shape
carat
color
clarity

1.6 vs 1.8 - Struggling to make a decision - Please Help : )

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
L

lydial

Most people think a noticeable size difference is 0.2 mm. The difference in size between these is 0.3 mm. So the 1.6 will be noticeably smaller. Only you can decide if the price is worth it. The upgrade program will allow you to trade up later, but then you may be dealing with a remake of your setting which costs as well. Excited for your CBI! I love mine...

mission1

Shiny_Rock
I compared a 1 carat and a 1.2 carat I could see a difference when they’re literally side by side, but on your finger the visible difference is minimal IMO. I’d go for the best diamond and not be worried about the 0.2ct variance.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Closer to a 0.25mm difference. Noticeable but minor.

For reference a sheet of copy paper is approximately 0.10mm thick. Stack 3 pieces of paper together and their combined thickness is the difference in size you are talking about.

Only you can decide if the size difference is worth the cost.

I bought a Traeger a year or so back. Love the thing BTW. Got the Pro series and got the size right below the biggest one. About 99% of the time I'm fine with it. But there is 1% of the time when we host parties I wish I had spent a few hundred more for the little bit of extra space.

If I got a redo I'd get the larger one but as it stands I'm not bothered enough by it to change things. I'd also opt for the wifi brain (which wasn't an option then) but that's a different story, lol.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would go for the larger one. The future one that @lydial suggested is also worth a think! That starts to get so close to two carats but without the premium commanded at that weight point.

I know people talk about 0.2 being noticeable and that's totally true, but don't forget that it is talking about a diameter difference not just something in one line - it's that much bigger in all outward directions and to me at least it's quite a significant difference in size.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Most people think a noticeable size difference is 0.2 mm. The difference in size between these is 0.3 mm. So the 1.6 will be noticeably smaller. Only you can decide if the price is worth it. The upgrade program will allow you to trade up later, but then you may be dealing with a remake of your setting which costs as well. Excited for your CBI! I love mine...

Thanks for the feedback! And it's great to hear that you love your CBI! I'm excited about it too : )

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
3.5% size increase for 30% price increase. PASS. I'm actually surprised at how big that price difference is, especially given no milestone sizes are being cross here (ie: 2ct).

It would only be barely perceptible if you have them side by side. Standalone, it will not make a difference.

Keep in mind the difference between 0.2mm is even LESS noticeable the larger the stone (ie: 1ct vs 0.8 noticeable, 1.6 vs 1.8 - hardly, 2.5 vs 2.7 doubt anyone can tell). At 1.6ct you're already in the top tier size-wise versus the general population.

Save your money.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I compared a 1 carat and a 1.2 carat I could see a difference when they’re literally side by side, but on your finger the visible difference is minimal IMO. I’d go for the best diamond and not be worried about the 0.2ct variance.

Other than the size, they're pretty much identical.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Closer to a 0.25mm difference. Noticeable but minor.

For reference a sheet of copy paper is approximately 0.10mm thick. Stack 3 pieces of paper together and their combined thickness is the difference in size you are talking about.

Only you can decide if the size difference is worth the cost.

I bought a Traeger a year or so back. Love the thing BTW. Got the Pro series and got the size right below the biggest one. About 99% of the time I'm fine with it. But there is 1% of the time when we host parties I wish I had spent a few hundred more for the little bit of extra space.

If I got a redo I'd get the larger one but as it stands I'm not bothered enough by it to change things. I'd also opt for the wifi brain (which wasn't an option then) but that's a different story, lol.

I'm not so sure the cost difference is worthwhile, but i'm a little hung up on the 1.8 size for some reason. This diamond buying process is killing me though haha

I love that you managed to compare a grill to a diamond! The cool thing about the diamond is that it can be upgraded easily haha

Grills can be connected to wifi now!? haha Amazing!

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I personally would go for the larger one. The future one that @lydial suggested is also worth a think! That starts to get so close to two carats but without the premium commanded at that weight point.

I know people talk about 0.2 being noticeable and that's totally true, but don't forget that it is talking about a diameter difference not just something in one line - it's that much bigger in all outward directions and to me at least it's quite a significant difference in size.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the 1.87 won't be ready in time, so will have to pass on it. What you said about considering the diameter makes total sense. More to think about haha

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Here is a visualization. I'm very sensitive to size differences, and would want to go for the bigger stone, but even side by side this difference is, while noticeable for me, not a really significant one. (Wasn't sure of your ring size, but I set it to a 6.) Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 9.45.42 AM.png

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
3.5% size increase for 30% price increase. PASS. I'm actually surprised at how big that price difference is, especially given no milestone sizes are being cross here (ie: 2ct).

It would only be barely perceptible if you have them side by side. Standalone, it will not make a difference.

Keep in mind the difference between 0.2mm is even LESS noticeable the larger the stone (ie: 1ct vs 0.8 noticeable, 1.6 vs 1.8 - hardly, 2.5 vs 2.7 doubt anyone can tell). At 1.6ct you're already in the top tier size-wise versus the general population.

Save your money.

I do the same calculations, so i'm with you. I think it's closer to a 7% size difference though, but that's still in line with what you're saying : )

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
And yes, it is a 7% size difference.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Here is a visualization. I'm very sensitive to size differences, and would want to go for the bigger stone, but even side by side this difference is, while noticeable for me, not a really significant one. (Wasn't sure of your ring size, but I set it to a 6.) Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 9.45.42 AM.png

Thanks for sharing that. I can definitely see the size difference, but whether it's worth it standing alone or not is a different story. Coming from someone who is sensitive to size differences, it's interesting to read that you don't see the difference as that significant. Thanks for your input.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'd totally go for the bigger one since I CAN see a difference (even if it isn't super huge)! Along with it having a magical/special meaning. There is mind clean in size too.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I went from a 1.4ct to a 1.6ct and it WAS noticeable without being next to one another!

just my humble opinion...
now I’m at 1.8ct. CBI.

Thanks for sharing your experience. So, you went from 1.6 to 1.8? Great to know.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'd totally go for the bigger one since I CAN see a difference (even if it isn't super huge)! Along with it having a magical/special meaning. There is mind clean in size too.

Sorry for misconstruing your comment haha Good to know though. There's a mind clean in size too? It doesn't stop : )

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Correct, it's a diameter difference. Meaning that 1/2 the variance is "visible" on each side as you go around the circle. Below is a blow up view to illustrate. The darker grey color is the smaller diameter. The pink is the larger diameter.

So if we are talking a difference of 0.25mm, then there is approximately 0.125mm on each side of difference.

CaptureCircel.PNG

I'm not so sure the cost difference is worthwhile, but i'm a little hung up on the 1.8 size for some reason. This diamond buying process is killing me though haha

I love that you managed to compare a grill to a diamond! The cool thing about the diamond is that it can be upgraded easily haha

Grills can be connected to wifi now!? haha Amazing!

I don't mean this rudely, but you are hung up on the weight because the diamond industry has done a good job of brain washing us to believe that more weight is bigger & better. IMO, carat weight is a horrible way to evaluate meaningful size. The problem being weight is calculated/approximated by multiplying L * W * D * 0.0061 for a round diamond.

My point being, part of carat weight is consumed in depth which our eyes don't associate with "bigger" when looking at a stone on someone's hand. It's the reason a 2 carat stone isn't really twice as big as a 1 carat stone. Weight wise it is, but because there is more depth in a 2 carat stone the spread (diameter) is not twice as large.

LOL, yes I can normally find comparison to just about anything. It's a natural talent that drives my wife completely bonkers! And yes, you now have wifi options on grilles. In the case of the Traeger, I have a Pro series so it has connections to plug in temp sensors to the meats you cook and monitor the temps without lifting the lid and letting heat escape. When smoking, keeping a steady controlled temperature is critical. Other variables come into play like thickness of the unit, how well it's welded/sealed, etc but the worst thing you can do is keep popping open the lid to check temperatures.

For instance, on Thanksgiving I smoked a ham. I have a special pan I use, rub and also a special juice concatenation to keep the ham extra moist and add some extra flavor. I also wrap in foil, but prior to doing so I will place my temp probes in the ham first. I place the ham face down on this pan that has a rack that keeps the ham above the juices and allows it cook and suck up the juices while it's cooking. Once the pan and ham is inside the grill, I then run the probe sensor wires out of the cook area & plug into "brain". Now when I need to check the temp I can hit a button and see the internal temp of the ham.

If I had the wifi unit I could drink more crown & cokes and continue watching football inside the warm house while monitoring temps from my phone, lol. Definitely first world luxuries/problems.

There's no magic in 1.8ct. Nobody's reaction will change going from 1.6 to 1.8. If you want to turn heads you'll have to hit 2.0+.

We frequently talk about magic weights as being 1.5 carats, 2 carats, etc. However, if you start analyzing numbers more closely, you will see they appear in minor changes as well. For instance, a 0.90 carat stone may be less per carat than a 1 carat stone. But an 0.80+ carat stone will be less per carat than the 0.90 carat.

If a person wants to turn the most heads, then in two stones with this little size variance the easiest way is by getting the most lively and firey stone. Hence this presents another problem in this scenario, because both of these stones are top tier performers.

My inner geek was crying out and felt maybe an excel sheet with values might help pinpoint minute differences.

CaptureCompare.PNG

Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally I would say so big or go home! But the 1.6 seems like you’ve scored a Sweet spot for price! The 5th C is cost for me and I have to be happy with the cost. So the question for you is did you have a budget? Is it important to stick to it or do you only want to do this once? Meaning that you will not be obsessing with size later? Or color? have to tell you— if you are always on ps you will always obsess over one of the 4 c’s. Lol. At least most of us do. I know I’m no help but maybe you know yourself better. If this is the one and only, I say go big. If you plan to discern your color tolerance and are open to future upgrades, enjoy the savings now.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to provide a link to the Excel file in case you wanted to play around with it.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I don't mean this rudely, but you are hung up on the weight because the diamond industry has done a good job of brain washing us to believe that more weight is bigger & better. IMO, carat weight is a horrible way to evaluate meaningful size. The problem being weight is calculated/approximated by multiplying L * W * D * 0.0061 for a round diamond.

My point being, part of carat weight is consumed in depth which our eyes don't associate with "bigger" when looking at a stone on someone's hand. It's the reason a 2 carat stone isn't really twice as big as a 1 carat stone. Weight wise it is, but because there is more depth in a 2 carat stone the spread (diameter) is not twice as large.

LOL, yes I can normally find comparison to just about anything. It's a natural talent that drives my wife completely bonkers! And yes, you now have wifi options on grilles. In the case of the Traeger, I have a Pro series so it has connections to plug in temp sensors to the meats you cook and monitor the temps without lifting the lid and letting heat escape. When smoking, keeping a steady controlled temperature is critical. Other variables come into play like thickness of the unit, how well it's welded/sealed, etc but the worst thing you can do is keep popping open the lid to check temperatures.

For instance, on Thanksgiving I smoked a ham. I have a special pan I use, rub and also a special juice concatenation to keep the ham extra moist and add some extra flavor. I also wrap in foil, but prior to doing so I will place my temp probes in the ham first. I place the ham face down on this pan that has a rack that keeps the ham above the juices and allows it cook and suck up the juices while it's cooking. Once the pan and ham is inside the grill, I then run the probe sensor wires out of the cook area & plug into "brain". Now when I need to check the temp I can hit a button and see the internal temp of the ham.

If I had the wifi unit I could drink more crown & cokes and continue watching football inside the warm house while monitoring temps from my phone, lol. Definitely first world luxuries/problems.

We frequently talk about magic weights as being 1.5 carats, 2 carats, etc. However, if you start analyzing numbers more closely, you will see they appear in minor changes as well. For instance, a 0.90 carat stone may be less per carat than a 1 carat stone. But an 0.80+ carat stone will be less per carat than the 0.90 carat.

If a person wants to turn the most heads, then in two stones with this little size variance the easiest way is by getting the most lively and firey stone. Hence this presents another problem in this scenario, because both of these stones are top tier performers.

My inner geek was crying out and felt maybe an excel sheet with values might help pinpoint minute differences.

CaptureCompare.PNG

I'm actually mostly hung up on the number itself as opposed to the size. I know that sounds weird, butI love number and some have meaning to me, which is why i've been hung up on the 1.8 sizes. I figured out how to manipulate the 1.62 numbers to suit my purposes though, so i'm slowly getting over the need for the 1.8 haha With all that said, I sincerely appreciate the breakdown and explanation. None of it was taken as rude : )

Thanks for the excel sheet. I love spreadsheets, so i have something similar, but certainly not broken down to the extent that you've done. I appreciate adding that to the mix : )

Your grill sounds incredible and by the "sound" of it, you seem like someone who knows how to "man" the grill, even if you prefer to do it as completely hands free as possible haha Technology is quite amazing!

So, I take it if you're choosing between these two you would go with the 1.62 considering it seems like a substantially better value?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results