carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 9:00:20 AM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Turquoise and diamond parure. As far as I know the jewels are new additions to the GD familly''s collection. With the right hairdo the tiara would look even better.
The turquoise parure is very elegant.I think it is my favorite of all the jewery you have posted from this particular collection.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 6:47:37 PM
I know The late Duchess of Windsor gave some jewels to the Kents through the years. As far as I remember among these jewels were ruby cherry earrings. Probably you know that Marie Christine and The Duchess were advised not to wear The Duchess of Windsor''s jewels in public (or in The Queen''s presence?), so I''m not sure how they look. Has someone ever seen pictures of them?

Today while cheking the files I found this photograph of Princess Michael wearing cabochon ruby earrings and a ruby bead necklace. Then the above story came to my mind with the quesion - Are these Wallis''s earrings. I am not a fan of bead necklaces, but the earrings IMO are very beautiful.
I have to agree, these are real stunners.Some of the nicest cabochon cut ruby earrings ive seen.The color is great!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 12:56:52 AM
Author: jewelerman

I have to agree, these are real stunners.Some of the nicest cabochon cut ruby earrings ive seen.The color is great!

I have to agree with you, jewelerman. They look even better than Queen Elizabrth II''s ruby cabochon earrings.
Here is The Queen during the 2008 Garter Service:

2008.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another picture of the Swedish amethyst tiara. Although it is not being worn by Queen Silvia, but by Crown Princess Victoria, as you can see it is being worn flat on the head rather than at the back of the head as the Crown Princess usually wears it.

AGBF
34.gif

SwedishAmethystTiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Desere, The King of Sweden''s sister, wearing the tiara at the Nobel Prize banquet in 1980. In this year The Queen didn''t attend due to illness and was replaced by her sister-in-law.

This is one of the few pictures I''ve seen of the tiara worn in the proper way.

TRR5128.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A while ago we were having a discussion on one of Queen Silvia''s (Sweden) diamond brooches.Then someone said that this brooch was part of a pair, and the other one''s in Norway. I think HM Queen Sonja is wearing the other brooch.

I found this picture today when I visited RJWMB. It is posted by poster Josefine. Here we have a poster Josefine too. Are you the same poster? If so I''m sorry for posting your picture here.

Bobby

05061076.jpg

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
I am the same........Josefine there is

estelaris

Rough_Rock
Here is Maxima wearing the Diamond Bandeau Tiara.
The Diamond Bandeau Tiara consists of twenty-seven very large rose cut diamonds. The diamonds were taken from the rivière of 34 large rose cut diamonds, which was part of Queen Emma''s Wedding Gift. The original necklace was probably already broken up in 1898 to make a choker necklace with the largest diamond as a pendant. Queen Wilhelmina wore this choker necklace at her investiture in 1898 and her wedding in 1901. The stones from the choker necklace were later set on a light bandeau frame. It is possible that a matching pair of earrings were made over time from the remaining stones. Queen Juliana has worn the bandeau of diamond many times and in most cases with the matching set of earrings. Queen Beatrix has only started wearing this tiara in recent years. Her sister, Princess Margriet, wore the bandeau tiara on several occasions. Lately Princess Maxima has worn this simple but stunning diamond tiara quite frequently with much success.

MaximaBandeau.jpg

estelaris

Rough_Rock
here is a close up of the tiara

Bandeauclose.jpg

estelaris

Rough_Rock
and Queen Beatrix wearing the same

BeatrixBandeau.jpg

estelaris

Rough_Rock
This Antique Pearl Tiara is said to be a remnant of a diamond and pearl coronet or Kokoshnik style tiara belonging to Queen Anna Paulowna, born a Grand Duchess of Russia. Queen Anna''s pearl coronet in the portrait below was made around 1840 by Russian Court Jeweller Duval for the investiture of King Willem II. It is unknown what exactly happened to the original tiara although it''s very likely that it passed on to her daughter, Grand Duchess Sophie who inherited almost all her jewels. In the present day tiara, four of the very large natural pearl drops are said to have belonged to Princess Amalia of Solms, wife of Prince Frederik-Hendrik (17th century). These pearls are most probably the oldest family pieces in the Orange-Nassau collection. The largest pearl in this tiara weighs over 41 grain and is considered extremely rare, as are the many other large drop shaped pearls in the Orange-Nassau collection. This Antique Pearl Tiara was probably created for Queen Wilhelmina around 1900. The diamond base consists of a pattern of garlands and fleurs de lils topped with seven large natural drop shaped pearls. Queen Wilhelmina seems to have been quite fond of this tiara. As was her daughter Queen Juliana in her later years. Queen Beatrix has been wearing it since she was 21. Princess Margriet has also worn the tiara on several occasions. In 2001, Princess Maxima created a fresh new look by wearing the tiara base without the large drop pearls which in stead she used on an other occasion for a new diamond and pearl setting of the emerald tiara. In recent years this tiara seems to have become one of Maxima''s favorites..

here is a picture of HM before she became queen using the tiara.

BeatrixParel.jpg

estelaris

Rough_Rock
Maxima wearing the Antique Pearl Tiara.

MaximaParel2.jpg

estelaris

Rough_Rock
I never knew how extensive the Dutch royal jewels was. I will post as much as i can.
31.gif

i have started with the tiaras.
2.gif

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
there are alot of Dutch royal jewels
keep them comming

i thought about posting this one of 5 collection at the RJOTW
but i think there are maybe to much of posting about the swedish jewlery so i will post it here.

broscher small.jpg

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Such huge stones and pearls in the dutch collection! In any other country they would probably be crown jewels.

HM Queen Beatrix wearing another pearl tiara; The Würtemberg Pearl Tiara. And lots and lots of make-up.

Beatrix%20Wurtemberg%20Tiara%2004a.jpg

robinj

Shiny_Rock
picture didn''t load, so I try again.

Beatrix20Wurtemberg20Tiara2004aaa.JPG

robinj

Shiny_Rock
More dutch pearls;
The pearl button tiara.
HMQ Beatrix has the perfect hair for this kind of tiaras. She''s so cute on this picture.

InhuldigingkoninginBeatrixsmall.JPG

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 2:51:38 PM
Author: Josefine
there are alot of Dutch royal jewels
keep them comming

i thought about posting this one of 5 collection at the RJOTW
but i think there are maybe to much of posting about the swedish jewlery so i will post it here.
The button tiaras... *brrr*
The four button tiara can look nice when they wear their hair high, but the six buttons are beyond rescue... Beatrix in the previous picture shows what a button tiara *should* look like... (But it's hard to compare since the swedish diamond buttons are so much larger than the dutch pearl buttons.)

Nice brooches though.

estelaris

Rough_Rock
Queen Emma''s Diamond Tiara

This all diamond tiara with a floral motif (or rosettes) was ordered by King Willem III for his second wife, Queen Emma in 1890. This bandeau with three large diamond rosettes was specially made for Queen Emma to incorporate five of the six diamond stars with the twelve points she received as a wedding present in 1879 from her new relatives, either the Von Wieds or the Von Saxen-Weimars. The tiara was made by Royal Begeer in Utrecht and was delivered at the Palace just after King Willem III had died in 1890. Five stars could be mounted (on springs) on the tiara and a sixth one was used as a brooch. Queen Emma was never seen with the stars attached to the tiara. Her daughter Queen Wilhelmina however was portrayed later in life with the stars ''on top''. Queen Beatrix, who seems to prefer this tiara above all others, had the three large diamonds in the centre of the rosettes replaced by ruby and diamond clusters on occasion. Her mother, Queen Juliana, has never worn this tiara. It is said that Princess Irene has worn this tiara in the early 60''s. Princess Margriet has worn this tiara once or twice when her sister, Queen Beatrix, was wearing a larger tiara. It is undoubtedly Queen Beatrix''s favorite tiara; she has been wearing it since she was eighteen. Recently Princess Laurentien was seen with this tiara with one large ruby placed in the center diamond rosette.

BeatrixTiara1.jpg

estelaris

Rough_Rock
Laurel Wreath Tiara

Some say this Empire style tiara, or bandeau a la Grecque, belonged to Princess Louise, a sister of King Willem I, other sources say the antique tiara was bought by Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard in 1956 for the 18th birthday of Princess Beatrix. Whatever the provenance the tiara dates back to the 1800''s and that makes it the oldest tiara in the Orange-Nassau collection. Over the years it seems that this tiara is only worn by Princesses of the House of Orange-Nassau. Then crown princess Beatrix wore the tiara frequently when she was young. Her sister Princess Margriet wore it on many occasion. The last person who has been seen wearing this tiara was Princess Laurentien. She choose to wear this tiara at her wedding to Prince Constantijn in 2001, probably as a reference to her name. Only recently did she wear it again. This time at a State Banquet.

LaurentienLaurierkrans.jpg

estelaris

Rough_Rock
here is another pic of the Laurel Wreath Tiara

LaurierkransTiara.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
It could not load under the weight of all that blue eye shadow!
31.gif
The pearls were a good choice though!

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 5:54:33 PM
A picture of the (demi)-parure before the big necklace was mounted of a frame. I hope there''ll be less formal occasions, where tiaras won''t be required and we''ll see the necklace again.

Bobby
I think the problem might be that when it''s a no-tiara occasion, the necklace is a bit to grand.... and with a tiara occasion, there''s no tiara to match the necklace with... maybe the braganca, but HMQ Silvia seems to preffer to wear the pink topaz parure with that.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I have something royal to post. It is 24k gold but it is not jewels. Do you [all] think it is OK for me to post? I think it is pretty cool. It is my own photo and experience.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Post please Blu
36.gif
what can i say, im a curious grorge
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/23/2009 7:01:33 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu

I have something royal to post. It is 24k gold but it is not jewels. Do you [all] think it is OK for me to post? I think it is pretty cool. It is my own photo and experience.
Why on earth are you hesitating?

AGBF
34.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 1:37:35 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
8/23/2009 7:01:33 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu

Why on earth are you hesitating?

AGBF

34.gif

Because I am a dope!
9.gif

First, since they are not jewels I didn''t want to get yelled at.

Then, I had no idea what to do to scan the photos sooooo I took photos of the photos which are now in my camera. DH has agreed to show me how to download them - I now need to find a stick of dynamite to get him to actually do it! LOL!

I''ll get them up this afternoon. I have a couple of conference calls that I need to do starting in the next few minutes. I''ll tend to the photos after that.
9.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
These are not royal jewels but I figured they were close enough to post, especially given my personal experiences with them.

Royals have been hanging around yacht racing for years. They have even donated a trophy or two!

The King Edward VII Gold Cup is the oldest match-racing trophy in the world for competition involving one-design yachts. It was given at the Tri-Centenary Regatta at Jamestown, Virginia, in 1907 by King Edward VII in commemoration of the 300th Anniversary of the first permanent settlement in America.

C. Sherman Hoyt won the regatta and was the first to accept the now historic cup. After three decades of holding the Cup, Hoyt gave it to the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club and proposed a regular one-on-one match-race series in 6-Meter yachts. In his letter he expressed the propriety of "my returning a British Royal trophy to the custody of your club, with its long record of clean sportsmanship and keenly contested races between your Bermuda yachts and ours of Long Island Sound, and elsewhere..." The first winner of the Cup in its new format was Briggs Cunningham, who was also the first skipper to win the America's Cup in a 12-Meter.

My ex was tactician for the winning boat [an IOD] of the King Edward VII Gold Cup Match Race five times in six years. Their reign ended when the event became a professional event [with prize money - LOL - so our professional buds came out of the woodwork!]. The parties, however, got even better!

I miswrote in my previous post. It is not 24k gold. It is, however, solid gold, probably 18k, and weighs a ton! In any case, here is a "proper" pic of the Gold Cup.

goldcup.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Now for some less proper pics! [Chuckle, chuckle]
9.gif
11.gif
9.gif

Here I am drinking champagne from the Vrengen Gold Cup at the RBYC. [Yup, won that too!]. It is a smaller solid gold cup donated to the RBYC by a friend of mine [he's the guy on the left with his eyes closed - guess I should not pass on his real name?]. The guy next to him was another crew member. He is holding one of the keeper [silver] trophies. I should have photographed some of those too. I'll polish them up, photograph them and post the photos later if anybody would like to see them.

You see, back then, tradition had it that the cups were to be filled with champagne and passed around for everybody to drink. No pics of me drinking from the Gold Cup - probably because the would be photographers were too busy "helping" me drink the champagne - while giving me a shower at the same time! LOL! Man, was that thing heavy! It is bad enough when it is empty - try to lift it when it is full!

Of course, drinking from only one cup was not enough - you had to drink from both! [I apologize for the photo quality - it is a photo of a photo. I may need to go and have the actual photos scanned to post a better one.]

Drinking from Vrengen Cup.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
After the champagne got consumed we would get silly. Here is a vignette I insisted on setting up: Nested Gold Cups [sans the big lid - it was probably still at the bar]. The Vrengen Gold Cup is inside the King Edward VII Gold Cup
9.gif
11.gif
9.gif
. I think it looks pretty cool. Again, this is a pic of a pic.

Now, the RBYC no longer allows people mess with the cups. The winning team is allowed to hold it - with close supervision and only for the photo op - but that's about it. Wonder if our annual antics had anything to do with the change in policy?
9.gif
11.gif
9.gif
[Note - Amazingly, we never did drop either cup!]

Nested Gold Cups.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results