways to alter or improve it rather than trash the whole thing, which I may end up doing anyway.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry, but I tend to agree with Austina..you have such a magnificent stone, this setting doesn't do it justice. It looks more like a cocktail ring than a wedding ring which is to to be worn daily. You also have very delicate fingers, the ornate halo will look a bit "too much" on you in my opinion. Have you considered CvB Inspired Design? I am sure that Caysie will have some amazing ideas for your cushion. Her work is very much vintage inspired and her attention to detail always shows.

Also, I think you might have already said no to east-west, but I think that the ring will look soooo amazing if set that way. It will still be huge, yet very classy. When I saw your cushion, I thought of this ring:
weddings-2015-09-5-jade-tanner-engagement-ring-bachelor-in-paradise-0907-courtesy-abc-main.jpg

Last edited:

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
I am sorry, but I tend to agree with Austina..you have such a magnificent stone, this setting doesn't do it justice. It looks more like a cocktail ring than a wedding ring which is to to be worn daily. You also have very delicate fingers, the ornate halo will look a bit "too much" on you in my opinion. Have you considered CvB Inspired Design? I am sure that Caysie will have some amazing ideas for your cushion. Her work is very much vintage inspired and her attention to detail always shows.

Also, I think you might have already said no to east-west, but I think that the ring will look soooo amazing if set that way. It will still be huge, yet very classy. When I saw your cushion, I thought of this ring:
weddings-2015-09-5-jade-tanner-engagement-ring-bachelor-in-paradise-0907-courtesy-abc-main.jpg
That's so pretty, but east-west the stone would cover my finger almost entirely. The details on the sides would be mostly lost. I really like the feel of that one though; pretty details, unique, doesn't overpower the stone, millegrain. Just a really gorgeous piece.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, that new setting has a very specific look. It makes me think of Snow White's evil queen step-mother. But seriously, if you like the look, and can see yourself rocking it, then go for it. Nevermind what other people do or think. It's definitely antique-ish and makes a very strong statement. But before you commit, have you tried a ring like that ON YOUR HAND? Something with THAT much north-south coverage? Seeing something you love in pictures on your actual finger can really change your mind.

I don't love the east west setting because I think that takes away from the stone, but that is just IMHO. I think you're looking for something north-south with elegance, but haven't found it yet. What specifically about this setting appeals to you?

I think the little tips at the north and south points and the concave curve of the sides make it look "too skinny", like the stone was elastic and someone just stretched it out.

Breakdown this design and see what you love and what you don't like and see if you can tweak it. Maybe we can help.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You have beautiful hands and a lot of finger real estate. That said, I wouldn't add to the ends/tips because i suspect you wouldn't be comfortable--bending /extending your finger and all. More isn't necessarily better.

Take your time. But I think you know that already!

cheers--Sharon

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so pretty, but east-west the stone would cover my finger almost entirely. The details on the sides would be mostly lost. I really like the feel of that one though; pretty details, unique, doesn't overpower the stone, millegrain. Just a really gorgeous piece.
I totally understand, then definitely set it north/south, if that is what you want/like. I mean, you have a gorgeous stone, it will look beautiful no matter what. Hm..have you considered Steven Kirsch? He is in NYC. He is super nice and easy to work with. His pieces are handforged and really gorgeous. I think that he can create a really magnificent ring for you. His style is somewhat similar to the ring I posted (great pave, millegrain, etc.)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone, and what a romantic story!! I love it! How meaningful! :)

I have the same size finger as you. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a delicate halo done by Victor Canera. I LOVE that you have such a white stone because the halo will match so beautifully (as opposed to white halo stones making a lower colour centre stone look yellow).

I think a delicate more simple setting is more timeless, and this is definitely an heirloom in the making! But what am I saying? Go for what YOU will love and forget about the heirs ;-)

I'm really excited to see how this develops.

Question for everyone: if she were to go with a non-local design, how on earth would she mail the stone? Tips?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second the recommendation for Victor... his pave work is impeccable and TDF!! He has a profound eye for aesthetic balance and he will select proportions that best complement your gorgeous stone. You could even send the stone to him and ask what he suggests. I would definitely trust him with this project!

With regard to getting the stone to him, I have shipped high value stones via registered mail and also overnight via FedEx and have had zero issues. Registered mail will take a few days longer (most recently one of my packages made it from east coast to west coast in 4 days) but each person who handles it is required to sign for it, so I believe it is considered the most secure method.

This is such an exciting project... please keep us posted with updates!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not loving the CADs either. :wink2: I LOVE your stone but are you sure you want to take an already long stone and put it in a longer setting?
The proportions just dont seem right to me. I think if anything you should add to the width and not to the length.

If you want to stick with that design, I have to say it looks like they have added a modern split shank to an antique head. I think a split shank would
be great with your stone but if you are going with an antique look the split shank needs to be more curved.

Have you looked through Single Stone for ideas?
https://www.singlestone.com/rings_c29/page1/

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAAASSSSSS!!!! I vote VC's Anne Marie ALL. DAY. LONG.

And that's one helluva stone, OP!!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YAAASSSSSS!!!! I vote VC's Anne Marie ALL. DAY. LONG.

And that's one helluva stone, OP!!
Me too, msop04, me too!! VC's Anne Marie is amazeballs. I am not in the market for another ring for a while, but perhaps someday! :love: The SingleStone setting that LLJsmom posted is truly gorgeous as well!!

Here is VC's Anne Marie:

original-1417388008-2010010.jpg

ETA: Oops, I just realized that photos of the Anne Marie were posted previously. But this one just seems to warrant another photo, right? :D Just out of curiosity, do any PSers have the Anne Marie?

Last edited:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow; I had no idea! That is amazing... can you imagine being the namesake of a new setting? :loopy: Last fall I had considered BGD's Grace setting and my research led me to Lynn B's post about naming that setting... pretty darn cool! So anyway, thank you for sharing Anne's original post; it predates my time on PS so I had no idea. I do so love VC's Anne Marie setting!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
split shank since the stone is huge! (not a problem per se)..I saw this on Leon Mege's site. I woud get something like this.. I tend to be very modern in my taste in jewelry, this setting has old and new.

cool ring.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I concur with others, the setting seems to overwhelm your diamond and looks uncomfortable to wear. I still think the first setting you posted with the sapphire and elongate baguettes would be amazing.

If you want to go with the kind of setting your CAD suggests, I think you need to really tweak the proportions to avoid making your stone looking oddly long. This is the Feuilles Dorees from Elle at the Gemstone Project. I think the halo stones and details here are much more in proportional to the center. Adding the side details avoid this stone looking overly elongated. You could retain a smaller version of your halo in the N-S direction, but add some details along the sides and shank like this to help create balance. If you have not put down money, I'd just work with Elle. Her design is exceptional and she's probably one of the most patient souls I've met.

Link: https://thegemstoneproject.com/the-feuilles-dorees/

ellefluer.JPG ellefluer2.JPG

View attachment 498076

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
I too own a large cushion, I had jewels by grace create my dream ring and they did an impeccable job! Prongs don't tend to flow with my lifestyle, I'm a bezel girl. You will find what you want

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
II had not realized that there is a fairly similar ring around here: large, long-ish main stone & fitted sides ...

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...cher-cut-in-the-cvb-giselle-solitaire.224322/

Of course, the step cut is of a different character, and perhaps a slightly lower L/W - but still longer than 'common' & the French cut sides water down the sum total step-ness; if you were to use step cut sides, they'd achieve such contrast the other way around.

[I am admiring some surprising sides - which, somehow reminded me of your long cushion: FVY & D pair, & a ring with similar]

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your stone is so beautiful, but I think you should go with your gut on not finding the setting to be right for it. I think it makes the stone look too long and thin, and it makes the proportions look awkward for an every day ring. I love some of the other suggestions though!

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
I'm a sucker for a clean bezel too. I have a large antique cushion as well. I knew the roughly the design I wanted and jewels by grace executed it perfectly! My ring is my avatar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results