shape
carat
color
clarity

Your vote please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a little premature as I don't have the complete prices for these in yet... but thought I'd ask for your opinions anyway. Here is my current ring on my hand. Ring size is 6.

gypsy%20hands%20size.JPG

PLEASE, PLEASE don't hold back your opinions... your HONEST opinions are welcome 100% and I won't take offense to anything you say.

Here are the options: 1-- custom baguette halo. 2-- Richard Landi split shank with offset diamond. 3-- I'm driving you crazy and you just don't care.

Here's my blub about the baguette halo:

Plus side: It is unique and it makes my asscher look bigger, and I love the idea of a deco inspired setting for my asscher. Downside is: it's custom so it's not going to be perfect... especially since it's a difficult and 'groundbreaking' for Quest design. AND platinum is very expensive right now. And I'm afraid of not loving it because it's not my 'usual' style.

Here's the pic: please ignore the band pictured.

Gypsy%20Ring%20Perfect.jpg

Second is a Richard Landi setting I found at a local jeweler... he has it is stock so I would be paying last years platinum prices for it, getting the monster prongs slimmed down and adding pave to the prongs. My asscher would be set in it like a baseball diamond. Tim at GOG and Strm have both said that setting it this way will not be dangerous as my diamond is an asscher and has a thick girdle. It's about the same width as my current setting in total.

Here's my blurb:

Landi split shank will be unique with my asscher offset and it's not custom... I looked at it under a loop and it's flawless. With the designer doing the rest of the work to it... it's likely going to be perfect when it's done too and it's priced at 'last years' platinum prices so I feel like I'm getting a good deal. Downside is: Despite Tim and Storm's assurances I'm nervous about setting my diamond like that-- and I don't like it set 'normal' in the setting. ETA: This setting won't make my diamond look bigger and I've got DSS.

Here is the pic of it 'set' with a 8x8 CZ my asscher is 6 x 6.

1rl.JPG

Side view:

2rl.JPG

Hand shot:

3rl.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand your reservations about the baguette halo due to the fact Quest hasn't done one like it before. I'm sure they would do an excellent job but still it would be a leap of faith on your part. I do love the Landi setting, and it seems as you do too. So go with what YOU love.
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 9:26:04 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I understand your reservations about the baguette halo due to the fact Quest hasn''t done one like it before. I''m sure they would do an excellent job but still it would be a leap of faith on your part. I do love the Landi setting, and it seems as you do too. So go with what YOU love.
2.gif

Thank you Kaleigh that is great advice. I love the Landi. But I also love the fact that the halo would make this sucker look bigger. I''m getting DSS. I really am. My only worry about the Landi is... I''ll get it and still look at my hand and think... GROW DIAMOND GROW! And if the price difference is just a few hundred dollars...I''ll wish I''d gone with the halo. Does that make sense?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard Landi split shank

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I like the way the halo looks much better. But if you love the split shank, definitely go with that instead.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 9:36:03 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 6/28/2006 9:26:04 PM
I understand your reservations about the baguette halo due to the fact Quest hasn''t done one like it before. I''m sure they would do an excellent job but still it would be a leap of faith on your part. I do love the Landi setting, and it seems as you do too. So go with what YOU love.
2.gif

Thank you Kaleigh that is great advice. I love the Landi. But I also love the fact that the halo would make this sucker look bigger. I''m getting DSS. I really am. My only worry about the Landi is... I''ll get it and still look at my hand and think... GROW DIAMOND GROW! And if the price difference is just a few hundred dollars...I''ll wish I''d gone with the halo. Does that make sense?
Makes perfect sense to me. My asscher was tiny but with the Halo is looks huge, and everyone that has seen it is floored that my asscher is only .92. So, wait for the quote from Quest and have a long chat with Pete. I know they can do this for you but can see why you are hesitant as well. If he comes back with a good quote, I''d go for it. My halo ring although less complicated than what you are contemplating was the first one of it''s kind that they did.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 9:46:16 PM
Makes perfect sense to me. My asscher was tiny but with the Halo is looks huge, and everyone that has seen it is floored that my asscher is only .92. So, wait for the quote from Quest and have a long chat with Pete. I know they can do this for you but can see why you are hesitant as well. If he comes back with a good quote, I''d go for it. My halo ring although less complicated than what you are contemplating was the first one of it''s kind that they did.

Yours is a DanielK inspired 3 sided pave. I don''t think it''s less complicated as a first project at all. And knowing that it was a first for them sets my mind at ease quite a bit. I didn''t know that. Thanks, that was great information.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Halo.

The Landi has too many negatives for me:
1) DSS
2) not appreciably different enough from your current ring
3) risk that adding pave to prongs won''t look good (be perfect)
4) risk of damage to stone in day to day use
5) offset may be unique but isn''t aesthetically appealling to me
6) once you add pave to prongs its hard to tighten prongs, at least if pave is on tops
7) not drawn in by "last years" platinum prices story. It''s an expensive setting bottom line, who cares if its more to purchase fresh now ... doesn''t seem like true savings -- just LESS retail markup percentage-wise than usual B&M.
8) hard to really visualize final product with a 6x6 stone using the 8x8 pix

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the halo will alleviate any DSS you may suffer from. I know mine has. I love that baguette halo design. It''s so unique.

BUT, I also love the Richard Landi setting with your asscher set at an angle. It''s so different. I would also be nervous about the corners being exposed, though. But I''ve noticed on other threads, you really like that pave split-shank look.

This is a tough decision. Good luck! (That ring looks lovely on your hand, by the way. Nice nails!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 9:58:38 PM
Author: lizz

(That ring looks lovely on your hand, by the way. Nice nails!)
Thank you lizz! The nails are a neccesity. I''m an incurable nail bitter and my fingers are stubby, bloody messes without them... but I''m constantly worried that they look tacky.
20.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~My vote is for the halo. When I first looked at it, I thought "Wow! That''s a huge asscher", then I saw that it was a halo. I literally had to STARE at the picture to differentiate between the baguettes and the asscher. I LOVE it!!!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh... what is the MM size on your asscher, if you don''t mind my asking? And what sized fingers do you have? I want to take a look at your setting (I know where the pics are
2.gif
) and try to get a feel for what it''s going to be like on my finger.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to go find the paper work but it''s a size 5. Be back in a sec Gypsy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the measurements:
5.84mm long by 5.82mm wide by 3.5 mm deep
.92 E VS1
Hope that helps
1.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the halo - love that look!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 10:26:22 PM
Here are the measurements:
5.84mm long by 5.82mm wide by 3.5 mm deep
.92 E VS1
Hope that helps
1.gif
That''s a nice spread! It''s, in effect, the same as my 1.09 at 5.86 x 5.87! Okay. So it''s official. I''ve got DSS and I''ve got it bad.

Gonna go and look at your halo again now. Not that it''s a hardship...lol. Honestly if my mother didn''t have a pave halo... at this point I''d get the Leon Pave halo-- cost less than both of these settings (one sided pave, though) and gives me a bigger look. And it''d be sparkly. REALLY sparkly.

THANK YOU AGAIN KALEIGH!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
I like the halo. I love your split shank, but I would rather see the stone set without being angled... Sorry, I''m not technical at the moment...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Storm helped me pick it. He said what a great spread it had and when I got it from GOG I was really amazed. So adding a halo to it makes it look really big. Even though it''s a RHR no DSS has set in!!
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 10:39:36 PM
Storm helped me pick it. He said what a great spread it had and when I got it from GOG I was really amazed. So adding a halo to it makes it look really big. Even though it''s a RHR no DSS has set in!!
36.gif

Storm. I swear if I win the lottery I''m gonna bribe that man to pick out an asscher for me. What for? I don''t know... I just want a Storm picked asscher, darnit!

And I can TOTALLY see why DSS hasn''t kicked in yet. This baby is huge! I LOVE THAT! Without you having to run and get anything further (sorry I had no idea you''d have to run about for the numbers-- I''m crazy as I''ve got mine memorized) -- do you know about how thick your shank is? Just a guess is fine. I told quest I wanted 1.7-- but I''m doubting that now.

ff555.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 10:47:44 PM

Date: 6/28/2006 10:39:36 PM
36.gif

Storm. I swear if I win the lottery I''m gonna bribe that man to pick out an asscher for me. What for? I don''t know... I just want a Storm picked asscher, darnit!

And I can TOTALLY see why DSS hasn''t kicked in yet. This baby is huge! I LOVE THAT! Without you having to run and get anything further (sorry I had no idea you''d have to run about for the numbers-- I''m crazy as I''ve got mine memorized) -- do you know about how thick your shank is? Just a guess is fine. I told quest I wanted 1.7-- but I''m doubting that now.

ff555.JPG
hehe, that is Nan wearing my ring. She picked it up from Quest for me, and I got it when I visited her and Angello in the hospital. I believe the shank is 2mm?? Not positive but Quest would have that info I would think??

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well...why don''t you combine what you love about both rings into one. I love the halo idea so mix that with a split shank (from Quest).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2mm... that''s what I was guessing. I''ll ask... but it''s not vital. I was just afraid that 2mm was going to be too thick. But I think that it will be great. Will have to tell them that... although really, with the price of platinum these days... the less I use the better...lol.

I''m kinda sad. I really love that Richard Landi split shank. If only my asscher were bigger.... DSS is a BAD thing.
7.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 11:02:49 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Well...why don't you combine what you love about both rings into one. I love the halo idea so mix that with a split shank (from Quest).

Uh oh.

ETA: Have I mentioned that Tawn's unpaved split shanks with the pave halo is one of my favorite round rings on here?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
for the love of god woman, how many threads is this?

i''m getting deja vu...

#3.

just kidding. i still vote for #1. OVER AND OVER.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 11:08:21 PM
Author: Mara

i''m getting deja vu...

#3.

I put number in there specifically for you Mara, and Kaleigh, AND Mssalvo... cause you all seem to be the most afflicted by my frequent indecisive thread posting. hehehehehe

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 11:06:40 PM
Date: 6/28/2006 11:02:49 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Well...why don''t you combine what you love about both rings into one. I love the halo idea so mix that with a split shank (from Quest).

Uh oh.

ETA: Have I mentioned that Tawn''s unpaved split shanks with the pave halo is one of my favorite round rings on here?

You could even off set the halo....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 11:10:46 PM

Date: 6/28/2006 11:08:21 PM

i''m getting deja vu...

#3.

I put number in there specifically for you Mara, and Kaleigh, AND Mssalvo... cause you all seem to be the most afflicted by my frequent indecisive thread posting. hehehehehe
well how can we escape?
9.gif
rockytalky, hangout, have you posted in SMTR yet? next it will be colored stones.

am i on crack or did you not just say in another thread that this project wouldn''t even be happening for a while due to budget? why drive yourself (and us) nutso right now? hehee.

the funny thing about PS is that i have never seen so many OCD women in my life. myself included!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 11:13:22 PM

well how can we escape?
9.gif
rockytalky, hangout, have you posted in SMTR yet? next it will be colored stones.

am i on crack or did you not just say in another thread that this project wouldn't even be happening for a while due to budget? why drive yourself (and us) nutso right now? hehee.

the funny thing about PS is that i have never seen so many OCD women in my life. myself included!

No *ducks head in shame* not on SMTR... yet.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeelll... about the budget thing... DF and I talked about that after I talked to GOG today... and because of the price hike... and the fact that this ONE ring is available for 1100 less than a new one... AND the fact that I am now dead set against ANY receptions at all (therefore no deposit money needed) although he still is uncertain... we said that FOR THAT ONE setting I'd go ahead with it now. Which is why I posted this see???
9.gif

It's all very reasonable... IF buying the one this week was a possibility, I needed to know for sure now.

You buying it?
Cause if you're not... I'll just cop to the OCD and be done with it. LOL.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I think something like kaleigh''s ring would be perfect. It''s got a antique feel and would give the added umph you''re wanting. I know your mom has a halo but rounds in a halo look completely different to me than asschers in a halo. I think you should get what you want. does it really matter that much what your mom has? she lives on the other side of the country right? so it''s not like you''d be running in the same social circles where anyone would really notice? I''d get what I wanted and not care at all if my mom had it already. Did you ever read any old threads of Reena''s? she has a cushion halo made by Leon, I''m sure you''ve seen it. Well last year her mom joined PS to share she was having Leon make her a new setting doing a halo with her round. We never saw the finished product but no doubt it turned out beautifully. are their rings similar? sure and they even have the same artist who made them but they don''t look alike. I don''t think a leon ring for you would look anything like your mom''s
2.gif

if I must choose from your current list I''d go with the bag. halo from quest just to get the added visual size impact. I like the landi but not loving setting it like a baseball diamond, plus I think those split shank/crowns won''t make your stone look any bigger, possibly smaller b/c it gives the illusion of a wider band if that makes sense.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol girl, admit it...i am gypsy and i am a PS OCD card carrying member.

but sweet if you are able to get it very soon!

#1! i honestly think that the 6x6 asscher needs some sort of oomphy kind of halo. thang.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results