shape
carat
color
clarity

Yssie....are you saying you use Acetone

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
to clean all your jewelry? Diamonds, gemstones? And what about gold or platinum....will it hurt these metals?
35.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wipes the floor and shines the shoes!
31.gif

1.gif
No, just my diamonds and sapphires. I've been using it religiously on any and all metals for years and it's never done anything, but I've never particularly cared if the plating wore off anything so that wasn't a deterrant. It's only mildly acidic so it shouldn't hurt metal... in another thread this morning denverappraiser confirmed that it won't wear rhodium away.

I would not use it for softer gemstones (I don't know much but the CS regulars could likely tell you!), definitely not for pearls. I love that it evaporates without leaving any water marks or spots at all, and you don't have to blowdry or wriggle bits of papertowel around..

Actually, if you want to try something really gross but satisfying try cleaning your (plain metal) house keys. The first time I cleaned FI's I was completely disgusted, they were filthy
14.gif
Now I drop them into a bowl of acetone every night too, and leave it by a window so the fumes are exhausted.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
And do you get this from Home Depot? or somewhere special?
Nice to know as I will be getting me some to use on my diamonds and sapphires....
Thanks for the tip!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Home depot
1.gif

ETA use gloves and use it outside, the stuff is easily absorbed through the skin and the fumes are potent. I know it's safe for diamonds, I assume it's safe for sapphires from my personal experiences but I've never actually confirmed this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to work at a place that used acetone and isopropyl alcohol as a cleaning solvents.

Acetone was much more powerful but since it, and its fumes, are much more hazardous they advised to minimize it's use, wear gloves and do not breath fumes.
IIRC it builds up in your kidneys after long term contact with the skin.

Link to safety info.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me thinks I will not be using acetone now
4.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 3:47:34 PM
Author: kenny
I used to work at a place that used acetone and isopropyl alcohol as a cleaning solvents.

Acetone was much more powerful but since it, and its fumes, are much more hazardous they advised to minimize it's use, wear gloves and do not breath fumes.

Link to safety info.
Yes - FI often sends his undergrads to clean parts for his rig (mechE grad) and they have to basically suit up first. Gloves and outdoors are musts.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2010 4:09:21 PM
Author: yssie

Date: 5/27/2010 3:47:34 PM
Author: kenny

Acetone was much more powerful but since it, and its fumes, are much more hazardous they advised to minimize it''s use, wear gloves and do not breath fumes.

Link to safety info.
Yes - FI often sends his undergrads to clean parts for his rig (mechE grad) and they have to basically suit up first. Gloves and outdoors are musts.
Do you take your jewelry outside to clean it?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 4:12:13 PM
Author: Taylorbug!

Yes, you really have to ETA: with acetone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2010 4:12:13 PM
Author: Taylorbug!

Personally I use Isopropyl alcohol, so no.

On the rare occasions I need to use acetone one something, yes, I absolutely use it only outside and wear latex gloves.
I think many women have just gotten used to it because it is the main ingredient in nail polish remover, but acetone is really quite nasty stuff.

Another reason I'll only use acetone outside is we have a parrot and birds are very sensitive to chemical fumes.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: quick threadjack-
Kenny, you have a parrot? I want a parrot!

FI thinks it's a bad idea with the cats. I can say with certainty that if we got a parrot anything like the rosella one of my neighbours had growing up, it's the cats that should be worried.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, I also think Parrots are more than a match for cats.

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
When you say "acetone", what do you mean?
I use acetone as nail polish, but maybe it is something differet.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yap, same thing. That acetone.

valchiria

Shiny_Rock
Ok, thank you.
I''ll try.
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Although you can buy in bulk/cheaper at Home Depot, I think paint department, than using nail polish remover. :razz:

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
so will nail polish remover.....the acetone type work to clean jewelry?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not really very well, at least not for most things. Dishwashing soap, a toothbrush and a little bit of elbow grease followed by a clean water rinse really seems to be about the best. Nail polish remover seems to leave a residue of the coloring and scent agents they put in the stuff. If you're cleaning off paint or something that soap won't touch, then go for the acetone.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
probably will work just as well unless there are other additives added in it.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Get 100% pure Acetone at the Local beauty supply store! It does clean jewelry amazingly clean!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results