shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts please

Mr_GL

Rough_Rock
Dear all,

I am struggling to decide if I should get a branded super ideal or a James true hearts as a gift for my mum. By the way, it is likely to be in a halo setting.

Here are the 2 stones.

Here are the specs for JA stone
Crown angle 34
Pavilion 40.8
Depth 60.6
Table 56

Both are quite similar in terms of price.

Appreciate your inputs!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obvious factors at play:

1. Color is very different. Most people would notice a G vs J color difference. Is your mom sensitive to color? Does she like warmer stones?

Also, keep in mind, color is a RANGE meaning you can have high, lows and mids that all get assigned a particular letter grade. So a high J may look almost like an I, whereas a low G may look almost like an H.

To make it a little more complex, the further down the color chain you go, the more variance there is in the range. For instance, G will have less variance than J.

2. Size is enough that it will be detectable with the naked eye. Ignore carat weight and look at dimensions/spread. The G measures at 5.77 x 5.75 vs the J that measures at 6.05 x 6.07. There is a difference of around 0.30mm.

3. Trade programs are very different with each vendor. JA requires you to spend 2x the original amount before upgrading. BGD requires you to spend at least $1 more, but requires you upgrade 2 of the following 3 C's: carat, color or clarity.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you seem to be open to alternatives, have you considered this:

WF ACA 0.765 H SI1 @ $3,061 wire

55.8 table, 61.2 depth, 34.8 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 77 LGF

Proportions are quite lovely. Smaller table and steep crown w/ very complimentary shallow pavilion will produce big fire.

Kind of an in between on color and size, while keeping you in the same dollar range. Also, WF has a much nicer upgrade program. Simply spend $1 and get full credit -- no other strings or requirements. Easy peasy.

WF ES 0.818 I SI1 @ $3,156 wire

56.2 table, 62 depth, 34.7 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 77 LGF

Again, great proportions that will produce big fire, as evidenced in the video.

This is still a little better color than the J but offers nearly the same size of the G, measuring in at 5.98 x 6.00. Maybe a nice go between on size & color.

FYI, the ES line is a "near miss" ACA. If you look on the ASET you will see some green on the edges and also one of the hearts is sligthtly not perfect. IMO, these small imperfections make it more comparable to standard JA TH quality. The ES will still be a performer in real life, saves a few bucks and gives you that great upgrade program plus superb customer service.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A final thought, you mentioned using a halo setting. Do you know the color of the melee stones yet? To avoid color clash, you'd want to get colors that play well together. And keep in mind, the melee stones are tiny in comparison and lower colors in smaller stones tend to look more white.

Mr_GL

Rough_Rock
@sledge Thank you for detailed analysis. Appreciate it.

It's a tough choice. I am still trying to convince myself to lower at least 2 grades in color ( G to I-J) and clarity ( VS2 to Vv2) for a slightly larger (5.75mm to 6mm ) super ideal stone.

Any opinion on the JA stone? Thank you in advance.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help you.

The JA stone proportions look inline and the hearts image looks pretty good. Also, the idealscope looks clean. My only concern is running the HCA you get a warning about the angles and size (bigger) combination makes it more suitable for earrings/pendants.

FYI, the depth measurement I had to guesstimate. We know that depth % is derived from dividing width by depth dimensions. The width is 5.76, which is the average between the 5.77 x 5.75 dimensions show on the JA site. And you indicated earlier depth is 60.6%. So working backwards and using some algebra, it appears depth is 3.49. If you have the cert, and actual number is different, then re-run the HCA but I doubt a few hundredths will make any difference.

InkedCapture100_LI.jpg

In regards to color, I can understand you dilemma. My wife and I prefer very white stones. I bought her a BGD H VS2 for her e-ring. Mostly, it's bright white, but at various angles, etc you do see a little tint. It's minimal and not bothersome, but we have decided that is our floor for personal purchases based on our own preferences. Keep in mind, part of us seeing the tint has to do with her setting that allows the pavilion of her stone to be easily visible. Some settings cover the pavilion more. And color is seen (and graded) from the side/pavilion of the diamond. So depending on your setting, you may have a different result.

FYI, her stone is 0.867ct so it's not much larger than what you are looking at.

As far as clarity, I think VVS2 is overkill. In this size range, I'd recommend a good eye clean SI1 or VS2. The stones from BGD and WF fit the bill perfectly in this regards, allowing you to maximize your dollars without overpaying for something the naked eye can't appreciate.

All the above in mind, I'd probably be leaning towards the WF 0.765 H SI1 myself. If you are concerned about color between G & H, I'd ask WF to compare this stone against a similar to G to see how it compares. They will make you comparison photos and videos (if asked) to help give you usable data to reach a decision.

Mr_GL

Rough_Rock
Just an update, I bought a J color 0.78ct from whiteflash. Oh my god, it is a little fireball ! My initial concern on yellowish tint was unwarranted and it's actually look white to me. Thanks to Becca Eastman of whiteflash for the reassurance and making an effort to show actual live pictures.

@sledge Although I didn't pick the options you had suggested, your detailed analysis have played a big part in the whole selection process. I really appreciate it. Cheers!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the kind words @Mr_GL, they are appreciated. I'm just glad my ramblings helped guide you in a positive way!

Congrats on making a tough decision and finding your....errr, her.....sparkle bomb. Part of the diamond buying process we don't talk about much here, at least from a guy's perspective, is the joy we continue to see when our lady and her friends and family lights up when they see her ring and the good job we did picking it. I know it can be frustrating and usually more costly than we anticipated, but those smiles and joy we help create for others is rather priceless.

Here's to hoping you and yours the best in all you do, and that the stone brings you both lots of joys for many years to come! Cheers mate!!
drinks.gif

PS....be sure to post some pics if you get a chance. Everyone loves diamond **** here, lol. ;)2

Mr_GL

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the kind words @Mr_GL, they are appreciated. I'm just glad my ramblings helped guide you in a positive way!

Congrats on making a tough decision and finding your....errr, her.....sparkle bomb. Part of the diamond buying process we don't talk about much here, at least from a guy's perspective, is the joy we continue to see when our lady and her friends and family lights up when they see her ring and the good job we did picking it. I know it can be frustrating and usually more costly than we anticipated, but those smiles and joy we help create for others is rather priceless.

Here's to hoping you and yours the best in all you do, and that the stone brings you both lots of joys for many years to come! Cheers mate!!
drinks.gif

PS....be sure to post some pics if you get a chance. Everyone loves diamond **** here, lol. ;)2

@sledge this is actually the second time you have helped me in selection process. The first was for my proposal rock and your contribution has helped me to avoid one that less ideal.

This ring is ready and I am very glad of the outcome. I think it looks better than my proposal ring, which the specs are much better . Damn .

Words can't describe how thankful I am @sledge. Thank you again !

Attached are pictures of this ring. Pardon for my lousy photography skills.

IMG_20200115_171541.jpg IMG_20200115_171601.jpg IMG_20200115_174240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results