shape
carat
color
clarity

zultanite anyone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 10:58:50 PM
Author: rparker1998
thanks for the words of caution. I''ll utulize them. I don''t usually buy anything over 150.00 from Gems TV for what it''s worth. With the exception of my zultanite.

I''d love to go dig in a diamond mine all though i have t wonder what the average time it takes to find a diamond of gem quality/size to begin with to see if it''d reallly be worth the time/money spent to take a trip there....thoughts anyone.

If you love feelies, you should go shark tooth hunting...now that''s a feely. There''s a really nice beach here in the Jax area that has some really nice sharks teeth with little effort. Venice FL is also a sharks tooth capital of the US so I''ve read. anywho.
Sharks teeth are fun - I was brought up in Micronesia, so there were plenty of them around!

To be honest, don''t go fossicking if you would need to find something to offset the time, effort and cost - for me it''s the treasure hunt feel of it all, the chance to see some interesting geology and there is always the chance I will find something great.

The more I go, the less I find that is worth keeping though - mainly because you learn to discard things that you would have initially have kept. For example crystals that are waterworn or not in a pleasing group. However you do train your eyes to spot things that you wouldn''t normally notice - I''ve found some great fossils in people''s gravel driveways by having one eye permanently glued to the ground.
9.gif

If I was being paid by the hour for the time I have spent scrabbling over mine dumps in the pouring rain (things sparkle and stand out so much better when they''re wet), my finds would be worth many thousands - instead, most of them could be bought fairly cheaply! You have to do it just for the fun of it - and the satisfaction of knowing that your collection is all your own hard work!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Pandora..

Where in the Micronesia did you live? I''ve been in Palau, Yap, Saipan, Tinian, Rhoda (sp), and lived in Guam. But that was when I was young, but loved it. Especially Palau.

mimi

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2008 2:00:39 PM
Author: mochi
Pandora..

Where in the Micronesia did you live? I''ve been in Palau, Yap, Saipan, Tinian, Rhoda (sp), and lived in Guam. But that was when I was young, but loved it. Especially Palau.

mimi
I grew up on Tarawa in Kiribati. It was a British colony until 1979 and my father was employed by the government out there. Mad, crazy place - coming back to the UK when I was 9 in February in the snow was a huge shock and I was unimpressed to say the least!

I''ve not been to the Marianas, they were too far away, but I have been to Guam briefly.

Funnily enough, the friend of my father''s who I go rock-hunting with here in the UK was our next-door neighbour on the island. Not a lot of rocks out there - all coral, but a huge amount of ordnance due to the famous battle in WWII.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results