shape
carat
color
clarity

14k or 18k

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks, I''m checking those sites out now.

I''m ok with my budget, for the most part. It''s just I''ve had all these people give me sites to look at, and each time someone suggests a site, I look at, then have to respond to them "thanks, but that site is over my budget too".

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Sorry Aedin, I didn''t know you meant thickness. You didn''t mention the width, so I figured the 1.4mm was the width. Sally can definitely make you a 2mm thick 8mm wide band, as for the price, you''ll have to ask her. It will depend largely on the finished weight of the piece. Best thing to do is to contact her and get a quote.

Good luck in finding the perfect band!

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well freefly, we totally misunderstood each other, but you still helped me out. I looked at some rings I have, and decided that 1.4mm isn''t thick enough anyway, and you''re the one who made me think to check, so thanks.

I have a friend who offered to order a ring for me (and my dad has a friend who hopefully would also be able to order it, if it comes down to it) from a company that only sells to people in the industry (of which I am not in the industry) and it''s a good price, so I think I found who I''m gonna get the ring from. Now the only thing is the months of saving lol.

Thanks everyone.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2009 7:24:28 PM
Author: D&T

try sunjewelry.com you can select which karat and whether comfort fit, or flat or with milgrain and looks like within your price range lots of option with varying widths. I have not bought from them before, but I have talked with them on more than a few occasions and they have been prompt and answered my questions fully. Good luck

tp://www.sunjewelry.com/plain14golwe.html
Although the number of styles of "plain bands" is limited, this site is truly wonderful, D&T! It gives every choice for every metal in every size for the bands that it does offer, and it automatically shows the price, too. (And, in my opinion, the price is excellent.) This is a fabulous resource and we shouldn't lose sight of it! Thank you for for posting it. It should really be posted in the gold thread, too, so that people can always find it! Would you like to do the honors?

AGBF
34.gif

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade

I have another question. The site I''m hoping to buy my ring from, apparently their comfort fit rings are cast. My question is, for me, would getting a cast ring be ok? I have a friend (and my dad has a friend) who might order a ring from Stuller for me (since I''m not in the industry) and I heard the kind of ring I want from Stuller, they only do it with casting. Do they generally have a high quality casting, where porosity might not be such a problem? It''s kindof a big issue for me, so it would be nice to know before I buy anything lol.

Thanks for any answers.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
10/31/2009 6:05:46 PM
Author: Aedin

The site I'm hoping to buy my ring from, apparently their comfort fit rings are cast. My question is, for me, would getting a cast ring be ok? I have a friend (and my dad has a friend) who might order a ring from Stuller for me (since I'm not in the industry) and I heard the kind of ring I want from Stuller, they only do it with casting. Do they generally have a high quality casting, where porosity might not be such a problem?

I'm afraid I don't know anything about this, Aedin. Maybe jewelerman would, or another person (like Lisa) who is studying to be a gemologist or working in the field. I know that when Rick Martin made an opal ring for my daughter that we used a Stuller setting, that they are very standard, but that's about it for me! (Sharon did some bench work if I recall correctly, maybe she would know!)

AGBF
34.gif

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yeah, I know they''re standard, which is why I''m hoping they''re good enough. I just figured it would be best to ask anyway. Maybe I should make another thread?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2009 5:50:02 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 10/28/2009 7:24:28 PM
Author: D&T

try sunjewelry.com you can select which karat and whether comfort fit, or flat or with milgrain and looks like within your price range lots of option with varying widths. I have not bought from them before, but I have talked with them on more than a few occasions and they have been prompt and answered my questions fully. Good luck

tp://www.sunjewelry.com/plain14golwe.html
Although the number of styles of ''plain bands'' is limited, this site is truly wonderful, D&T! It gives every choice for every metal in every size for the bands that it does offer, and it automatically shows the price, too. (And, in my opinion, the price is excellent.) This is a fabulous resource and we shouldn''t lose sight of it! Thank you for for posting it. It should really be posted in the gold thread, too, so that people can always find it! Would you like to do the honors?

AGBF
34.gif
awww Thanks AGBF, I will mosey on over to the thread
1.gif
. I do love looking at the site as it gives you the price right off the bat and if you wanted something slight tweak, it won''t be sooo hugely marked up and (can''t remember his name) but very helpful and always prompt, I hope to purchase from them eventually.

Aedin- as far as your price range and you wanting something that is NOT cast (hot extrusion?) may not be feasible, but many rings now adays are cast to help keep the price down and I think it will hold up for a long period of time.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Is there a big difference, durability and hardness-wise, between cast, and stuff like die-struck? I don''t know how many ways there are of making a ring, or the differences between them, which ones are better and all that. And is there a big difference between cast and die-struck, for palladium? I guess I''m wondering for both 18k gold and palladium.

Thanks.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here is my take on die struck and cast although this is purely my opinion. If you were to have a diamond in your ring, and having prongs hold the diamond then I would essentially go die struck for the head since it will be much more durable than cast. if you only have a band no diamonds, gems or anything in the band then, I would more than likely just go the most economical and readily available route which maybe cast. I have a coworker that has been married for over twenty years, with a band (wide) but not that thick and has never taken it off. She has no problem with it whatsoever I think it is also 14k. I just polished it for her with my sunshine cloth the other day, and it looks new
9.gif

ETA: I'm not very familiar with Palladium, however some jeweler don't like to work with palladium but I can't remember why, maybe someone else will be able to chime in as far as palladium is concern.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
And what if I were to set a stone in the ring later? (I might possibly do that, so it has to be a concern) The ring I''m hoping to from Stuller, will be 2.25mm thick, and even though it''ll be 18k, I''m hoping to have the same experience your coworker has LOL.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2009 12:43:43 AM
Author: Aedin
And what if I were to set a stone in the ring later? (I might possibly do that, so it has to be a concern) The ring I''m hoping to from Stuller, will be 2.25mm thick, and even though it''ll be 18k, I''m hoping to have the same experience your coworker has LOL.
you mean burnished in or gypsy set? I don''t think it would be a problem, if you were to have some sort of prongs later I''m not sure, as when I wanted a ring from Jareds a while back, it was a beautiful wide eternity band with channel diamonds on the edges, and I thought of having my diamond held up with prongs and they said it wasn''t a problem
37.gif
to put prongs in the middle of the band, so really if you have skilled benchman, I''m sure many things are possible and if isn''t you''ll just get another beautiful ring
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results