shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Big Risk Big Reward: My Gorgeous 9 mm OEC

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I usually don't post about my purchases until the final piece is done but I am so excited that I have to share this one. Plus, it would be mean to withhold much longer given all the spoilers. Some of you have been following my search for the perfect OEC over the past year and not being able to find the right one. Well, the right one is finally here and it was worth the pain, risk and hours of searching - the satisfaction and love for a diamond ... I didn't think it was possible but now I understand.

I was bitten by the OEC bug and snagged my first 1.7ct back in 2011 which I adored and still adore (see here) followed by a 1.65ct transitional cut and a few other 1ct OECs for a special project. It wasn’t long before I had the urge for an uber OEC to ultimately use as an e-ring upgrade. I had a long list of requirements that was hard to meet and sometimes I thought it was impossible.

My Hit List
Cut: Well cut OEC with a small flower center and minimal obstruction
Carat: > 2.5ct
Color: As white as possible (no lower than GIA J)
Clarity: Eye and Mind Clean (VS + for me)
Table: Tiny table under 50%
Price: Dirt Cheap … as little as possible

I searched all over the internet, on eBay, in Chicago and in NYC, had vendors looked … but no one had what I wanted in terms of specs (and that was not even considering price). Fast forward to November 2012, I came close and picked up another old cut from eBay which was a 2.1 ct EGL I transitional cut (I know many PSers have seen this auction). It was a good price and beautiful stone but not for me – too much obstruction for my liking and there was a teensy bit too much color as an e-ring replacement. After much debate, I ended up returning the ring to the seller and it is now in another happy home.

Dreamer_D and ForteKitty put up with all my whining for a long time trying to find the diamond and debating a number of purchases. Around the holidays, Dreamer found a potential stone off eBay that had bad photos but we saw potential and all the specs sounded about right. The seller was incredibly difficult to deal with – no proper pictures, didn’t answer questions, had to talk on the phone, only available in the middle of the night, will only accept cash, had to deal in person at his local bank, will not send to my appraiser on my dime, needed a notary to sign estate papers … the list continued onto outright strange things like calling me at strange hours and refusing to hang up, telling me odd private stories. I think most people would have given up after week one but I somehow put up with it for two months because I just couldn’t get my mind off that diamond and setting.

Anyways, long story short – I almost walked away from the deal on multiple occasions (including on the day of the transaction after I flew to meet him) … but I didn’t give up and made it through scoring this amazing diamond (and ring) which is everything I wanted. I am so glad I didn’t give up!

The Specs According to Me
Cut: Amazingly well cut for an old stone with next to no obstruction <- CHECK
Size: 9 mm – guessing around 2.6 to 2.7 ct <- CHECK
Color: Thinking it is a GIA H/I based on comparison to my other stones <- CHECK
Clarity: Unable to find inclusions with a 60x microscope (I know there must be some) <- CHECK
Table: Probably low to mid 40s <- CHECK
Price: Very happy with price and was already offered more than double by a pawn shop <- CHECK

The diamond is everything I wanted and I am even more appreciative of it because of how rare such a diamond is. The bonus is that the platinum setting is gorgeous and in perfect condition … a style that is pretty timeless. The downside is that it is a size 8 which is way too big for me.

charmyoec25.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Taking the center stage
charmyoec01.jpg

Who would have thought my AVC would be so dwarfed?
charmyoec-compare04.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky: :love: :cheeky:
This is the BEST type of thread to come home from work and see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ye Gods, I don't think I have EVER been so stunned by a diamond in my life !!!!

GORGEOUS......
i HAVE no more words...

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Charmy, congrats congrats and congrats!!! I can't believe you dealt with a seller that strange... what a precious stone this is for you!

SCrane

Rough_Rock
That is a stunning diamond. I'm not sure I could have followed through with the transaction. The seller sounds very odd and a little creepy. Enjoy that ring!!

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love: :love: Absolutely stunning! I am so happy for you. Will you be able to resize it?

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
WOWZA, what a story and journey!

DOUBLE WOWZA for such a beautiful stone and setting! :love:

Bravo on your find, you seem so happy and for that alone I'm happy for you :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh!!!! :o I officially hate you!!! (JUST KIDDING....but I am envious, I have to admit!!!) What a crazy story!!!

That is absolutely gorgeous! A rare near colorless and well cut OEC! :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy, I'm so happy you finally found your dream OEC!!! It is gorgeous!! :love:

And the journey you endured makes it that more special IMO. That seller certainly sounds very creepy LOL and I am glad you rescued the ring from him! :appl:

I cannot wait for more pics and to see what you finally decide on re setting! So happy for you!! :appl:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Charmy,

That is beautiful, both the diamond and the setting. BTW, size 8 fits me PERFECTLY :bigsmile:.

You certainly earned this baby!

liz

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1361233297|3383662 said:
Oh my gosh!!!! :o I officially hate you!!! (JUST KIDDING....but I am envious, I have to admit!!!) What a crazy story!!!

That is absolutely gorgeous! A rare near colorless and well cut OEC! :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Heck, I am even envious of myself. If you knew the price I paid, you will even be more ... ok I am bragging now but that's what this board is for. For rb, this is a dime a dozen but for an oec .... so rare and hard to find in this color, size and cut. I was fully expecting it to be more yellow since the photos from the seller was more yellow ... even our experts here (fortekitty and Dreamer) thought it would be warmer. I was really surprised when I saw how white it was.

The diamond is actually more beautiful in real life. It doesn't photograph well. It has incredible fire and I kept thinking it was a cz or a moissy, Fortekitty had to talk me off a mini panic attack but I had it checked today and it is a diamond (knew it wasn't a cz but was worried it was an enhanced moissy).

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks amazing--so white and crisp! Can't wait to see it's forever home! Can you indulge us w/ some handshots?!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, beautiful stone. Wild story. The finger coverage must be IMMENSE. The setting is lovely and intricate and the stone and the setting are well-suited. I really want to know the story behind the ring - how long was it previously owned? What was the original proposal like? Was it always a size 8?!!

Not only do threads like these offer amazing blingage, but hearing how you set out to find your holy grail - and then not only found it but at what sounds like it must have been an excellent price - and put up with all the twists and turns commensurate with a true adventure is just too cool! :appl: :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good Lord that is a gorgeous stone! It certainly sounds like you earned it, great price or not! The stone is TDF and the setting is amazing! Are you planning to keep the stone in the setting? I am so impressed with your tenacity and nerves of steel! You go girl!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
eeee congrats on that find!!!!! What a needle in a haystack for sure. I wanted to comment earlier but didn't want to interrupt your stream of photos ;)) Glad you had the gumption to go through with the purchase despite all the strangeness of the seller...so worth it!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's amazing Charmy! Why did the seller practically give it away?!?!

It's a real beauty for sure, congrats!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is stunning! Congrats on your fortitude - I think a lot of people would have turned and run from this seller - kinda creepy, huh?

At any rate, I think you've found a beautiful ring - the stone is so white and the setting very pretty. When it all works out, it's a beautiful thing!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
OUTSTANDING!!! What an incredible treasure hunt you've just completed!! You had the best of the best helping you and I'm so happy that you've found your holy grail (or at least I'm *assuming* it is!!) What a harrowing challenge to get thru tho - yikes, dude sounds too weird for me to have hung in there as long as you managed too!!!

Its just out of this world amazing!! And I really adore that setting - so perfect for a perfect stone! ENjoy this beauty - you really earned it!

Thanks for sharing your tale, you are FAR more adventurous than about 99% of us here (those are my stats, not DF's!! LOL!!!)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The PRICESCOPE Treasure Hunters.. STRIKE AGAIN!!! WOWZA!!!! :love: :love: Amazingballs... Charmy.... so excited for you! Can't wait to see it sized and on your hand!!! :appl:

You're a brave and patient Diamond Hunter... :appl: :appl:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Haha, if you guys only knew what she had to go through to get this beauty! Charmy's got big balls of steel, and I bow down to her. ;)) I'm so glad it worked out in the end, and it is well deserved! I'm WAY jealous!!! :mrgreen:

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
This is the most incredible stone and setting! :love: :love: :love: I'm so happy for you and glad that everything worked out. This is a one in a million treasure for sure. Please post about a bazillion more pictures.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I love about your quest for this ring, Charmy, is that back when you first started looking for an OEC in... what, fall of 2011?... you told us what specs you wanted and all of us thought you were bonkers, that you would never find a stone like you wanted without paying through the nose because of rarity. And then somehow you found it! This is one of the things I enjoy about vintage jewlery. The quest, the search, the STORY!

And I am also pleased that you know that love at first sight jewelry love too! It is a very nice feeling indeed.

Enjoy m'dear!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
ooo~Shiney! - I am still stunned too. I wish I can share what it actually looks like in real life as it is so much nicer than in the photos. This thing sparkls like mad. It also has a very symmetrical flower pattern which can't be seen in these photos.

GemFever - Thank you. He is a very strange man and the bank employees (where I was meeting him) told me all sort of stories that made me scared. With all that said, when I finally met him I do believe is a good person but just not someone we would deal with on a normal basis.

Scrane - There were creepy and scary moments for sure. My husband thought I was nuts and thought I would learn my lesson through this. It worked out well ... so I guess the lesson have to be learnt another time. HOwever, I would say that at no point in this process did I actually feel I was in danger.

NonieMarie - I am sure Steven Kirsch would be able to resize it. However, this setting is way too bling for every day wear along with the size of the center stone. My finger is under a size 3 and the diamond itself will take out most of the space.

two_little_birds, shellijay, missy, LibbyLA, Smores84 - Thank you so much for your compliments. This truly is a ring come true for me. I have been happy with my cushions, oec, tranny etc but for the people that know me ... they know I was never in love. This one is love.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
mom2boys - I would love to indulge you with handshots but the ring doesn't even fit on my thumb and it is very difficult to hold between fingers. Haha .. maybe I can get my hubby to wear it and take a photo ... but he isn't very supportive of my diamond craziness.

yennyfire - I am say to say that I am not planning to keep the stone in the setting. I will be keeping the setting safe for the future if and when I want to bring back the ring together. It has a long history and I don't want the two to be forever apart (sappy .. I know). I don't want to sell the setting because I will not have control on the hands it changes. Heck, I can't even sell basic stuff I never wear so I highly doubt this setting will be going anywhere else.

pandabee - I had everything pre-typed and was posting fast so I can have all the pics together. Hehe.

Laila - It wasn't pocket change but it was a great price for the ring. Let's just say I ended up paying around half of what the price started at. I will share the history of the ring shortly.

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on acquiring such a truly rare and beautiful old stone! I can't take my eyes off of the pictures! I hope that you are able to keep the setting that it is in - what a gorgeous setting. I personally would love that setting for my 2.60ct :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results