shape
carat
color
clarity

1.6 vs 1.8 - Struggling to make a decision - Please Help : )

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Normally I would say so big or go home! But the 1.6 seems like you’ve scored a Sweet spot for price! The 5th C is cost for me and I have to be happy with the cost. So the question for you is did you have a budget? Is it important to stick to it or do you only want to do this once? Meaning that you will not be obsessing with size later? Or color? have to tell you— if you are always on ps you will always obsess over one of the 4 c’s. Lol. At least most of us do. I know I’m no help but maybe you know yourself better. If this is the one and only, I say go big. If you plan to discern your color tolerance and are open to future upgrades, enjoy the savings now.

I agree, which is why it stopped me in my tracks when i came across it. My brother actually brought it to my attention as i was completely focused on the 1.8 sizes.

I agree that PS makes one obsess about one thing or the other, it's maddening yet fun : )

I appreciate all the questions that you've posed. It's making me think about this from a few different angles.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Go with the one you know you will have no regrets choosing :)

hahaha if only it were that simple, right? Positive and negatives to each.

Everyone contributing their thoughts and experiences is certainly helping though.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hahaha if only it were that simple, right? Positive and negatives to each.

Everyone contributing their thoughts and experiences is certainly helping though.

I haven’t read the replies, but I always ask myself how upset would I be if it got away? Would I be crushed to see one sold, if so, that’s the one I would chose....good luck!

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t read the replies, but I always ask myself how upset would I be if it got away? Would I be crushed to see one sold, if so, that’s the one I would chose....good luck!

As long as the lady doesn't get away! : )

Thanks so much!

mission1

Shiny_Rock
They look pretty similar in Sledge’s spreadsheet - so I think the 1.62ct looks better value.

However, you’ve got to be happy with the knowledge that you went for the smaller and lower priced one. If you go for the 1.8 ct you’re paying for the peace of mind more than anything. If it helps, perhaps allocate the difference to something definable like an extra holiday?

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
They look pretty similar in Sledge’s spreadsheet - so I think the 1.62ct looks better value.

However, you’ve got to be happy with the knowledge that you went for the smaller and lower priced one. If you go for the 1.8 ct you’re paying for the peace of mind more than anything. If it helps, perhaps allocate the difference to something definable like an extra holiday?

Makes total sense that i too need to be happy with the purchase. I consider myself a value shopper with everything and while this purchase is a little different, I still like the idea that in my mind i got the best bang for the buck. I'm certain that my lady won't care and since they're so similar in size it seems silly to pay such a premium for a small size differences.

The savings will most likely be allocated to having a pendant and possibly even studs made, so that's swaying me a little too.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you of Asian culture by chance? I ask because a college professor was Asian and had her grading scale as 88+ as an A, 78+ as a B and so on.

When asked about it, she explained in her culture 8's were lucky. That was an easy class (to me, anyhow) so I passed with a near 100 so it was no good to me but a few people caught the benefit....and was thankful.

If you're looking for patterns....if you add 6+2 of the partial weight, you get 8. And bonus points for making it rhyme. :lol:

As my confidence has built over time, the one thing I have learned is to always trust my gut. If the 1.8 is what your gut says and you can spare the cash, then go for it. If your gut, or wallet, says the 1.6+2 ;)2 is the one then listen.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably lean a little towards the 1.62 as I'd want to use the $4k savings for a down payment on a house or towards wedding expenses or an international trip as I love to travel!

Also just small things but I like the slightly smaller table, higher crown height and mind clean clarity plot of the 1.62.

Last edited:

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Are you of Asian culture by chance? I ask because a college professor was Asian and had her grading scale as 88+ as an A, 78+ as a B and so on.

When asked about it, she explained in her culture 8's were lucky. That was an easy class (to me, anyhow) so I passed with a near 100 so it was no good to me but a few people caught the benefit....and was thankful.

If you're looking for patterns....if you add 6+2 of the partial weight, you get 8. And bonus points for making it rhyme. :lol:

As my confidence has built over time, the one thing I have learned is to always trust my gut. If the 1.8 is what your gut says and you can spare the cash, then go for it. If your gut, or wallet, says the 1.6+2 ;)2 is the one then listen.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably lean a little towards the 1.62 as I'd want to use the $4k savings for a down payment on a house or towards wedding expenses or an international trip as I love to travel!

Also just small things but I like the slightly smaller table, crown height and mind clean clarity plot of the 1.62.

haha that's pretty great! I'm not of Asian Culture, but the 8 is meaningful in that it is lucky and also signifies infinity. Maybe that's a little cheesy, but i appreciate the small gestures and details and so does she : ) BUT yes! That's what i meant by making the numbers work with the 1.62 haha, so you're spot on there.

I'm totally with you about trusting my gut; i'm still developing that. A lot of times things go back to best value and bang for the buck, which doesn't always make sense for such a purchase.

If i do go with the 1.62, and i'm leaning that way to be honest, then some of the savings will go towards other diamonds (pendant and studs most likely) and we do travel a lot as well, so some of the funds could certainly go towards a trip.

I sincerely appreciate all your feedback and input. You, and everyone else really, have been invaluable throughout this process.

Last edited:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the 1.8 because it has the mind clean 34.5 CA and 40.8 PAs. Just knowing that is a positive for me. Plus I like 8s too.

My 2.79 F-VS1 and 2.18 E-VS1 CBIs both have the 34.5/40.8 CA/PA combo.

As others have already mentioned, choose what works best for you at this time because of the generous 100% HPD upgrade policy. I used this policy myself when I traded in my 2.21 F-SI1 Cut-to-Order CBI for a smaller 2.18 E-VS1 (who else trades in for smaller, lol).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm totally with you about trusting my gut; i'm still developing that. A lot of times things go back to best value and bang for the buck, which doesn't always make sense for such a purchase.

If i do go with the 1.62, and i'm leaning that way to be honest, then some of the savings will go towards other diamonds (pendant and studs most likely) and we do travel a lot as well, so some of the funds could certainly go towards a trip.

I really wanted to highlight that part above because not everyone gets that.

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, and while the extra $4k could be used for something else you enjoy it isn't going to "hurt" if you splurge on the 1.80.

That said, I think you should just get what you want now, which I believe is the 1.80.

FYI, a few months back we picked up nearly half a billion dollars worth of work in two days. We celebrated by sipping on a bottle of Louis XIII cognac that costs about $3k or so. It doesn't make sense to do that all the time, but this was a special celebration and was worthwhile.

I prefer the 1.8 because it has the mind clean 34.5 CA and 40.8 PAs. Just knowing that is a positive for me. Plus I like 8s too.

Excellent points, I am also sweet on the 34.5/40.8 combo. And there is no arguing that you have some of the most beautiful stones on here. I don't think you've posted pics of anything I haven't liked or would own myself.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, and while the extra $4k could be used for something else you enjoy it isn't going to "hurt" if you splurge on the 1.80.

That said, I think you should just get what you want now, which I believe is the 1.80.

FYI, a few months back we picked up nearly half a billion dollars worth of work in two days. We celebrated by sipping on a bottle of Louis XIII cognac that costs about $3k or so. It doesn't make sense to do that all the time, but this was a special celebration and was worthwhile.

louis.jpg

Excellent points, I am also sweet on the 34.5/40.8 combo. And there is no arguing that you have some of the most beautiful stones on here. I don't think you've posted pics of anything I haven't liked or would own myself.

Congrats on those big wins! Incredible! And sipping on a cognac that costs about 3K or so is beyond well deserved : )

I do appreciate the sentiment and what you're trying to communicate. While you're right that i would probably prefer to go with the 1.8, i do feel like i would be equally happy with the 1.62, especially with the savings. It's half the motorcycle that i want haha) considering the small size difference. Besides, even though i never thought i'd entertain the idea, what's nice is that we can upgrade down the line whenever we want. That's part of the luxury of buying a CBI from HPD.

Everyone has given me a lot to think about, that's for sure. I continue to be blown away by some of the responses from the community, especially by you. You've responded to a bunch of my posts and you always put a lot of time and thought into each response, so I can't thank you enough.

Maybe one day we can have a conversation while sipping on some Louis XIII and leaving the grill unattended allowing it to do its thing haha

I'm giving myself until this evening to make a decision, so as to not prolong the process and more importantly to get the ring by the timeline that i have set. I also don't want to drive the wonderful people at HPD even more bonkers!

And thanks for the "good head on your shoulders" comment. I needed that. I feel like i've lost my mind throughout this process.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock

As others have already mentioned, choose what works best for you at this time because of the generous 100% HPD upgrade policy. I used this policy myself when I traded in my 2.21 F-SI1 Cut-to-Order CBI for a smaller 2.18 E-VS1 (who else trades in for smaller, lol).

haha that's great! I'm sure that .03 carat weight sacrificed was agonizing : )

The upgrade policy is definitely a huge plus and part of the reason going with the smaller diamond would be ok ultimately.

While i'm leaning towards the 1.62 at this point, i would be surprised if i do another 180 and pull the trigger on the 1.8.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock

I asked for opinions about this in a different post, but figured i'd bring it up here as well. I had decided to go with the VS2, but Wink did confirm that the 1.8 SI1 is completely eye clean. Maybe i should bring it back in the fold...to drive myself even more crazy.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind comments, they are appreciated.

I'd be honored to share some cognac with you. Bring whatever diamond you decide to buy and I'll grill us up some nice thick filets on the Traeger. Heck, maybe we can even get @Wink in on the deal and he can write off the Louis Xiii as a business expense and he can talk me into upgrading my wife's BGD stone, lol. I'm sure he has a few CBI's laying around that would fit the bill.

Seriously, the last stone might be a good compromise. CBI & HPD is pretty critical on themselves so if Wink is saying eye clean I would trust it. The caveat being if you have Superman vision (he has a story of it happening) then you should disclose that, lol.

The new 1.800 is roughly a 20% price increase for a 7% spread gain & 10% carat weight gain. Table size is a little larger than 1.805 but a small thing I like is you retain the 34.5/40.8 combo with those 76 LGF's as I like fat arrows.Not that there will be much difference between a 76 and 77.

Anyhow, I updated the Excel sheet for you with new comparison tabs of the 1.628 vs 1.800 and the 1.800 vs the 1.805.

Capture1628v1800.PNG

Capture1800v1805.PNG

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the kind comments, they are appreciated.

I'd be honored to share some cognac with you. Bring whatever diamond you decide to buy and I'll grill us up some nice thick filets on the Traeger. Heck, maybe we can even get @Wink in on the deal and he can write off the Louis Xiii as a business expense and he can talk me into upgrading my wife's BGD stone, lol. I'm sure he has a few CBI's laying around that would fit the bill.

Seriously, the last stone might be a good compromise. CBI & HPD is pretty critical on themselves so if Wink is saying eye clean I would trust it. The caveat being if you have Superman vision (he has a story of it happening) then you should disclose that, lol.

The new 1.800 is roughly a 20% price increase for a 7% spread gain & 10% carat weight gain. Table size is a little larger than 1.805 but a small thing I like is you retain the 34.5/40.8 combo with those 76 LGF's as I like fat arrows.Not that there will be much difference between a 76 and 77.

Anyhow, I updated the Excel sheet for you with new comparison tabs of the 1.628 vs 1.800 and the 1.800 vs the 1.805.

haha Fantastic! I'll work on bringing Wink into the fold. Although, I think he might need a long break from me after what i've put him through.

I appreciate you updating the excel sheet. Seeing the numbers and percentages is really helpful.

I'm still leaning towards the small stone slightly, but i'm going to go through these posts one more time, meditate on it, then call it. I'm certain that i'll be happy with whichever option i go with and hopefully my partner will be as well.

I'll keep you and everyone posted : )

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my vote for the “you know you’re a PSer when” contest .... :lol: :lol:

But I totally get it; been there, done that, have the multi-tabbed spreadsheet to prove it.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my vote for the “you know you’re a PSer when” contest .... :lol: :lol:

But I totally get it; been there, done that, have the multi-tabbed spreadsheet to prove it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

@sledge and whoever else feels like weighing in. Can i add one more for sh*ts and giggles? haha

Okay, time for a revised spreadsheet. :lol:

I added the H, and this time I reconfigured the data so you can analyze all the stones together against the 1.628 since that seems to be the way you are leaning at the current moment.

I think I'd ask Wink to line the 4 stones up and provide a photo/video analysis of any variation in color. As you go down the color scale, you have more variance. It's possible one of the I stones look almost H. Again, CBI/HPD is pretty critical on themselves about color & clarity grading so I would expect them to be pretty strong overall. Still it's a worthwhile ask.

A few thoughts about the H 1.658 stone:

- You're paying 13.5% to bump in color from I to H, but you are also downgrading in clarity from VS2 to SI1.

- Size difference is negligible, less than 1% spread difference. Not detectable to the human eye.

- Shallow 34.1 crown combined with a somewhat shallow 40.7 pavilion. There's zero doubt this stone will be great, but I think it could have a slight personality difference from the other stones.

- Also this stone the largest LGF's of the group at 78. Still within ideal territory, but again, maybe a slight personality change. Numerically larger LGF's provide more skinny arrows tend to produce a little more pin fire white light return in bright lighting environments. Numerically smaller LGF's produce fatter arrows and produce larger bolder rainbow flashes in indirect lighting. As well cut as these stones are, the differences will be minimal and personal preference. At the 80%+ range, you can start to see some table reflection when you tilt the stone.

I'd like to re-stress all 4 of these stones are excellent choices. I'm just trying to analyze very fine details that is more of a personality thing than something that is "wrong". I don't want the comments to be taken the wrong way.

1576735504712.png

1576735527554.png

1576735556393.png

CaptureAll.PNG

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, time for a revised spreadsheet. :lol:

I added the H, and this time I reconfigured the data so you can analyze all the stones together against the 1.628 since that seems to be the way you are leaning at the current moment.

I think I'd ask Wink to line the 4 stones up and provide a photo/video analysis of any variation in color. As you go down the color scale, you have more variance. It's possible one of the I stones look almost H. Again, CBI/HPD is pretty critical on themselves about color & clarity grading so I would expect them to be pretty strong overall. Still it's a worthwhile ask.

A few thoughts about the H 1.658 stone:

- You're paying 13.5% to bump in color from I to H, but you are also downgrading in clarity from VS2 to SI1.

- Size difference is negligible, less than 1% spread difference. Not detectable to the human eye.

- Shallow 34.1 crown combined with a somewhat shallow 40.7 pavilion. There's zero doubt this stone will be great, but I think it could have a slight personality difference from the other stones.

- Also this stone the largest LGF's of the group at 78. Still within ideal territory, but again, maybe a slight personality change. Numerically larger LGF's provide more skinny arrows tend to produce a little more pin fire white light return in bright lighting environments. Numerically smaller LGF's produce fatter arrows and produce larger bolder rainbow flashes in indirect lighting. As well cut as these stones are, the differences will be minimal and personal preference. At the 80%+ range, you can start to see some table reflection when you tilt the stone.

I'd like to re-stress all 4 of these stones are excellent choices. I'm just trying to analyze very fine details that is more of a personality thing than something that is "wrong". I don't want the comments to be taken the wrong way.

The spreadsheets are getting out of control! hahaha

I appreciate the summary that was attached too. You're unbelievable, man. You somehow swayed me away from the H with the summary, which is a good thing since i still have 3 others in the running.

I'll ask Wink to take a look at any color variance, but i'm at the point where i don't believe a video or photos will make a difference. I'm trying to listen to my gut; it just hasn't made a decision yet haha

Thanks again for the feedback. Will let you know how it all unfolds.

I am the master of indecision; i feel bad for my poor future wife. The one thing that goes in my favor though is that i pull the, "I knew you were the one right away. No indecision there" card when i drive her crazy. haha With even that said though, it's taken me too long to pop the questions, even by my own estimation. This is a very exiting time, that's for sure. The great thing about it all is that she has no idea : )

Sorry for the ramble and oversharing!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you haven’t made your decision yet and the 1.8 is still available I would go with that. I think the diff IS noticeable. DSS will sink in quite quickly. 1.8 feels so close to 2ct., while 1.6ct. is close fo a carat and a half. To me it just feels a lot different to have 1.8 over 1.6.
7.56 v 7.81 is noticeable in mm size to me. Also, the smaller stone has a smaller table so it may appear even smaller than the larger one, by comparison in that realm. I know it could be said these are indiscernible differences but IMO it all adds up.
Go for the 1.8! You don’t want to regret it and be kicking yourself forever over it. You are already second guessing yourself over the smaller one, hence the motivation for this thread!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Also, I would not make this decision based on better value. This isn’t a pragmatic purchase, it’s an emotional one. Also, you’ll go on many trips in your life together, and you’ll buy her many gifts of jewelry throughout the years... but this is THEEE purchase! The one for “The One”!

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
If you haven’t made your decision yet and the 1.8 is still available I would go with that. I think the diff IS noticeable. DSS will sink in quite quickly. 1.8 feels so close to 2ct., while 1.6ct. is close fo a carat and a half. To me it just feels a lot different to have 1.8 over 1.6.
7.56 v 7.81 is noticeable in mm size to me. Also, the smaller stone has a smaller table so it may appear even smaller than the larger one, by comparison in that realm. I know it could be said these are indiscernible differences but IMO it all adds up.
Go for the 1.8! You don’t want to regret it and be kicking yourself forever over it. You are already second guessing yourself over the smaller one, hence the motivation for this thread!

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinion. You put it in a way that really resonated with me.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Also, I would not make this decision based on better value. This isn’t a pragmatic purchase, it’s an emotional one. Also, you’ll go on many trips in your life together, and you’ll buy her many gifts of jewelry throughout the years... but this is THEEE purchase! The one for “The One”!

You're absolutely right about everything that you said. Even though i had said similar things, your statement set me straight, putting things in perspective for me. Thanks for that haha

If i go down that route it's going to come down to the 1.8 VS2 and 1.8 SI1 hmmmm

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Happy to help (and just at spending someone else’s money lol!).

hahaha don't make me reel myself back in. I was in romantic LALA Land. Spend my money, but don't tell me you're doing it haha

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far I think the 1.800 and 1.805 are the closest and most identical set of stones I have analyzed & compared here on PS to date.

All but one dimension is identical and it's off by a hair. Crown & pavilion angles are the same, depths & heights are the same and LGF's are the same. Even the table is nearly the same with only 0.3% difference. And the stars are within 2% of one another.

Proportion wise, they are so identical any minor variation is meaningless. Even coat between them is only a $1,000 which I know is real money but overall not a deciding factor really.

I think at this point I would put my trust in @Wink to get you over the finish line. He can analyze with his eyes which is where the real magic of beauty happens. Also he has years and years of experience and have seen countless CBI's.

Maybe one is just a hair whiter or maybe one just speaks a little different. Both would be winners but having an experienced and trustworthy professional evaluate your two final choices may be the best deciding advice you can get.

If all that fails, I would use my college day logic. The first answer you choose is normally right. Sometimes when you overthink it and change your mind, you talk yourself into the wrong answer.

Thankfully in this case, both the 1.80 stones are winners so you can't really choose bad.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
So far I think the 1.800 and 1.805 are the closest and most identical set of stones I have analyzed & compared here on PS to date.

All but one dimension is identical and it's off by a hair. Crown & pavilion angles are the same, depths & heights are the same and LGF's are the same. Even the table is nearly the same with only 0.3% difference. And the stars are within 2% of one another.

Proportion wise, they are so identical any minor variation is meaningless. Even coat between them is only a $1,000 which I know is real money but overall not a deciding factor really.

I think at this point I would put my trust in @Wink to get you over the finish line. He can analyze with his eyes which is where the real magic of beauty happens. Also he has years and years of experience and have seen countless CBI's.

Maybe one is just a hair whiter or maybe one just speaks a little different. Both would be winners but having an experienced and trustworthy professional evaluate your two final choices may be the best deciding advice you can get.

If all that fails, I would use my college day logic. The first answer you choose is normally right. Sometimes when you overthink it and change your mind, you talk yourself into the wrong answer.

Thankfully in this case, both the 1.80 stones are winners so you can't really choose bad.

I think sticking with the SI1 makes more sense financially since according to Wink, it's completely eye clean. For some reason i'm convinced that it's going to affect the performance even though i know that that's not going to be the case with a CBI.

So we're down to the 1.8 SI1 and the 1.62 VS2 at this point. So, at least we've narrowed it down even more. My plan is to make a decision within the hour, so I can submit to Wink and get back to being able to sleep at night haha

I do like the going with the first answer you choose like we did back in high school and college. I learned that strategy too and, more often than not the first answer was the right one : )

Thanks again for all your time, feedback, and overall opinions!

Hope you're having an incredible morning so far.

Last edited:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a 7.3% difference in surface area. Although most people advocate 2D surface area as the main metric for size, 3D volume does have a part to play.
Saying that, the price difference is substantial, the size difference is not. I'm sure the difference would be noticeable and obvious side by side. but not overwhelming, and certainly in isolation, oth are substantial sizes. Why don't you utilise SITBI, call the stones in, and compare them?

The stats may point to the 1.62 being the sensible option, but diamonds are inherently not a sensible buy, and the heart wants what it wants. If you purchase the 1.62, will you think what if it was the 1.80 for the rest of your days? If you purchase the 1.80, will the extra 4k plague you?

If it was me, the 1.62 as alluded to, makes most sense, and you have an upgrade policy, but this is a personal decision.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok. Chiming in again. I think I read that you planned to spend the extra money on more jewelry gifts. If that is indeed the plan, then I would opt for the 1.8 instead! The one ring to rule them all! If you plan to do something practical with the savings, then the 1.62. That’s what I would do. By practical I mean non jewelry related!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results