shape
carat
color
clarity

1ct US$1300 with platinum setting

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
D005ACF0-B867-42D6-851B-3916E3FDA329.jpeg

The following have been making its run in the local context, with options up to 5cts.
After conversion, it’s abt US$1300 and comes with a 6prong platinum setting.

Granted that IGI has dubious grading and you really have no idea of color or clarity but a quick browse on even dropshippers, makes the price hard to beat. There is nothing in the ad that suggest it is not a mined stone....is it ?

Wondering if I could get some opinions on how this is possible.

Last edited:

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I strongly suspect they are lab-created. I looked at a bunch of the company’s ads and blog articles ... they seem very careful to say “real” diamond and never ever ever say “natural.” Usually if it seems too good to be true, it is ... hopefully we’ll find out. In the US, several companies were in trouble for not making it apparent that the diamonds they were selling were man-made .. this company is based in Singapore and my not be up against any laws yet ... and based on other articles, this company is far from ethical too.

ETA: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-ftc-guidelines-for-jewelry.242358/

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a man made diamond. If you check the IGI certificate, very hard to make out, but in the “comments” you can see MMD and a number is noted. This number is inscribed on the girdle as is required for all man made diamonds.
IUIGA make a point of avoiding the term “earth mined” as well as “man made”.

EncikG

Shiny_Rock
It is a man made diamond. If you check the IGI certificate, very hard to make out, but in the “comments” you can see MMD and a number is noted. This number is inscribed on the girdle as is required for all man made diamonds.
IUIGA make a point of avoiding the term “earth mined” as well as “man made”.

Thanks. Yup, I tried to read the fine print and any indication that it’s lab grown but wasn’t sure where to look

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting, and great digging.

Facts, as per the website offering:
- The website is not producing the product. It comes from a producer, unknown to the public.
- IGI-grading is optional at a cost of 300 SGD. Thus, the 'diamond' comes without grading-report.

Interesting claims:
- Color is predicted to be in the HIJ-range.

So, we have:

- Uncerted diamond, offered at an illogically low price.
- Limited to a color-range, which happens to be the most occurring (and generally highest) color-range of synthetic diamonds, produced in the CVD-process.
- A product presented in a very generalized, commodity-way, unusual for this type of product.

All indications are that these are synthetic CVD-diamonds, not properly disclosed as such.

Live long,

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the P in 'Clarity Grade: VS-SI-P' ??

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
At that price, that is not too shabby.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And cut grade of "Very Good".

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
E3DFD39F-A1D2-4009-99BC-7E67B182858B.jpeg

I guess man made diamonds can also be considered ‘actual’ diamonds
they can, at least per the post further down the forum about new FTC standards for jewelry.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E3DFD39F-A1D2-4009-99BC-7E67B182858B.jpeg

I guess man made diamonds can also be considered ‘actual’ diamonds
The question to ask is “are these mined from the earth actual diamonds or are they grown in a laboratory actual diamonds? And why are you charging $300 for an IGI certificate if they only charge $150 for this service?
I’d like to see how they answer !

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The question to ask is “are these mined from the earth actual diamonds or are they grown in a laboratory actual diamonds? And why are you charging $300 for an IGI certificate if they only charge $150 for this service?

I have asked that exact question (mined diamonds or laboratory grown) as has another person on the Facebook post. No response at all yet from them.

EncikG

Shiny_Rock

The discerning will be able to pick them out but I’m sure many others would fall prey on the words. While the product ‘maybe’ the same, how it’s derived is contentious.

A good analogy I can think of is Eggs.
Cage eggs: quite explanatory
Barn laid: what’s the definition when there can be just as many chooks per sq footing as cage.
Free range: is it just in the open? what’s the realestate definition for an egg to qualify for free range.
Organic: even more contentious. Does it relate to the feedlots? The roaming real estate or the fact that it’s not subjected to growth stimulants and antibiotics?

While the product is the same, an egg. The definition of it’s creation is contentious

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can tell by the way they make a concerted effort to avoiding words that clarify if the diamonds are from the earth OR from the lab.
They use words like “actual” “real” “as genuine as reality can be” without saying words like natural or earth mined.
The other interesting thing is “no returns” accepted (maybe under Singapore law there is no obligation to offer a return / refund policy) and you can’t “pick” your diamond. You get one at the size ordered but colour and clarity is variable and unknown until you see your ring, and bad luck if you don’t like it.
A bit moot anyway, website says “out of stock”.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Just because it’s a lab diamond doesn’t mean it is automatically D/IF. I don’t understand the comment that color/clarity grades are only used to describe mined diamonds.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just because it’s a lab diamond doesn’t mean it is automatically D/IF. I don’t understand the comment that color/clarity grades are only used to describe mined diamonds.

That person is a fair representation of most consumers. They have been taught that descriptors like a H VS1 are two C’s of the four when one is looking for a mined diamond. They don’t realise that lab grown stones are also graded to the same standards as mined stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results