shape
carat
color
clarity

1st project - stacker for daughter's birth - advice please!

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone - first post on here, I've been a PS lurker since right after we bought my wedding set (unfortunately before I found PS) 2 years ago. I've been itching to start a project and now have a great reason - I'd like to purchase a stacker band to signify my daughter's birth 6 weeks ago :love: . I would like to wear it with my wedding set and plan on giving it to her when she turns 18. Here are pictures of my wedding set (with spacer band) and some questions for you all:

ring1_21.jpg

ring2_21.jpg

1) Stacker band ideas - While I really want a hand engraved band, I'm now thinking of a band with sapphires to signify her birth month - September. Possibly something similar to the CvB Juliette Bezel Set French Cut Sapphire and Diamond band found here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/198617391/the-juliette-bezel-set-french-cut?ref=shop_home_active_24............ I would like for the band to be platinum - other ideas on stacker bands that would look good with my wedding set?

2) Sizing - Do you worry about matching the stacker band width and height to your current rings? I'm not sure of the band width and height of my wedding set, though may be able to determine that with your help (I'm a size 5.75ish and it's a Goldman set from Diamonds Direct - I have the style number if anyone is able to look it up?).

3) Potential designers - I'm thinking of working with David Klass or CvB on the project. Budget is $2k. I would always rather spend a little more and have higher quality. Thoughts on these two vendors or other vendors I should consider?

I love reading everyone's posts on here and can't wait to hear your thoughts - thank you in advance!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: 1st project - stacker for daughter's birth - advice plea

Hi RayRay,

Fun project...

1) Stacker band ideas - While I really want a hand engraved band, I'm now thinking of a band with sapphires to signify her birth month - September. Possibly something similar to the CvB Juliette Bezel Set French Cut Sapphire and Diamond band found here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/198617391/the-juliette-bezel-set-french-cut?ref=shop_home_active_24............. I would like for the band to be platinum - other ideas on stacker bands that would look good with my wedding set?
I think a hand engraved band would look lovely with your set. You can do hand engraving with blue sapphires. Your link is not working here is a new link
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Juliette+Bezel+Set+French+Cut+Sapphire+and+Diamond+band

2) Sizing - Do you worry about matching the stacker band width and height to your current rings? I'm not sure of the band width and height of my wedding set, though may be able to determine that with your help (I'm a size 5.75ish and it's a Goldman set from Diamonds Direct - I have the style number if anyone is able to look it up?).

You do not need to match width. In fact, to me its the variety in width that makes it more interesting. However, with height you need to be close. Doesnt have to be exact but close. You an go buy a metal ruler with mm measurements on it and get a good idea of the height and width of your rings. If you want exact, take it to a jeweler and ask them to give you the measurements (a real jeweler, not a mall jeweler.) which they should do it at no cost.

3) Potential designers - I'm thinking of working with David Klass or CvB on the project. Budget is $2k. I would always rather spend a little more and have higher quality. Thoughts on these two vendors or other vendors I should consider?
Either of these designers would do a fab job. My choice would be to go to CVB, tell her what you want (in general) and let her design something especially for you and your daughter. I think that would be more special.

Concerns....

Your set is already pretty wide/substanital. Another ring is going to push it out even further on your finger. Is your
current set big enough because it will sit closer to your finger knuckle and will have more finger "fat" to deal with.
Have you gone to a jeweler and tried on more rings with your set? Do you like the way it looks/fits?

What are your plans if you have another child/daughter? Another ring would be appropriate but I think you have pretty
much maxed out your finger with the ring from your current daughter. Have you thought about starting a RHR stack? That
way you can put as many kids rings together on your RHR and wear them all at the same time. I honestly think this makes
more sense...not to say you couldnt use the ring from your first daughter to move over and be in a stack on your RHR when
another child/daughter comes along. May change the idea of what you want though.

When you settle on a design you need to make sure there is a big resizing bar on the bottom of the setting because you have
no idea what size your daughter's finger is going to be when she is 18.

Ok, I guess thats enough to chew on for now...keep us posted! :wavey:

Aurora43

Rough_Rock

I love the sapphire ring you are looking at and I think it would go well with your wedding set. However, I am not sure how easy it is going to be to find a stacker ring that will fit perfectly between your ering and wedding band. If it were me and I wanted to wear them all on my ring finger, I would wear the sapphire above and on the other side of your ering. You would be looking at the sapphire, your ering and your wedding band in that order when you hold your hand up. It just seems like the rings would all go better together in this way to me. Then, if you have more children later on and want to get a ring for them, you could stack them all together on your right hand ring finger if it was too much to wear all the rings on one finger.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock

tyty333 and Aurora43 - thank you so much! It's nice to get advice from the experts. I was originally thinking of wearing it on the left finger (like idea of placing it above the e-ring), but depending on the width and whether it needs a spacer, I would be OK with making it a RHR (honestly hadn't thought about the possibility it may not fit on the left!). I would look for the same type of design (engraving, sapphires, milgrain) whether it's a left or right hand ring. I absolutely love the idea of CVB creating something unique and special - thinking of contacting her with my thoughts and depending on the width, I could then have her make it a 5.5 or 5.75 (unfortunately my right and left fingers are different sizes) - or would I need to tell her the size before she starts designing?

tyty333 - how large would you suggest making the resizing bar? The ring would be sized either 5.5 or 5.75 - would a 3/4 band be sufficient for later resizing?

Thank you!

Dakota

Rough_Rock

From what I'm seeing and hearing, your set includes your engagement ring? If that's the case, take that off to make room for the ring signifying the birth. You don't want too much hardware on your finger.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think this is a lovely idea! I would be tempted to have something to wear alone on the right hand though. I agree that there doesn't look to be too much space left with your wedding set, but I wouldn't be comfy not wearing one of my rings from my set in favour of a new one.

When my first daughter was born my husband bought a beautiful 1ct unheated pink sapphire. I had it set in a really simple platinum ring with her name & DOB engraved inside. I don't often wear it, but she loves it & knows one day it will be hers. She's almost 8 now & it's still one of my favourite rings.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RayRay|1477764476|4091811 said:
tyty333 and Aurora43 - thank you so much! It's nice to get advice from the experts. I was originally thinking of wearing it on the left finger (like idea of placing it above the e-ring), but depending on the width and whether it needs a spacer, I would be OK with making it a RHR (honestly hadn't thought about the possibility it may not fit on the left!). I would look for the same type of design (engraving, sapphires, milgrain) whether it's a left or right hand ring. I absolutely love the idea of CVB creating something unique and special - thinking of contacting her with my thoughts and depending on the width, I could then have her make it a 5.5 or 5.75 (unfortunately my right and left fingers are different sizes) - or would I need to tell her the size before she starts designing?

tyty333 - how large would you suggest making the resizing bar? The ring would be sized either 5.5 or 5.75 - would a 3/4 band be sufficient for later resizing?

Thank you!

If you plan on wearing the new ring more towards your finger knuckle (vs hand knuckle) it will probably need to be bigger. Will
the bigger size be able to fit your right hand? Usually right hand fingers are bigger (for right handed people). I think 3/4 band
would be plenty for resizing (ask CVB) you can only resize within 2 sizes normally on a plain gold band but yours is going to be
different (engraving, sapphires, etc) so resizing may be even more of an issue. Tell CVB your intentions of it being your daughters
ring some day and see what she has to say about resizing. I would love to see what CVB comes up with for you. She does such
incredible designs!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have been pleased with my IDJ sapphire baguette round diamond bezel band and with the sapphire marquise bezel band I got from JamesAllen.

I would suggest going half or 3/4 eternity so that if your daughters finger size is different from yours resizing won't be an issue

RayRay

Shiny_Rock

Thank you everyone for the great advice! I've contacted CVB with my ideas - I'll keep you posted on the designs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results