shape
carat
color
clarity

Your views on this Diamond please - is a triple excellent diamond but has me worried

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree looks like a different diamond. In addition to what is discussed, the inclusion by 5:30 arrow is no longer visible on the second image. The first image has much more prominent contrast points and seems a little less painted than the second diamond.

WorriedAboutImage

Rough_Rock
Just called the vendor again - he mentioned he did the IS image and the second one is the one that is likely correct.

Given the diamond is ~$6k AUD is the stone something within expectations?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just called the vendor again - he mentioned he did the IS image and the second one is the one that is likely correct.

Given the diamond is ~$6k AUD is the stone something within expectations?

At this point, get the deposit back and find a new vendor.
He has provided you with wrong images couple times, which, should not happen, but happens time to time when you deal with so many listings, products and images.

Now, the vendor was givrn another chance to double check the listing, related documents and photos. He failed. He does not know how to assess diamonds and images. There is no guarantee that this vendor is capablenof shipping the correct diamond.

WorriedAboutImage

Rough_Rock
At this point, get the deposit back and find a new vendor.
He has provided you with wrong images couple times, which, should not happen, but happens time to time when you deal with so many listings, products and images.

Now, the vendor was givrn another chance to double check the listing, related documents and photos. He failed. He does not know how to assess diamonds and images. There is no guarantee that this vendor is capablenof shipping the correct diamond.

Thanks FlyingPig. What is normal procedure to claim back my deposit (what generally happens at other vendors)? Just wanting to know what is normal in terms of what a deposit should cover.

The vendor has in their return policy that once they call in an international diamond, the deposit is lost to cover shipping + insurance. I am guessing they will not refund the deposit and I will need to initiate a chargeback if I go down this route.

Also, I am thinking this vendor is one of the cheapest online wholesalers in Aus, if he is able to ship the correct diamond is this diamond something a normal triple excellent looks like?

Thank you all for the help so far.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks FlyingPig. What is normal procedure to claim back my deposit (what generally happens at other vendors)? Just wanting to know what is normal in terms of what a deposit should cover.

The vendor has in their return policy that once they call in an international diamond, the deposit is lost to cover shipping + insurance. I am guessing they will not refund the deposit and I will need to initiate a chargeback if I go down this route.

Also, I am thinking this vendor is one of the cheapest online wholesalers in Aus, if he is able to ship the correct diamond is this diamond something a normal triple excellent looks like?

Thank you all for the help so far.
Unfortunately if that is their policy then you will likely lose the deposit :(

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the GIA number or report?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to find the diamond in other vendors' database to get more information and photos; no luck.

Talking about the diamond itself (mostly positive)
  • it is reasonably priced
  • Recently graded
  • I do not know which IS is the correct one. Regardless, 57/35/40.8 should perform decently and about "Tiffany" quality at least
The question is how trustworthy this vendor is. Just proceed with caution. Are you buying the diamond mounted? Prong setting? If so, ask the vendor to mount the diamond so that the GIA inscription is visible for verification. And upload the photo of the ring/diamond here when you get it.

In the future, never ever buy from a vendor that requires any deposit. If possible, try to get the deposit back and start new.

WorriedAboutImage

Rough_Rock
I tried to find the diamond in other vendors' database to get more information and photos; no luck.

Talking about the diamond itself (mostly positive)
  • it is reasonably priced
  • Recently graded
  • I do not know which IS is the correct one. Regardless, 57/35/40.8 should perform decently and about "Tiffany" quality at least
The question is how trustworthy this vendor is. Just proceed with caution. Are you buying the diamond mounted? Prong setting? If so, ask the vendor to mount the diamond so that the GIA inscription is visible for verification. And upload the photo of the ring/diamond here when you get it.

In the future, never ever buy from a vendor that requires any deposit. If possible, try to get the deposit back and start new.

thank you so much, good to have another opinion! its coming as a single diamond - we haven't decided on the ring yet, partner wants to be sure of the diamond first. Thank you for the advice.

WorriedAboutImage

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I've come across another Dilemma I could use an opinion on. I asked the vendor for a front on image of the diamond - like you would see on other jewelry stores/ diamond wholesalers and confirmation of which IS image is correct in email.

The vendor has responded saying he can't provide anymore meaningful images and didn't confirm the IS image which I have taken as avoidance of providing what I thought was a very standard request.

In a worst case scenario after the purchase I would assume I could receive the diamond to check the GIA inscription and if it is not the diamond I ordered to do a charge back - anyone have thoughts on my current situation?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, I've come across another Dilemma I could use an opinion on. I asked the vendor for a front on image of the diamond - like you would see on other jewelry stores/ diamond wholesalers and confirmation of which IS image is correct in email.

The vendor has responded saying he can't provide anymore meaningful images and didn't confirm the IS image which I have taken as avoidance of providing what I thought was a very standard request.

In a worst case scenario after the purchase I would assume I could receive the diamond to check the GIA inscription and if it is not the diamond I ordered to do a charge back - anyone have thoughts on my current situation?

I would not want to work with this vendor and would cut my losses and move on.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How much is your deposit? If you can take the hit, as painful as it may be, do it and move on. Something feels shady...

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is hard.

Based on vendor's responses, I SUSPECT he does not have the stone on hand. He got those images from the supplier and is just giving you an impression he has it, to withhold the deposit when there was no insurance/shipping expense incurred to begin with.

Now, if you choose to proceed, do you believe this vendor will make return process easy? Or give you hard time? Does the vendor have a good upgrade policy that they are actually going to honour? Or will you go thru the same difficulty you are having?

I have dealt with some bad vendors. I have never seen non-refundable deposit, asking the customer to cover shipping and insurance. That is a big red flag.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is hard.

Based on vendor's responses, I SUSPECT he does not have the stone on hand. He got those images from the supplier and is just giving you an impression he has it, to withhold the deposit when there was no insurance/shipping expense incurred to begin with.

Now, if you choose to proceed, do you believe this vendor will make return process easy? Or give you hard time? Does the vendor have a good upgrade policy that they are actually going to honour? Or will you go thru the same difficulty you are having?

I have dealt with some bad vendors. I have never seen non-refundable deposit, asking the customer to cover shipping and insurance. That is a big red flag.
this!

WorriedAboutImage

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your opinion. I apologize for reaching out for another opinion, but vendor had responded to my email from yesterday and posted frontal image.

Again he didn't confirm which IS scope. Looking for opinions on why I should avoid the vendor based on image below. This is gonna be the last attempt from me.

Poor image but may have been taken on his phone, my concern is the slight yellowish tint and what appears to be strong fluorescence? (Or reflection of the blue background). Anyone have any views on what this is? My diamond is D in colour with faint flourescence. 1615451400918_20210311_153819.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all for your opinion. I apologize for reaching out for another opinion, but vendor had responded to my email from yesterday and posted frontal image.

Again he didn't confirm which IS scope. Looking for opinions on why I should avoid the vendor based on image below. This is gonna be the last attempt from me.

Poor image but may have been taken on his phone, my concern is the slight yellowish tint and what appears to be strong fluorescence? (Or reflection of the blue background). Anyone have any views on what this is? My diamond is D in colour with faint flourescence. 1615451400918_20210311_153819.jpg

This pic is so bad it's hard to tell much of anything. You are seeing reflections from the blue background or the camera itself, but again this pic is atrocious.

TekTetLike

Rough_Rock
Hi All. Just wanted to get views on the following ideal scope images I took with phone camera. This is the diamond from the initial post which I have put an ideal scope over and on top of a lamp with a piece of paper covering.

My initial thoughts are that it has very good light return but some light leakage under the table. This diamond is around $6k Aus and I'm trying to identify if there are any major flaws that would not be expected of this price range (we can return but lose deposit). Thank you! IMG_20210316_173959~2.jpg IMG_20210316_173147~2.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TekTetLike If you start a new thread here on RT folks will be happy to help you ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results