shape
carat
color
clarity

1.5 ct Cushion

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Pictures!!! I think I like the one on the right.

1.3s form mark.jpg

1.3 gias.jpg

1.3 gia 2.jpg

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Can you guys tell from the pics if one is cut better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES!!! I DO like them better! :appl: Let me take a close look at them..be right back!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both have a lovely shape...perfect for the halo! I might have a slight preference for the facet pattern on the left, but I believe that stone goes with the bottom grading report, and I am not wild about the tiny inclusion being on the table...EVEN THOUGH a VS1 should be completely eye clean. But the biggest strike against it is that it is smaller than the other one, and since we went below 1.5 to try and get a nicer stone, I think you need to go with the one that has the top lab report, stock #11544. That one is 6.42x6.29 mm which is roughly equal to the size of a 1 carat round, and I just wouldn't want to go smaller than that. So that would be the deciding factor for me.

What does Mark say? He knows cushions well. I'd want to know if he'd be okay with the larger of the two.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert.. but I love the one on the left.. for some reason.. I wonder why our eyes are attracted to certain patterns in the stones... :naughty: Following your story has been fun.. can't wait to see the finished product!!!

chief44444

Rough_Rock
So Mark's take was that 1.31 is better and more brilliant.

DS - I like the specs on the 1.3 better, but the facet pattern doesn't look as nice. Do you think I'd notice the inclusion if it's graded VS1??

chief44444

Rough_Rock
I ordered the 1.31 (on the left) and am going with mark for the setting. :D I couldn't quite afford the extra 1300 for Steven's setting. And I appreciated DiamondSeeker's points, but I had to go with the one that stood out to me. I'll post pics when it arrives. Now to fend off the buyer's remorse :shock: .

happybear

Shiny_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Congratulations! Remember to post pictures when you receive it :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I trust Mark's judgement on the diamond, and if he can get your ring done before the cruise, then I don't blame you for going ahead! Don't have buyer's remorse, either!!! You did a great job and I think your patience paid off because I do like this stone better than the one at JA.

I'll be very anxious to see the finished ring, and please promise to come back and tell about your proposal and give us some hand shots of the ring on her hand! :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh sounds great! I am glad it worked out!!!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!! Mark is great to work with and I'm sure you and your future wife will be thrilled!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yippee! I liked the one on the left for facet pattern, with a VS1 I don't worry about inclusions, so good choice!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Ok .. I must be the odd ball here. I like the shape and the brightness of the table on the right one better. I don't know which diamond belongs to which vendor and didn't look at the certs.

Did you get a video clip of the two diamonds? That will really help break the tie given these two diamonds are so close.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1305091888|2918225 said:
Ok .. I must be the odd ball here. I like the shape and the brightness of the table on the right one better. I don't know which diamond belongs to which vendor and didn't look at the certs.

Did you get a video clip of the two diamonds? That will really help break the tie given these two diamonds are so close.

Charmy, they are both cushions that Mark T brought in. Chief is on a deadline and he had to make a choice last night in order for the ring to be ready for their cruise a week from Saturday. I thought both had a nice shape and the one on the right was larger, which I thought would be good since his original goal was a 1.5 ct. But Mark told him the one on the left was more brilliant so he went with that.

Spesh2011

Rough_Rock
This has been the most helpful thread ever! I can't wait to see pics of the finished product! :appl:

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the wonderful thoughts, advice, and overall hep in this process. DS is right, I had to make a decision so that Mark could have the ring set and in my hand before we leave next week.

DS - The cushion on the left was the 1.31. Your points were apt in that it did have a smaller dimensions and the slight inclusion. But you're also right that I really had to trust mark's judgment. And I don't really have too much buyer's remorse.

I will keep you guys posted on how the proposal goes. I'm off to her parent's house tonight to discuss, but we're great friends, so really shouldn't be too stressful. Pics to come... :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very exciting!!! :appl: We just did that back in the fall when our daughter's then boyfriend asked us to lunch! They are married now. But it was a very fun time! I am sure her parents will be delighted!

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Hey Gang,

The ring is made and is being shipped today! Will arrive tomorrow am!

I ordered this setting http://engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondJewelryDetails.aspx?ID=2 from Mark, which contains "Side Stones: 74 =5/8ct tw" or .63ct, BUT, when I got the appraisal from Mark, the side stones only have .47ct?

I know it might be overly picky, but shouldn't the setting be exactly what I ordered? Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW - The main reason I care is because I moved down to a 1.31 center and wanted the total to be close to 2.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call and ask Mark about it. The tcw will depend on the size of the center stone since the halo accounts for a lot of the diamonds. Also shank width. But he can answer better than us.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Mark changed the appraisal and bill of sale to state .64. I am content. I wish I didn't care!!! :rolleyes: Ok, enough worrying about this for today. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Thank you all again.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
what's her ring size? It's possible that they just needed fewer diamonds to make it for her. Definitely call Mark if your concerned.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
She is a 5.75. I don't really care if there is .47 or .64, I just want to be able to give her the certificate that says total weight is 1.95! How cheesy is that!!

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
chief44444|1305830056|2925828 said:
She is a 5.75. I don't really care if there is .47 or .64, I just want to be able to give her the certificate that says total weight is 1.95! How cheesy is that!!

Its not cheesy. Its sweet and I'm sure she'll appreciate how much time and effort you spent on her ring. :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had this conversation here recently about the fact that you really don't usually tell people a ring is 2 cts. unless the center stone is 2 cts. ;)) You got a beautiful center stone and it is larger than most people's, so don't sweat the weight of the stones in the setting!

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sheherizaad and DS. I will try not to break custom on the nomenclature.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
chief44444|1305836937|2925925 said:
Thanks Sheherizaad and DS. I will try not to break custom on the nomenclature.

haha... you can tell people whatever you like, but saying the total makes it look like you are trying to inflate the size of your rock 8) You havea big rock, she will be proud to wear it.

chief44444

Rough_Rock
Hi gang, we're back and engaged!!!

{Perhaps this should section should go in a different forum??}
Everything went supremely well.We had been having a fantastic vacation, but my first two options for proposal locations did not pan out. One restaurant was closed, and our horseback riding trip to a waterfall was accompanied by guides who constantly tried to shake us down for extra tips (not very romantic). Finally about midway through, we rented a quad and rode to a private beach to lay out and have lunch. Serendipitously, while laying out my fiance began talking about how happy we were together and family and kids etc...when I snuck around to "get some sunscreen" and pulled the ring out of a hidden spot in the beach bag and proposed. She was shocked, which led to a painful few moments of disbelief, until she said "of course". :D

She loves the ring. Everyone has complimented her on it as well. It really does look quite big. As promised there are pictures attached.

Also, I have written a testimonial on behalf of Mark at ERD. Can someone suggest where I should post it?? He really did help quite a bit throughout.

Lastly, I wanted to thank you all for the tremendous support and help you provided. I really could not have done it without you. Thank you. I have recommended that all of my friends who are next up use this resource. I too plan to continue to chime in from time to time.

Cheers!

2011-05-20_13-19-00_621.jpg

2011-05-20_13-19-14_280.jpg

IMG_3157.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! So glad you came back. There is a section of the forum called "Show Me The Bling" ad you can post a thread there with your engagement story and the stats of your ring, and a link to this thread. I would put your praise of Mark there too, as it will get more traffic and be easier to search. There is also a testimonials section where you can post about MArk if you want.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, please start a thread in the Show me your Bling forum with more pictures!! Congrats on your engagement and the ring looks beautiful!!

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for sharing pictures and your story, I've been jealously watching :Up_to_something: this thread since we're having a similar setting created for a 1.35 carat cushion - yours turned out beautifully and I'm so happy to see how much finger coverage there is! Best of luck and congratulations to you both!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results