shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 ct Cushion

slg47

Ideal_Rock
chief44444|1304968811|2916498 said:
The second one looks best to my eye as well, but 1.07 is too rectangular?? Rats. Mark's best option is a 1.52 H SI1 with a 1.07 ratio for $8k. So, I think I still might go with the second from JA and pay for a custom setting with Mark or Steven. The third has a pretty big table, so it's out. I don't know how much extra it will cost to ship/insure the diamond from JA to Steven or Mark (or someone else) or how long it will take. So initially I will have JA send me the ring in a basic setting, and then I can return for full refund, and just buy the stone.

What do you think?

I would keep looking. It can take a really long time to find a nice modern cushion, unless you go with a branded cut. To me, for the look you are going for, you need a more square cushion, but if you are OK with rectangular then I would go with the ERD options. What about the BGD one? also, what one is the one you have a picture of in your earlier post?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
chief44444|1304968811|2916498 said:
The second one looks best to my eye as well, but 1.07 is too rectangular?? Rats. Mark's best option is a 1.52 H SI1 with a 1.07 ratio for $8k. So, I think I still might go with the second from JA and pay for a custom setting with Mark or Steven. The third has a pretty big table, so it's out. I don't know how much extra it will cost to ship/insure the diamond from JA to Steven or Mark (or someone else) or how long it will take. So initially I will have JA send me the ring in a basic setting, and then I can return for full refund, and just buy the stone.

What do you think?

Can you post pictures of Mark's option? Cut is the most important, and Mark is known for selecting really well cut modern cushions, I would choose a stone from him.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1304967638|2916481 said:
Option 1 from JA is :knockout: . Option 2 from JA looks by far the best to my eye. The facet pattern is pleasing and the table to depth ratio much better than the third JA stone. Option 3 is in second place. Ask for ASETs of both. not enough information about the b2 stone.

Ditto. I don't personally think 1.07 is too rectangular. I think I would set it as it is pictured. ASETS will be helpful.

And I absolutely would not go to the trouble of returning the ring and then rebuying the stone, if that is what you meant. Just consider the cost of the temp setting as the opportunity to propose on the ship and allow her to enjoy wearing the diamond temporarily!

P.S. Tell James Allen to get you a cheap Stuller setting if you buy one of their diamonds! You can do 14k for this. You don't need their 18k gold setting for a temporary setting.

When is the cruise?

chief44444

Rough_Rock
The following are pics of the second one and an ASET.

It's hard to know to go with ERD without seeing a pic of the diamond first. But mark says he can find something comprable to this. Should I trust his pick if it prices out the same (even without pics)?? BGD did not have anything in my budget

The diamond in the previous post was from c2b. gia attached along with another pic.

ja 1362064mag.jpg

aset ja.jpg

diamond 2115021117.jpg

gia 2115021117.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't like the look of the B2 stone in those pics.

The ASET looks ok to me, but I can't really make heads or tails of them usually. I like the shape. If the one from Mark is comparable, then I don't really see why you would go with him. If it is better, well that is another story. But I would want to see some proof. I don't think I would buy *totally* sight unseen, even from Mark. Can't he even get you a photo?

Don't buy and then return the temporary setting you want to take on vacation. I think that is a little... cheap or something. You can get a temp setting for like $240 bucks, even go 10k gold if you want to save even more.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a picture at an angle like that is very unhelpful. Do they really want to sell a diamond :confused: .

I'd almost be inclined to see what Mark can come up with. But the other question I'd have for him is how fast he could do the setting. I was thinking Steven might could do it before the cruise, but I don't remember if you said exactly when that is.

I am okay with the JA stone, but I wouldn't like it set the way the ASET pic is. I like the wider part going east-west.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh sorry, the BGD was from another thread with a poster looking for modern cushions. I apologize. I think that one looks ok as far as ASET. Where are you planning to get the setting made?

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the great comments.

We leave next Friday. Steven said he could do the setting if I got a diamond today. Mark is also aware of the deadline, and felt similarly to Steven. He also offers a discount on his setting if I buy the stone through him.

I agree with the consensus that it is a bit cheap/tacky to return a cheap-o setting. So I won't do that! Thanks diamondseeker for the tip on the JA setting.

@ Dreamer - I told Mark that I would be happy to proceed with him if he could send me pics, but I am too nervous to buy a diamond sight unseen. Problem is I am running into a deadline.

mark just sent me this about the JA diamond.

Hi jonathan:

I don’t want to make you crazy with this but there has to be something wrong with the color of that diamond.All the other diamonds of a similar category cost significantly more. When this happens its usually an indication that the color is low and the owner got lucky. There also can be a situation of the clarity but with a VS1 its unlikely. Even if I find a beautiful crushed ice will that take me out of the game. If yes make sure you ask about the color because again its priced much too low.

What do you guys think? I haven't really been a fan of the crushed ice.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's not going to find you a crushed ice one. He's just saying that the price is too low on the JA I VS stone. Hmmm. Well, so he has until tomorrow to find you a stone and take it over to Steven? Is that what you're aiming for? Or is it too late now to get it finished before the cruise?

If he could find a better one, I'd probably let him look. Maybe the I color stone is a very low I and it might not be white enough for you. But I'd tell him you can't go much higher in price.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Do you guys think the I could be that bad???

I guess I'll just wait to hear back from Mark about what's available. But he says that most stones HVS2 are outside my budget.

Steven and Mark are about the same price in terms of setting. Mark is a bit cheaper with an extra discount if I buy the stone from him. Does one have a better reputation?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Steven is in the class of Harry Winston (as well as Leon Mege when his work is at it's best).

I think Mark and some others are very good and can do a really nice setting, but I'd certainly go with Steven if my price allowed it. That said, if you end up spending more on the stone, then if you had to compromise and go with a lower priced setting, that could be understandable.

BUT, in thinking about this a lot, if this ring was for me, I think I'd probably rather have a really excellent stone at 1.3-1.49 (great cut and at least H VS2) since it is going to be in a halo setting anyway. And I'd put that great stone in the Steven Kirsch setting. I think you are going to be making compromises trying to stay above 1.5 cts. on the stone and then you may also end up making compromises on the setting. Learning from my own mistakes, I'd rather have the better quality and a slightly smaller center stone since the ring as a whole will be quite large once set. I mean, a 6mm stone with a 1mm halo is going to be at least 8mm in diameter!!! And your halo may even be 1.5mm making it 9mm! So really, I'd think 1.3 cts would be more than large enough for a HW type setting!

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Ok, so back to the drawing board for a 1.3-1.49??? Do you have any in mind?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I actually think it is for sale without the setting, since it says the setting is an additional 2000?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I would be extremely surprised- SHOCKED- if Mark and Steven were the same price for the setting. Mark's settings are CAD/cast (I think Steven is handmade). Also I just got a new ring from Mark (got the diamond from him). Whiteflash and BGD were both ~$1K MORE for the same design. Mark gave me a discount because I got the stone from him, but I can't imagine it was that much of a discount. He does great work, I'm extremely happy with my ring. But I didn't get an intricate halo design so I can't comment on that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chief44444|1304985041|2916801 said:
Ok, so back to the drawing board for a 1.3-1.49??? Do you have any in mind?

Okay, I am going to make this my project for tonight! I just wish more vendors had cushion pictures!!! I'll be back!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
chief you may also want to ask ERD what they can find in a smaller size?

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Just sent ERD a message

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree about a smaller H VS2 stone. The halo adds about 2mm in diameter, so the % difference between a 1.3ct and a 1.5ct once set in the halo becomes too small to be noticable.

If Mark and Steven are the same price, get a temp settign and wait to get Steven to make it. He hand makes his rings and they are in a different class than CAD/cast.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, after looking as thoroughly as possible, I am just not seeing anything on James Allen that I love even in the under 1.5 range. I would even go down to 1.2 cts. if there was a great stone, but I just didn't see any. Well, that is not true. Good Old Gold has gorgeous square hearts and arrows stones and their August Vintage stones are outstanding. But wow, we are talking a different price range altogether. We have to go down to 1 ct. to even begin to look at those. But I want you to see what a gorgeous antique style cushion looks like to show you that gorgeous ones DO exist!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7958/

We just need to find you a perfect modern one! But on that note, I think you need to get Mark to find you an excellent one that is between 1.25 and 1.5, H or I VS2, preferably. You can specify something like 1.05 ratio or less and that you prefer an 8 main cushion if at all possible. I think he'll be able to find you something within budget by going down in size, and that is a respectable size range for a halo setting.

I'm sorry there just wasn't one, but your patience will pay off because I am hoping Mark can find a better one tomorrow! (And then I'd call Steven and beg him to please do the setting before the trip!!!! And sorry, I saw that you posted the date at least twice earlier in the thread once I read back through!!!) let us know what mark can come up with tomorrow!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jpace2044|1304992153|2916929 said:
What about this one?

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8261/

I prefer antique cushions so I have no idea if this a is a good modern cushion but the price seems right...

I think it is pretty, too, but he really wants a more square one! Good suggestion, though! :))

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Bob from WF sent this over as an option

Cushion Modified 1.30 H VS1 EX VG GIA N 65.8% 61% 6.42x6.29x4.14 $7,503 Ratio 1.02:1

But again, without seeing pictures it's hard to make a decision.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
As per Mark's idea, I requested a visual inspection of the diamond at JA. He was worried that the I coloring is too dark. This is the response that I got back:

Megan informed me that you wanted diamond 1362064 inspected by one of our graduate gemologists. I have great news, this diamond was inspected at the end of April so I'll be able to provide you with its results now. I'm happy to say that the gemologist determined that this diamond is completely eye clean and has a nice cut, as well as nice light performance. Its I color performance does have some warmth to it but shouldn't be visible unless you have it next to a colorless (D, E, or F) diamond. Based on this information, you have selected a great diamond and I believe you will be very pleased when you see it in person.

Can I feel more confident in this diamond now? Or is this just cheap talk?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is still a good prospect, but don't use higher than H color tiny diamonds (melee) in the halo. Then you won't have the contrast between the center stone and the others. It will be more of a soft candlelight glow as opposed to bright white. Sort of depends on personal preference. All you really lose by ordering it is time if you end up not liking it. Since there is SO little available, I'd probably order it and see from there unless Mark comes up with something pretty quick.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamond. That makes me feel better. I just got an email back from Mark that he has found two sharp 1.3 HVS1s for 7500 each. I'm tempted to buy one of Mark's and the JA and compare. But without seeing pics of Mark's options it's hard to decide.

So really the question is whether a 1.3 HVS1 is preferred to an 1.5 IVS1 (nearly the same price, the I is $300 more expensive)??? And can I trust Mark's selection if the 1.3 is preferred?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd rather have the 1.3 H VS1 if it is even remotely better cut because I do think you'll like the color better in a cushion especially if the I color one is a low I. How fast can he get pictures? I think it would be great if you didn't have to go to the trouble to order the I stone if one of these two are great!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
can he get you pics?

I would prefer a higher color if the diamond is going into a halo setting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If mark has seen the images ofthe JA stone and can assure you that the H VS1s he has located are as nicely (or better cut) then I might be tempted to go ahead and order the stone from Mark to see in person even if he cannot get pictures to you in a timely manner. I would trust him on this type of thing.

An I color cushion in a halo is a bit of a risk color wise. Although you can get lower color melee as DS suggested, there are other aspects of the diamonds that will highlight the color differences -- small diamonds, like those used in a halo, always look very white, no matter their body color; larger diamonds in the I/J color range show a warmer white and in fact change appearance a lot depending on the lighting. Now some people like this contrast. I have found tha twearing my J color stone next to melee diamonds highlights its warmth in a way I do not prefer.

So all else being equal, I would opt for an H over an I if you plan to halo the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results