shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 ct Cushion

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have really benefited from reading these forums. I have narrowed my search to a cushion cut. My budget is $8000-8500, and I am reserving 7000 for the diamond.

My question is do you think this http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-1-2174738-1.52-carat-Cushion-diamond-H-color-SI1-clarity.aspx?cid=diamseis a good option. I have looked at the other sites and nothing touches this in terms of value. I have the GIA report. Are there other options I should consider. Is H and SI sufficient quality?

Also, anyone have thoughts on average time to get a setting and have diamond ready to go for proposal after the rock is in hand?

Thanks! Jon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Did they provide you with pictures of the stone? Because if not, you simply cannot choose any diamond other than a round (in some cases) by a lab report alone.

Some vendors who carry cushions with pictures are Good Old Gold, and probably WhiteFlash and James Allen. Are you looking for a modern or antique style cushion?

I usually recommend getting the setting from the diamond vendor so they take responsibility for the stone while being set. If they have the setting in stock, it might take a few days. But if it is one that is custom made or a designer setting that has to be ordered, it could take a few weeks.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. They have not provided a picture, but have said they are looking into it. I will keep looking at those other retailers, but they seem to be a bit higher. I think I prefer the modern cushion, but could be sold on the older style (not as much *bling*??).

You recommend getting the setting from the diamond retailer, but does this make it difficult to get an accurate independent appraisal?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
this video can help you decide if you prefer the modern or antique style
http://vimeo.com/7579666

another shorter video comparing modern vs chunky/vintage style
http://vimeo.com/4617895

if you want a cushion I would *strongly* recommend shopping with a vendor who provides images, there is so much variation with cushions it is impossible to tell without images.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't get independent appraisals when dealing with vendors with excellent reputations and stones with GIA or AGS grading. These vendors may be higher because their stones are superior. =) Honestly, you usually get what you pay for. And you simply cannot shop for cushions with any online vendor who does not provide pictures at minimum and an ASET showing light performance is nice, too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
chief44444|1304548447|2912403 said:
Hi,

You recommend getting the setting from the diamond retailer, but does this make it difficult to get an accurate independent appraisal?

If you are using an independent appraiser they will not have any type of interest in the vendor you are buying from. That is different than using an appraisal directly from the vendor which isn't "independent." There are some vendors here where I wouldn't feel the need to verify my purchase by using and independent appraiser, some folks do it for peace of mind though.

suzettesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi- from the report you posted, this cushion is not a square shape, right? This diamond has a ration of 1.2, which you may want to consider. The Tiffany Novo ring, which has pushed the cushion look into the current spotlight shows a rather "square" look. This diamond you posted is more of a rectangle. That is a personal preference, but just so you are aware. Also, the clarity plot from the GIA cert that you posted has inclusions in the table of the stone. Why don't you have the stone sent out to you, and see if you like the look. Cushions should not have that crushed ice effect- that is not considered a beautiful look in a cushion cut. Also, there is not such thing as an excellent cut grade for fancy shpaes. Round Brilliant is the only diamond shape given cut grades so far as I know- but I could be wrong. Check this picture out for a picture of a beautifully cut cushion.

Cushion Cut from diamonds439-102pic 032811.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually this is sort of an interesting development, but AGS has just announced that they will give an ideal cut grade to Good Old Gold's August Vintage Cushions! I read that on their Facebook page in the last day or so. But most cushions do not receive a cut grade nor are they evaluated for light performance most of the time.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the square cushion H&As also get AGS0 cut grade.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies!!!

@slg - thank you so much for the videos. I just finished the first one and I am now a beleiver in Diamxrays and ASET. Do you know of online vendors who regularly provide those images? Any rec's on 1.5'rs for 7500 or so?

@diamondseeker and mrssalvo - You mentioned that you usually rtust the report from the vendor. Is this usually sufficient for insurance?

@suzette - i can't really afford the time to have them send the diamond out if it doesn't work. We are going on a vacation in 17 days, and I want to propose on the vacation. Also, should i try to void diamonds with inclusions on the table rather than the sises?

Thanks!

danfitz36

Rough_Rock
i have been looking for a cushion in the 1.4 range, G and VS2, so a very similar search. I've found james allen to have the most selection in stock and with decent pictures. As far as my research has gone, GOG is probably the place to find the best cut stone and the cut really matters with a cushion. You'll want to get as much info as you possibly can before you really make a decision because the stats can't tell you how it will look in real life.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1280618.asp

is the closest i saw to what you want, it's right at $8k though. i'm holding off for a while to get some more cash before i buy, or i wouldn't be sending links to my direct buying competition.

this next link is way out of our price range, but this is the goal in terms of cushion cuts: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8039/

chief44444

Rough_Rock
thanks for the link. might be the one. also do you know who mark at ERG is?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Try Mark again and be very clear that you want a 1.04 or less ratio.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I trust an AGS or GIA lab report, and I trust respected vendors with a track record. I have bought from GOG and can vouch for them.

As far as halo settings go, do you want handmade? What is your budget for the setting? We can save you some trouble if we know!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He doesn't take too long, I don't think. And he can probably do a setting like that. The best is going to be done by Steven Kirsch or Victor Canerra, and I can't tell you the price but a wild guess is around $4000 give or take a few hundred. You can get others for less.

If you go with Mark at ERD for the diamond, then you'll want to get a quote on his ring:

http://engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondJewelryDetails.aspx?ID=2

Come back, though, because unless the quote is a lot less than the number I quoted above, you may want to go with Steven Kirsch instead. Both ERD and SK are in NYC.

I think you should be aiming for a 1 ct. cushion with that budget.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1304644711|2913517 said:
He doesn't take too long, I don't think. And he can probably do a setting like that. The best is going to be done by Steven Kirsch or Victor Canerra, and I can't tell you the price but a wild guess is around $4000 give or take a few hundred. You can get others for less.

If you go with Mark at ERD for the diamond, then you'll want to get a quote on his ring:

http://engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondJewelryDetails.aspx?ID=2

Come back, though, because unless the quote is a lot less than the number I quoted above, you may want to go with Steven Kirsch instead. Both ERD and SK are in NYC.

I think you should be aiming for a 1 ct. cushion with that budget.

I totally agree with this. The halo setting adds a lot of size so I think you can go smaller on the center stone and still achieve a substantial look on the finger.

Did you decide if you prefer a more modern or more antique cushion based on the videos?

chief44444

Rough_Rock
I decided that I liked the modern look. Those videos were really helpful. Talked me out of buying a diamond "blindly". The crushed ice diamond looks terrible!!!

I thought I could swing 1.5 and setting under 10k. But I see your point about moving down to 1 ct if those settings are 3-4k+ So now to convo with the gf about setting vs size. Which would you prefer? a 1.5 solitaire (maybe micropave only) or the 1 ct with the fantastic setting?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
chief44444|1304646444|2913550 said:
I decided that I liked the modern look. Those videos were really helpful. Talked me out of buying a diamond "blindly". The crushed ice diamond looks terrible!!!

I thought I could swing 1.5 and setting under 10k. But I see your point about moving down to 1 ct if those settings are 3-4k+ So now to convo with the gf about setting vs size. Which would you prefer? a 1.5 solitaire (maybe micropave only) or the 1 ct with the fantastic setting?

I totally agree with you!!! Some cushions are so beautiful and some are just :errrr:

I would ask her if she would prefer a halo or a pave band, no halo. If no halo, then go with a larger center stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
chief44444|1304646444|2913550 said:

You should ask her what she thinkg.

Me, I would take the larger diamond and get a halo later if I wanted one.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chief. The halo you asked about from Sareen Jewelry was in platinum. Thought I would mention...and I added stones at the bottom and at the base. 18 kt might be in your range.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Just had the conversation and it seems that the halo is important! Thanks Mayk for that point about the platinum. I will ask Sareen for a quote tomorrow without the extra diamonds and in 18k white gold.

Is it really unreasonable to find a setting with <.5ctw halo and micropave under 2k? I guess I'll wait to hear back from GOG and Mark about 1.5'rs before I completely readjust to the idea of a smaller center stone.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to advise you to focus on finding the stone first. Once that is settled, then ask that vendor about his options for a halo setting. That is your best bet if you aren't going with a high end handmade setting. It is vastly easier to have the stone vendor set the diamond and then it is ready to insure when it comes to you. If you go with Mark or Good Old Gold, I am sure they can both do a reasonable halo setting. I would be afraid for you to get quotes from jewelers whose work we have not seen or heard reviews about.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
This WF setting looks great. I think I'm leaning toward the Amphora (link previous post). Thank you so much.

I am really grateful to you all for such helpful posts. Thank you. I'll keep you posted tomorrow as to the images from JA and info from GOG and Mark, as well as setting estimates (with diamondseeker's point duly noted - rock first). This is EXCITING!!!

chief44444

Rough_Rock
So I got a few quotes from WF for cushions to go with the Amphora setting. But I found all of the diamonds at diamondsearchengine for 100's less. While I like WF's setting the most, do you think it is worth the extra expense to order it through them so they can set it. I know that they perform an expert evaluation and take pictures, but the 10 day return window is really short! And I am also worried about paying for return shipping/insurance if they get less than stellar reviews. Any advice?

BTW - these are my favorites of the options WF sent:

Cushion Modified 1.57 H SI1 EX VG GIA N 63.5% 61% 6.62x6.52x4.14 $7,843
Ratio 1.01:1

Cushion Modified 1.30 H SI1 EX VG GIA N 64.8% 64% 6.13x5.96x3.86 $5,863
Ratio 1.02:1

THANK YOU!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I definitely would not buy a cushion without images or ASET images, so to me it would be worth it for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results