shape
carat
color
clarity

Jealousy - do you experience it a lot?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
te:[/b] 11/21/2004 8:22:19 PM
Author: yellowfan

PS ADOPT A PET! TO PREVENT NEEDLESS EUTHANASIA!
[/quote]

My daughter wanted to have a dog, "just like Dallas". Dallas was a dog of indeterminate origin who lived down the street from my mother. No one could have replicated Dallas if he tried! Dallas, however, was beige. So when we got ready to get our daughter a dog I called Adopt-a-Dog and asked for a Golden Retriever or Lab mix puppy. While I was on the phone a woman called them on another line. She had a two year-old purebred yellow Lab she couldn't keep. I went first to the Adopt-a-Dog shelter and saw the pups, but when I went to this woman's house, I had no choice but to take Biscuit. She couldn't *wait* to get rid of him and he was maniacal! He drooled on me all the way home while standing in front, helping me drive. For over an hour.

Biscuit, it turned out, was incorrigible. For one thing he bit anyone who dared to come onto our front porch. We had to invest $85 an hour in a trainer for our "free" dog. But he was clearly meant to be ours. We know. My husband forced me to call everyone I knew to try to get rid of him, but we couldn't. Finally someone called and said, "Did you find a good home for the dog?' and I said, "Yes. Ours." And so we grew to love him...very much in spite of himself. He is a lot like Mudge in the Henry and Mudge books (which *all* dog lovers must read).

Our daughter is adopted. After Biscuit we realized that the only way anyone can enter our family is through adoption ;-).

Deborah

reena

Ideal_Rock
ohhhhhh man ... this thread just brought me to tears. when i hear sad stories like this about people losing their pets it just kills me, more than anything else. my heart just aches for you guys. i can''t imagine what a wreck i''ll be when the time comes for velt and soph--they''re only 3 but the years go so fast. i''m so sorry to hear about everyone''s losses.
7.gif

jenn--those pictures of little elmo pained my heart. poor baby! good thing he has you taking such good care of him.

7.gif
i''m sad now. must go find my pups and hug them.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2004 10:31:23 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 11/21/2004 8:22:19 PM

PS ADOPT A PET! TO PREVENT NEEDLESS EUTHANASIA!

My daughter wanted to have a dog, ''just like Dallas''. Dallas was a dog of indeterminate origin who lived down the street from my mother. No one could have replicated Dallas if he tried! Dallas, however, was beige. So when we got ready to get our daughter a dog I called Adopt-a-Dog and asked for a Golden Retriever or Lab mix puppy. While I was on the phone a woman called them on another line. She had a two year-old purebred yellow Lab she couldn''t keep. I went first to the Adopt-a-Dog shelter and saw the pups, but when I went to this woman''s house, I had no choice but to take Biscuit. She couldn''t *wait* to get rid of him and he was maniacal! He drooled on me all the way home while standing in front, helping me drive. For over an hour.

Biscuit, it turned out, was incorrigible. For one thing he bit anyone who dared to come onto our front porch. We had to invest $85 an hour in a trainer for our ''free'' dog. But he was clearly meant to be ours. We know. My husband forced me to call everyone I knew to try to get rid of him, but we couldn''t. Finally someone called and said, ''Did you find a good home for the dog?'' and I said, ''Yes. Ours.'' And so we grew to love him...very much in spiteof himself. he is a lot like Mudge in the Henry and Mudge books (which *all* dog lovers must read).

Our daughter is adopted. We decided that the only way anyone can enter our family is through adoption ;-).

Deborah

OMG, Deborah--I drove 2 hours to pick up Elmo in the pouring rain from the rescue lady''s house. he sat on my lap and panted the entire time. Well, he was a nut when we got him home--severe separation anxiety. We tried the crate--forget it. he was a canine Houdini...I was afraid he''d break his neck. Then, he started chewing his paws until they bled. then, every time we left, he screamed. he screamed when we weren''t home and set off the alarm system (glass breakers are very sensitive--his shrilling set them off). We got fined from the town police dept they were there so many times. Leaving the house was a four-alarm emergency. I cried all day at work. After 3 weeks of this, I called the rescue lady and said I didn''t know if I could handle it and she begged me to hang on. Her exact words were, "I know that if you give up now, you''ll miss out on a great dog. Hang on!" We did--and the rest is history. We did intensive training with him--we''d leave the house for 1 min, then come in. Then, 5 minutes, then 10, and so on until we got up to an hour. thee neighbors must have thought we were on crack--we kept going in and out of the house like this for weeks on the weekends and vacation days we took (yes--for the dog). Thank God my older one is just a snuggle blob who could care less about all the fuss. he''s just look at us with an expression that said, "I never really asked for a brother...?"
33.gif

They are SO WORTH IT! Thank you for hanging in there with Biscuit--he was meant for you and no one else!
1.gif
9.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Thank God my older one is just a snuggle blob who could care less about all the fuss. he''s just look at us with an expression that said, ''I never really asked for a brother...?
33.gif

They are SO WORTH IT! Thank you for hanging in there with Biscuit--he was meant for you and no one else!
1.gif
9.gif
HIhii! I can just see his expression! Kinda like in Garfield the movie. Yes they are worth every penny and every worry. Every bad day is rewarded with a lifetime of love than only an animal could give! MUST KISS DOG''s NOSE AGAIN!!!

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Your storys are all so sweet! Like your dog Biscuit, our 2nd pet was the wild one! She was chewing everything up, running off, and a ADHD DOG! I was thinking what have I gotten myself into! My daughter wanted a pet of her own, and I think kids need a buddy of their own, shes an only child besides the fur children, and when her pals can''t play she gets bored with us! I know what you mean when you say they were meant for you, I know for a fact these two were meant for my family after we were so sad of the deaths of our pets that we had for years, infact my baby was the runt of her litter. Sometimes you dont plan to get a pet and they find you! I wish everyone would adopt these pets, I read today in the paper the stats of the humane society in my area and it was sad. I would adopt more if I could.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
lol--Here is the look! Poor Freddy!
9.gif

freddy.huh.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Henry and Mudge

Cynthia Rylant has written a lot of great books. I like "The Book Shop Dog" a lot. But her "Henry and Mudge" books are my favorites. (The "Mr. Putter and Tabby" books are close runners up!) In "Bed Time Thumps" Henry and Mudge go to visit Henry''s grandmother. She loves Mudge even though he drools on her, but when his tail keeps knocking over things in her house, Henry''s father banishes Mudge to the outdoors. How can Henry sleep? There are noises...and a giant moth!!! So Henry decides to join Mudge on the porch and when the giant moth comes along, Mudge eats it.

Treat yourself if you don''t already know these books!!

Deborah :)

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to post my photos, and I cannot get them to load. Will someone please help me out, if I email them to you, would you please post them? I greatly appreciate it!

Lori

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the kind words. Someone asked me one day if I had it to do all over again, knowing the pain I know now, would I get a dog? OF COURSE!! Dieter taught me soooo much about love and life, and the memories I have will last my life time. Our lives are so much richer because we had the opportunity to know him, he was truly a special little soul. I know there are some people who don't view animals this way, and that is too bad. When Dieter was 4 we adopted my girlfriend's ShihTzu, Chelsea, who was 3 at the time. They were quite the team and she has really felt the loss too. My husband and I visited one of the pet adoptions with Chelsea to see if she had any interest in another companion. She was more stressed than happy and we have decided she will get to be the "only child" until her time comes. So for now, it's just hubby, me and my girly and lots of memories of a really special miniature schnauzer
emlove.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Jennifer! Elmo's story is just like Biscuit's...only he suffered more than Biscuit did! Biscuit made everyone *around* him suffer (as did Elmo), but Biscuit was *always* happy. The stupid dog *LOVES* to go to the vet! No number of surgeries there deters him from thinking it's just a GREAT place to socialize! When I was growing up our spaniel had the sense to shake if she was in the car a *MILE* from the vet's!!! All I can say is that Biscuit is a very happy boy :). And Lori, do you have THREE dogs now? Is the ADHD one a beagle?

Deborah

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2004 10:57
6.gif
2 PM
Oh, Jennifer! Elmo's story is just like Biscuit's...only he suffered more than Biscuit did! Biscuit made everyone *around* him suffer (as did Elmo), but Biscuit was *always* happy. The stupid dog *LOVES* to go to the vet! No number of surgeries there deters him from thinking it's just a GREAT place to socialize! When I was growing up our spaniel had the sense to shake if she was in the car a *MILE* from the vet's!!! All I can say is that Biscuit is a very happy boy :). And Lori, do you have THREE dogs now? Is the ADHD one a beagle?

Deborah

LOL, Deb! You're a riot!
3.gif

PS And I didn't even mention the special code words and routine "mocking"...we'd get all dressed, coat, shoes and even pick up and jingle the car keys as if we were leaving but not go anywhere to "desensitize" Elmo to the act of us leaving the house.
37.gif
32.gif

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
The "ADHD" is a miniature beagle! No, my oldest passed in Jan. We have 2 beagles now. We call them the Beagle Brigade!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/21/2004 10:48:42 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
lol--Here is the look! Poor Freddy!
9.gif
Awwwwww... Freddy! God bless you for being such a good big brother!!!! Someone needs to give Freddy a treat-iiiiieeeee (as I refer to them for my baby) LOL!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
yellowfan, are you clicking all the buttons? the uploade and attach?
1.gif

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifer,

Can you see the photos? I think im doing it right.........I guess I need some pc lessons

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/21/2004 11
6.gif
6:48 PM
Author: Jennifer5973

PS And I didn''t even mention the special code words and routine ''mocking''...we''d get all dressed, coat, shoes and even pick up and jingle the car keys as if we were leaving but not go anywhere to ''desensitize'' Elmo to the act of us leaving the house.
37.gif
32.gif

I can just see the neighbors peering at you! LOL! "There goes that crazy diamond lady again dear "LOL!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I don''t understand what''s wrong? hit Browse, then upload....? and it should be loaded????

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/21/2004 10:57
6.gif
2 PM
Oh, Jennifer! Elmo''s story is just like Biscuit''s...only he suffered more than Biscuit did! Biscuit made everyone *around* him suffer (as did Elmo), but Biscuit was *always* happy. The stupid dog *LOVES* to go to the vet! No number of surgeries there deters him from thinking it''s just a GREAT place to socialize! When I was growing up our spaniel had the sense to shake if she was in the car a *MILE* from the vet''s!!! All I can say is that Biscuit is a very happy boy :). And Lori, do you have THREE dogs now? Is the ADHD one a beagle?

Deborah

Deborah...

Jack is *scared* of the vet. He has had some "butt" problems lately and everytime we go to the vet he *hides* under my legs. The only problem is that, well, he''s 95 lbs and I am about 140 or so....So who does he think he''s kidding LOL! It is the funniest thing. When the vet approaches, he burrows his head in my chest and actually attempts to crawl all the way up on my lap. It is soooo sad. However, when the vet takes her *white coat* off...he''s fine! What a goober!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2004 11:29:14 PM
Jennifer,

Can you see the photos? I think im doing it right.........I guess I need some pc lessons

Make sure that after you have uploaded you hit "close". That is what finally enabled me to post! Also be sure that your files are not over 1 kilobyte; that none of the names you are using for a photo is already on file;...and I forget what else!

Deb

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
UHHH! I give up. Can someone delete the posts that have no photos please! Will a kind person post my pics for me?

Thank you,

Lori

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I PM''d you.
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This blonde dog, Sugar, was Lori''s. She passed away shortly after the photograph was taken at age 17. I will post Lori''s other photos, but she will have to tell you who is who. They are all adorable!

LorisSugar.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is another of Lori''s pictures :).

Lori2.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2004 12:11:41 AM
This blonde dog, Sugar, was Lori''s. She passed away shortly after the photograph was taken at age 17. I will post Lori''s other photos, but she will have to tell you who is who. They are all adorable!
OMG. What an adorable sweetie pie. God rest her little spirit.
12.gif
Thanks for sharing her with us.
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tootsie is Lori''s larger beagle and Misti Rose is her smaller one. I love this shot!

Tootsie and Misti Rose.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
What dolls! Thanks, yellowfan.
1.gif
I waited up to see your babies. Now it''s time for me & Elmo to hit the aerobed.
37.gif

forthelove, where''s a picture of Jack? Did I miss it? (I am sleep deprived these days, you know...
19.gif
)
2.gif
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori's pup:

Loripup.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beagle in the daffodils. (Lori''s!)

daffodils.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bedtime!

bedtime.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a better size. I am assuming that this is a photo of Sugar. Lori?

SugarLori.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results