shape
carat
color
clarity

Zales Insurance Replacement Question from a Newb!

sac2013

Rough_Rock
I stumbled across this forum while researching diamonds, and everyone has such great information so I'm hoping you all can help me decide what to do!

Background: My husband purchased my engagement ring from Zales. I loved the ring. Ring was stolen. Police report filed, claim made,etc. However since we are AD military we had been living in Germany for the past 6 years and therefore had not been into a Zales store to find a replacement ring.

We just moved back to the States and received a settlement letter from Zales for the purchase amount since it had been over a year from the date of the claim approval.

I called the number on the letter and the woman I spoke to said that the settlement offer was incorrect and that I had another year to find a replacement ring. (She was quick to rescind the offer!)

My original ring is discontinued, and I don't like the rings they have now. There is an "online exclusive" that is okay but I'm not in love with it.

So should I go without a ring until June of next year to get my settlement amount back? Then buy/design a ring from a different retailer that I want?

Thanks for your input :)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd try calling again to get the value.

Q

Queenie60

Do you have to purchase from Zales? Can't you just take the insurance money and purchase a stone/ring from another vendor. I'm sure that you would be able to get better quality and just what you want if you purchase a stone and then have it set. Not sure how your insurance works so this is just my suggestion.

sac2013

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply.

The insurance is from Zales so I have to purchase from Zales or Grodon's. I wasn't aware that a cash settlement was an option until I got the letter in the mail, so now I'm wondering if I should wait for the payout and get another ring from somewhere else.

FYI the ring I originally had was a 2.5 CTW, H I1, 14k WG with a 1.2 C PR Center for $7199.99

Was that a fair deal? Or can I do better? :)

Q

Queenie60

It would be to your advantage to take the payout, do some research (I'm sure that some of the experience from the PS posters on this sight can help you with that one!) and try to find a better quality center stone with a setting that you like. On a worse case basis, you can always go back and purchase from Zales, I'm quite sure they will take your money! I have found that I get much better quality and custom made pieces by using online diamond vendors and having something made from the stone that I like. I am not well versed on choosing diamonds however am quite sure that you have more options by shopping online with JamesAlllen, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, etc. Good luck to you and I wish you well with your search.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results