shape
carat
color
clarity

Can acetone be used for cleaning platinum erings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

squirerad

Shiny_Rock
I know that many recommend using ammonia as a cleaning agent for jewelry, and it''s cheaper than isopropyl alcohol, but it just plain stanks and has a slimy feeling to it. I was wondering if anyone has used acetone (aka nail polish remover) to clean their jewelry. From my college days, I remember that acetone is an excellent solvent and cleaning agent, but have never heard it being used to clean jewelry.

squire

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Acetone seems like overkill to me, I don't think it will hurt the platinum & diamond but it can't be too good for humans ( I think many solvents are absorbed thru the skin)

Usually all you will need is a mild detergent, small brush and warm water.

Also, most B&M's are glad to clean & check your ring.

just-ice

Rough_Rock
I use windex...cleans great and is not harsh...

victorianblue

Rough_Rock
I would opt to find another method to clean your metal other than using Acetone. While acetone is not reactive to most metals, that does not mean that chemical could not cause undisireable changes in your metal.
I work with acetone with my pottery restoration and always cover the pewter and silver lids with parafin wax to protect them.

The properties of Acetone are potentially dangereous. For starts, it has a extremely low flashpoint--don't get this stuff anywhere near a pilot light or spark-poof goes your home!!!
Additionally, acetone is easliy absorbed into the skin and mucous membranes. When working with acetone, one should wear protective clothing,gloves and yes a respirator---that is if you want to save your neuro and vital organs. I know this sounds rather melodramatic, but this stuff is nasty and can be lethal. Additionally, the nail polish removers have other ingrediants that I don't think have be tested or verified as safe for cleaning metals & jewelry.

squirerad

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replys. I guess I better stick with regular old soap and warm water. Didn't realize the potential harm of acetone and its volatile properties.

squire

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Wow...I was going to comment that acetone has eaten through pretty much every fabric it's ever touched in my house, so I would prefer to keep it away from my ears. However, it sounds as if I need to keep it away from my lungs and brain as well!
eek.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Acetone is used in the rhodium plating process for every white / yellow gold oiece of jewellery except pearls (because you can not put pearls in the acidic rP bath)

Ammonia feels soapy slimy - that is good. If you want clean diamonds follow the directions in the engagement ring tutorial and suffer baby!

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
Your first step should be to plug the drain!!
6.gif
Then you could try toothpaste and an old toothbrush. Or dishwashing detergent diluted in water. Rubbing alcohol straight also works. Sonic cleaners are also terrific.

JoangA

Shiny_Rock
I've been using the mike steamer part of my Capresso coffee maker. It's just steam, of course I hold my ring or earrings with a pair of hemostats so as not to burn the fingers. I was going to return the machine until I discovered what a great cleaner it was. Now I make the coffee, then clean the ring. Very handy!

glitz&glam

Rough_Rock
That's wonderfully creative! Perk up yourself and then your diamond.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Steam is the best bet after ammonia and boiling water.
tTooth paste is a no no - it leaves a white film.
Alcohol must be pure and is usually not available - metho leaves a film.

jennifer1234

Rough_Rock
Hi , i recently bought hagerty jewelry cleaner and wanted to get your opinion on how safe it is to use on a platinum and diamond engagement ring. the specific amount of ammonia is not listed, and i was wondering if i should dilute the solution before using. thanks, jen

wanderlost

Shiny_Rock
I've been wondering for a while.... where can you buy an ultrasonic cleaner & what is the approximate cost? I understand that cleaning rings every night (in the u.sonic bath) will not harm them or cause a tension set to loosen.... is this true? thanks.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Hagerty cleaner (I think) It's the one with the pink solution? The solution should be diluted 7 to 1 according to the directions. Works great. I use a soft toothbrush to clean around the small stones. You should see the crud floating in the solution when I'm done. Especially from my earrings. Hairspray, mousse etc really gunk them up.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Wanderlost, my jewelry cleaner was 10 bucks at Wal-Mart. I don't use it every day. Maybe twice a month or so.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I also work at a dental office with a top of the line commercial ultrasonic cleaner. Around 800 bucks. Can't tell a bit of difference in how clean my rings are from it and my el-cheapo Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results