carat
color
clarity

Fragrance of the Day Thread

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Arcadian--Avon Hawaiian White Ginger all the way! Thanks for the smellories!

cheers--Sharon

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I have some past fragrances in common with many of you. Currently, I'm having difficulty finding a scent that I want to make My Scent. I've been known by my fragrances in the past. Signature scents I have claimed are bolded.

Jr High was Windsong (It began as a Christmas gift).
HS was Charlie (I loved this stuff, AND there was makeup one Christmas).
After HS I experimented with Chanel No. 5, and Jovan Musk.
Early 20s were my Candid years (sister sold Avon).
Late 20s to early 30s was my Raffine by Houbigant period.
And some Obsession for awhile, followed by Chloe.
Early 30s were Realties by Liz Claiborne.
And some L'Air du Temps
And some Paloma Picasso, which gave me headaches. As did Fendi.
And Safari, which was too sweet.
Mid 30s, I was known for my Beautiful scent. Now that had staying power!
Dabbled in Alfred Sung's various scents. Nothing really stuck.
In my 40s, it was Pure White Linen. I was frequently asked what I was wearing.

Nothing smells like it once did. Someone told me it is because so many perfumes are being made with synthetic aromas these days rather than the plants/flowers they were created from originally. I know Chloe is not at all the same, nor is Pure White Linen (when you can find it). Realities was discontinued once upon a time, and the reissued scent doesn't seem quite right.

I did have a bottle of La Fleur Bleue by Tory Burch I liked. I can get it online, but no one carries it locally anymore. But it is a scent more suited to warm weather.

I need to find something warm and slightly spicy, without heaviness. The clean scents don't have the . . . je ne sais quoi . . . I'm searching for. For now, Gucci Bamboo is my usual go-to. But it just isn't quite what I'm looking for. I have some Eternity Now (okay), and Walk on Air (pleasant), and Woman by RLauren (meh), and Acqua di Gio (hmmm) as backups. But where the heck is my new Signature Scent? I'm getting a bit frustrated with the choices available offline in the stores. Everything seems so very "So what?" to me. :wall:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, do the sample thing Holly. That's what I've done, and OMG. What a rabbit hole to go down!

I'm very new to all this but since we're of the same generation, I'm going to go out on a limb (and pretty much did myself when I got this sample) and suggest you get a sample of Ormonde Jayne Ormond Woman. Much has been written about this perfume, and on the strength of those descriptions alone, I decided to get a sample. Which was a new thing for me because I'm usually a floral girl and wouldn't know black hemlock if it bit me on the patoot.

That said, all the verbiage is filled with ambiguity, longing, seemingly hyperbolic: work of art, challenging, emotional, gorgeous. But this stuff is all that and more. I'm about to go through my 1ml sample at record speed. It is not inexpensive ( :eek-2: ) but by far not the most expensive either. I will probably be asking for this for an anniversary present.

The other that has surprised me is Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist. Supposedly an iris "monster", it makes some people grit their teeth until the top notes go, and the rest of it settles some. I am particularly harsh and prone to dismissing perfumes on the basis of top notes I don't love, yet find I love it from the second it's applied to the drydown, which alas, doesn't cling as long as I like. But oh my, that open is to die for (in a good way). I want it too, but that one is over twice the price of Woman above.

But I could seriously see OJ Woman knocking some old loves down to second tier. It's that gorgeous.

Several very good reviews are linked to on this page. Surrendertochance is where I've been getting all my samples, but I suspect LuckyScent may be in my future.
https://surrendertochance.com/ormonde-jayne-ormonde-woman/

Sigh. I've got it BAD.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@HollyS You'd be correct that most perfumes commercially available do use aromachemicals even more, and thats mainly because of IFRA. Thats not totally a bad thing, but if you have a favorite that went through a reformulation, you will almost always notice its not the same.

Also, quiet as kept, % of real perfume to alcohol is not a set number, but a range. That can mean an EDP from one company can have less parfum oils than another. I hate that they allow this but they do this sometimes to keep the parfum ingredients list secret.

Natural perfumes (true naturals) can smell amazing but have a short lifespan. There's only a few houses that I know of that work in naturals but the lifespan of the scents are actually decent...but, they're not cheap, natural extracts and absolutes can be very pricey.

IMO a signature finds you, not the other way around. By its definition, its the one perfume that people know as yours, they smell it and think of you. It's the one you just wear the most because....its you. My personal opinion is when it finds you, it does so when you least expect it. So may as well enjoy the journey!!:appl:

I have a bout 64 signatures....LOL Sounds a bit funny but I've beent old there are perfumes that I wear that people know it belongs to me. Its probably because I'm a big perfume whore.:lol:

Another thing I want to point out is testing perfumes is essential. For us ladies, our homonal balance can change how we smell and how things smell on us! So testing a perfume becomes pretty important so its not a waste of money.

Lastly, you may well have to look a bit upmarket for better quality and longer lasting perfumes. Sucks to say it but quality of yesteryear just isn't cheap unless you're getting in the grey market.

Balenciaga Florabotanica. This is floral and has spice, I don't really consider this to be heavy and has great longevity. I don't know if it was ever on your radar, but you might want to look into it. If you hate rose, you'll hate this, but if you're open to rose, carnation, cannibus (you will NOT smell like weed...lol) its great. Think of rose with a very green and modern edge.

If you like Gucci Bamboo, then I believe you might also like Cartier's Basier Vole. They also have Basier Vole Essense, which adds vanilla. I have that one, its really lovely, very ladylike, slightly spiced because of the lily note. Pretty good longevity.

Elie Saab Le Parfum. This was created by Francis Kurkdjian who is the creator of some very high end niche scents. Jasmine, honey, orange blossom.

Aerin Lauder perfumes. These you should be able to find at any Estee Lauder counter. Last one I tried was Hibiscus Palm, which I really liked! But the line should be tried to see which one sticks out to you.

Jo Malone. These also fall under Estee Lauder (which is a parent company for a lot of perfume brands now!) Many of them aren't exactly my cuppa tea, but I like big heavy hitting stuff! Some of them aren't mind you, and some can be downright weird as discussed upthread...lol But worth looking at.

Prada Infusions. I have a bit of a softspot for Prada perfumes. Infusion d'Oeillet is really gorgeous. I have the Parfum version of this one which is actually very strong! it would be too much for most people. The Infusion however is just right, its spiced, floral, a bit powdery though. Carnation based, so you had better like that note!

Also, don't be afraid to look at the mens stuff. There's a lot of really yummy frags on that side that don't read manly man.:wink2:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh. I've got it BAD.

Welcome to the club, @ksinger ! I've been having it BAD for about 39 years now (I'm 41) and I'm blaming my genes :mrgreen:

And I LOVE OJ (don't wear it nearly enough, so rehomed it to my mom) and ISM.

Today I'm in PHI une rose de Kandahar by Andy Tauer.
It's a powdery and vanillic rose with tobacco undertones (see a pattern ?). I get fruity notes as well. All in all nice, but on my skin I get a dusky incense note in the drydown that reminds me of a traditional Christmas incense from my childhood. Add the whiffs of bitter almond (=MARZIPAN) and it's nostalgic, but nothing I want to wear before, say November 30th and after January 31st.
Rose lovers beware: it's not as rosy as the name and use of extremely rare Afghan rose oil might suggest.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to the club, @ksinger ! I've been having it BAD for about 39 years now (I'm 41) and I'm blaming my genes :mrgreen:

And I LOVE OJ (don't wear it nearly enough, so rehomed it to my mom) and ISM.

Today I'm in PHI une rose de Kandahar by Andy Tauer.
It's a powdery and vanillic rose with tobacco undertones (see a pattern ?). I get fruity notes as well. All in all nice, but on my skin I get a dusky incense note in the drydown that reminds me of a traditional Christmas incense from my childhood. Add the whiffs of bitter almond (=MARZIPAN) and it's nostalgic, but nothing I want to wear before, say November 30th and after January 31st.
Rose lovers beware: it's not as rosy as the name and use of extremely rare Afghan rose oil might suggest.

And you're a lucky duck that it works for you. I have a decant. None of his scents like me. I keep trying :cry2::(2

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today its low 70's, so Serge Lutens Chergui it is! I'm going to miss this when its gone. This is the 2007 reformulation that had folks freaking out on basenotes...lol but man it has aged so well and ooooo LUUUUVEEEET!

Sweet, spicy. the hay notes still there, adds a burst of freshness in the top notes, and the tabacco and boozy VAAAANNNIIIIILLLAAAA:love::love::love::love:
I have 1/3 bottle left.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take me up on my offer of fragrance- muling anytime, @Arcadian ...

You smell fabulous!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today its low 70's, so Serge Lutens Chergui it is! I'm going to miss this when its gone. This is the 2007 reformulation that had folks freaking out on basenotes...lol but man it has aged so well and ooooo LUUUUVEEEET!

Sweet, spicy. the hay notes still there, adds a burst of freshness in the top notes, and the tabacco and boozy VAAAANNNIIIIILLLAAAA:love::love::love::love:
I have 1/3 bottle left.

I love Serge Lutens Chergui too. Sweet and spicy, tobaccoey and yes a burst of freshness too. It all works even (especially?) the hay. And you know I love sandalwood/vanilla!8)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my continuing iris theme, today I'm testing Annick Goutal Heure Exquise. And exquise it is so far. A lot of reviews paint it as similar to Chanel No 19, which I've never smelled. Or at least never that I know of. If that's so, I will probably like No. 19. Alas that such things have been dragged back from access by the unwashed masses at the department stores. :rolleyes: Grump grump grump.

So, unless I have a huge change of heart after my shower, I shall be wearing the Goutal. If I change my scented mind, I'll announce it from the rooftops because everyone needs to know, right? ;))

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
L'artisan Parfumeur Traversée du Bosphore.
Sweet and fruity (is it sipposedbro be the apple tea?) rose , a dollop of iris, tobacco and woody undertones , more vanillic and darker in the dry down.
Another comfort scent for this dreadful weather. I think I reached for this , because it is on me, what yesterday's Phi could have been, but didn't quite deliver...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ksinger just wanted to say I think luckyscent and smallflower are better for samples (if they have what you’re looking for) than surrender to chance. It’s been a while since I ordered from the latter but I remember I never got the samples as quickly as the others and I also thought their prices were a bit higher. IIRC.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today Guerlain Perfume Initial. Another I keep trying (why do I do this?) but mainly, it smells better today. I attribute it to me getting older, maybe the ol hormones are finally allowing me to wear this...lol Its shalimar without the cat pee! (I wish I knew what they used that causes this phenomenon.)

This for me strangely not sweet. Spicy, fluffy (iris), and some caramel/musk.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my continuing iris theme, today I'm testing Annick Goutal Heure Exquise. And exquise it is so far. A lot of reviews paint it as similar to Chanel No 19, which I've never smelled. Or at least never that I know of. If that's so, I will probably like No. 19. Alas that such things have been dragged back from access by the unwashed masses at the department stores. :rolleyes: Grump grump grump.

So, unless I have a huge change of heart after my shower, I shall be wearing the Goutal. If I change my scented mind, I'll announce it from the rooftops because everyone needs to know, right? ;))

LOL

Truthfully I don't find Huere Exquise anything like No 19 but might depend on what year a person has! THe year I had tried, I found it very close to Jacamo Silences Parfum (not the PDT, thats like blow your hair back strong and bitter) 2010 was the year. 2014 was the year I saw lots of people complain about chanels in general (who knows what they did that year, but it wasn't good!!)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cheap thrill friday!
Got an advent calendar with lots of body products from Rituals. Everything is heavily scented (which I knew and like in their case).
Fell in love with the Ritual of Anahata and subsequently bought the body spray: rose, rosewood, pine, spices.

I'm actually quite happy with this and impressed by the lasting power. No cat pee (looking at YOU, pine note).
Given my rather large * cough delirious cough * collection, it's a plus that I won't hesitate to use it as a room spray given the price point (15€).
Win/ win
Happy weekend!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today was Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt. Perfectly light and inoffensive in every way, but then I was going to a movie and didn't want to kill anyone.

All was boringly fine until I got home and found......(drumroll please).........

My eBay score of a still-sealed bottle of vintage 1960s-70s Chanel No 5 Eau de Cologne, had finally arrived! And that sucker was sealed. I'll give Chanel that when they sealed those bottles, they meant for them to STAY sealed. The foil was so thick and tough that I cut my finger on it during the un-sealing.

But ahhhh! Unless my nose is completely dead (it's not) it's the real deal, and I'm drifting down memory lane right now.... Nothing on any Chanel counter that I have access to - including Chanel No 5, can hold a candle to this probably 40+ year old bottle of cologne.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My eBay score of a still-sealed bottle of vintage 1960s-70s Chanel No 5 Eau de Cologne, had finally arrived! And that sucker was sealed. I'll give Chanel that when they sealed those bottles, they meant for them to STAY sealed. The foil was so thick and tough that I cut my finger on it during the un-sealing.

But ahhhh! Unless my nose is completely dead (it's not) it's the real deal, and I'm drifting down memory lane right now.... Nothing on any Chanel counter that I have access to - including Chanel No 5, can hold a candle to this probably 40+ year old bottle of cologne.

Sweet score.:appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I pulled out my decant of Mugler's Womanty. Amazing what you forget you have sometimes!!:eek2:. This is one of the few sinces I can wear under this brand (Sorry angel lovers but BLAH... I do not like angel!)

Womanity is actually sweet, more sweet than I remembered! I tend to be more of the creamy, woody fig in the vein of Diptyques Philosykos; woody, creamy, little sweet (should always identify as fig right?) Womanty is a juxtaposition of notes; and that fig dosen't alwasy identify to me as fig. Sweet but salty. Woody but sweet. Floral, but kinda not so fresh... I swear there's jasmine in this.

I'm thinking time of year also matters. Maybe a drier day it would have beheaved well... but today, its humid. It smells a lot more like Alien with Fig. I can admit that Alien and I aren't really friends either, but hey, respect.

In all, I find most muglers to be a challenge. That might be why I never sprung for a full bottle.:geek2:

It won't be very one's favorite perfume, but it sure as hell ain't boring.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Floral, but kinda not so fresh..

Haha, this very nicely sums this little scrubber up for me!
It got a lot talk comparing the smell to caviar .. well, while I guess they wanted to refer to the saltiness, I think it apt in the sense that I REALLY DON'T want to smell like caviar. Even if I like to eat it.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fragrance of the day is Parfums de Nicolaï Weekend in Normandy.
Herbal (mint + basil )floral with an aquatic sea salty note.
It's supposed to be lily of the valley (my favourite flower), but the smell is extremely faint.
TBH, I bought the bottle for the name only (Dh is from Normandy).
On him, this is more cologne -y FRESH . On me, the flowers are more pronounced.
It feels "cool" and rainy, like the actual summer in Deauville, so there are bonus points for this.
Not the right perfume for today's rainy day though.

Just realised I'm also wearing a perfume with a salty note, @Arcadian :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning ladies!

@kipari, @Arcadian, I enjoy salty notes in perfume. They remind me of the ocean. However I wouldn't care to smell like caviar no no. I agree it depends on weather and humidity and time of year when wearing certain (most?) fragrances. Generally I wear my heavier perfumes in the colder drier weather and my lighter perfumes in the warmer weather.

Speaking of salty has anyone tried Shay and Blue Salt Caramel? I think I have a sample somewhere and want to try it. The salt note (and tonka and sandalwood) appealed to me.

Plus I am sort of a sucker for anything with the word Blue in it. :sun:Speaking of Blue I also am fond of Blue Santal by Comme de Garcons. It's described as sandalwood under water and that got me. However it is also described as fresh but not fresh. Cool yet warm. (Hey I could write descriptions like that. Clear yet blurry. Smart yet not. Neat yet sloppy. Right yet wrong. Haha you get the picture.:P2)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally I wear my heavier perfumes in the colder drier weather and my lighter perfumes in the warmer weather.

Yes, I'm the same... unless I have one of my anticyclical days and I try ti fight off horrible weather with a cheerful summer favourite. Works most times.Sometimes.. not so much

Speaking of salty has anyone tried Shay and Blue Salt Caramel? I think I have a sample somewhere and want to try it. The salt note (and
Please report back.. love salt caramel irl
:lickout:
Hey I could write descriptions like that. Clear yet blurry. Smart yet not. Neat yet sloppy. Right yet wrong. Haha you get the picture.:P2)

Don't you just hate it, when they do this..:roll
Why not give the customerat least a minimum of valuable information ?
And no , I don't think you'd be writing a description like this [unless you wanted to] you're always so eloquent!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In weekend in Normandy again.
Scent turned out to be a chameleon on me. Got very floral in the end of the day... needed to revisit.
Today I m picking up a much stronger Lily of the Valley note... interesting

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is a day for Guerlain Le Parfum du 68, which despite all the notes the ones I get most are citrus...lol I do get herbal but it comes later in the day. The edp version has immortel which, can be a bit dank on some days, but today is cool and dry and it just works.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm not feeling particularly adventurous. I'm driving my husband to a post-op for cataract surgery on the first eye, so I'll be in waiting rooms and such. I try to not kill medical folks and sick people, but I still want to wear something.

So I've decided a few discreet dabs of a well-stored 1995 vintage Tresor, that I also found on evilBay, should do the trick. Hopefully it will stay close. I have a much more recent bottle of the perfume from maybe 10 years later? And side by side they don't smell all that different, but intensity and longevity is pretty different, with the older one with more heft and hanging on much longer. Why am I not surprised at that?

Oh well, Tresor is my comfort food of the perfume world. Pretty, still holds my heart after all these years, and is like a comfy sweater.

I'll get back in the adventurous saddle again soon, I promise.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing Mona di Orio Tubereuse. I'm not wearing this as much because its about to run out. Yes I know, its kinda sad!! But they went from 100ml to 75ml, and frankly, those 75ml bottles smell DIFFERENT!

That said, this is a tuberose for non tuberose people, a milky and green tuberose with spices. Not huge, in your face and NOT like Big ol buttery Fracas! Wears close but present for a good 7 hours usually (even in humid weather)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wearing La Danza delle Libellule by Nobile 1942 today (sample) and do not like it at all. From the notes I thought oh yes but it's an oh no for me. Reminds me of the fragrances from the 1980s/90s. And not in a good way.
Too sweet and too strong and heavy for/on me. It's too bad because on paper it seemed a gorgeous fragrance. I wanted to love it.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy isn't it surprising every single time?I'm sure I'd love/hate it from the notes and then it's the opposite ...

I'm in the sadly d/c'd violet blonde by Tom Ford. Green Violet and citrus in the opening are later joined by Iris with Jasmin and a musky woody base.

Somehow I like quite a few of his fragrances... even if I have been holding a grudge against him ever since I've read an interview where he stated that his fashion is intended for women who have not passed a certain age nor weight...
Errrmmm, if I buy a pair of 1500$pants it is YOUR job to make me look like I haven't passed a certain age/weight... money saved

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results