shape
carat
color
clarity

14k or 18k

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, but I couldn''t figure out where else to post it.

Should probably say first that I''m only talking about, and only considering, yellow gold, no white gold.

I''m planning on saving up to buy a new ring, and am having a hard time deciding between 14k and 18k. I like that 18k is supposed to have like, a deeper golden color, and has more actual gold content. The main issue for me, which I keep hearing conflicting opinions about (which is why I''m asking this here) is how much of a difference there is between 14k and 18k.

Some people say only 14k is suitable for everyday wear (which is what I''d be doing) and that 18k is too soft, it''ll scratch too easily, and wear out too easily. Some people have said that 18k is fine for everyday wear though, and have said that there''s only a slight difference in durability and hardness between 18k and 14k.

I''ve also heard different opinions on the color difference, that they look the same, or only look slightly different. Keep in mind I''m talking about yellow gold. I''m hoping to go to a jewelry store and try to see the difference in color myself, but I thought I should also get other people''s opinions too.

Whatever ring I get, I''d prefer to have it be an everyday wear ring. I have a few 14k gold rings that I wear everyday and have been fine. They''re scratched, but still shiny. I don''t take them off, I wear them when I go to bed, when I take a shower, when I wash my hands, I don''t take them off for anything unless I don''t feel like wearing them, and they''ve turned out totally fine. I guess I''m wondering, does anyone here know if it''s possible to do that with 18k, or will all that stuff totally mess an 18k ring up?

I don''t really do anything that hard on the hands. I get on the computer, type, play video games, sometimes pick things up and carry them, the usual. I''m not really a mechanic, or a farmer, or a landscaper, or do anything that I believe constitutes "using heavy machinery", not a carpenter or anything. I guess to make it simple (too late) I don''t really do anything that involves heavy lifting, or machine use, or banging my hands, or rings, against anything, other than the usual, like rings touching the keyboard, or the door or the wall or something. Basically the general touching objects, or slight hitting, like smacking a wall or something. Nothing that hard or heavy. I ramble a lot, sorry. The stuff about sleeping, and wearing them in the shower, and while I wash my hands, are probably the "hardest wearing" things I do while I wear rings.

Thanks all.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
10/23/2009 2:24:31 PM
Author:Aedin

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, but I couldn't figure out where else to post it.

Welcome, Aedin. This is a perfect place to have put your posting. I will also give you a link to a thread that is sometimes called, \"the gold thread\" because people who post to it discuss gold, primaraily yellow gold, in all its purities. However, the discussion in that thread gets to be very esoteric at times, and I do not think that that would be helpful to you right now. I think a thread of your own is the best way to go!

I have pieces of jewelry in 14K, 18K, 22K, and 24K gold and I wear all of them. The wedding band that I have been wearing for about a month is 24K and I never take it off, even to do dishes or when using abrasive cleansers. I would not treat every piece of 24K jewelry that way, however, believe me!

I think that if the look of 18K gold appeals to you (it does to me) and the idea of it appeals to you, that you should buy it without any hesitation about durability whatsoever. Everyone in Italy wears only 18K gold jewelry,after all. It is plenty durable!

If you get into higher karat gold (22K or 24K), then you have to start asking yourself if its softness is right for you. The answer is usually, "yes" when I ask myself the question, because I am quite careful with most of my jewelry (as opposed to the wedding bands I wear). So I take good care of my soft 22K and 24K pieces. Not everyone in the West wants to do that, however. A real lady in China wouldn't be caught dead in anything less than 24K gold, however. Anything less would be costume jewelry to her!

I hope that I have been helpful, but I really hope that others will chime in. We could use more opinions in this thread!

Please let us know what you do, Aedin :).

PS-My original engagement ring and wedding band are 18K gold since they were bought in Italy and I wore them all the time the way you say that you wear your rings with no ill effects! I still have them. I just like some variety in what I wear so I wear different wedding bands.

AGBF
34.gif

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your post. To be honest, I''ve been reading posts on this site for a couple weeks now, and you''re actually one of the people that started to convince me 18k could be a good choice, one of the people that started convincing me it probably isn''t as soft as I believed, and could be durable enough for every day wear. About the ring you''ve been wearing for a month, what is the condition of it now? I''m hoping not to like, wear down my ring, or wear it out, or whatnot. I''m also hoping scratches wouldn''t affect the shinyness (cause after all, we all love shiny things) I mean, generally, my 14k rings are pretty scratched up ( the two I wear most often anyway) but they''re still pretty shiny. I''m hoping the same will be the case for an 18k ring. I guess my point is, the ring getting scratched up wouldn''t be such a big deal to me, as long as it was still shiny, but if your rings get like, worn down, worn out, and misshapen, then I''d be a bit iffy about getting 18k.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
I couldn''t find out how to edit my post, sorry. This whole discussion topic makes me think of something. Besides price, is there any real reason to go for 14k over 18k? Like, is there really a difference in durability and hardness, and if there is a difference, is it really a big deal?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 14 kt yg on my left hand and 18 kt on my rt hand. I really can''t see the difference in the color or the durability.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
10/23/2009 4:43:25 PM
Author: Aedin

About the ring you've been wearing for a month, what is the condition of it now? I'm hoping not to like, wear down my ring, or wear it out, or whatnot. I'm also hoping scratches wouldn't affect the shinyness (cause after all, we all love shiny things)
This is a good question, Aedin :). The reason that I don't worry about this particular 24K band is that it is a hammered gold band. The surface is textured, not shiny. I find the gold color to be shiny and beautiful, but it doesn't have a "high gloss" finish. I do not have to worry about scratching it because it has a lovely patina now and scratches will only make the patina prettier. The same may not be true of regular 18K gold ring.

My experience has been that 18K gold does not scratch very easily, but since you also ask if there is any reason why you should purchase 18K gold I would have to say: absolutely not! 14K gold is a bit more durable. If you don't find 18K gold more golden yellow to your eye (or if you do and you do not like that yellow), there is no reason on earth that you should buy it! For a long time I preferred 14K gold to high karat gold. I found the look of 24K gold harsh and liked the pale gold of 14K gold better. I liked the pale yellow color. You must buy and wear what pleases you!

PS- I just reread your posting. I misread it the first time. You didn't ask if there was any reason to buy 18K, but if there was any other reason to buy 14K besides price and durability! I think I touched on it above. Color. You should buy 14K if you prefer a softer, pale yellow color.

AGBF
34.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had conversation with a jeweler recently about this as well as the benchman. Here is my take, if you were considering 18k or 14k yellow gold (yellow) being different in color then go with what you would like most. My jeweler said if I were to choose between 14k white gold and 18k white gold, the difference in color is not noticeable at all. The real difference obviously is the softness but also the brittle portion of the gold, if you were to have Prongs the the less "K" you go down, the more brittle the metal becomes, even though it will retain its shape better than the higher gold content so if you were to bend a wire made of 18k or 14k back and forth, you will see that the 14k will break off before the 18k will if that makes sense, so the lower you go down in Karat the better the piece will retain their shape however it will be more brittle. The higher you go up in Karat, the less brittle but the softer and shape may not be retained as well as the lower karat. I hope I didn't confuse you too much

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Love 18k for it''s B e a u ty & richness. Yeah it may scratch easily but let''s face it....ie if you are gardening with 10k-18k you bet you''re going to scratch it no matter what. But for normal wear I don''t see issues with 18k at all, I''ve worn a 22k [2mm] against 4mm diamond band [RH] in 18k for almost 2 years w/o any problems. I don''t think there''s a big deal, just a personal preference.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My preference is 18K, love the richness if it. I haven''t had any durability problems with any of my 18K rings. But then again, I am gentle on my jewelry.

So glad you joined PS!!! I can''t wait to see your ring...
35.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 14K and 18K, I can see a difference, I just adore the richness of 18K
3.gif

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''ve heard that like, finishes other than the shiny polish finish (finishes like hammered or satin or whatnot) eventually wear down into like, the shiny polish. Is that true? And if it is true, will they start scratching after that? I just heard that the wear on a polished finish is the scratches and all, and the wear on another kind of finish, is that it becomes the polished finish.

I would not prefer the pale yellow color, no. So that''s part of the reason I want 18k. Some people have said they can''t see the color difference, or that it''s only a slight difference. Is that usually the case, or is it uncommon that there''s only a slight difference?

D&T says 14k retains shape better, but breaks off faster than 18k would. Is there a real chance of my ring becoming misshapen if I get 18k?

And last, is it''s gonna take me probablyu about seven months of saving, just to get the ring itself (I''m buying a plain wedding band, then will probably have a jeweler I know add some stuff to it) so it''ll be a while before pictures are posted lol.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
diamondrnglover posted while I was replying, but their post made me think of something. Anyone posting in this topic that has both 14k and 18k rings, would you mind posting a picture of both of them? I''ve seen some people do comparison pictures on here to help people see the difference between platinum and palladium, and white gold, so I think maybe a comparison picture could help some people like me out.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think you need to worry about 18K getting bent out of shape. My wedding set is 18K gold -- I''ve been married for 13 years, I never take them off, and they are still perfect circles. My wedding band is fairly thick, but my engagement ring is only 1mm thick on the inside of my finger, so it''s fairly delicate looking. I use my hands the same way as you.

The scratches -- everything gets scratched, you know? I think 18K is hard enough that everyday wear causes only light scratching that just becomes a patina, not damage -- and just to define that a little, to me, "patina" does not equal a matte finish, my rings are plenty shiny.

So I don''t think durability is an issue. I think your choice should be with regards to the color. I do think there is a difference between 18K and 14K, visually. As already said, it''s really down to your own preference.

I have bracelets in both 14K and 18K. I''ll try to take pictures tomorrow for you.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks tntyau, the pictures will be something to look forward to.

The only place I could find rings within my budget (which still requires about seven months of saving *manly tears*) is a few respectable-looking stores on ebay. Only one of those stores has 18k rings, and the one I''m looking at, they say it''s like, 1.4mm thick. I''m hoping that''s thick enough.

Which actually unexpectedly brings me to another question, but I can''t ask my jeweler cause I''ve asked him so much already. I know plating always comes off eventually, and I seem to remember reading that that''s because the plated metal, is always different than the base metal. My question is, if you plated a thick layer of 18k gold on a (possibly) thin 18k gold ring, would the plating be more stable than like, a regular gold plated ring you can get on ebay?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 7:55:37 PM
I've heard that like, finishes other than the shiny polish finish (finishes like hammered or satin or whatnot) eventually wear down into like, the shiny polish. Is that true? And if it is true, will they start scratching after that? I just heard that the wear on a polished finish is the scratches and all, and the wear on another kind of finish, is that it becomes the polished finish.

I would not prefer the pale yellow color, no. So that's part of the reason I want 18k. Some people have said they can't see the color difference, or that it's only a slight difference. Is that usually the case, or is it uncommon that there's only a slight difference?

D&T says 14k retains shape better, but breaks off faster than 18k would. Is there a real chance of my ring becoming misshapen if I get 18k?

And last, is it's gonna take me probablyu about seven months of saving, just to get the ring itself (I'm buying a plain wedding band, then will probably have a jeweler I know add some stuff to it) so it'll be a while before pictures are posted lol.
yes, on polish ring, it will be scratched and over time, it will become a bit dull.. thus you go for polishing (I've only done it a few times in five years - because you are polishing away very minute amount of gold each time you go for a professional polish) and looks all shiny and new again, The satin/matte finish will also start to become more polished over time as you'll be "smoothing" out the tiny bumps that create the satin finish look and you will want to get it touched up as well (my jeweler mentioned that the satin finish will show up scratches more so than the High polish/shiny finish).
Yes I can tell the difference between my 18k yellow and 14k yellow.

18K will retain its shape for quite a long time, just depend how thin and dainty your shanks are and how hard you are with your hands on other solid surface - (are you going to be gripping 20lbs dumbar daily while wearing your ring? ) otherwise durability with 18k shouldn't be an issue.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 1:24:07 AM
Thanks tntyau, the pictures will be something to look forward to.

The only place I could find rings within my budget (which still requires about seven months of saving *manly tears*) is a few respectable-looking stores on ebay. Only one of those stores has 18k rings, and the one I''m looking at, they say it''s like, 1.4mm thick. I''m hoping that''s thick enough.

Which actually unexpectedly brings me to another question, but I can''t ask my jeweler cause I''ve asked him so much already. I know plating always comes off eventually, and I seem to remember reading that that''s because the plated metal, is always different than the base metal. My question is, if you plated a thick layer of 18k gold on a (possibly) thin 18k gold ring, would the plating be more stable than like, a regular gold plated ring you can get on ebay?
Hi Aedin. I hope your search is going well. I would personally go with 18k gold, the rich color is just so beautiful. Most of my gold is in 18k, and I''ve had no issues with durability. You might want to check out seller sapphiregarden on Ebay or heartofwaterjewels on Etsy for your ring. Sally makes the most beautiful handmade pieces in 18k gold and at very reasonable prices.

If you do a search on here about Sally and heart of water jewels, you will see tons of jewelry made by her that''s completely handmade. Hope that helps!
35.gif

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Hi Aedin, here are some pics, if you're eye sensitive you would def see a difference between 14-18k and I agree with others about durability, if you are hard on jewelry and wear while cleaning, gardening... you would have more wear in all metals
2.gif

14k, 18k, 18k different width, 21k respectively:

14-21k2.JPG

Camille

Shiny_Rock
1.gif

14-21k.JPG

Camille

Shiny_Rock
I should wear more yellow......
17.gif

14-21k1.JPG

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yeah, if I did any heavy lifting, or worked with heavy machinery, I''d probably take my rings off first anyway lol.

As to the pictures, to be honest, I do see only a slight difference. However, that difference is enough for me, especially since I hold my 14k rings up to the picture, and my rings look totally different from the 14k ring in the picture, that it makes me wonder if the difference between 14k and 18k is greater in person.

I''m hoping to go to some jewelry stores soon and see the difference in person, but I don''t know when I''ll be able to.

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Oh wait. Is the third picture you posted (Camille) like, a more full picture of the rings you posted two other pictures of? If so, yeah, I see more of a difference between 14k and 18k in the third picture, and I do like 18k more.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Here are my bracelets, in overcast sunlight: 18K, 18K, 14K. The two carved bracelets are from the same artist, with the same motif, so it''s a good apples-to-apples representation of the difference in alloy. The other bracelet is in the picture because it doesn''t come off.
2.gif

tnt18141.jpg

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Here they are in incandescent lighting. Not as much visual difference, but I think it''s because of the lower lighting. I can definitely see a difference in brighter indoor lighting, say like my office, to the point that I can''t wear 18K and 14K together.

tnt18142.jpg

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey again all.

I''m a little tired, and had a long day, so sorry if this doesn''t make sense. I found another site that sells rings, and was reminded of other sites I''ve found (and don''t have the links to) and it was all kindof overwhelming, so I figured I''d come here to ask.

Does anyone on this site, know a good site that sells 18k rings, just plain wedding bands, in a size ten, for under, like, five hundred dollars? If not, I''ll just get the 18k ring I found on ebay (which seems like a good price, it''s just that it''s only 1.4mm thick, and I''m not sure if that will be too thin for me or not). And if anyone does know a good site, please let me know so I can check it out.

Thanks.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Sally at Heartofwaterjewels on Etsy can make you a custom band in 18k gold. If it''s only 1.4mm, it will be way less than $500. I would recommend going up in width though, 1.4mm is VERY thin. She can make you a gorgeous band that''s much thicker in your budget.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
e-weddingbands.com is a great place to buy plain wedding bands from. Good luck!

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
I checked e-wedding bands, and they''re way over my budget unfortunately.

freefly, I''m a little confused by your post. You mention both width, and thickness, so I don''t know if I confused you, or if you just confused me, but I figure I should be more specific.

I''m hoping, width wise (like how much it covers on your finger when you look down at it) for the ring to be about 8mm. But the only 8mm 18k ring I''ve found so far, in my budget, is 1.4mm thick, when you look at it from the side, like a profile view. Would she be able to make an 8mm wide 18k ring that is more than 1.4mm thick (I''m hoping for at least around 2mm thick) for under 500? Cause 500 is like, my upper limit, and I''m hoping to pay less than that, but will pay that much if needed.

Also, if there''s any jewelers here, if I got an 18k ring (like the one on ebay) and then had a jeweler like, plate more 18k gold onto the ring, would the plating wear off, like a regular gold plated ring you can get on ebay, or would it like, be more stable, cause you''re plating (or filling, whatever you want to call it) 18k gold onto more 18k gold?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
try sunjewelry.com you can select which karat and whether comfort fit, or flat or with milgrain and looks like within your price range lots of option with varying widths. I have not bought from them before, but I have talked with them on more than a few occasions and they have been prompt and answered my questions fully. Good luck

tp://www.sunjewelry.com/plain14golwe.html

Aedin

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for that link D&T, it''s an interesting site, I''ll probably look at it a lot lol.

Unfortunately, I looked up the specific kind of ring I want, in the right karat and width and all that, and that site, too, is out of my budget. I don''t know if I''m more frustrated that all of these sites are out of my budget, or frustrated with myself for setting my budget as low as I have.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results