shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with ASET and GIAXXX specs

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No meaningful leakage and they are where they are expected.
I forget the approximate number but it's like 1 or 2%, not significant.
Also remember that ASET has very low virtual facet resolution.
The large areas of red are actually made up of 100s to 1000s of virtual facets.
Only a few of those thousands actually leaking can lighten the red.
Anyway,,,,,
The pattern varies by the crown, pavilion, table, and lower combination.
No front lighting, back lighting only.
_38946.jpg backlightdcdefaultideal.jpg

It's painfully obvious I need better software analytical tools. :cry2:

Thank you!

Evian

Rough_Rock
I have to give credit where it’s due. The jeweler I’m working with through the concierge service found this stone and he did a fantastic job considering my tight parameters.
What concierge service is this. I want to find a super ideal out there as well, but not through a preferred vendor. It seems much more fun!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
What concierge service is this. I want to find a super ideal out there as well, but not through a preferred vendor. It seems much more fun!
Try rarecarats.com - one of the very few search engines that allows you to specify the crown, pavilion, etc amongst inventories of many vendors. I found it wasn't exhaustive but it does help you narrow down with the desired parameters.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
When evaluating ASET, be sure to visit some sites that explains how to interpret it.
ASET-image-reference-chart.jpg

https://yourdiamondteacher.com/diamond-4cs/cut/aset-images-evaluation/

Additional examples here.
https://beyond4cs.com/grading/aset-reference-charts/

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I use fancy VBA code in excel (code that creates and writes modules) and have used Google scripts to automate functions in Google sheets as well

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
@blueMA, what are your parameters out of curiosity?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I use fancy VBA code in excel (code that creates and writes modules) and have used Google scripts to automate functions in Google sheets as well
Yes, Excel is very powerful. Had to learn all the damn functions during my M.S.
Agree it's probably a better way to import all the data and delete line items, but I had a method to my madness and was super choosy so that wouldn't have worked in my case.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
btw, very tricky, because a bit over 41 is a tipping point for many bad combos. Saw Lots of obstructions and clustering in most of the stones.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock

Jonathan “Rhino” of August Vintage, Inc. He did an amazing job sourcing this diamond and it was the first one he brought in.

Evian

Rough_Rock
Definitely above average, but not excellent. You'll never see ASET such as that offered by ACA, CBI, nor BG in their super ideal line.
There has to be other quality cutters out there.

I thought hearing there are 400 cutters who can cut to those standards.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
Definitely above average, but not excellent. You'll never see ASET such as that offered by ACA, CBI, nor BG in their super ideal line.

Looks very similar to mine. What’s the difference?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Jonathan “Rhino” of August Vintage, Inc. He did an amazing job sourcing this diamond and it was the first one he brought in.
Well everyone knows rhino knows his diamonds. You’re in good hands.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, if @Karl_K gives it a 100% go, so you seem in the clear. I'm super picky and personally avoid clustering or proportions outside the sweet spots, but that's my personal preference.
By clustering are you referring to the paddles on the arrow image around the arrow heads?
That is normal for this combination and in this case a good sign it probably does not have any over shallow pavilion facets.(not always possible to tell depending on combination using this method).
Its not a factor in the ASET which is a 8 inch one eyed viewing distance and just slightly in the arrow image which is about a 2-3 inch one eye viewing distance equivalent.

There is a lot of beauty and life outside of the h&a modern tolk range.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
064E6F84-5AE1-4691-9E01-7616E3A8FC63.jpeg

ASET of a CBI diamond

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That's because most vendors don't over-saturate their ASET images like the SuperIdeal vendors. ;)2

@Athena10X, as @Karl_K said, there is no leakage in the diamond you selected. Or very, very minimal leakage. If the perimeter of the table is not lighter in saturation than the center in ASET or IdealScope images, then the leakage is 1-2% MAX. This has been explained numerous times on here by industry experts, including @Garry H (Cut Nut), the inventor of the IdealScope.

I've seen plenty of diamonds in the WF line that would exhibit more "leakage" if the images of said diamonds had been taken with white back-lighting.

If you stick around longer, you'll find that any non-SuperIdeal diamond posted on here, no matter how perfect the reflector scope images may be, will be met with the response "Well, it's good. But not SUPERIDEAL good."

...Welcome to PriceScope. ;)2

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There has to be other quality cutters out there.

I thought hearing there are 400 cutters who can cut to those standards.

I don't know about 400. I've never heard of any concrete numbers. But yes, there are a multitude of cutters who can cut a diamond with ideal proportions and perfect symmetry. Honestly, any skilled cutter can do it. It just takes more time to cut a diamond to exacting standards, and there is usually more loss of rough, so most cutters will usually not take the time to do so when the target market for their cut stones is general diamond retailers. In such cases, cutting within the rather broad confines of the GIA excellent grade is perfectly acceptable.

But it's not like there is some sort of trade secret to cutting a SuperIdeal diamond, tucked away in the secret vaults of the SuperIdeal vendors only to be shared with their select guild of cutters, who must take an oath of secrecy prior to learning the craft with failure to comply resulting in death. :mrgreen: Actually, WF, BGD, and VC all source their diamonds from multiple cutting houses. CBI is the only branded SuperIdeal diamond where all of the cut stones originate from a single cutting house.

There are plenty of well cut diamonds that make their way out onto the open market. You just need to be slightly more diligent in your search to find one. You can obviously ask for help here on PS and the regular posters can help to identify a nice diamond for you. Alternatively, you can use this new concierge service that Rhino has set up. I'm excited to see him getting back into the game of sourcing MRBs. His sourcing and selection of GIA-graded MRBs was superb while he was at Good Old Gold, and I was a saddened to see him leave to focus on old cuts at August Vintage (although happy for him that he started his own business). Happy to hear he'll be sourcing both old cuts and new cuts now. :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree that there are far more that could cut them than are actualy cutting them.
Its more profitable to cut GIA steep deep or diamonds with good average numbers but wide ranging pavilions and twisted lowers.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
If you stick around longer, you'll find that any non-SuperIdeal diamond posted on here, no matter how perfect the reflector scope images may be, will be met with the response "Well, it's good. But not SUPERIDEAL good."

As much as I was hoping to find a super ideal, I guess I’ll have to compromise since the verdict is that this diamond checks off my requirements of excellent light performance and optical symmetry via hearts and arrows. I’m not one to settle for less than the best, but at the same time, asking Jonathan to source all of the diamonds on my list would diminish any cost savings, especially the cost of insured overnight shipping from overseas alone.

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
2E0EFBD0-E8D4-4CFE-B04B-6E497A3A33B8.jpeg
By clustering are you referring to the paddles on the arrow image around the arrow heads?

How about the base of the arrows, the halo around the center that appears darker than rest of table?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just as you will find the GIA supporters that kick super ideals at every turn.

Both have their place. Getting extreme precision is as important to some as D color when G is good for the majority. Or when an eye clean SI1 is sufficient but a buyer demands VS1+.

But the gloves really come off when someone are presented two choices and it has a minor amount of carat weight increase and negligible, if even discernible, visual size difference. Think 1.9x carat vs 2.0x carat. Something about those magic weights and how its acceptable to pay those premiums, many times very steep ones, for the freedom to be able to not round up.

At the end of the day, it comes down to individual preferences. And also the knowledge and the buyers ability or willingness to invest a certain amount of time to something. Not everyone believes the lowest dollar spent equals the best overall value.

LOL, thankfully PS exists so we can box it out.

Seriously, the stones you are looking at are very nice. Rhino was before my time here but his reputation is still strong. I think you are in good hands and I would lean on his advice.

I agree that there are far more that could cut them than are actualy cutting them.
Its more profitable to cut GIA steep deep or diamonds with good average numbers but wide ranging pavilions and twisted lowers.

Keywords can and do.

They can do better, but they do what is most profitable.

Regardless of the number with ability, what really matters is the number with the desire and philosophy to maximize that ability. Sadly, that number is much smaller.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
That is normal for this combination and in this case a good sign it probably does not have any over shallow pavilion facets.(not always possible to tell depending on combination using this method).
Its not a factor in the ASET which is a 8 inch one eyed viewing distance and just slightly in the arrow image which is about a 2-3 inch one eye viewing distance equivalent.

There is a lot of beauty and life outside of the h&a modern tolk range.

Yes, I've seen this in most of the diamonds that slightly fall out of sweet H&A proportions.
I understand that this many not be a glaring issue with the one eye reflector image, but I've always been able to see the accompanying patterns on real diamond photos and videos. That's why I asked for plain photos and videos of the diamond. I don't ever trust ASET 100% and give it a full pass.

Diamond obstruction:
https://niceice.com/diamond-grading-101/obstruction-light-diamonds/

I'm one of the few on the PS to to wholeheartedly agree with you @Karl_K about seeing a lot of beauty outside the H&A range. This comes with the experiencing of seeing a lot of diamonds, and after seeing some flawed super performers. I did say on my first response the diamond could be a lovely performer, and I've recently recommended another poster with a very similar proportions to purchase one against two ACAs.

However, that's not going to provide a mind comfort for someone who desires a super-ideal diamond to begin with, and if she doesn't get one, she'll always wonder if she could've or could do better. That's why I mentioned the op should purchase the stone if there's meaningful savings against super-ideals.

I don't want people to regret in the future watching the video such below, esp 1:30 ASET.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
@TreeScientist you know better from many many posts that I don't hastily recommend against flawed stones and not a blind follower of super-ideals. However, the OP wants a super ideal diamond, and when she asks for an opinion, we should do our due diligence to point out why the diamond may not fall into such so that she dose not regret such major purchase later.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not one to settle for less than the best,
Yes, since this is the case, you should go ahead and purchase one of the super-ideals, especially if you're not getting a good chunk of premium off the cost. If not, then you'll always wonder or will want to upgrade soon - I've seen this too many times on PS to recommend otherwise.

Why? Because a little difference in angle proportions does matter and many do see major performance differences. You see this even amongst tightly cut H&A brand stones.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, since this is the case, you should go ahead and purchase one of the super-ideals, especially if you're not getting a good chunk of premium off the cost. If not, then you'll always wonder or will want to upgrade soon - I've seen this too many times on PS to recommend otherwise.

Why? Because a little difference in angle proportions does matter and many do see major performance differences. You see this even amongst tightly cut H&A brand stones.
I think OP is heart set on a stone with medium fluorescence... hence looking outside superideal venders.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I think OP is heart set on a stone with medium fluorescence... hence looking outside superideal venders.
If that's the case, then I wholeheartedly recommend Brian Gavin Blues. Super-ideals with beautiful florescence but with translucency/haze issue weeded out.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I checked the BGB online inventory and see nothing below 1 ct right now.
However, I'd double check and give them a call and see if they have stones that have yet to get listed online.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results