shape
carat
color
clarity

$12,000USD to spend on a diamond - can anyone help?

Trifides

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I hope you can help me. I got engaged a few weeks and have been looking at home (Europe) for a ring. Prices seem to be very inflated here and apart from a cert (eg GIA), no jeweller seems to be able to give me any further information on the rings eg with idealscopes etc.
FYI I've been offered at local jewellers-

2.01 carat, K, SI1, very good cut (no cert) in a simple white gold band for $14,500 (ex vat as second hand)
1.51 carat, F, VS2, excellent cut GIA in a simple white gold band for $19,000 (incl vat 22%)
1.71 carat, I, VS2, triple Ex GIA in a simple white gold band for $19,000 (incl vat 22%)

Apart from being out of our budget (!) they seem to be quite a bit more expensive than online retailers in the US such as WhiteFlash, Brian Gavin, James Allen and don't offer idealscope, Aset etc so we would only have part idea of what I'm getting.

Because of this, we've decided to look for a diamond with a recommended online retailer as named above, however we are both novices when it comes to diamonds. 3 weeks ago I just about knew about the 4C's and even though we've read a lot since I don't feel confident in making a decision.

I'd like to buy a diamond on its own and get it set here as it will cost me more (duty) to import as a ring.
This is what I'm looking at ideally-
$11,500 - $13,000 USD (before vat)
Solitaire, round, F to H colour, around 1.5 carats, VS1-SI1, H&A cut.
I think this is realistic for our budget but correct me if I'm wrong? I'm 5ft9in tall and have medium-large hands so small diamonds look a bit lost on me hence the 1.5 carat. Also, I will be putting the ring in a plain white gold setting so the stone will be doing all the work on its own!

If anyone could make any suggestions, I'd be really grateful. I don't intend to upgrade this ring so we want to make a good decision.

Many thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can vouch for Whiteflash as a European buyer, I've just had a completely stress free and speedy transaction with them and will definitely be buying from them again. Even the FedEx service they used was spot on- 3 days for dispatch, payment of VAT and delivery to my door.

Trifides

Rough_Rock
Re: $12,000 USD to spend on a diamond - can anyone help?

Thanks for all your advice. I have to admit that I'm a little adverse to J-K (and possibly I) after seeing the stone at my local jeweller which I could see the yellow in. I had a quick look before I posted the first mail and saw this-

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3586208.htm - is this a good choice?

Of course I'd like something a little bigger than this one like the 1.6-1.8 gypsy has very kindly posted but then I seem to be back in the yellower colour range.
So I feel I'm still looking at - $11,500 - $13,000 USD (before vat), solitaire, round, F to H colour, around 1.5 carats, VS1-SI1, H&A cut.

Trifides

Rough_Rock
BTW, this is the J-K uncertified 2.01 carat I saw in the shop at home. GIA fellow rated it at very good cut, SI1. Seems a bit yellow to me?

318__2_.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert, but generally unless the actual GIA has color graded it (i.e., a GIA certificate), the color is probably a grade or two lower than they say. Clarity, too.

Go see a GIA or AGS certified H-J stone and see if you find them too tinted. (plus, stick with excellent or ideal cuts because "very good" means "not very good")

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: $12,000 USD to spend on a diamond - can anyone help?

Trifides|1462973502|4030200 said:
Thanks for all your advice. I have to admit that I'm a little adverse to J-K (and possibly I) after seeing the stone at my local jeweller which I could see the yellow in. I had a quick look before I posted the first mail and saw this-

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3586208.htm - is this a good choice?

Of course I'd like something a little bigger than this one like the 1.6-1.8 gypsy has very kindly posted but then I seem to be back in the yellower colour range.
So I feel I'm still looking at - $11,500 - $13,000 USD (before vat), solitaire, round, F to H colour, around 1.5 carats, VS1-SI1, H&A cut.

This stone is an outstanding choice because it is just under 1.5 cts so you avoid the price jump at that point. These stones are relatively rare and I would reserve it asap if you are interested because it will not be there for long. I have Whiteflash ACA diamond stud earrings and they are gorgeous and top cut quality!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results