shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT My new JA earring jackets

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
That''s pretty cool how JA''s site allows you to "loupe" the diamonds! WOW Icy white!! These are just cool.

I''d love to see the jacket part alone if possible Phoenix :)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I just got more pics from Jim. Here they are...

Is it my imagination, or is the distance between the stud and the centre 10 pointer shorter than that btw the 10 pointer and the pear?

jackets_1.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pic 2...

jackets_2.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one...

The 10 pointer IS too close to the stud, isn't it?

In this pic, on the bottom loop, I can see a bit of metal sticking out at the back. It looks as if the loop hasn't really been polished off properly. Would this bother anyone else?

jackets_3.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pic no 4...

In this pic, I can see that the two loops do not sit at a 90 degree angle to each other but a bit lop-sided. The bottom one is a bit skewed to the right. Am I being too picky?

DSCN0529[1].jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more...

jackets_5.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one...

jackets_6.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one...

In this one, the jacket still doesn''t sit straight/ in line with the stud.

Am I driving myself a little crazy over nothing?

jackets_8.JPG

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
With picture #4, it looks like the loop "O" that's attached to the pear might be a bit bent, and that's why it's not sitting as straight as you'd like? I guess if it were me, if the jacket had a lot of swing motion, it wouldn't bother me, but I do see what you mean.

Are they with you or still with JA?

I still LOVE the jacket!
36.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2008 10:23:33 PM
Author: Snooper
With picture #4, it looks like the loop ''O'' that''s attached to the pear might be a bit bent, and that''s why it''s not sitting as straight as you''d like? I guess if it were me, if the jacket had a lot of swing motion, it wouldn''t bother me, but I do see what you mean.

Are they with you or still with JA?

I still LOVE the jacket!
36.gif
Snooper, I typed out my reply to you and tried to submit it but it was gone!!
7.gif

Anyway, thanks for your reply. It IS bent, isn''t it? I think it would bother me.

They''re still with Jim. I will ask him to fix it for me.

Thanks for your vote!
1.gif

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
No problem! In picture no. 4, it looks like the loop on the pear is tilting to the left. Better to have them fixed now, then down the road :) I still love them though!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, get them right, or it will bug you. Would me too.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again, Snooper, and thank you, Ellen.

Phew! I am glad to know that I am not the only one thinking that it is a bit "off".

I will definitely get back to Jim to ask him to fix them. I do feel a bit guilty though cos it is not a huge purchase and Jim is after all the president of JA. I feel like I am expecting him to spend too much time working on my little purchase.
4.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some update:

Jim wrote to me last Thursday to tell me because of all the changes (eg. making the loops smaller, less lop-sided, polishing out the bit of metal that stuck out at the back, making the wiring at the top a bit longer so that the 10 pointer does not sit too close to the stud), the halos as a result of the polishing and repolishing after the changes have become so thin that the diamonds have started to fall out!
4.gif
8.gif
. So he's having Danhov remake the whole jackets from scratch. Jim reckons it will take a couple of days to redo this.

I'm extremely disappointed. I wish 1) I'd just bought the pears from JA and had them set locally or 2) I'd not been so fussy about the imperfections. I pointed out right from the beginning I wanted them to be as similar to the LM (see below) as possible, with some minor modifications to suit my own taste, but I should have realised that because it is not LM, I can't expect the same quality, BUT then again the setting is not exactly cheap:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=427

The whole thing has taken almost 2 months (I started the proces in the first week of Feb) and I am getting a bit fed up. I've now asked Jim to either get the resetting done in one week (I think 2 days as he said is unrealistic given how long it's already taken) or just send me the pear shaped stones (together with the two 10 pointers) and refund me the cost of the setting (inclusive of the melee). I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I realise that the resetting must be costing JA quite a bit, but I don't think it's my fault, is it? After all, I was quite clear in my instructions, both verbally and by emails and not at one time did Jim say "no, Danhov can't do that" or "no, we can't be responsible for QC because it's a different party - I assume from the emails that Danhov is a 3rd party that JA subcontracts to).

Anyone has any thoughts? Wanna share any ideas? I have to say that Jim has been very good in keeping me posted of what's going on, but I wish I had the jackets in my hands right now.
7.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely think you did the right thing by asking them to fix them. The part that attaches to the stud needed to be a little longer so that the 10 point stone wouldn''t be right up against the larger round stud. I''m not sure I understand why anything that you asked them to do would have any effect on the little diamonds falling out. I might be a little worried about that from a maintenance standpoint.

Just curious, did you get a quote from Leon for those earrings?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2008 12:45:24 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I absolutely think you did the right thing by asking them to fix them. The part that attaches to the stud needed to be a little longer so that the 10 point stone wouldn't be right up against the larger round stud. I'm not sure I understand why anything that you asked them to do would have any effect on the little diamonds falling out. I might be a little worried about that from a maintenance standpoint.

Thank you, DS. I was starting to think I'd been too fusssy. I must say that was my first reaction too, but apparently the changes resulted in scratches in the metal so the metal had to be repolished and repolished and so it got very thin (it was thin to start off with because I'd specified as little metal showing as possible) that I guess it wasn't able to hold the diamonds any more. That was Jim's explanation but I don't really understand how it works.

I forget if I got a quote from Leonn or not. I think I didn't. That was truly a mistake on my part. I did however get some quotes from Leon for a few other things and thought they were on the high side. I realise that you pay his higher price (though admittedly not that high, considering the quality of his work), for quality. I wanted to keep the overall cost down, as these were not supposed to be a high-end project. Oh well...

To be honest, now I just want to get the stones from JA as soon as possible, if it is possible to get a refund from Jim for the setting. I can get them set locally in less than 2 weeks. I'm done waiting and done with this emailing thing back and forth.

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I didn''t realize they were Danhov settings! I missed that.

Sorry it''s been a tiring time... But I do think it was wise to speak up now than later. If you were specific in what you wanted, and if told it could be done, don''t be sorry. Diamond vibes coming your way.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I absolutely think you did the right thing by asking them to fix them. The part that attaches to the stud needed to be a little longer so that the 10 point stone wouldn''t be right up against the larger round stud. I''m not sure I understand why anything that you asked them to do would have any effect on the little diamonds falling out. I might be a little worried about that from a maintenance standpoint.

I agree. They weren''t right to begin with, through no fault of your own.

But I''m sorry you are having to go through all this, and that it''s taking much longer that it should have. I sympathize.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2008 1:36:50 AM
Author: Snooper
Oh I didn''t realize they were Danhov settings! I missed that.

Sorry it''s been a tiring time... But I do think it was wise to speak up now than later. If you were specific in what you wanted, and if told it could be done, don''t be sorry. Diamond vibes coming your way.
Thank you, Snooper, for your kind wishes.

Do you know anything about Danhov settings? I hadn''t mentioned this in any of my previous threads, perhaps I should have.

I do believe I was quite specific in my requests. In any case, Jim had never said that my instructions or requests were unclear. I do feel bad for him for running up the costs (but that''s the contract between JA and Danhov). At the end of the day, JA and I have a contract and as is in any other contract, I expect the terms to be fulfilled. What I failed to do was to specify a timeframe (I just hadn''t expected all the problems or the length of time the whole process would take - granted I did go away for a couple of times for about 4-5 days each time but all in all, it has been a long time and I did email him whilst I was on one of those trips), which I now have for 1) either the new setting or 2) a refund of the cost of the setting and the receipt of just the stones.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2008 9:44:27 AM
Author: Ellen

I agree. They weren''t right to begin with, through no fault of your own.

But I''m sorry you are having to go through all this, and that it''s taking much longer that it should have. I sympathize.
Thank you, Ellen, for your kind words and sympathy.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lien, I have to chime in and say you should have them how you want them. I don''t think you are being fussy; I hope everything works out and I will keep my fingers crossed for you, sweetie!

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
yummy!
emsmilep.gif
they''re beautiful!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
They are so beautiful!

They should be the way you want them. I see how they drift to the right, and how the ring is not round and perfectly polished as it should be. You''re not being fussy. They should be the way you want them. I hope everything works out okay, and I can''t wait to see them all perfect for you!

I adore them!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow they are beautiful! I want a pair like that!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Very juicy :) YUMMMY :D

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Phoenix, no I don''t know anything about Danhov other than I have always been impressed with their settings from what I''ve seen here.

Waiting for something to get fixed only having to wait longer is stressful
7.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Skippy (you''re a sweetheart
1.gif
), Luckynumber7, Coatimundi, Legacygirl, Deelight and Snooper for your replies. They are beautiful but those issues were quite clear, weren''t they?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I''ve received new pictures from Jim. Apparently, these were taken by Danhov.

I think they''ve been made small on purpose so I can''t really see the faults!
3.gif
. I can however see that the loops are still a little too big (I''d specified small loops). Oh well, I think I''m just going to let that go.

I think Jim is not planning on taking my any more pics for me. He''s asked that I reserve my judgement untill I see them in person. You know what? As apprehensive as I am, I''m just going to go with that, it''s been faarrrr toooo looong!! There''s always the return policy.

JA jackets_danhov.JPG

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
They look beautiful! Maybe you will fall in love with them when they arrive. Like you said, there is always a return policy and you should not feel guilty using it.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Phoenix - I think they''re absolutely beautiful. So much so, I couldn''t even notice the details you pointed out in your post because my eyes were too fixated on enjoying the gorgeous photos. I hope they come back to you as you intended them to be, but I think they are totally lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results