shape
carat
color
clarity

1st timer seeking advice for 5.08ct cushion

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

As a long time admirer of all your lovely baubles but first time poster, I'm hoping to get a bit of guidance. For the last 6 years I've been wearing a dainty .79ct J-color VS2 on a simple solitaire. I really loved it, but it was a bit of an impulse buy for my husband and me. We eloped in a booth at our favorite coffee joint, officiated by a good friend. It wasn't supposed to be like that, but family health and other extenuating circumstances made a wedding ceremony that required planning too difficult at the time. We just wanted to be married. Fast forward 6 years to our anniversary two weeks ago. The hubby proposed again, with this SIGNIFICANTLY bigger elongated cushion he spotted in his travels and decided he had to bring home. We're looking to set a date for a big family wedding some time next year. :D I'm so happy about it.

SO. I've done a ton of homework both here and elsewhere over the last two weeks but would appreciate extra input. The questions I'd pose to you - Are there any strong recommendations for setting older cut cushion stones? (avoid bezels, make sure corners have extra protection, etc). The stone measures 5.08ct, about 12x8mm, VVS2 eye clean, F color. The cut is a tiny bit rougher, as it seems just a bit darker at the center in certain light. It has such pretty chunky fire and life to it that I can't really bring myself to care. The pictures included were taken inside at night, I couldn't catch it. My ring size is 4.75 - should I keep anything in mind while having a setting designed to avoid too much finger coverage? I'm so accustomed to my old diamond I'm afraid it might look like a cocktail ring to me at first! Any suggestions for design eras I should look at for this type of stone in particular? I generally prefer Edwardian or Art Deco - is this appropriate?

I guess I'm just a little nervous about doing the stone credit and not messing up the setting design process. It's a first for me. Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks so much! 0CirG6aW.jpg 0WnUF0xC.jpg 0ZuX54DN.jpg 06dKLkKn.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on an awesomely ginormous stone! Who are you working with? Did GIA grade that as an F? Can you post closer pics of your stone? If you have an iPhone the pics should be decent. I would work with Caysie van Beber, victor canera. Steven Kirsch, maybe Singlestone...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably lean toward Art Deco cause Edwardian is a little to fancy/detailed for me. I would probably also bezel that because with something that big j would be afraid of knocking it on something. That is quite a rare find, an F VVS in that size. I would so all I could to protect it from damage. A halo would also be stunning. Victor loves Art Deco. Singlestone does some beautiful interpretations of vintage designs. I would reach out to them and tell them what you have, tell them what you like and see who you click with. I am assuming you are willing to sink a decent amount into a setting that would do this stone justice. Oh yeah, and I would consider Erika winter too. She has a very distinct aesthetic and if you like it, I am sure she can come up with something stunning too.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS! :wavey:

Belated Happy Anniversary and congratulations on your amazing new diamond!

No suggestions re setting; LLJsmom and some of the other wonderful PS members are much better qualified than I am to help you out.

Off-topic, but I have to say that I love your avatar! Too funny and totally adorable! :lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No suggestions re setting; LLJsmom and some of the other wonderful PS members are much better qualified than I am to help you out.

Off-topic, but I have to say that I love your avatar! Too funny and totally adorable! :lol:
December, I totally missed that!!!!! I love it too!!!! DYING....

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to the OP, what kind of settings do you like? Halo, bezel, solitaire, sidestones? Do you have some favorites on PS? Post those and we can see where to go. Or are you already working with a specific jeweler and just want us to post a list of big no-nos? What is your jeweler's specialty? Modern, pave, antique...

Are you on IG? If so, go follow estatediamondjewelry. Most of their settings are original. Also check out Lang Antiques website if you haven't already.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg that's a gorgeous cushion I'm no use on the settings except I do love Erika Winters and Caysie Van Bebber's settings so I'd suggest you have a look through their sites for some ideas. CvB is very good at doing custom design if you don't see anything specific you like.

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on an awesomely ginormous stone! Who are you working with? Did GIA grade that as an F? Can you post closer pics of your stone? If you have an iPhone the pics should be decent. I would work with Caysie van Beber, victor canera. Steven Kirsch, maybe Singlestone...

Thank you! I managed to get some better shots in the morning light. Still not fantastic, but my poor old iPhone tries its best. My husband has the EGL cert somewhere, but he would lose his head if it wasn't screwed on. I'll find it in a random business folio later this summer, I'm sure. :) It was graded F-G, but it shows up really gorgeously white to me. I'm absolutely not well-versed in diamonds yet though, so that could be just stars-in-the-eyes bias from me. I haven't settled with a designer to work with yet. I'll check those out, thank you!

1.jpg 1a.jpg 1b.jpg 1c.jpg

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
I would probably lean toward Art Deco cause Edwardian is a little to fancy/detailed for me. I would probably also bezel that because with something that big j would be afraid of knocking it on something. That is quite a rare find, an F VVS in that size. I would so all I could to protect it from damage. A halo would also be stunning. Victor loves Art Deco. Singlestone does some beautiful interpretations of vintage designs. I would reach out to them and tell them what you have, tell them what you like and see who you click with. I am assuming you are willing to sink a decent amount into a setting that would do this stone justice. Oh yeah, and I would consider Erika winter too. She has a very distinct aesthetic and if you like it, I am sure she can come up with something stunning too.

That's probably a good point, I wouldn't want a super ornate setting taking attention away from the stone. And thanks for the bezel suggestion, also a good point. This is why I asked! Phew. I do have a decent budget for the setting, yes. A quality setting that will stand up well to time is really important, I'd love to be able to hand it down to my kids/grandkids some day. Erika Winter's page is absolutely gorgeous. WOW!

jraustinite

Rough_Rock

Thank you on both points - the avatar is my phone lock screen pic as well, it cracks me up every time! Happy to share. :D

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
I am a month old in terms of diamond knowledge lol but I think my eyes are good at aesthetics lol...If you are so sure to wear it North-South elegantly, try imagine a split shank. East-west style might give it aore unique look with a strong presense (although it has a lot of presense anyway lol).

Must be my phone, the stone looks longer than it should be? Should be 3:2 but it looks like 2.5:1 on my screen. Anyway, I can almost feel your excitement!!:)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, beautiful stone! Congrats on your anniversary and new proposal!

I might would consider a dainty pave split shank since the stone is elongated. I think that would be beautiful.
The other option is talk to CVB and see what kind of design she comes up for it.

If you really wanted heirloom quality and if it fits your budget Singlestone would do an awesome job!
Do be prepared for a large price tag though.
https://www.singlestone.com/antique-diamond-engagement-rings/

groovnstar

Rough_Rock

I might would consider a dainty pave split shank since the stone is elongated. I think that would be beautiful.
The other option is talk to CVB and see what kind of design she comes up for it.

If you really wanted heirloom quality and if it fits your budget Singlestone would do an awesome job!
Does it look longer than 12mmX8mm to you too? The image is not showing it right you think? The length is more than a double its width on my iphone.

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
Back to the OP, what kind of settings do you like? Halo, bezel, solitaire, sidestones? Do you have some favorites on PS? Post those and we can see where to go. Or are you already working with a specific jeweler and just want us to post a list of big no-nos? What is your jeweler's specialty? Modern, pave, antique...

Are you on IG? If so, go follow estatediamondjewelry. Most of their settings are original. Also check out Lang Antiques website if you haven't already.

I'm not working with a specific jeweler yet. I've been waiting to get a better idea of the direction I want to go with the setting before deciding. I'm learning that I'm a sucker for a clean bezel. I adore millegrain and antique settings or antique-repo/inspired. I think I'm leaning towards a smaller halo with some quirky detail, with a bezel. The ones below really caught my eye. Some are from designers I think have been mentioned, so that's promising.

5581590e121d8498c957a0ca8e4cc7e2.jpg A30310273-1024x1101.jpg r945_070wx-z9.jpg IMG_8028.JPG

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jraustinite

Rough_Rock

Thank you. :) Oh my goodness some of the rings at Singlestone are jaw dropping, I could spend all day on their site. Will definitely take a closer look at the split shanks.

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
Does it look longer than 12mmX8mm to you too? The image is not showing it right you think? The length is more than a double its width on my iphone.

I think it's the angle I was shooting at in order to best catch the facets and fire? It's definitely 12x8, but the slightly oval shape of it might make it look a little longer? I hope that's not too terrible a thing. :/

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the first one you posted. The side baguettes set lengthwise make it very elegant. Very Art Deco. I think an Art Deco basket with detailed metal work but not much bling would be more elegant. That is why I wouldn't go for the last one. But it's all personal preference right?? Have fun with it!!

The second one too, with the bezel...

Nah who am I kidding? I love the first one. Victor would make a beautiful version of that. Love the six double claws (nice and secure for a big honker like yours) and love the placement of them. Nothing at 6 and 12 o'clock and doesn't distract the eye. The side baguettes set vertically just kill me. I would caution against three sides of melee on the shank (last one). You don't want to have to worry about bringing it in for repairs if they fall out. I would go for platinum to keep it classic and consistent with the Art Deco feel.

Last edited:

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
I really like the first one you posted. The side baguettes set lengthwise make it very elegant. Very Art Deco. I think an Art Deco basket with detailed metal work but not much bling would be more elegant. That is why I wouldn't go for the last one. But it's all personal preference right?? Have fun with it!!

The second one too, with the bezel...

Nah who am I kidding? I love the first one. Victor would make a beautiful version of that.

I really love the one with the baguettes (hence first placement!) I'll take a closer look at Victor's work, thanks. I think the others are Henri Daussi and Leon Mege.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon's pieces are amazing. I would just suggest looking up other Pricescoper's experiences with Leon Mege before you commit if you decide to go with him. I would not feel ok if you went without knowing, at least. Of course everyone's experience is different and everyone is a grown up and will make his/her own decision. Just saying in the spirit of full disclosure.

If you are in the east coast or NYC, I would definitely visit Steven Kirsch. His pave work is stunning and delicate and refined.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
OH MY WORD so much bling. The stone looks so unprotected though, or is that just me? I think I would worry endlessly.
True! It's not like Victoria Beckham wears it everyday lol

Split shank seems to be a valid option, it helps making such a large, elongated stone easy to the eyes and adds more feminity, like a young queen:) Add a halo for protection hehe
IMG_4676.jpg
Keeps-you-worried 4 prongs lol
IMG_4674.jpg
IMG_4675.jpg

jraustinite

Rough_Rock
True! It's not like Victoria Beckham wears it everyday lol

Split shank seems to be a valid option, it helps making such a large, elongated stone easy to the eyes and adds more feminity, like a young queen:) Add a halo for protection hehe
IMG_4676.jpg
Keeps-you-worried 4 prongs lol
IMG_4674.jpg
IMG_4675.jpg

Oooh, that first one is lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results