#JOTW Yssie's new ring is HERE!!!! 2.7 three-stone in unplated wg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 8:21:59 PM
Author: yssie
Haha thanks for muddying the water MGR
3.gif

You make good points, though. Whatever I have on September5 will be my ''forever'' set - at least until/if the gold wears away enough to require a replacement... honestly, I''ve never been much of a sentimentalist but the idea of keeping my wedding set for years and years does make me smile
1.gif

IF we have WF make it it will definitely be engraved, that much I can say for sure!

Shiny - OCD, indeed! I didn''t know you''d chosen a pendant - congrats! That''s one of my favourite styles
36.gif

I think saving and looking without setting yourself any specific short-term ''goals'' is a great idea - you get to enjoy the hunt without the stress
1.gif
Thank you for so graciously listening to me!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
::HUGS:: MGR!
1.gif

Thank you sofly! WF did a fabulous job!

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie, I totally understand you not wanting to pay a third of the custom ring cost...I would have a hard time doing that too! Hopefully you can be ''satisfied'' with how your set currently looks, and see how you feel in September.

I''ve gone through 3 wedding bands already, if that makes any difference. The first was a custom channel-set band, but it ended up being a lot wider than I expected. But I can still wear it on days where I want to be fancy. For now I''m considering it to be my right-hand ring. Then there was the 2mm plain band that I thought was a match for my e-ring, until I realized that my e-ring was actually about 2.3mm at the widest point. I knew I wasn''t imagining that the 2mm band looked thinner! Luckily, my jeweler let me exchange that one for a 2.5mm band, since I never actually wore the 2mm band out in public. Unluckily, the price of palladium had gone up since I purchased the 2mm band, so I ended up having to pay 3 times as much. It sounds like a lot, but you know palladium isn''t as expensive as gold or platinum, so in the grand scheme of things, it was okay. I only wished that I had figured out I wanted a 2.5mm band before the price per ounce went up!

And yes, if I could figure out how to take pics like you, I''d have a lot more pics of my rings with all sorts of backgrounds. For now though, my current hobby is figuring out how to make my own table numbers and place cards for the reception.
41.gif

spicytuna

Rough_Rock
How did I miss this thread? Your collection of sparkles is so amazing...so classy! I can''t get enough of them!
30.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2010 11:12:25 PM
Author: sandyandisaac
Yssie, I totally understand you not wanting to pay a third of the custom ring cost...I would have a hard time doing that too! Hopefully you can be 'satisfied' with how your set currently looks, and see how you feel in September.

I've gone through 3 wedding bands already, if that makes any difference. The first was a custom channel-set band, but it ended up being a lot wider than I expected. But I can still wear it on days where I want to be fancy. For now I'm considering it to be my right-hand ring. Then there was the 2mm plain band that I thought was a match for my e-ring, until I realized that my e-ring was actually about 2.3mm at the widest point. I knew I wasn't imagining that the 2mm band looked thinner! Luckily, my jeweler let me exchange that one for a 2.5mm band, since I never actually wore the 2mm band out in public. Unluckily, the price of palladium had gone up since I purchased the 2mm band, so I ended up having to pay 3 times as much. It sounds like a lot, but you know palladium isn't as expensive as gold or platinum, so in the grand scheme of things, it was okay. I only wished that I had figured out I wanted a 2.5mm band before the price per ounce went up!

And yes, if I could figure out how to take pics like you, I'd have a lot more pics of my rings with all sorts of backgrounds. For now though, my current hobby is figuring out how to make my own table numbers and place cards for the reception.
41.gif
Ugh, that's quite the wb drama!
I went through three Erings to get to this one
20.gif
talk about fickleness (is that a word?). Fortunately I didn't believe myself when I first said "I'll never trade up" or this would've ended a long time ago - and I never would've had this oh-so-perfect set
7.gif
And hey, you got the perfect band, eventually, right?
5.gif
I know the feeling of wishing I'd gotten it right in some prior iteration, though.

And oh, I hear you on the DIY wedding stuff! We're hoping to finish our seating charts tonight, and since the invitations we had printed have the wrong ceremony time on them we (I) have to start over completely, since FI has no sense of colour or aesthetic, and completely unintelligible handwriting...
32.gif
14.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you spicy tuna!!

I'm hoping with lots of love and attention my collection of sparklies will grow up to be big and healthy like the PS queens'
3.gif
9.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
love the new additional photos!
30.gif

happy belated bday!

i''m not much help with the w-band dilemma. from the pics the e-wedding band looks great with your e-ring. if it costs so much to have one custom made right now, can you wait and have one done at a later time?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your ring would look amazing with a 2mm bead set diamond band
11.gif

I am sort of sentimental, but not abuut my wb surprisingly. I never wear it because it is too big to wear with my diamond band and currently sized too small to wear on my right hand... that is my next project, getting it sized up!

But I sort of agree with MGR. Painful as the outlay would be, you hemmorage money at a wedding anyways and you will not notice or remember the extra money spent in a year anyways
4.gif
Why not get what you really desire for this special and sentimental piece?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Milly
1.gif

dreamer - tempted as we''ve sometimes been, we''ve actually done quite well limiting the blood loss to expected quantities. Which is still a lot of blood, mind...

I''ve made a decision: we''ll wait until mid-August and see how I feel then. Bonus - I get to wear my wedding band around before the wedding, with legitimate cause
5.gif

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 1:01:28 PM
Author: yssie
I''ve made a decision: we''ll wait until mid-August and see how I feel then. Bonus - I get to wear my wedding band around before the wedding, with legitimate cause
5.gif

Sounds like a perfect decision! We''ll wait for your verdict in mid-August.
31.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Yssie''s new ring is HERE!!!! 2.7 three-stone in unplat

Hey Yssie -

I was showing your ring to someone and then looking on the WF website for it. Couple of questions - if you don't mind!

Why did you decide on the six prong center and three prong sides? It looks like the trellis setting on WF has four and four. It is a unique look but just wondering how you came to that configuration. . . and secondly, how large was your previous stone? Was it a J color as well? I'm sure this is all posted somewhere but we got too impatient to wait!

Today is August 1 too - soon time to make that wedding band decision! Ha!

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock

O M G!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! This is one very beautiful ring Yssie! You truly did "nail it" I'm so happy for you!!
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW! What a KNOCKOUT! It looks beautiful on you! I love the three prongs on the sidestones. So elegant and classic!! :love: :love: :love:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock

cushioncutnut said:
WOW! What a KNOCKOUT! It looks beautiful on you! I love the three prongs on the sidestones. So elegant and classic!! :love: :love: :love:

exactly what I want to say! So gorgeous. Great finger coverage. You carry it perfectly. Beeeeeeeeeuuuuuuutiful stones! :appl: :appl: :appl:

lulu

Ideal_Rock

I can't believe I missed this post. Your new ring is stunning!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock

Yssie,
Your new ring is HOT!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!
I must have missed the thread on the story behind it. It this an upgrade? You had a 3-stone ring? or do you still have it? Either way I am so happy for you! Your comibnation of bings is gorgeous!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MissGotRocks said:
Hey Yssie -

I was showing your ring to someone and then looking on the WF website for it. Couple of questions - if you don't mind!

Why did you decide on the six prong center and three prong sides? It looks like the trellis setting on WF has four and four. It is a unique look but just wondering how you came to that configuration. . . and secondly, how large was your previous stone? Was it a J color as well? I'm sure this is all posted somewhere but we got too impatient to wait!

Today is August 1 too - soon time to make that wedding band decision! Ha!

Haha do I mind? ::)

My first (well, second, but the first was poorly made and went back after two weeks) ring was actually the stock WF trellis. I liked it, but the more I wore it the more I knew my Dream Ring had some different elements.. That ring had a 1ct centre and 0.6ctw sides, and whilst the centre looked round, the four prongs around the sidestones made the smaller stones look very 'square' to me. I liked rings with RB centres and pear sides, but (this a bit hokey) somehow I enjoy the symmetry in having all three stones the same shape, so the pear-ing effect of three-pronged sidestones was a benefit.

I prefer 6+ prongs on RB solitaires for the most part, but I'd never seen a stock setting with a 6prong centre and 3prong sides, and I didn't have terribly strong feelings at the time, and I didn't think wanting three-pronged sides was worth going custom. I knew I wanted to size up my centre, and was making plans with WF to put the new stone (2ct I) into a modified stock trellis with the shank thinned out, when.. I found pictures of Vatche's Royal Crown on PS. And I fell in LOVE. My ring just had to have those swoopy prongs! Vatche does make a RC three-stone, but it has four-pronged sides.. and all of a sudden going custom was a fantastic idea 8)

My old stone (the 2ct I) was a - well, 2ct I :cheeky: it had a really high crown, though, and so faced up small - 8mm. I agonised over putting an I in platinum, and when I got it I adored the ring but didn't like how it looked on me - only after a couple of months did I figure out that the stone tint wasn't the problem, the setting was. I'd asked for the stone to be set as low to the finger as humanly possible, and then found I didn't like not being able to see the culet from the side, I'd been adamant about platinum, and then found that I didn't like the steely cold colour on my yellowy skin, I'd requested a 3mm wide shank, and then realised I wanted something closer to 2mm.

The ring had a pulled prong, I sent it back to WF, considered a reset whilst they had it in hand, decided that would be a waste of a perfectly good setting, looked at the current diamond offerings, and.. well, my 2ct had never looked "big" to me, and that it faced up smaller didn't help matters. We had the budget for an upgrade, and as FI was more interested in me getting my Dream Ring before we married than keeping any current incarnation, we settled on my current 2.7 :bigsmile: . My old plat setting was now unusable, so I had WF make the new ring with the changes I'd wanted - unplated wg for a little warmth, higher set stone, thinner shank. The old 2ct had 0.33ct sidestones, I used 0.43s for the new 2.7 to keep the same centre/sides proportions

The final product is perfect, WF did a really fabulous job and I couldn't be happier with it, two months later (haha two months, the test of time, right? But I will say that I have had no second thoughts/misgivings/longings for anything else, that I did notice surfaced at around the 1month mark with my old rings...) it's my forever ring, I'm sure of it!

And... I think the wedding band I have now is a keeper :)) I've been wearing them around together and I'm finding that I have to talk myself into being bothered by the difference in colour... for someone usually so - well, obsessive and nitpicky over the details, this is a nice surprise! In any case FI and I have decided that if those feelings change we'll just get the matching band from WF for a significant anni, so no terrible hardship :halo:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks vbnet, ccn, missydebby, lulu, and again zhu! The epic I just wrote has the upgrade saga :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for taking the time for your response. I knew I could see differences in the two settings. The one with the two carat stone looked a little more 'squishy' - if that makes any sense. Perhaps the real difference lies in the center stone being set higher in the new ring. My friend is looking for a three stone ring and I'm always on the hunt for a different setting as well. My current setting is by PrecisionSet. When I got it, I had a two carat stone in it. The sidestones are .33 each. When I upgraded to the 2.22 (8.45 mm) they used the same setting but put a new head on. I always felt that it probably should have gone back to PS for a complete redo but I was so anxious to wear it that I let the jeweler switch out the head. I saw the rep from PrecisionSet one time and explained it to him and he said they would take it back and adjust it but you were just talking about small nuance differences. I just figured it was fine for now and if I were to ever change mountings, I'd get something that a) wasn't flushfit and b) had some different prong configurations. I love how six prongs (to my eye anyway) make the stone look rounder and larger. The fear is that you'll have a tangle of prongs that just encompass everything in metal. You've shown that that's not the case. So funny that you mention the Vatche RC setting; that's the one that my friend really loves.

Your ring is just beautiful and I am so happy for you. To have gotten it perfect and forever on the second try is just outstanding. Thanks again for sharing your story - it all makes so much sense to me now!

Good for you on the wedding band too - if you're happy with it that's all that matters!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for your kind words MGR :))

I think you're right, stone height makes the biggest difference. The new setting is more "open", and the extra height lets me get underneath to clean with a q-tip or brush, which I can really appreciate.

Your ring is one of my favourites - it's a classic! I must have looked at it hundreds of times when I was contemplating my upgrade, and hundreds of times since the centre/side proportions are exactly the sort I love. And I must say, I completely understand just wanting it back on your finger - if there had been any way my old setting could have been adjusted for the new stone I'd have had WF do that, and just got it back to me quickly, all other desires aside!

I was concerned about the 6 prongs being too much for the stone, especially in combo with the sides being covered by the sidestones, but it's actually not an issue at all IRL, though I would probably hesitate with a 6mm stone, say..

I hope your friend finds something she loves, and if you one day decide to reset you'll post about it here in intricate detail so we can share ::)

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Yssie, I still love your ring! :love: :love: :love:

And I don't blame you for loving the Vatche RC. I have my Eightstar in that same setting and even though it's not an engagement ring for me I have no screaming desire to reset it.... At least not yet. :naughty:

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock

Stunning!!! What coverage! Absolutely lovely!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Andelain said:

And I don't blame you for loving the Vatche RC. I have my Eightstar in that same setting and even though it's not an engagement ring for me I have no screaming desire to reset it.... At least not yet. :naughty:

Thanks Ande!!

And I know, and I covet, and you'd better not! :devil:

So, what's next on your to-do list? When does the pendant come in?

Thank you trill :bigsmile:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie said:
Thank you for your kind words MGR :))

I think you're right, stone height makes the biggest difference. The new setting is more "open", and the extra height lets me get underneath to clean with a q-tip or brush, which I can really appreciate.

Your ring is one of my favourites - it's a classic! I must have looked at it hundreds of times when I was contemplating my upgrade, and hundreds of times since the centre/side proportions are exactly the sort I love. And I must say, I completely understand just wanting it back on your finger - if there had been any way my old setting could have been adjusted for the new stone I'd have had WF do that, and just got it back to me quickly, all other desires aside!

I was concerned about the 6 prongs being too much for the stone, especially in combo with the sides being covered by the sidestones, but it's actually not an issue at all IRL, though I would probably hesitate with a 6mm stone, say..

I hope your friend finds something she loves, and if you one day decide to reset you'll post about it here in intricate detail so we can share ::)

And thank you for the lovely compliment on my ring - I'm forever looking for a change but always think maybe I should leave well enough alone. You can bet though that it I do make a change, I'll share the whole saga! My friend is not a PS member but if she decides on something, I'll try to be a good PSer and get pics!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

Yssie said:
Andelain said:

Thanks Ande!!

And I know, and I covet, and you'd better not! :devil:

I may put it into something completely custom eventually, but it'll be a while.

P. S. You're not the only person who wants that Eightstar, I'm surprised it sat at JbEG as long as it did. 8)

Yssie said:
So, what's next on your to-do list? When does the pendant come in?

I don't know what's next after the pendant, but it can't get here fast enough! :cheeky:

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock

I don't usually like 3 stone rings, but yours is absolutely breathtaking!! I LOVE it!! :love: :love:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock

That is ridiculously beautiful.

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock

How did I miss this ring before? Congrats, it is simply breathaking and stunning! And smart of you to get unplated WG, it will be so low maintenance too!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

beautiful! :love:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

How in the WORLD did I miss this thread? My only excuse is the end of the school year, but reallly, that's no excuse! Yssie, your ring is stunning. I've been kicking myself off and on this past year for not looking into unplated gold when I reset my stone. Now I'm thinking three-stone, too. Hmmm. May have to vist my jeweler again. Somebody hold me back...

Anyway, enjoy your amazing ring and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results