shape
carat
color
clarity

1.43 VS1 with new GIA Cut Grading

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mighl1

Rough_Rock
I''m new to Diamond buying, but frequent this forum for information. If anyone could advise to whether or not this is a good purchase, I would greatly appreciate it. My concerns are with the crown height, crown angle, and surface graining.

GIA SPECS
Carat Weight: 1.43
Shape: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.25 - 7.28 x 4.41 mm
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.7%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Flourescence: None

Crown Angle: 34.0
Crown Height: 14.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6%
Pavilion Depth: 42.5%
Total Depth: 60.7
Cut Grade: Excellent
Comments: Surface graining is not shown.

Price: $14,000

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
My only concern : I hate surface graining as I could see it with the naked eye.
Girdle is on the fat side too...
Angles are probably perfect, don''t worry.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Ask them to show you on what facet the graining is and try to see it with the naked eye.

Sunshines

Rough_Rock
I personally think this is a good stone.....E VS1 above 1.4 ct but below 1.5 is just what I have been looking for.... I have a stone DVS2 which has both surface and internal graining but it looks so brilliant that I just ignored it after a while...... and this stone has the Ex cut endorsed by GIA..

I would go for it if in your position.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.5 size w/o the premium... and whatever clarity maters should be merely academic given the VS1 grade.

GIA's cut grading has been accused of using approximations (rounding), but those numbers are good enough to allow a bit of give and take w/o getting anywhere bad - IMO. I would not worry about crown, pavilion and what not deparately - those angles are supposed to work together ('seen THIS?)
38.gif

All in all, if this isn't a charmer, I couldn't tell why from the info given.

Seeing is believing, as usual.
5.gif

My 2c

Btw. speaking of 1.5cts... for the same price, the .1mm difference in size between this one and the magic 1.5cts would bring the grades down to F/Si1 or so (for a H&A diamond, like THIS). I wonder if there is any visible difference between E/VS and F/SI in principle, but it is your call to decide what matters beyond visual impression.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Valaria,
Could you please explain how the color of a diamond would change? I always thought the color was the color and nothing, not cut or inclusions, could change that fact. I assumed the diamond was "born" a certain color at that was that. Please explain!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2006 8:50:51 AM
Author: klavigne

Valaria,
Could you please explain how the color of a diamond would change?
I don''t quite get the question, I am afraid
15.gif

In the previous post I meant to say that between E and F there is only some very faint difference difficult enough to see on loose diamonds given grading conditions, and very, very difficult to trace once the stones are set. Some appraisals and lab reports done on set diamonds would only give split grades for this reason - it isn''t just hard for rookies like me.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
In your previous post you said:

for the same price, the .1mm difference in size between this one and the magic 1.5cts would bring the grades down to F/Si1 or so

I''m just wondering how. Lets say that there is a rough somewhere and it''s graded at an E color. I always thought that any stone of any shape and cut would always be graded the same as the original roughs color. So I guess my question is, even if the stone was cut a little larger and made it to the 1.5c range, how would the size of the cut change what it''s color is?

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
This stone shows up as a 0.6 on the HCA, looks good. I would say the price is in the ballpark of similiar stones. If it looks good to you then there is nothing wrong with it. Good Luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2006 9:04:09 AM
Author: klavigne

In your previous post you said:

for the same price, the .1mm difference in size between this one and the magic 1.5cts would bring the grades down to F/Si1 or so

I''m just wondering how.

Hm... sometimes I don''t understand what I am writing myself!
9.gif
Case in point there, I am afraid.

The contorted sentence wants to say that 1.5cts F/Si1 costs as much as 1.4cts E/VS1! Obviously these is only minimal size (diameter) difference between the two - about a tenth of a millimeter. But there is a sizable price jump at 1.5 carats. IMO (and not only), this makes diamonds such as your choice quite desirable.

Sorry for the confusing post...

Mighl1

Rough_Rock
Everyone,

Thanks for all the great replies. I will be getting the diamond early next week to see for myself. Hopefully, this will be a keeper. Forums like this are a great place to gain knowledge and peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results