Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3rd Diamond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Guys,

First time posting and newbie searcher in finding the ultimate diamond for my one and only partner :)

I have been searching and 0.9 carat round brilliant sounds the perfect size for my wallet and her preference.

I have been offered 3 diamonds by 3 different vendors. At the moment, no idealscope image is available like what the rest are suggesting, but I hope I can get some feedback or recommendation on them. I have attached all 3 GIA report attached.

1st Diamond 0.9 F VVS2 - GIA: 624277628
Size 6.16 x 6.18 x 3.81mm
*Cheapest among the 3 but concern with the cloud characteristic

2nd Diamond 0.9 F VVS2 - GIA: 2183080334
Size 6.30 x 6.32 x 3.75mm
*5% more expensive than 1st diamond

3rd Diamond 0.91 F VVS2 - GIA: 7232851539
Size 6.25 x 6.27 x 3.81mm
*10% more expensive than 1st diamond

So what do you guys think? is the 2nd and 3rd diamond worth the premium? and what is the best diamond among 3?

Thank you

Best Wishes,
Kevin

Attachments

• 6242776728.pdf
    404.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 7232851539.pdf
    403.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 2183080334.pdf
    420.3 KB · Views: 73

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Based solely on reports, I'd take the one with only the pinpoints as you get more visual spread for the carat weight. Though the one with the clouds is one where the Crown and Pavillion angles are closer to what you would expect for a superideal cut.

Without looking at the reports, the 2nd one was my first pick as you got a massive spread for carat weight. After looking at its report with depth pretty much equalling table, it might end up giving you more brilliance than fire.

Are there any images of the each of the diamonds as its hard to really make a call without being able to see what they actually look like in addition to IS and/or ASET imagery.

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi bmfang,

Thank you so much for the thorough response.

Unfortunately none of them able to provide me with the idealscope or aset imagery. Should I still get their photo? What if they still cant since they are saying they need to get it from the wholesalers, is it worth the risk?

Thanks

salcas

Rough_Rock
Hi bmfang,

Thank you so much for the thorough response.

Unfortunately none of them able to provide me with the idealscope or aset imagery. Should I still get their photo? What if they still cant since they are saying they need to get it from the wholesalers, is it worth the risk?

Thanks

I would look elsewhere since this is a big purchase. There are so many stones out there with additional images available. Just my 2 cents.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
All three of the diamonds have decent HCA scores (sub 2.0) hence the reason why I'm asking about images. If they are unwilling (or can't be bothered) to provide photos of the actual diamond (let alone any reflector scope images), I'd go with another vendor (like the ones we usually recommend here on PS) who do provide images and/or videos.

What is your budget?

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would look elsewhere since this is a big purchase. There are so many stones out there with additional images available. Just my 2 cents.
Hi man, much appreciated for the input. I will give it a thought.

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
All three of the diamonds have decent HCA scores (sub 2.0) hence the reason why I'm asking about images. If they are unwilling (or can't be bothered) to provide photos of the actual diamond (let alone any reflector scope images), I'd go with another vendor (like the ones we usually recommend here on PS) who do provide images and/or videos.

What is your budget?
Hi bmfang, thanks again for the response. My partner really like round brilliant diamond and although she wants 1 carat like all other i guess, the increment is just not worthed. Did my search and 0.9 looks to have the better value. My budget is around $5-6k.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you definitely need F colour VVS clarity or are you willing to consider lower colour and clarity? Because if you are, you might be able to get closer to 1ct (or even get 1ct).

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
Do you definitely need F colour VVS clarity or are you willing to consider lower colour and clarity? Because if you are, you might be able to get closer to 1ct (or even get 1ct).
Hi Bmfang, i would prefer the colour to stay as F but clarity can go down until vs1/vs2 i guess.
How crucial is the characteristic btw? Heard cloud needs to be avoided kind of thing.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Bmfang, i would prefer the colour to stay as F but clarity can go down until vs1/vs2 i guess.
How crucial is the characteristic btw? Heard cloud needs to be avoided kind of thing.

You should be looking for an eye clean stone from 8-10" viewing distance. What you see in images and videos assists in determining whether or not things are eye clean with the stone. With VS1 you are likely to be safer than VS2. Clouds can pose a problem but this is where the imaging helps you out. For stones under 1ct, I would not buy just based on reports alone (though with VVS2 clarity stones, they should be ok). If you are able to get those stones for sub-$6k, that price is in line with the vast majority of comparable ~0.9ct F VVS2 stones at James Allen which are priced anywhere from USD5150 to USD7200.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...pthFrom=45&DepthTo=80&TableFrom=50&TableTo=83

The difference with James Allen is however that you have access to imagery (and they shoudl be able to obtain IS images for stones).

Another stone you may want to consider is this stone from Whiteflash's Premium Select range which is a 0.9ct F VS1 GIA Triple Excellent (and the listing has complete IS and ASET imagery to go with the grading report):
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3784251.htm

This one only has a feather as the grading characteristic and I'm having difficulty spotting where it is in the provided imagery on the listing. It's a nicely cut stone and I'm having difficulty figuring out why it didn't make it into Whiteflash's Expert Selection or ACA range.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's how I look at clarity and I think this may help you. Now, this is a somewhat American way of looking at diamond purchases. Some cultures prefer to have a high color and high clarity so if you belong to one of those cultures and want a high color and clarity go for it. But if you're choosing a high color and high clarity becuase you've read those are either best, I'd suggest you think a mo on that. Anyways...

Put your money into what you can see. If you cannot see the inclusions in a vvs clarity diamond and you cannot see the inclusions in a vs clarity diamond.... What ON THE HAND is the difference between those two diamonds. Now, you can absolutely find eye clean stones in both ranges. So again, when you put it on her hand, what's the difference between a stone without visible inclusions and another stone without visible inclusions? To that point, using the money you save on the clarity grade can go towards other parts of the diamond you can see. Like carat.

Next does SHE want a white colorless diamond or do YOU want to get her a colorless diamond? So far what you've said is she wants a one carat and you don't want to go below an F. I understand it's your money, and you want to be proud of what you get her. But this is a gift. And if she prioritizes size over color, then in my opinion your not respecting her wishes by doing the opposite.
Also seeing some in person might help you realize that Gs can be very white too.

If you went for a G vs2? There would be no problem hitting her size request.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kevin -

Without beating around the bush - I'm not loving any of your selections. Particularly without ASETs, your stats aren't good enough. You're doing what a lot of guys do - which is go high in color and clarity and miss out on cut stats and size. Getting below 2 as an HCA only means a stone is worth CONSIDERING - it doesn't mean it's a great stone.

I love G colored stones (keep in mind, this is coming from a woman who has a huge collection of E colored stones and all the way down to K colored stones) and I love the way they reflect light. A G is a very white stone and will show no tint from any angle.

Re clarity, I am completely with Niel here, that one stone where you cant see inclusions is no better than another stone where you can't see inclusions - so where is the advantage in a VVS2 stone - especially in that size range? If you're looking at a huge stone, maybe in a step cut style, perhaps then a VVS2 might make sense. But in something under 2cts (or even higher - mine is VS2 and 3.61 ct and I can't see a THING re inclusions) a VS2 is plenty clean enough. I'd normally say an SI1 would be fine, but I suspect that for you, mentally, an SI1 would be 'a bridge too far'. However, be aware, almost all SI1 stones at that size will be eye clean. So, a VS2 will actually give you some wiggle room for clarity.

In diamonds, women like size. Rather than going 'close...ish' to what she wants, and getting more of what you want, aim to blow her out of the water and get her something in the 1.2ct range with GREAT stats and a little less on the color/clarity spectrum; unless there's cultural issues at play here, I guarantee you she'll thank you for it! The first thing she, and every other single person who sees this ring, will see - is its size. Make sure you hit that - then negotiate on invisible inclusions if it's important to you. But cut FIRST - size second and clarity last - with color being a moderator.

Personally, I'd be looking on Blue Nile, especially since a lot of their stones now have video. You'll get the best bang for your buck. Do you need help choosing something? Let us know if you do, and we'll help you find something that might be a better balance of what you and your fiancee both want.

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
You should be looking for an eye clean stone from 8-10" viewing distance. What you see in images and videos assists in determining whether or not things are eye clean with the stone. With VS1 you are likely to be safer than VS2. Clouds can pose a problem but this is where the imaging helps you out. For stones under 1ct, I would not buy just based on reports alone (though with VVS2 clarity stones, they should be ok). If you are able to get those stones for sub-$6k, that price is in line with the vast majority of comparable ~0.9ct F VVS2 stones at James Allen which are priced anywhere from USD5150 to USD7200.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...pthFrom=45&DepthTo=80&TableFrom=50&TableTo=83

The difference with James Allen is however that you have access to imagery (and they shoudl be able to obtain IS images for stones).

Another stone you may want to consider is this stone from Whiteflash's Premium Select range which is a 0.9ct F VS1 GIA Triple Excellent (and the listing has complete IS and ASET imagery to go with the grading report):
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3784251.htm

This one only has a feather as the grading characteristic and I'm having difficulty spotting where it is in the provided imagery on the listing. It's a nicely cut stone and I'm having difficulty figuring out why it didn't make it into Whiteflash's Expert Selection or ACA range.

Here's how I look at clarity and I think this may help you. Now, this is a somewhat American way of looking at diamond purchases. Some cultures prefer to have a high color and high clarity so if you belong to one of those cultures and want a high color and clarity go for it. But if you're choosing a high color and high clarity becuase you've read those are either best, I'd suggest you think a mo on that. Anyways...

Put your money into what you can see. If you cannot see the inclusions in a vvs clarity diamond and you cannot see the inclusions in a vs clarity diamond.... What ON THE HAND is the difference between those two diamonds. Now, you can absolutely find eye clean stones in both ranges. So again, when you put it on her hand, what's the difference between a stone without visible inclusions and another stone without visible inclusions? To that point, using the money you save on the clarity grade can go towards other parts of the diamond you can see. Like carat.

Next does SHE want a white colorless diamond or do YOU want to get her a colorless diamond? So far what you've said is she wants a one carat and you don't want to go below an F. I understand it's your money, and you want to be proud of what you get her. But this is a gift. And if she prioritizes size over color, then in my opinion your not respecting her wishes by doing the opposite.
Also seeing some in person might help you realize that Gs can be very white too.

If you went for a G vs2? There would be no problem hitting her size request.

Hi Kevin -

Without beating around the bush - I'm not loving any of your selections. Particularly without ASETs, your stats aren't good enough. You're doing what a lot of guys do - which is go high in color and clarity and miss out on cut stats and size. Getting below 2 as an HCA only means a stone is worth CONSIDERING - it doesn't mean it's a great stone.

I love G colored stones (keep in mind, this is coming from a woman who has a huge collection of E colored stones and all the way down to K colored stones) and I love the way they reflect light. A G is a very white stone and will show no tint from any angle.

Re clarity, I am completely with Niel here, that one stone where you cant see inclusions is no better than another stone where you can't see inclusions - so where is the advantage in a VVS2 stone - especially in that size range? If you're looking at a huge stone, maybe in a step cut style, perhaps then a VVS2 might make sense. But in something under 2cts (or even higher - mine is VS2 and 3.61 ct and I can't see a THING re inclusions) a VS2 is plenty clean enough. I'd normally say an SI1 would be fine, but I suspect that for you, mentally, an SI1 would be 'a bridge too far'. However, be aware, almost all SI1 stones at that size will be eye clean. So, a VS2 will actually give you some wiggle room for clarity.

In diamonds, women like size. Rather than going 'close...ish' to what she wants, and getting more of what you want, aim to blow her out of the water and get her something in the 1.2ct range with GREAT stats and a little less on the color/clarity spectrum; unless there's cultural issues at play here, I guarantee you she'll thank you for it! The first thing she, and every other single person who sees this ring, will see - is its size. Make sure you hit that - then negotiate on invisible inclusions if it's important to you. But cut FIRST - size second and clarity last - with color being a moderator.

Personally, I'd be looking on Blue Nile, especially since a lot of their stones now have video. You'll get the best bang for your buck. Do you need help choosing something? Let us know if you do, and we'll help you find something that might be a better balance of what you and your fiancee both want.

Hi bmfang, niel, mrs-b,

Thank you so much for the overwhelming responses. I never thought I would get a considerate suggestion and very much appreciate and thankful for it.

I am originally from Indonesia and about to buy it from my homeland as I see it as a less hussle. Unfortunatly though its true that it is a culture where diamond needs to be at high colour and clarity. After doing so much research, I did find that "Cut is the true king".
My partner is a very humble person and let me pick what is best as long as it is close to 1 carat.

If you guys dont mind, would you be able to recommend me the best specs for 1 carat? For clarity I feel comfortable going to vs2 and colour shouldnt be lower than G, I do think however she would prefer F as a lot of her friends kept discussing about colourless diamond range. Also something that I always have in mind is the fluorescent characteristic, is it okay as a compensation for the price?

Thank you so much for all these responses which I cant thank enough. Looking forward for more good news.

Best wishes,
Kevin

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah based on what you said F sounds like the most appropriate color. It's tough I can't recommend particular stones as I don't know dealers in your country but my recommendation is to look for ideal cut stones gia certificate and try to see them in person. Id try to keep the table 55-56 (57 is ok too ) and the depth ideally not dealer than 62.1

Other specs can come down to personal preference, I like a crown/pavilion combo of 34.5/40.8 but that's not a NEED NEED just a preference.

As for fluorescence, as you'll be judging the with your own eye, I'd stick to non, negligible or medium at most.

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Niel,

Thanks again for the response.
I do not kind buying from online retailer now like james alen or bluenile if you can recommend the specs for me. Thanks a lot.

Yeah based on what you said F sounds like the most appropriate color. It's tough I can't recommend particular stones as I don't know dealers in your country but my recommendation is to look for ideal cut stones gia certificate and try to see them in person. Id try to keep the table 55-56 (57 is ok too ) and the depth ideally not dealer than 62.1

Other specs can come down to personal preference, I like a crown/pavilion combo of 34.5/40.8 but that's not a NEED NEED just a preference.

As for fluorescence, as you'll be judging the with your own eye, I'd stick to non, negligible or medium at most.[/QUOT

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As another option, if you're open to pre-loved diamonds, you could always search DiamondBistro and LoupeTroop for a 0.90ct GIA XXX colorless diamond ...

Sometimes the pre-loved listings include a wealth of information similar to what you'd find on James Allen/Blue Nile, though in exchange for the reduced pricing of preloved listings you give up the return & upgrade policies offered by most reputable diamond vendors.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile is terribly difficult to link to but this looks like a perfectly lovely option (go to their website and search )

LD08323881

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't think of that but there was just an ideal cut d for sale. Was that yours?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi bmfang, niel, mrs-b,

Thank you so much for the overwhelming responses. I never thought I would get a considerate suggestion and very much appreciate and thankful for it.

I am originally from Indonesia and about to buy it from my homeland as I see it as a less hussle. Unfortunatly though its true that it is a culture where diamond needs to be at high colour and clarity. After doing so much research, I did find that "Cut is the true king".
My partner is a very humble person and let me pick what is best as long as it is close to 1 carat.

If you guys dont mind, would you be able to recommend me the best specs for 1 carat? For clarity I feel comfortable going to vs2 and colour shouldnt be lower than G, I do think however she would prefer F as a lot of her friends kept discussing about colourless diamond range. Also something that I always have in mind is the fluorescent characteristic, is it okay as a compensation for the price?

Thank you so much for all these responses which I cant thank enough. Looking forward for more good news.

Best wishes,
Kevin

Ah, that would explain the colour-clarity thing then. I'm originally from Malaysia (now in Australia) and the prevailing notion there is high colour high clarity equals better diamond. I think it's an Asian thing. Might also explain the lack of ability for the vendors being unable to provide you with IS and ASET images of the original 3 stones you mentioned.

Seems like Blue Nile doesn't ship to Indonesia so that means that is one less option for you. :(

Did a search of James Allen for stones between 0.95ct to 1.1ct and you can get ~1 carat stones for around USD$6k (or just over). But using some basic screening proportions (depth: 60-62.5; table 54-58; colour: F-G; clarity: VS2-VS1; cut: excellent), I can only find 8 stones within the James Allen inventory that are under USD$6500. From what I can see, most of them do not have complimentary angles to them.

The only one of those 8 which I would consider (if I was purchasing myself) is this 1.03 G VS1 with Medium Blue fluorescence at USD$6400:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2665810
The angles on this are ok (CA: 35.5; PA: 40.8). Usually, fluorescence isn't recommended for stones that are D-G in colour. With this one, the medium blue fluorescence doesn't appear to affect the transparency of the stone to my eyes. One could always get the James Allen gemologist to check it. The arrows are nice and distinct looking face up to it and you can barely see the crystal inclusions under the table (they look white in colour to me) at 20x magnification. When looked at using 1x magnification, it's definitely eye-clean to me.

The three that showed up that were exactly USD$6k, one of them was not available and the other two, I can see polishing marks on the stone. :S

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
As another option, if you're open to pre-loved diamonds, you could always search DiamondBistro and LoupeTroop for a 0.90ct GIA XXX colorless diamond ...

Sometimes the pre-loved listings include a wealth of information similar to what you'd find on James Allen/Blue Nile, though in exchange for the reduced pricing of preloved listings you give up the return & upgrade policies offered by most reputable diamond vendors.

Blue Nile is terribly difficult to link to but this looks like a perfectly lovely option (go to their website and search )

LD08323881

Ah, that would explain the colour-clarity thing then. I'm originally from Malaysia (now in Australia) and the prevailing notion there is high colour high clarity equals better diamond. I think it's an Asian thing. Might also explain the lack of ability for the vendors being unable to provide you with IS and ASET images of the original 3 stones you mentioned.

Seems like Blue Nile doesn't ship to Indonesia so that means that is one less option for you. :(

Did a search of James Allen for stones between 0.95ct to 1.1ct and you can get ~1 carat stones for around USD$6k (or just over). But using some basic screening proportions (depth: 60-62.5; table 54-58; colour: F-G; clarity: VS2-VS1; cut: excellent), I can only find 8 stones within the James Allen inventory that are under USD$6500. From what I can see, most of them do not have complimentary angles to them.

The only one of those 8 which I would consider (if I was purchasing myself) is this 1.03 G VS1 with Medium Blue fluorescence at USD$6400:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2665810
The angles on this are ok (CA: 35.5; PA: 40.8). Usually, fluorescence isn't recommended for stones that are D-G in colour. With this one, the medium blue fluorescence doesn't appear to affect the transparency of the stone to my eyes. One could always get the James Allen gemologist to check it. The arrows are nice and distinct looking face up to it and you can barely see the crystal inclusions under the table (they look white in colour to me) at 20x magnification. When looked at using 1x magnification, it's definitely eye-clean to me.

The three that showed up that were exactly USD$6k, one of them was not available and the other two, I can see polishing marks on the stone. :S

Hi mmarymm, thank you for the suggestion i will think about it.

Hi Niel, thank you for the attempt, would you be able to advise what the spec filter should i be looking at? Thanks a lot.

Hi bmfang, i am actually in melbourne lol. Been living here for the past 7 years. Thus, bluenile can be an option for me. May be I can even find you for advice lol. Can you suggest the filter or even the diamond? Thank you so much.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Further to the JA selection I made above, I would take cut quality over an arbitrary carat weight, so I'd still choose the WF Premium Select stone I linked to earlier. It's cut better than the 1.03 G VS1 from JA.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi mmarymm, thank you for the suggestion i will think about it.

Hi Niel, thank you for the attempt, would you be able to advise what the spec filter should i be looking at? Thanks a lot.

Hi bmfang, i am actually in melbourne lol. Been living here for the past 7 years. Thus, bluenile can be an option for me. May be I can even find you for advice lol. Can you suggest the filter or even the diamond? Thank you so much.

Ah, you're down south. I'm up here in Brisbane so a bit difficult. So Blue Nile is back on the cards :D

I have been running searches using the following filters on James Allen and Blue Nile:
  • Polish & Symmetry: Excellent
  • Table: 54-58%
  • Depth: 60-62.5%
  • CA: 34-35.5
  • PA: 40-41
At Blue Nile, what about these ones?
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08447138 (or search for LD08447138) - HCA 1.4, 1.05 F VS1 with Strong Blue Fluorescence, dimensions 6.48 x 6.50 x 4.02 mm
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08319727 (LD08319727) - HCA 0.9, 1.07 G VS1 with Strong Blue Fluorescence, dimensions 6.54 x 6.59 x 4.03 mm

Dunno if BN have any gemologists on staff, but if they do I'd ask them about IS, ASET and getting them to check whether the fluorescence has a negative impact on the stone.

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
Ah, you're down south. I'm up here in Brisbane so a bit difficult. So Blue Nile is back on the cards :D

I have been running searches using the following filters on James Allen and Blue Nile:
  • Polish & Symmetry: Excellent
  • Table: 54-58%
  • Depth: 60-62.5%
  • CA: 34-35.5
  • PA: 40-41
At Blue Nile, what about these ones?
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08447138 (or search for LD08447138) - HCA 1.4, 1.05 F VS1 with Strong Blue Fluorescence, dimensions 6.48 x 6.50 x 4.02 mm
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD08319727 (LD08319727) - HCA 0.9, 1.07 G VS1 with Strong Blue Fluorescence, dimensions 6.54 x 6.59 x 4.03 mm

Dunno if BN have any gemologists on staff, but if they do I'd ask them about IS, ASET and getting them to check whether the fluorescence has a negative impact on the stone.
Hi bmfang, thanks again for the quick response. How about the fluorescent, should i be looking at none? How bad is it to have one? Does it make the diamond blue?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi bmfang, thanks again for the quick response. How about the fluorescent, should i be looking at none? How bad is it to have one? Does it make the diamond blue?

First up, I am a fluorescence lover. The other diamonds at BN that I looked at did not exhibit the same type of optical symmetry that these two did. And it just so happened that they had strong blue fluorescence.

Fluorescence doesn't "make" a diamond blue for most colour grades. Though one has to be a bit careful when you get up to say D-E coloured stones as it may sometimes cause the stone to exhibit a blue-ish tinge in lighting situations where there is strong UV light. I personally like that effect. Others may not. In other cases, having varying levels of blue fluorescence can improve the "whiteness" of the stone at lower colour grades. At strong or very strong levels, some stones may exhibit some millones/haziness that is caused by the fluorescence. In other stones, those levels of fluorescence cause no negative effects.

I bought my wife a stone with medium blue fluorescence in Dec 2016 from Brian Gavin Diamonds. It's graded a K colour but in daylight it faces up whiter than that (more like an I in my estimation).

For these two stones from BN (and I am more partial to the 1.07), to my eyes in that diffused lighting setting that they are videoed in, the fluorescence doesn't look like it is having a negative effect on it.

Another side benefit of fluorescence, stones with fluorescence usually are cheaper than comparable stones of the same carat weight and colour and clarity grading. The choice is yours as to whether you are comfortably buying such a stone.

KevinNanda

Rough_Rock
Trade
H
First up, I am a fluorescence lover. The other diamonds at BN that I looked at did not exhibit the same type of optical symmetry that these two did. And it just so happened that they had strong blue fluorescence.

Fluorescence doesn't "make" a diamond blue for most colour grades. Though one has to be a bit careful when you get up to say D-E coloured stones as it may sometimes cause the stone to exhibit a blue-ish tinge in lighting situations where there is strong UV light. I personally like that effect. Others may not. In other cases, having varying levels of blue fluorescence can improve the "whiteness" of the stone at lower colour grades. At strong or very strong levels, some stones may exhibit some millones/haziness that is caused by the fluorescence. In other stones, those levels of fluorescence cause no negative effects.

I bought my wife a stone with medium blue fluorescence in Dec 2016 from Brian Gavin Diamonds. It's graded a K colour but in daylight it faces up whiter than that (more like an I in my estimation).

For these two stones from BN (and I am more partial to the 1.07), to my eyes in that diffused lighting setting that they are videoed in, the fluorescence doesn't look like it is having a negative effect on it.

Another side benefit of fluorescence, stones with fluorescence usually are cheaper than comparable stones of the same carat weight and colour and clarity grading. The choice is yours as to whether you are comfortably buying such a stone.
hi bmfang, thanks for the response again.

For fluorescence, how do I know if it is going to have negative or positive effect?

I think i will go for G with VS1 or VS2 now as it is still reasonable for my range. I did ask bluenile about aset imagery or idealscope and they said they cant. Thus how do I know if a diamond is good or bad? Can I post it here to get more recommendation?

Cheers

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
H

For fluorescence, how do I know if it is going to have negative or positive effect?

I think i will go for G with VS1 or VS2 now as it is still reasonable for my range. I did ask bluenile about aset imagery or idealscope and they said they cant. Thus how do I know if a diamond is good or bad? Can I post it here to get more recommendation?

Cheers

The vast majority of stones with fluorescence there is either a positive or negligible effect on them. Only way to check for negative effects is to inspect them (in person preferably, but failing that, virtually which is what we do via imagery).

If you find other stones, please post links on here and the PS community can help you out with scrutinising the stones for you and commenting.

salcas

Rough_Rock
H

Cheers

Get the stone on JamesAllen. You'll receive the Pricescope discount (around 4%) plus another 1.5% if you do a wire transfer. For a round brilliant, apply the following filters:

Color: G
Clarity: VS2-VS1
Depth: 61-62.5
Table: 55-57
GIA Triple Ex (cut, polish & symmetry)
No fluorescence

Then from there, find a nice looking stone and then see what it scores on the HCA scale. If under 2, then ask JamesAllen for the idealscope image. If all looks good, I would consider buying that stone.

This is what I did and ended up finding something within my budget that I'm very happy with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results