carat
color
clarity

My 5.01ct GIA L VS1 Round Brilliant Diamond

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1393335174|3622587 said:
I've been driving myself (and my husband, and probably a bunch of you) crazy lately, trying to figure out what I want to do about a potential reset. While I do think there will be a reset in my diamond's future (though I'm still not sure which direction to go), I want to say that I really love my diamond, and I love to stare at it in between other activities. It brightens my moments. :)

ring-on-finger-february.jpg

Tourm, I just came back to look at your diamond again b/c you've been debating the reset thing. I feel you. Me too. Your diamond is super spectacular, regardless of setting. I do think that there is a setting that YOU would like better than other settings. I guess the trick is finding that setting. :) Finding my DH was easier than this! :lol: :lol:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi, everyone. I have a few photos to share. I also want to say that I have picked a direction for a new ring (8-prong crown), though I am going back and forth about what color (gold alloy) I want it to be. I was about to go with platinum because it's neutral and I realized that I really want it to be gold. I'm deciding between 18k yellow (which is the more conventional choice in gold alloy, because it's more expensive and richer in color, though my diamond sort of blends in with it or something) and 14k yellow (its more orange cast contrasts nicely with my diamond, not adding too much yellow to it, but it's not usually paired with big diamonds). My husband likes 18k better. My daughter loves the current blingy platinum setting. I know I have to go with what I really want, rather than what others suggest, and I am leaning toward the unorthodox 14k.

Until then, though...here are three recent photos. The first captures the arrows (outside on a sunny day). The second shows beautiful pastel colors (I took this one outside my parents' house, under the evergreen trees). The third is a fire shot (not intense fire, but magical nonetheless). :)

penelope-arrows.jpg

penelope-pastels.jpg

penelope-rainbowfire.jpg

lovefordiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I can't wait to see the final ring! Congratulations, its beautiful! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great pics!

I really really suggest you go with a platinum or white gold head and a yellow gold shank. In my experience and other's experience here on PS, a yellow gold head really adds a lot of warmth to a diamond. If that is what you want, great. But I prefer the look of a platinum head and yellow shank myself!

Also, the color of the alloy depends a little less on the k and more on the exact mix of the metal.I have seen and owned 10k bands that are more rich and buttery than an 18k band, and vice versa. So, for me, I don't care so much about the label of the metal, I care more about the color of the exact alloy that will be used for my ring!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1394819718|3634168 said:
Great pics!

I really really suggest you go with a platinum or white gold head and a yellow gold shank. In my experience and other's experience here on PS, a yellow gold head really adds a lot of warmth to a diamond. If that is what you want, great. But I prefer the look of a platinum head and yellow shank myself!

Also, the color of the alloy depends a little less on the k and more on the exact mix of the metal.I have seen and owned 10k bands that are more rich and buttery than an 18k band, and vice versa. So, for me, I don't care so much about the label of the metal, I care more about the color of the exact alloy that will be used for my ring!

Thank you! :) Good points about the exact alloy determining the color. I am deciding between two specific ones that I have in front of me. I've thought quite a lot about it, and I have been all over the map about the head (and whole ring). I really am not fond of the look of a metal that is whiter than the diamond being right next to the diamond. Even if the 14k yellow gold would add a bit of warmth in a vacuum, it isn't a vacuum, and the diamond would still look much whiter than the setting. I don't mind the warmth...I just don't really enjoy looking at it next to white metal. I have been tempted to go with everyone else's aesthetic preferences, but I'm the one wearing the ring, and I have to go with what I know will please my eye. :) Of course, it is possible that I will have get a new ring and then chicken out of having my diamond reset! Sigh.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are a few new pictures. It's still cold here, but I love how my diamond (whole ring, actually) looks outside. The first two pictures were taken outside and the third was taken inside near a window (I love the pastel colors!).

image_1476.jpg

image_1477.jpg

image_1478.jpg

Pinkbunny

Shiny_Rock
image_993.jpg

And a cropped version of the above:

image_994.jpg

image_995.jpg
Was your setting design inspired by Tiffany’s? I saw this exact design a few years back when I tried on some rings at the boutique. Was told it was a special mounting created for larger stones.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Was your setting design inspired by Tiffany’s? I saw this exact design a few years back when I tried on some rings at the boutique. Was told it was a special mounting created for larger stones.

Interesting! No, it was a combination of an antique crown ring I'd seen, and a ring that had already been made by jewelryhoo.

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just had to peep in and see what was happening with this beautiful stone lol,

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love the reset. Please post more pictures!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results