shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW ‘Ohana’ means family - the upgrade I didn’t know I wanted

missyc

Rough_Rock
So, a bit of backstory:
My grandma and mum are big jewellery collectors and they have amassed a sizeable collection despite their financial situations (think war and immigration). My grandma passed away not long after I was born, and her estate was split among her five children.

Fast forward to 2018 where my now DH proposed to me after being together for 8 years. I had been gifted a ring by my mum in my early twenties. The center stone was from a pair of earrings that my grandma owned (the other stone was given to my Aunty). I am very big on family and wanted something meaningful, so I proposed that we use that ring as an ER. I’m not sure of the specs, but the dimensions point to 0.5ct MRB.

6D682C4D-FDCD-4DCE-AF83-54DAC6406F13.jpeg

It is very tall! I was very protective of it and strictly wore it only when I left the house. It came off as soon as I came home.

0D65CADF-C4CA-491F-970C-C597B5637F23.jpeg

Now, I love my jewellery and I was sad that I couldn’t wear it 24/7. Mum keeps her jewellery in a safety deposit box with the bank, and sometimes we would go down and admire all the beauties. Mum often showed me this one ring and how lucky she was to have inherited it from grandma. Let’s just say, she drew the long straw!

I told mum about my frustrations of not being able to wear my ER all the time due to the height and she graciously offered me the special ring to reset! I was so shocked and felt a bit guilty because she loved the ring very much.

But, without further ado, I present Ohana!

68B006F2-4E00-4344-B63E-17F38AF8BD02.jpeg

1A14EB4C-4439-46EB-944B-139F0DAF4F06.jpeg

F019745C-FC9A-4B63-B66C-960CA94CBD9D.jpeg

She is a .93ct bezel-set MRB G/VVS2 with 10x0.05ct G/VS channel-set princess cut diamonds :kiss2:

She feels like butter and is sooo comfortable to wear. I only take her off to sleep because my fingers swell.

Thanks for letting me share!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is "no ka 'oi" (the best!):kiss2:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Love the channel set diamonds on the side! Looks so comfy and how special. Who did the setting?
Congrats!

missyc

Rough_Rock
Love the channel set diamonds on the side! Looks so comfy and how special. Who did the setting?
Congrats!

A local jeweller did the setting. I’m based in Australia, so I don’t have easy access to all the famous ones in the US!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your story & I love your ring! How amazing of your mum to gift you the diamond - what a lucky lady you are!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful story with a beautiful outcome! The ring looks so comfortable to wear - enjoy!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I saw your post in the less than 1ct thread! I love the style with the sleek bezel and the beautiful story! Thank you for sharing :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweet story and lovely ring that looks perfect for everyday wear! I wish my Grandmother had been into jewelry. Unfortunately, she
only wore a platinum wedding band and I'm not sure who ended up with it.:cry2:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ohh what a special ring! Wear her in much health and happiness!

missyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Sweet story and lovely ring that looks perfect for everyday wear! I wish my Grandmother had been into jewelry. Unfortunately, she
only wore a platinum wedding band and I'm not sure who ended up with it.:cry2:

Aw that’s a shame! But now you can leave pieces for your family

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Pretty! Looks comfortable and solid in a good way.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely story about your e-ring, you have a wonderful family! The setting is great, too, very pretty but secure and wearable :) What's the point of jewelry you are afraid to wear?

missyc

Rough_Rock
Lovely story about your e-ring, you have a wonderful family! The setting is great, too, very pretty but secure and wearable :) What's the point of jewelry you are afraid to wear?

That was my exact thought! I do love my original ER but it pains me that I can’t wear it 24/7 and be ‘rough’ with it

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Two beautiful rings with an equally lovely family story. :kiss2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous! A beautiful story too! Why can you not have the first ring lowered to have two choices?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous! A beautiful story too! Why can you not have the first ring lowered to have two choices?

I think this is a great idea. I don't think it would be much $$ and a good bench can use the existing prongs, and lower the center (I think about 40% lower). That way you can have 2 beautiful rings with different styles to choose from.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful and will bring a smile every you look at it! Congrats!

missyc

Rough_Rock

I think this is a great idea. I don't think it would be much $$ and a good bench can use the existing prongs, and lower the center (I think about 40% lower). That way you can have 2 beautiful rings with different styles to choose from.

I had thought about that but I really want to keep it in its original state. I guess I’m too sentimental about it. Perhaps one day I will pass it on to my future child and they can do what they want to it! :cool2:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Beautiful! Congrats!!

Love repurposing and so much sentiment in it!!!

gerbera222

Rough_Rock
I audibly gasped when I saw her! Just stunning! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results