shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 1.84 cape old mine diamond & antique diamond ring

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will start by saying this is very wordy and the glamour shots will not be here for a few days, but I know people are anxiously waiting. (Well, really I’m just anxiously waiting. Nobody is asking lol!)

The ring was not purchased whole but instead both ring and stone were purchased separately second hand.
The stone was purchased first. Here is a photo of the listing :
IMG_2945.jpeg
As you can see, this photo is atrocious, but I was intrigued by the itty bitty table. Plus, having been appraised, I at least had a rough idea of what I was getting in terms of color/clarity. I took the appraisal with a grain of salt- but the appraisal referred to the diamond color as “fancy light yellow” - a far cry from what I saw in the photo.
With no return policy I felt I’d be comfortable buying only if they took a lowball. For about a year I submitted lowballs from time to time - which of course were declined. Eventually I wore her down, though. When the diamond arrived I was thrilled! The color was even better than I told myself to expect and so was the performance! I wasn’t interested in a stone that was “sometimes yellow sometimes white” as some mid range OECs can exhibit. This isn’t one of those. At its lightest the stone exhibits a soft butter color. Had they known how to take a photo, it wouldn’t have sat around for a year.
IMG_2871.jpeg

The weekend the stone I expected the stone delivered I said “let’s look for a used setting .“ As everyone knows ( or should know!), that is a tricky business. These days eBay sellers want an arm and a leg for used mountings (sometimes more than it would cost to make new and properly for your stone). Also, most eBay listings will not lists the mm size of the opening- so who even knows what size stone will fit in there! It’s near impossible an endeavor. But I had idol hands while I was waiting for my stone, so for a day or so I was searching eBay for rings. I expected this search to take months with little chance of being fruitful. I have some tricks for fining cheaper settings but of course those are close to the vest. I tried one random search and found a beauty- just listed. It was bidding at $8 with a low BIN.
Here was the only description.
“BEAUTIFUL PLATINUM SMALL PAVE DIAMONDS MOUNTING HOLDS ABOUT A 1 CT 3.4 GR. THIS IS A MOUNTING ONLY LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD HOLD 1 CT OR A LITTLE BIGGER”
Now this stone is at least a mm larger than your average 1ct- but here was the photo.
IMG_2946.jpeg

My experience said there’s absolutely no way that fits a 1ct diamond. I decided to trust my gut and “buy it now” right then and there. Bold for me as I usually wait an auction out, but I knew the BIN price was a steal and it wouldn’t wait til the auction ended. A genuine antique pave mount like this is hard to come by and I knew I wouldn’t get the chance again. I figured best not to be greedy and try to save $50 (would have cost me more in the end if I’d lost it).

When she came I was absolutely SHOCKED by the perfection of this fit. This setting was absolutely made for this stone! I plopped the stone in the setting it nuzzled right into the prongs- it was we like Cinderella. Here is a photo of the diamond just perched on the mount, hopefully this illustrates how snug the fit.
A136F8E8-792D-453E-B735-7A6662DF70D0.jpeg

I know some will question putting a cape colored diamond in platinum- probably a ps rule “ set a low colored diamond in yellow gold!!” but honestly it makes the color pop in a more pure way than trying to artificially enhance it with a cup. Also, I had popped one of my studs in there and frankly the setting is very boring with a white diamond in it. Lastly, there’s something really special about finding these two completely separate antique items that made it 100 years to find each other and meld so perfectly. I know not everyone loves second hand jewelry shopping the way I do, but I hope at least a few of you understand what I mean when I say I take pride in finding the serendipitous pairing.

One additional plus is that I have nothing like it, currently. Which is saying something when I own 35+ rings.
What’s amazing is I was eyeing this stone for nearly a year, I waited over 2 weeks for it to come in the mail due to weather delays. And I found this setting the day it came. AND THEY WERE MADE FOR EACH OTHER!!!

A bit of refining required before I could wear it, though. Obviously, the diamond had to be set. Also one of the melee was missing. Lastly, it was a few sizes too small. The ring has some beautiful engraving around the shank that dk managed to mimic after sizing. I have a before photo and I will get you a comparative after photo when it’s in my hot little hands.
IMG_2972.jpeg
I trust dk implicitly with these kinds of minor repairs so off it went- though I hate to ship it nearly across the country.

Today I received my email that she was finished!I hope some of you can appreciate the ring for the chance occurrence it is. If not, hopefully you at least like the eye candy. I will of course share my own photos when she returns safely home.

As for stats. Dk appraised the stone at y-z, another appraised her as FLY (I trust dk’s judgement so we’ll go with y-z), clarity in the si range (I think mostly for the flea bites, it’s more than eye clean to me). 1.84cts, 7.4x7.73mm. She an old gal, and I’d probably classify her as an OMC.

The mounting is platinum. I would wager over 100 years old though I can’t quite place the design era. You want to assume art deco buy eeeeeehhhh I just am not 100%. Plus, truth be told, I don’t care!

The photos below are mostly with the diamond nestled into the setting loose- with one quick pick from DK.
IMG_2959.jpeg
B225631A-A49A-4075-BEBC-A4AE7D0D0992.jpeg
C1D8875A-0681-4452-8E1B-0941E2B88272.jpeg
IMG_3358.jpeg

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfection~

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I love the buttery-ness of the stone! The cool platinum makes it really pop. This is an exciting project, I can't wait too see your pics when its returned and on your hand!

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Niel, I've been lurking forever and have always admired your ability to find and join these eBay pieces into incredible jewelry. This one is stunning! I can't wait to see the final photos when you have it.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Only one meme will do here. You are the undisputed Ebay Kween!

IMG_4618.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Somebody is asking lol! I have been asking! And wow, I’m incredibly jealous and astounded. I saw this on DK IG site and knew that it was your ring, but I knew that your pictures would probably be better because his studio lights tend to wash things out. The color is beautiful and I love the setting. I can’t wait to see your photos when you get it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somebody is asking lol! I have been asking! And wow, I’m incredibly jealous and astounded. I saw this on DK IG site and knew that it was your ring, but I knew that your pictures would probably be better because his studio lights tend to wash things out. The color is beautiful and I love the setting. I can’t wait to see your photos when you get it.
That actually isn’t my ring! Just a very similar one that got a more fun video at the same time I was patiently waiting lol

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That actually isn’t my ring! Just a very similar one that got a more fun video at the same time I was patiently waiting lol

Omg!!! that’s hilarious. I totally thought it was yours because they called it a vintage ring and it was a really zoomed in vid on the details. The diamond also looked low color. And when I saw it was a vintage ring, not a ring that they made from scratch I just thought for sure that was yours. How odd!

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I will start by saying this is very wordy and the glamour shots will not be here for a few days, but I know people are anxiously waiting. (Well, really I’m just anxiously waiting. Nobody is asking lol!)

The ring was not purchased whole but instead both ring and stone were purchased separately second hand.
The stone was purchased first. Here is a photo of the listing :
IMG_2945.jpeg
As you can see, this photo is atrocious, but I was intrigued by the itty bitty table. Plus, having been appraised, I at least had a rough idea of what I was getting in terms of color/clarity. I took the appraisal with a grain of salt- but the appraisal referred to the diamond color as “fancy light yellow” - a far cry from what I saw in the photo.
With no return policy I felt I’d be comfortable buying only if they took a lowball. For about a year I submitted lowballs from time to time - which of course were declined. Eventually I wore her down, though. When the diamond arrived I was thrilled! The color was even better than I told myself to expect and so was the performance! I wasn’t interested in a stone that was “sometimes yellow sometimes white” as some mid range OECs can exhibit. This isn’t one of those. At its lightest the stone exhibits a soft butter color. Had they known how to take a photo, it wouldn’t have sat around for a year.
IMG_2871.jpeg

The weekend the stone I expected the stone delivered I said “let’s look for a used setting .“ As everyone knows ( or should know!), that is a tricky business. These days eBay sellers want an arm and a leg for used mountings (sometimes more than it would cost to make new and properly for your stone). Also, most eBay listings will not lists the mm size of the opening- so who even knows what size stone will fit in there! It’s near impossible an endeavor. But I had idol hands while I was waiting for my stone, so for a day or so I was searching eBay for rings. I expected this search to take months with little chance of being fruitful. I have some tricks for fining cheaper settings but of course those are close to the vest. I tried one random search and found a beauty- just listed. It was bidding at $8 with a low BIN.
Here was the only description.
“BEAUTIFUL PLATINUM SMALL PAVE DIAMONDS MOUNTING HOLDS ABOUT A 1 CT 3.4 GR. THIS IS A MOUNTING ONLY LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD HOLD 1 CT OR A LITTLE BIGGER”
Now this stone is at least a mm larger than your average 1ct- but here was the photo.
IMG_2946.jpeg

My experience said there’s absolutely no way that fits a 1ct diamond. I decided to trust my gut and “buy it now” right then and there. Bold for me as I usually wait an auction out, but I knew the BIN price was a steal and it wouldn’t wait til the auction ended. A genuine antique pave mount like this is hard to come by and I knew I wouldn’t get the chance again. I figured best not to be greedy and try to save $50 (would have cost me more in the end if I’d lost it).

When she came I was absolutely SHOCKED by the perfection of this fit. This setting was absolutely made for this stone! I plopped the stone in the setting it nuzzled right into the prongs- it was we like Cinderella. Here is a photo of the diamond just perched on the mount, hopefully this illustrates how snug the fit.
A136F8E8-792D-453E-B735-7A6662DF70D0.jpeg

I know some will question putting a cape colored diamond in platinum- probably a ps rule “ set a low colored diamond in yellow gold!!” but honestly it makes the color pop in a more pure way than trying to artificially enhance it with a cup. Also, I had popped one of my studs in there and frankly the setting is very boring with a white diamond in it. Lastly, there’s something really special about finding these two completely separate antique items that made it 100 years to find each other and meld so perfectly. I know not everyone loves second hand jewelry shopping the way I do, but I hope at least a few of you understand what I mean when I say I take pride in finding the serendipitous pairing.

One additional plus is that I have nothing like it, currently. Which is saying something when I own 35+ rings.
What’s amazing is I was eyeing this stone for nearly a year, I waited over 2 weeks for it to come in the mail due to weather delays. And I found this setting the day it came. AND THEY WERE MADE FOR EACH OTHER!!!

A bit of refining required before I could wear it, though. Obviously, the diamond had to be set. Also one of the melee was missing. Lastly, it was a few sizes too small. The ring has some beautiful engraving around the shank that dk managed to mimic after sizing. I have a before photo and I will get you a comparative after photo when it’s in my hot little hands.
IMG_2972.jpeg
I trust dk implicitly with these kinds of minor repairs so off it went- though I hate to ship it nearly across the country.

Today I received my email that she was finished!I hope some of you can appreciate the ring for the chance occurrence it is. If not, hopefully you at least like the eye candy. I will of course share my own photos when she returns safely home.

As for stats. Dk appraised the stone at y-z, another appraised her as FLY (I trust dk’s judgement so we’ll go with y-z), clarity in the si range (I think mostly for the flea bites, it’s more than eye clean to me). 1.84cts, 7.4x7.73mm. She an old gal, and I’d probably classify her as an OMC.

The mounting is platinum. I would wager over 100 years old though I can’t quite place the design era. You want to assume art deco buy eeeeeehhhh I just am not 100%. Plus, truth be told, I don’t care!

The photos below are mostly with the diamond nestled into the setting loose- with one quick pick from DK.
IMG_2959.jpeg
B225631A-A49A-4075-BEBC-A4AE7D0D0992.jpeg
C1D8875A-0681-4452-8E1B-0941E2B88272.jpeg
IMG_3358.jpeg

I love everything about the stone and the setting, but the story of how they came together is amazing. Congratulations on a spectacular ring with a great story.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Dammit, you did it again. 924322

You found exactly the stone I'd like to own someday, tiny table, color and all. It's just the money I never have- but I can be patient. I'll only want the one, so I hope you'll help me when the time comes!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolute perfection! Congratulations on such an amazing find (and your patience, which I sorely lack)!

Reactions: dvj

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
FABULOUS!!! Enjoy her... for another 100 years!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Absolute perfection! Congratulations on such an amazing find (and your patience, which I sorely lack)!

Definitely! I don’t think I could sit on it for a year!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
DANG!!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, you are the undisputed champion of joining these stones and rings together! This is gorgeous and I so admire your patience since I have none. You have honed your skills to be able to estimate and visualize a diamond to a setting. Very impressive and to the victor go the spoils! We will need a ton of pics!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So also just curious @Niel since you had been looking at the stone for quite some time - did you ever ask the seller for better pictures?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So also just curious @Niel since you had been looking at the stone for quite some time - did you ever ask the seller for better pictures?

Yes, they were not great at taking photos but they were better. You always have to be a little wary of asking for better photos something you want to buy. They may post them in the listing and then everybody can see. Got to be strategic.

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Stunning!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hot diggity dawg!!! Heck yeah the serendipity of it all is the best part! Well except for the gorgeous diamond! Oh, and the lovely setting! Not to mention that you scored a deal!

It's beautiful and has so much fabulous karma attached to it. Enjoy!!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Talk about a match made in bling heaven!!! I love it and the stone is just delicious! :kiss2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! They are perfect for each other and it’s amazingly perfect for you!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super cool, and beautiful!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, stuff of dreams, the whole ring is perfection.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Reading your posts it’s like reading an adventure or detective story with a happy ending at the end.

Thanks for sharing your historical jewels and your suspenseful path to success!

This diamond is wonderful, lemony bright cheery perfection, the tiny table and high crown and faceting are gorgeous and flea bites you mention serve to remind us of a craftsmanship that withstands history. I love the Edwardian setting, that engraving! those single cut melee! A beautiful match. Well done!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
What a wonderful tale of 1 + 1 = 3

I loved the kozibe in the original crummy eBay photo. The mounting is spectacular too.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love her! Congratulations!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, she did it again…..!!!!!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

I love your text. They are the posts that I don’t jump ahead to pictures for & then come back up to read. So exciting & ALWAYS worth the story & the wait!

I love everything. I am a sucker for a bit of old world romance & these two coming together has warmed my little antique cockles. They were simply meant to be.

Congratulations & I am bursting to see more pictures & hand shots when it gets back to you!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You know how much I love this and how happy I always am to go on these adventures with you, haha. LOVE this stone, the setting, the journey... cannot wait for handshots.

@Ella HONESTLY if this doesn't get JOTW.... what are we even doing here on PS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results