shape
carat
color
clarity

Women Who Don't Have Kids: Are You OK With It? Any Regrets?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Addressed to women because we have our biological choices curtailed in a way that men don't:

I guess I'm thinking about this stuff because it's Valentine's Day, and I was thinking about my ex.

I don't have kids because my former marriage, and my ex-husband, was unstable. Lots of mood swings, bad temper, and walkings-out. I would have liked children if I'd been in a stable marriage, but I didn't want them at any cost. In the end, the decision was made for me because he walked out on me when I was 42 after a decade of marriage. He came back for quite while but I'd been so hurt that it was never the same, and after he left me, I'd already decided for good before he came back that I wasn't going to have kids with him. (It wasn't all as bad as I describe. There were good times too but my ex had some significant mental and emotional difficulties.) My cousin was very different - I've written about her here before. She said her whole life would be meaningless without kids, and she had them with a man who was horribly abusive, physically. Their kids are growing up seeing Mommy not allowed to have any dinner and called a rhymes-with-witch and all manner of things. But she wanted to have children whatever the cost, and I didn't feel that way.

I still wonder if I did the right thing. Kids of mine would have grown up in an unstable household with a ton of tension and would have absorbed some very unhealthy behaviors. Although he wasn't physically abusive, he was certainly emotionally abusive and pretty horrible sometimes, including ignoring me LOTS. It was something of a relief when he left me. I truly believe that he would have walked out on me and any kids if we'd had them - I know him and I'm sure that kids wouldn't have stopped him leaving.

However, if I'd had kids with him...I'd still have them now, but instead, I only have extended family and some lovely friends. It seems that everyone I know has kids, but in fact well over 20% of women my age don't have them.

So, to others who didn't have kids for whatever reason, do you regret it? Do you think you'll regret it in the future? Do you feel the odd one out sometimes? And how do you explain when people ask you about it? Just the other day, a co-worker asked if I was anti-kids. It's not as simple as saying "I never wanted them." I don't want to explain to people about my ex and his challenges. It really wasn't simple in my situation. I'm mostly happy with my decision - I think having kids with my ex would have been immeasurably hard and I just wasn't prepared to make on 90% of the responsibility. I also thought it was wrong to bring a child into a home which I knew was frequently unstable and unhappy. But sometimes I wonder, you know? Maybe I should have just gone for it, like other people do.

The research is confusing, but it basically says that parents are less happy day-to-day but feel a deeper sense of reward overall than people who don't have kids.

I know for some people, it's simple - they didn't want them. But for people who weren't sure and ultimately opted out, or who were stymied by circumstance, how did you resolve this issue in your life?

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman who doesn't have kids.

Thanks!

J.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Women Who Don't Have Kids: Are You OK With It? Any Regre

Hey Jambalaya, I have kids but I just had to say that I'm shocked that anyone would ask if you're anti-kids. That is just so rude and insensitive. I get that there is a certain expectation of women but kids are not for everyone and you never know what someone's personal circumstances are. Sounds like you handled it with grace though.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Don't know if you are interested in thoughts from those of us who dont' have kids yet, but still might potentially do so in the future.

I've never wrote this anywhere before, so bear with me. I've never wanted kids. Not ever in my life. I work with kids clinically and love what I do, but just have never felt the urge to have kids of my own. I'm terrified of the idea of having kids. My parents always loved me more than they loved each other--and even told me that. I am an only child and was always the mediator of their arguments. I would step in between their fights because I couldn't stand to see my mother cry, and I always maintained that I was strong enough to take him being unreasonable. I don't want to pass on any of my anxiety or other issues to children, and would never want to undermine my relationship with my husband. I love him more than anything, we are best friends. If I have to choose between a child that doesnt exist and him, I will choose him forever.

Plus, I'm totally content with our fur babies!

DH at one point was very upset that I didn't want kids--and it was something of a deal breaker for him. I told him that I dont NOT want them, I just don't want them either. So I've told him that if/when he wants kids we can discuss it. But secretly I hope he never wants them, because I'm so scared.

Ok, end vulnerable rant now. But Jamb: that's my 2 cents. And yes, I feel strangely left out since most of our friends are starting to have kids now. But I also feel happy, and like I don't want our lives to change.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do men matter too?

I'm a childless man.
I'm not just okay with it; I couldn't be happier. :dance:

People vary, fortunately.
For me, having a kid would be one of the the worst things I could imagine. :knockout:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1487133551|4128954 said:
Do men matter too?

I'm a childless man.
I'm not just okay with it; I couldn't be happier. :dance:

People vary, fortunately.
For me, having a kid would be one of the the worst things I could imagine. :knockout:

Kenny, of course I'm interested in what you have to say, but the point is that you could still have your own kid if you wanted to. When you are a woman, you can't, past a certain age, and I think the psychology of those two situations is very different. I wonder if men are ever prone to the same regret, since they can father children until the day they die. This is so different from having to make an irrevocable choice, and from the gates on that possibility slamming shut forever halfway through your life, whether you like it or not.

However, I am very interested to hear that you don't regret it. I think you've always been sure of yourself on this, though, right? It's a hard decision when you're not sure. I agonized over it for quite a few years while married. The window is probably closed for me - although you do sometimes hear of women aged 44-48 getting pregnant - but anyway, my husband split, so no go.

I am mostly happy with my decision not to bring a child into an unhappy marriage, but I do worry that I might regret it when I'm older. I'm somewhat reassured to hear that you don't regret it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya|1487134338|4128962 said:
Kenny, of course I'm interested in what you have to say, but the point is that you could still have your own kid if you wanted to.

I'd have to adopt.
So could you.

But I get it ... depending on whom you allow into your life there can be much more pressure on a straight woman (compared to on a gay man) to have kids.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1487131721|4128935 said:
Don't know if you are interested in thoughts from those of us who dont' have kids yet, but still might potentially do so in the future.

I've never wrote this anywhere before, so bear with me. I've never wanted kids. Not ever in my life. I work with kids clinically and love what I do, but just have never felt the urge to have kids of my own. I'm terrified of the idea of having kids. My parents always loved me more than they loved each other--and even told me that. I am an only child and was always the mediator of their arguments. I would step in between their fights because I couldn't stand to see my mother cry, and I always maintained that I was strong enough to take him being unreasonable. I don't want to pass on any of my anxiety or other issues to children, and would never want to undermine my relationship with my husband. I love him more than anything, we are best friends. If I have to choose between a child that doesnt exist and him, I will choose him forever.

Plus, I'm totally content with our fur babies!

DH at one point was very upset that I didn't want kids--and it was something of a deal breaker for him. I told him that I dont NOT want them, I just don't want them either. So I've told him that if/when he wants kids we can discuss it. But secretly I hope he never wants them, because I'm so scared.

Ok, end vulnerable rant now. But Jamb: that's my 2 cents. And yes, I feel strangely left out since most of our friends are starting to have kids now. But I also feel happy, and like I don't want our lives to change.

Thanks, Lovedogs. I'm interested to read anyone's viewpoint. It's a hard decision for some, no doubt, and I wish you luck with it. I wish there were some women here who are post-60 and were on the fence but opted out, and could give their perspective. Even better, I'd love to talk to a post-80 fence sitter who didn't have them! I know some people my age who never wanted them and never swayed and are very happy with their decision, but for me, there were many shades of gray. I'm mostly happy with the decision, but on a day like V Day I do wonder what might have been. I still tend to think it would have been a big mess, given my marriage. Perhaps some lingering doubts are natural when it comes to something as big as whether to have kids or not.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

StephanieLynn|1487131286|4128930 said:
Hey Jambalaya, I have kids but I just had to say that I'm shocked that anyone would ask if you're anti-kids. That is just so rude and insensitive. I get that there is a certain expectation of women but kids are not for everyone and you never know what someone's personal circumstances are. Sounds like you handled it with grace though.

Thanks, Stephanie! The co-worker was pregnant, and perhaps curious, as she herself says she's not a baby person so perhaps she had also felt ambivalent. I just fell back on saying, super-casually, "Oh, I've never really thought about it." Couldn't be further from the truth - I tussled with the issue for years. Yes, it is very rude, because my circumstances were messy. It's one thing if you tried and couldn't, or if you are supremely confident in your decision not to have them, but I don't want to tell people at work what my marriage was like and all I went through in the decision, and then he walked out anyway, etc. People tend to think that those who don't have kids either didn't want them or couldn't have them. No one seems to factor in that relationship issues can make or break the decision.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock

I am a 70-year-old, long-divorced woman with no children. I am happy with it. I was an impatient person in my child-bearing years and my ex was very depressed, so I doubt we would have made great parents. So now, I don't have to worry about children I don't have, and believe me, even good kids are a constant source of worry. I don't have to worry about leaving them an estate, either. Sometimes children help you out in your old age, but these days the help seems to go the other way until the very last years! I do get occasional flak from friends who seem to think they are morally superior because they DO have kids. I am pretty nice to my nieces, though.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sonnyjane|1487134115|4128958 said:
This topic comes up every now and then around here. Maybe reading some of these old threads will help you too. No, I have no regrets.

SonnyJane, thank you so much for posting all those links.

So you're not having them fr sure, and you feel A-OK about it? Do you ever worry about growing old without adult kids/grandkids around? I do, a little, but of course that was no reason to have them.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Jambalaya|1487135129|4128973 said:
This topic comes up every now and then around here. Maybe reading some of these old threads will help you too. No, I have no regrets.

So you're not having them fr sure, and you feel A-OK about it? Do you ever worry about growing old without adult kids/grandkids around? I do, a little, but of course that was no reason to have them.

I feel like I'm not a fair opinion because I have no desire to have them. I'm not torn like you are. When all my friends started having babies about 6 or 7 years ago I briefly (I think for about 2 weeks) entertained the notion of having a child. I don't remember what exactly snapped me back but I'm firmly in the "no" camp. I have spoken with my husband about him getting a vasectomy, but I feel badly asking him to do that... what if HE changes his mind someday? I think I've posted this before, but if he decides suddenly that he wants to have children and cannot live without them, we would have to have an amicable divorce because I will not budge on this issue.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1487134564|4128964 said:
Jambalaya|1487134338|4128962 said:
Kenny, of course I'm interested in what you have to say, but the point is that you could still have your own kid if you wanted to.

I'd have to adopt.
So could you.

But I get it ... depending on whom you allow into your life there can be much more pressure on a straight woman (compared to on a gay man) to have kids.

Yes, there was certainly a ton of pressure from absolutely everybody including random strangers when I was a younger married woman. My ex suffered from depression as well as his other problems, and nobody really knew what he/I were going through. I do think I made the right decision not to being a child into that mess - and I really love my freedom - but sometimes I just feel wistful, that's all.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FYI...only 50% of PSers have kids.. :)) Dogs and cats don't count as kids... :tongue:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

boerumbiddy|1487134933|4128971 said:
I am a 70-year-old, long-divorced woman with no children. I am happy with it. I was an impatient person in my child-bearing years and my ex was very depressed, so I doubt we would have made great parents. So now, I don't have to worry about children I don't have, and believe me, even good kids are a constant source of worry. I don't have to worry about leaving them an estate, either. Sometimes children help you out in your old age, but these days the help seems to go the other way until the very last years! I do get occasional flak from friends who seem to think they are morally superior because they DO have kids. I am pretty nice to my nieces, though.

Boerumbiddy, thank you so much for your reply! In addition to other problems, my ex-husband was depressed also, quite badly, and it was awful. I didn't think that such a home would be fair on a child. Sounds as if you really enjoy your freedom - good for you! So, no regrets at all? What's hard sometimes is that I think I would've been a great mom, but it just wasn't right, and really I had to make the decision on my own to save all our sanities. It's probably the weightiest decision I ever made, and if I never have to make a decision of that magnitude again, I'll be happy! But it really sounds as if you've enjoyed your life without kids, which I find very reassuring! Because I can't really know if I made the right decision...sometimes I do wonder about the path not taken.

I'm most reassured to "meet" another woman who could be me in a couple of decades, right down to the husband with some issues, and seems to enjoy her freedom!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sonnyjane|1487135474|4128975 said:

I feel like I'm not a fair opinion because I have no desire to have them. I'm not torn like you are. When all my friends started having babies about 6 or 7 years ago I briefly (I think for about 2 weeks) entertained the notion of having a child. I don't remember what exactly snapped me back but I'm firmly in the "no" camp. I have spoken with my husband about him getting a vasectomy, but I feel badly asking him to do that... what if HE changes his mind someday? I think I've posted this before, but if he decides suddenly that he wants to have children and cannot live without them, we would have to have an amicable divorce because I will not budge on this issue.

It's great that you know what you want! Have you experienced a lot of negativity about it from people/family/friends in general? I did, when I was younger and married. God, if only they knew what our home life was like!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1487135766|4128978 said:
FYI...only 50% of PSers have kids.. :)) Dogs and cats don't count as kids... :tongue:

Really? I think it's more than 50%, not including furbabies.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Jambalaya|1487136198|4128984 said:

It's great that you know what you want! Have you experienced a lot of negativity about it from people/family/friends in general? I did, when I was younger and married. God, if only they knew what our home life was like!

Let's just say I'm very effective at shutting people down when they pry. I think that there are three types of people that do not have children - the type that sadly cannot have children but want them, the type that want children but don't quite have them yet, and the types that flat out don't want them. I think that a lot of times childless women are asked "When are you and so and so having a baby?!" or told "oh you'll change your mind one day!" and I think that no matter what your circumstance, you're doing everyone a disservice if you play polite and say nothing or smile and nod. I think that people need to learn that broaching that subject is really, really rude for multiple reasons, and if you don't call them on it, they'll keep asking not just you, but others.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya|1487136245|4128985 said:
Dancing Fire|1487135766|4128978 said:

Really? I think it's more than 50%, not including furbabies.
+/- 2% margin of error... :read:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sonnyjane|1487136612|4128990 said:
Jambalaya|1487136198|4128984 said:

Oh, I don't get that pressure anymore. I'm not married and I'm older. The co-worker was a rarity and she is heavily pregnant, so...But yeah, being a younger married woman, wow. It's amazing how invested the world seems in attempting to make sure that women have kids.

As I got older, post-40 I saw some husbands just walk out on their wives and kids, and do everything they could not to pay child support. One third of all court-ordered child support goes unpaid in this country. To see your worst nightmare, read Happy Hausfrau's blog. Stable marriage for 15 years, four kids, he had an affair and left her twice. Paid 6k per month at first...but then he resigned from his high-paying job and pretty much never paid another penny. He was due to pay her many, many thousands in backdue support at one time, but he never did and nothing happened to him. Perhaps it's because he's basically purposely underemployed. They went to court and he pays less than $50 per child, per month. He remarried and had two more kids. In my own friends, itt was often the man I least expected - couples who were really in love. It was a terrible situation because the men were always the breadwinners. Their wives and children really suffered, and I'm convinced that would have been me if I'd had kids with my ex - hell, I suffered enough when he left me and only me!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I baby-sat the first born of a family friend when he was 2 weeks old for 2 weeks, and thought if this is what having a child is all about, then it is not for me.

He turned 33 last year. And I was not asked to baby-sit for his younger brother when he was born a couple of years later.

I have no maternity instinct to speak of; and never had the alarm call from the so-called biological clock.

I do not believe I would achieve what I managed to achieve so far had I had a family.

Baby's cries do not do anything for me.

I value my independence and freedom, and a family would not have suited me.

Love cats and dogs, and love my fur babies.

A long time ago my older sister and my mum had a big argument, and mum said she wished my sister had never been born; and she replied she did not asked to be born.

I do not wish for any child of mine to say that to me, another reason why I do not have any.

Regrets? I have a few, however, not having kids is not one of them, and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sonnyjane said:

This is how I feel too. Unlike Sonnyjane however we are too old to have children at this stage so I thought I would chime in here and share that we have no regrets regarding children. I knew from the beginning I didn't want any. I have no maternal instinct and just couldn't envision having them. My dh was ambivalent when we started discussing this and fortunately was completely on board with not having them since I didn't want children. I don't regret it at all and as I wrote we are far past the age of being able to have them.

To be clear, I love children and I enjoy spending time with them and I know my dh would have made an amazing father and probably I would have stepped up to the plate and made a good mother if we had become pregnant and decided to have children. But as much as I like and enjoy being around kids (for short periods of time) I just didn't want my own children. And when the topic comes up as it did now my dh agrees completely. We have no regrets.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I applaud you Jambalaya for putting your childrens' wellfare above your wants/needs*. You made a selfless decision at the possible
cost of your wants...dont see that a lot anymore. I find that very admirable.

Edit...btw...I have 3 children. Being a parent is so much harder than I thought it would be...I think everyone should be able to
make the decision that is right for them and not be given a hard time.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

My DH and I have kids, but most of our closest friends do not (by choice). Because we are all a little different in terms of age, they have different perspectives. One friend has regrets about not having her own, but is now too old to have them (and wouldn't adopt). One friend is kid-free by choice and still young enough to understand that she's sort of on the fence and could have regrets one day. Another friend has some regret, but is mostly content with her choice because she understands that having kids would have been complicated with her husband's job, carefree lifestyle, etc., so she knew that adding kids would just make things worse. They all have fabulous lives though (lots of travel, etc.), so in many ways, it balances itself out. I couldn't be happier with my choice to have kids, but I don't have an issue with women/couples who are kid-free by choice. I can see the benefits of that lifestyle too :D I sort of not regret having one more child though :blackeye:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've edited to remove parts of this because it more or less describes my experiences. I've put ellipsis where I edited so that it's clear.

lovedogs|1487131721|4128935 said:

I've never wrote this anywhere before, so bear with me. I've never wanted kids. Not ever in my life...
My parents always loved me more than they loved each other--and even told me that. I ...was always the mediator of their arguments. I would step in between their fights...
I would never want to undermine my relationship with my husband...
If I have to choose between a child that doesnt exist and him, I will choose him forever.

Now my own words. I grew up in a family where money was sometimes tight. My parents made a couple bad decisions, as people do, which can be seen in hindsight. My mother coped. Sometimes low-wage but always always steady work. My father let his work situation get to him. I watched my mother effectively raise and support 3 children if you include my father. I am closer, more bonded to my mother. My father is my father, I could take him, but most of the time I could leave him. I see a little of my father in my husband, and to be frank, most men, I am sexist and think women are typically more adaptable to protect and provide the best for their children as compared to men. I watched that trait in my mother hurt my parent's relationship. I don't want that for myself. I don't know how to balance loving a partner while always doing the best for a child when both parents aren't on the same page.

I was also older than my sister when the financial troubles hit. I have an incredible fear of not being secure. My sister is the type who believes she'll always be caught by a safety net. There's been some tension between us in the past. I hung out with the poorer kids at school, my sister wanted what her rich friends had and took it out on my parents that she didn't get those things. If I had to raise a child like my sister I might end up in prison. (We actually get along very well now - we've both grown up a lot!)

I'm in my mid-30s so there's still time, but I want a relationship with my husband first and if I were to have a child I want one who doesn't hate me. There are no guarantees with children. None at all regarding how they'll turn out. If they'll love you, hate you, want you in their lives, have children themselves, live close, live far away, help you in old age, be a friend, if you'll like who they marry, if they'll have any physical or mental disabilities. No guarantees. So I'm not particularly inclined to have them.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think some mistake me for a much younger woman. (I don't exactly look my age!!) as I was recently asked if I had children and my response was thank god no, the kitchen is closed!!! :lol: I said I only like kids because they belong to someone else.

I make no bones about it and I don't apologize for my position. Kids are ok if thats what you want. If you don't want them, you shouldn't be pushed into having them by ANYBODY. Better someone that wants them and be an amazing parent than someone who doesn't and be a shitty one.

I told my mother at the age of 4-5 I would never have kids. I kept that promise.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

I met my husband later in life; I was nearly 37 and he was mid-30s. Having dated women with children in his younger years, he was pretty sure he didn't want kids but was willing to discuss the possibility when we got together.

I had always wanted kids as a young woman, but my perspective changed quite a bit into my 30s for many reasons. My focus shifted from the romantic notion of having children to much weightier considerations like funding them, measuring my ability to meet their needs, measuring my ability to deliver all the things I thought they should have (not just material things), and really considered what those changes in my lifestyle would mean. I also thought seriously about the path I wanted my life to take in my later years - namely retirement and how the ability to retire would be impacted by having a college-aged child during those years. I think I also thought much about where I was in my life with my own parents; my folks had me in their early 20s, and their presence in my life through my mid-to-late 30s was incredibly impactful and valued. Both of my parents lost their

For those and many other reasons, we ultimately decided not to have children. That was 14 years ago; now I'm 51 and I will say that despite all the naysaying I heard here on PS back then, I have not regretted that choice. If anything, hindsight has only reinforce my conviction that we made the right decision for us. I felt strongly then that I could meaningful contribute to the lives of the children around me, and I'd say that absolutely happened. I didn't need to have children of my own to make a difference in the lives of children, and that has been incredibly gratifying.

That's not to say there aren't times when I wonder what might have been had things been different, but it's not a wistful wondering; it's the natural curiousity anyone would feel in imagining the path not taken.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Never wanted kids until 34. It was like a switch flipped overnight. I got pregnant right away and never looked back. I'm not necessarily on board with having more, but I wouldn't hate it, either. I blame biology. I miss certain freedoms, but I had all kinds of time before having a baby to travel and do all sorts of potentially regrettable other things.

That maternal instinct doesn't necessarily mean "omg I LOVE kids, have to have one, I'd make such a great mom and I just want to take care of a baby!" I'd say it's more like this:

See train hurtling towards non-blood-related loved one: split second decision/choice to push them out of the way.

See train hurtling towards own child: immediately and instinctively push them out of the way, no thought involved and without regard to your own safety.

It's just a biological survival thing, imo. I'm kind of a pragmatic realist vs a romantic who needs to have all the feels, though. I know others feel differently. I'm just saying there's no need to have regrets either way.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

I want to say that as a mother of two kids, I fully support women who choose not to have children. There is *nothing* odd about that choice to me. I am (at times) envious of the childfree couples I know, and completely get why people choose it. There are pros and cons to every choice, and you gotta do YOU.

Also - I'm one of those women who is freakishly close to her DH - we met very young, were best friends for awhile before we dated, etc etc...I would say that having kids absolutely can come between that tight relationship, it is definitely a balancing act. My kids know that they are very much loved and were very much wanted, but they also know that their parents have a very tight bond that we expect to last long after our kids are grown. Anyway, my point is that with the type of marriage DH and I have, I could've easily seen us choose a childfree life and still be just as happy as we are right now. I hope that doesn't sound odd. We love our children and carefully planned them; but I think we could've been equally happy, in a different way, without them.

Just my two cents, and I hope it's ok that I've commented (please ignore if not ;-) )

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I never wanted kids. I've never felt unfulfilled due to lack of kids. Friends and family put on the pressure to have kids when I was first married. To put an end to the discussion, I got a tubal ligation as a 25th birthday present to myself (37 yrs. ago) and have never regretted it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results