shape
carat
color
clarity

15 Pointer or 20 Pointer Eternity Band??

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Hello PSers,

This is my first post on Price Scope after lurking/drooling for many months. I am in the process of deciding on a full eternity band and I was wondering if any of you could give me a little advice. I am trying to chose between 15 and 20 point stones. I am not pairing this ring with a solitaire, instead, this will be my engagement ring and may be paired with a plain 2mm wedding band or a thin eternity down the road. I have gotten a price from a PS vendor that I am interested in doing business with and the difference in price between the two is approx. $1200. I was wondering if you think that the difference in the size of the diamonds would be worth the difference in price. I read on here that the difference in spread between the two sizes is about .4mm do you think it would really be that distinguishable? I'm sorry if I'm splitting hairs here but I want to make sure that I get it right the first time around. For reference, I have size six fingers and I am think of getting the ring in size 6.25. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got my shared prong 15 pointer eternity band from WF and I love the look and feel of it! It's about 3.4mm. I wear it as a RHR (but it's pictured on my left hand). I wear anywhere between a size 6 to 6.5.

img_129.jpg

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Mom 2 Boys your band is absolutly beautiful and substantial enough to stand on its own. I'm thinking I should just save that extra $1200 for the wedding band based on this pic :)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
I am having a 6-stone wedding band made with 15 pointers. My ring size is 4.5. The diamonds were from my original wedding ring and were from my husband's grandmother. Here are some pictures of the new band with my new e-ring. (Both of the rings have since been changed slightly, but this will give you an idea of the size of the 15 pointers.)

Sounds like you are working on a beautiful project! I look forward to seeing the pictures of whatever you decide.

Good luck!!

myrings2.png

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Hello Dougsgirl! Your set is gorgeous :love: It seems to me that 15 pointers can be quite versatile since they can hold their own as a stand alone band and could also be paired with another ring for a more blingy look, what more could you possibly ask for?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this is your engagement ring and you're wondering whether to go bigger, I would say YES - the difference between 15 pt and 20 pts would be noticeable and probably worth it to me.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motownmama|1348757920|3275476 said:
If this is your engagement ring and you're wondering whether to go bigger, I would say YES - the difference between 15 pt and 20 pts would be noticeable and probably worth it to me.

I agree! I'd go for the bigger stones too.

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mowtownmoma and Junebug so it seems that I'm not splitting hairs, good to know.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gemmy123,
I was recently pondering the same question for my wedding band. I'm far from an expert, but I'll offer my thoughts as they pertained to me.
I loved the look of the 20's. It is big and very sparkly! That size, however, started to compete with my e-ring (not a problem for you, but one for me). I also thought about how hard I am on my rings. I know I'll baby my eternity, but I also know that I'm going to accidentally whack it occasionally, and the thought of replacing a 15 pointer is easier than a 20 pointer (I am cheap :mrgreen: )
So (for me, for my w-ring), 15 pointers made more sense. They make a substantial enough ring for when I wear it by itself too, an important feature.
All that being said, if this is your e-ring, and a stand alone piece, get the 20's. I can absolutely tell the difference on my finger, so chances are you can too.

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you JaneSmith I am always drawn to the cheaper option too and have a difficult time justifying spending money on myself or in this case asking my SO to spend it :lol:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome on Pricescope!
What about a five stone band? More comfortable, no problem if you need to size it up/down, you can go with bigger diamonds and get more bling impact.
:wavey:

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Hello Purplesilk I have also seriously considered a five stone (I feel it is the more practical option of the two) but it was the eternity band that took my breath away even at a smaller size than I'm thinking of getting now. But even still I think sometimes I could be getting bigger diamonds with the five stone and wonder if I should just go that route even though I just LOVE the eternity band :twirl:... Decisions, decisions. I have shown the SO as well and he also preferred the eternity band I have mentioned the sizing issue and he has just said we'll deal with it when/if it happens.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I got it...a five stone band could be an option, but the eternity ring makes your heart sing...

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Exactly.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dsc_0420.jpg

~22 pointers. Love to wear it on its own. If you're wearing it alone, or with a simple band, I def say go bigger or go home!! If price is an issue, get less diamonds, maybe a 3/4 eternity? Mine is a 3/4.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a pic I just took of it next to my rolling ring. The rolling ring is 1/4 inch thick for the whole ring, and I'm a size 7.5-8 for comparison.

photo_96.jpg

If I could, I would totally get a 5 stone with larger melee for more "oomph". I'm almost sad that half the melee on the 3/4 aren't "seen" since they're hidden by my hand. But I am also grateful that my ring can turn a bit, and none of the bar part shows up top too often.

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the pics Madelise. Your ring is gorgeous and certainly substantial. Perhaps I should give a five stone more thought, I didn't really love the ones that I tried on in the store but I also disliked the settings so that may have had something to do with it. They also didn't have great finger spread which is obviously important to me. Maybe get a five stone as an engagement ring and an thin eternity as a wedding band??? Than I can have the best of both worlds??? I was seriously considering the whiteflash skye setting a couple of months ago.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For me I love the idea of a 5 stone e-ring and a thin eternity for a wedding band!!! This could be that I'm pinching pennies for just this exact combo! :naughty: I have the eternity (channel set from Facets that I :love: :love: :love: ) just need to pinch bigger pennies to save for the 5 stone! :D Which ever you choose will be beautiful! :D

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've also got a 5 stone ring that's a little over 2 ctw for comparison:

img_135.jpg

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Gemmy123|1348883442|3276297 said:
Thanks for the pics Madelise. Your ring is gorgeous and certainly substantial. Perhaps I should give a five stone more thought, I didn't really love the ones that I tried on in the store but I also disliked the settings so that may have had something to do with it. They also didn't have great finger spread which is obviously important to me. Maybe get a five stone as an engagement ring and an thin eternity as a wedding band??? Than I can have the best of both worlds??? I was seriously considering the whiteflash skye setting a couple of months ago.
YES! This is what I thought of, but you seemed to have your heart set on the eternity. I love the idea of a big five stone with a smaller eternity band.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-5-stone-ring-thread.134007/[/URL]

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with 20 pointers and with full eternity. This way you're not cutting any corners and you'll be 100% happy with your engagement ring on your first go. As this is your e-ring, bigger is better. Sure, it might feel really blingy to you at the beginning but you'll soon get used to it... :)

I always loved eternity bands but managed to talk myself into 5-stone, 1/2 or 3/4 eternity rings instead for variety of reasons until I finally got one last year. Like you, it makes my heart sing :).

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm loving the 5 (or even 7 stone idea :Up_to_something: ) as your ering then adding a thin pave band as your WB. total wall of white blinginess!!! :lickout:

On the 5 stone thread linked above, go to age 6, top post and you'll see a 5 stone w the pave band. Gorgeous!! :love:

That's what I'd do - then you would not have to worry about damage or resizing issues as much as w a full eternity. Ok, I guess spinning becomes an issue.... ;))

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
I agree, it is gorgeous and blingy!

stci

Ideal_Rock
IMO, a 15 pointers is ok for a 6 finger size. Really gorgeous!

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
chiquitapet said:
I'd go with 20 pointers and with full eternity. This way you're not cutting any corners and you'll be 100% happy with your engagement ring on your first go. As this is your e-ring, bigger is better. Sure, it might feel really blingy to you at the beginning but you'll soon get used to it... :)

I always loved eternity bands but managed to talk myself into 5-stone, 1/2 or 3/4 eternity rings instead for variety of reasons until I finally got one last year. Like you, it makes my heart sing :).

I am worried that I will feel like I talked myself out of it too :errrr:

AP1976

Shiny_Rock
I just got my 7 stone band about 2 weeks ago and I'm thrilled with my choice!! Mine are 21 pointers and they're perfect for me, I'm a size 8 so my fingers are bigger than yours but I think the 20 point range is perfect!

img_143.jpg

img_144.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since this is to be your engagement ring, I would go for the 20 pointers. Sounds like the eternity band is what you really want so go for it. The $1200 divided by many years will not be that much more money in the long run. Settling on something to save some money now will probably not make you happy in the long run.

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
MissGotRocks said:
Since this is to be your engagement ring, I would go for the 20 pointers. Sounds like the eternity band is what you really want so go for it. The $1200 divided by many years will not be that much more money in the long run. Settling on something to save some money now will probably not make you happy in the long run.

Thanks MissGotRocks that is true $1200 doesn't amount to much over the long term.

Gemmy123

Shiny_Rock
AP1976 I love the proportion to finger size just gorgeous :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results