shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave halo split crown settings for yellow diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the oval
36.gif
. They''re both beautiful, but I think the oval is more flattering to your hand.
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, no problem.

I''m not sure how long you plan on looking, and I don''t know if all jewelers do this, but could you put some kind of deposit down on the oval to hold it?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, the oval is in the hands of a wholesaler who doesn't normally deal with the public. He actually had to call it back for me from the store where it was at on Michigan Avenue. I am hoping at the very least if I offer to pay for the thing in full with cash that he might let me take it out of his office for 24 hours so I can look at it in different lighting. But I really want to see some other stones too, so hopefully some of the other vendors that are trying to get me things this week will come through. There is also the gem show next weekend, but I don't know if I would but a stone like this at a gem show. Really, though, if it comes with good paper and I feel educated enough at that point maybe I would. What's the real difference between doing that and buying it from someone on Jeweler's Row, or on the internet, for that matter, as long as I have confidence in the info and there is some sort of provision for being able to return it if the independent appraisal doesn't pan out.

BTW, another vendor called me this afternoon to go and look at an oval he had. It was GRIM. If you think a miserable bow tie looks bad on a white diamond you should see one on a yellow. YUCK!!! When I made it clear I wasn't interested in the oval he trotted out a round very brown stone and tried to convince me to buy that becuase "I would never see one like it on any one else's hand." Yah, no kidding.

I really wish you were here THIS WEEK so you could go with me and offer an opinions on these stones!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure which shape I like better on you, but I definitely like the color better on the radiant than the oval from the pictures. The greenish tint in the oval is not so pretty in my opinion. When I think of light yellow, I like the pleasing colors that are close in appearance to a lemon peel. Forgive me for being honest here.

Both looked great on your hand. The radiant looks bigger, but the oval shape is very fluid and graceful. Both really look lovely and BIG!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 7:16:30 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Ellen, the oval is in the hands of a wholesaler who doesn''t normally deal with the public. He actually had to call it back for me from the store where it was at on Michigan Avenue. I am hoping at the very least if I offer to pay for the thing in full with cash that he might let me take it out of his office for 24 hours so I can look at it in different lighting. But I really want to see some other stones too, so hopefully some of the other vendors that are trying to get me things this week will come through. There is also the gem show next weekend, but I don''t know if I would but a stone like this at a gem show. Really, though, if it comes with good paper and I feel educated enough at that point maybe I would. What''s the real difference between doing that and buying it from someone on Jeweler''s Row, or on the internet, for that matter, as long as I have confidence in the info and there is some sort of provision for being able to return it if the independent appraisal doesn''t pan out.

BTW, another vendor called me this afternoon to go and look at an oval he had. It was GRIM. If you think a miserable bow tie looks bad on a white diamond you should see one on a yellow. YUCK!!! When I made it clear I wasn''t interested in the oval he trotted out a round very brown stone and tried to convince me to buy that becuase ''I would never see one like it on any one else''s hand.'' Yah, no kidding.

I really wish you were here THIS WEEK so you could go with me and offer an opinion!!!
lmao!!

Yeah, I wish I was too.

Hmm, well, you''ve got a point about buying this oval, as far as the right info, papers, return policy, etc. And ya know, your eyes are really the determining factor here. You do have an advantage many don''t, you get to see them!

I would just look at as many stones as you can, and especially ovals if that''s your pic, and eventually you''ll know. Just don''t rush and trust your eyes!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2007 7:23:23 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I''m not sure which shape I like better on you, but I definitely like the color better on the radiant than the oval from the pictures. The greenish tint in the oval is not so pretty in my opinion. When I think of light yellow, I like the pleasing colors that are close in appearance to a lemon peel. Forgive me for being honest here.

Both looked great on your hand. The radiant looks bigger, but the oval shape is very fluid and graceful. Both really look lovely and BIG!

kcoursolle, it''s funny you say that the radiant looks bigger--it''s actually quite a bit smaller! Radiant 8.0 mm X 6.6 mm, oval 10.28 mm X 7.62 mm. And the color on the radiant has almost an orange undertone, but I agree that in general I do like the color of the radiant *better* but I don''t not like the color of the oval. I wish the pics had been taken in a more similar environment so there was a better point of comparison.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like both of them. A lot. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Maybe the oval edges out slightly, though I was fully expecting the radiant to blow me out of the water before I saw it. They are both really beautiful stones.

Are you somewhat partial to the oval, considering that''s where you were before with your white diamond, before getting obsessed with the dead spots at the ends and switching to a round? Did you take a good long look at the oval to make sure you wouldn''t have that issue here?

They''re both gorgeous, I''d be happy with either! The oval slightly edges out the radiant for me, based on the way it looks on your hand.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FG, I think if I hadn't had a bad oval experience before I would be 100% on board with this stone right now. I'm just trying to be cautious because of what I've been through once already--and have NO INTENTION of going through again, LOL! Funny though, I can't see any dead spots or even a bow tie on this oval in person. Is that possible--an oval without a bowtie? Maybe the color just masks it. But I am also trying to be realistic in that I have only seen this stone once and in one lighting condition, so I don't know what it would look like in other circumstances.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know your main stone is a round but the kelege setting so effectively creates the illusion of square that I really prefer the oval for diversity plus its just a little more unusual at this point which you know I like LOL I don''t love the color of the oval in that pic, but the pic is dark so I''m going to ignore that and trust YOUR eyes :)

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 11:00:22 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
I know your main stone is a round but the kelege setting so effectively creates the illusion of square that I really prefer the oval for diversity plus its just a little more unusual at this point which you know I like LOL I don''t love the color of the oval in that pic, but the pic is dark so I''m going to ignore that and trust YOUR eyes :)
Ditto!
1.gif

Also, if you''re not absolutely in love with the color, I think you should hold out for one that''s EXACTLY what you want!

widget

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sara and Widget, I''m leaning toward the oval option, but I am going to wait for some more stones to come in to look at.

Also, the color IRL is very different than it is in those photos. If it was the color that it was in the pics I wouldn''t even consider it, LOL.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hmmmmm, tough choice DJ--both are beautiful rings; but I am ''partial'' to ovals....and dreamy yummy
18.gif
yellow ovals for sure......would be nice to see them in natural light.....oh happy decisions!

cheers--Sharon

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the color can do wonders and I''m pleased to hear the bowtie is non-detectable. I really love that oval on your hand.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is by the time I buy a diamond I will know it is a GOOD one because I will have seen every other BAD one in the marketplace.

A jeweler just called me and said he had three stones for me to look at. Of course I bolt right over there, only to be disappointed again. Two of them were almost perfectly square (um... elongated PLEASE!) and one of them, which WAS an elongated shape, had the ugliest white booger on one end. Yuck!

Oh well, at least I'm getting my exercise running back and forth to Wabash Street multiple times per day...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww, Dee Jay, that is awful.
15.gif
Hopefully they will find something beautiful to show you soon.

widget

Ideal_Rock
DJ...I've been impressed that you've been able to see so many diamonds IRL locally...but now I'm wondering if that's such a good thing! LOL

Have you given up working with David at DBL?? He does such a HUGE business, you'd think he has more access to colored diamonds than most and would better be able to find something closer to what you want.

widget

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David @ DBL has a few diamonds that I am interested in, but I thought I would explore some local options too. And now I''m really glad that I am becuase based on the number of stones that I''ve seen and rejected it''s quite possible that I would ask David to ship me something only to decide that it is not the right stone for whatever reason. Not that it would be a *bad* stone, but that it wouldn''t appeal to *me*.

There should be a few more in for me to see, hopefully tomorrow, but at least Friday or Monday at the latest.

If I don''t see anything that knocks my socks off by early next week the only thing that would keep me from the oval is the prospect of the gem show over the weekend, but I''m trying to be realistic; would I REALLY be able to find a stone that I want at the gem show? I don''t recall seeing *fabulous* diamonds there in the past two times I''ve gone, but I wasn''t looking for them either.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel like there was someone else that specialized in colored diamonds online too ... schneider?? I''ll look around.

Do love the look of the Oval ... secretly hope you find a yum CUSHION!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it was Scheinerdiamonds.com ... they specialize in Canary diamonds ... this one is a 3.39 intense yellow 8.92x8.85x4.93 cushion for 44K.

There are a *ton* of stones over there ... and they even have MOVIES of the stones. Something to check out at least!
1.gif

3point39canaryintense.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Deco, I actually had a nice long conversation with Michael Scheiner yesterday. I've been all over his website and we even chatted about a few stones that he doesn't have listed on there yet. I love his pictures, but they are almost *too good*. Aren't those videos of the stones great though? Seriously, pull up a chair and a bucket of popcorn and enjoy a night at the movies!!!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/16/2007 5:42:32 PM
Author: decodelighted
Yeah, it was Scheinerdiamonds.com ... they specialize in Canary diamonds ... this one is a 3.39 intense yellow 8.92x8.85x4.93 cushion for 44K.

There are a *ton* of stones over there ... and they even have MOVIES of the stones. Something to check out at least!
1.gif

Love this site - but a couple of times the stone doesn''t match the photos or movie,
oh well, like Dee Jay says, grab the popcorn!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2007 6:32:21 PM
LOL Deco, I actually had a nice long conversation with Michael Scheiner yesterday. I''ve been all over his website and we even chatted about a few stones that he doesn''t have listed on there yet. I love his pictures, but they are almost *too good*. Aren''t those videos of the stones great though? Seriously, pull up a chair and a bucket of popcorn and enjoy a night at the movies!!!
DeeJay, do you mean as in "to be true"??
33.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2007 6:55:06 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 5/16/2007 6:32:21 PM

LOL Deco, I actually had a nice long conversation with Michael Scheiner yesterday. I've been all over his website and we even chatted about a few stones that he doesn't have listed on there yet. I love his pictures, but they are almost *too good*. Aren't those videos of the stones great though? Seriously, pull up a chair and a bucket of popcorn and enjoy a night at the movies!!!
DeeJay, do you mean as in 'to be true'??
33.gif

Let me try to explain a little more. Almost every diamond that I've seen in person these past few weeks has had some sort of issue, generally some extinction (i.e., darkness) in some area of the stone. I've come to learn this is very common in an elongated shape (think "bowtie" in an oval for example), but Michael's stones show virtually no issues like this. Perhaps I'm just jaded after having seen SO MANY bad stones in the past few weeks, but my impression is that the lighting and the rest of the environment used to take the photos is geared toward absolute perfection. Unlike the stones on DBL's website, for example, where I think David uses frankly a really lousy environment to take the pics in. That dark background and the lighting don't do the stones any favors. Last week when I spoke to David he e-mailed me pics of a radiant that I'm considering, showing the stone both in the tweezers with the dark background and then in his (or someone's hand), and the difference was absolutely remarkeable. Based on the tweezer photo I was like, um, no go, but the hand photo made all the difference in the world.

Sorry for the long winded answer, but I also want to make sure I'm not AT ALL implying that Scheiner's stones aren't real or anything like that. I just think their photography might be a little better than real life (isn't that the marketer's job though; to make something look as attractive as possible??), but I guess I wouldn't know that for a fact until I saw a stone IRL and compared it to its pic, so I'm really kinda talking out of school here.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, gotcha.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frankly I''d rather take the chance on viewing something that might be slightly flattered by excellent photography ... than stones called in TOTALLY BLIND by jewelers ... OR ones that look like dreck in the photos only to appear magically *better* in other shots. Seems like the local folks are wasting your time & that DBL is lowering expectations & using the "pleasently suprised" "only-I-know-how-really-good-it-is" reverse bait & switch technique. Eh, just my opinion.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Yeah...I''ve got to agree that there is something to be said for working with a dealer with a big inventory, good resources and trustworthy eyes over a jeweler calling stones in blind. (If in fact that''s what they do)...

I''m not sure I understand the "reverse bait and switch" scenario Deco refers to...

widget

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2007 7:12:57 PM
Author: decodelighted
Frankly I'd rather take the chance on viewing something that might be slightly flattered by excellent photography ... than stones called in TOTALLY BLIND by jewelers ... OR ones that look like dreck in the photos only to appear magically *better* in other shots. Seems like the local folks are wasting your time & that DBL is lowering expectations & using the 'pleasently suprised' 'only-I-know-how-really-good-it-is' reverse bait & switch technique. Eh, just my opinion.

Oh Deco, I'm with you. But the problem is these jewelers call me up and say, "I have this fantastic thing that just got off the plane from Israel/Belgium/Planet Uranus/Where Ever and it's FABULOUS! You have to get over her right now because it's SO wonderful that I think it might just spontaneously combust based on its own white hot fantatsticity!" And of course I bolt over and see what they've got because I would like to think *to some degree* that there are jewelers in the world and that could recognize a good stone when they see it--and also recognize a bad stone when it's sitting right in their own hand. Obviously not always the case...

Here, I'll share a little more about my experience today. The guy called me and said he had gotten in six stones but he told me that three of them weren't good enough in his opinion to show me and he's already shipped them back, so I'm thinking FINALLY someone who GETS IT!, then when I see the other three that are dreck and I'm disappointed.

So you're right, I am better of--or at least *as well off*--taking a chance on a stone that has a great mug shot, especially if I can have a conversation with David or Michael or whoever before they ship it to me and ask them to put it in front of their very own eyeballs and make sure it really IS a good stone before they waste both time and money. But seriously, isn't that what the jewelers should be doing too when they call up the people that have the stone in the first place. Shouldn't the conversation go something to the effect of, "I have, by her own admission, the world's pickiest customer who is looking for a VERY SPECIFIC thing. If you have a GREAT stone that is WHAT SHE'S LOOKING FOR send it. Otherwise, save the shipping." ???

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, jewelers should KNOW and DO a lot of things, but many don''t. Period.

I feel for ya.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2007 7:26:51 PM
Author: widget
I''m not sure I understand the ''reverse bait and switch'' scenario Deco refers to...
Awww ... I don''t mean anything nefarious by it ... "bait & switch" is showing something good & then actually giving you something "less than". REVERSE bait & switch would be showing you something "iffy" and then revealing it''s "better" than you''d hoped! Then you get excited & think you know a secret & have the opportunity to get a beauty no one else will realize is so sweet! I''m afraid I did that a few times in my Shopping Channel-producing past.
31.gif

I certainly don''t mean to imply that DBL is doing anything *fishy* -- just that those yicky pix over there have to be for SOME REASON. It''s just a GUESS! I''m suspicious by nature ...
25.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not suspicious of David for his lousy pics, I just think he needs a new photographer, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results