shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on this sapphire please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I understand but my point is if it''s an iolite, the stone will break for sure (fragile you say?) and I don''t need this setting without the stone. After $400, I don''t have money to buy another one + reset in Quebec who will cost an arm and a leg.

One thing... why people doubt of the quality of the center stone and not the quality of the diamond in the setting? Did I miss something?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2010 3:00:59 PM
Author: stci
I understand but my point is if it''s an iolite, the stone will break for sure (fragile you say?) and I don''t need this setting without the stone. After $400, I don''t have money to buy another one + reset in Quebec who will cost an arm and a leg.

One thing... why people doubt of the quality of the center stone and not the quality of the diamond in the setting? Did I miss something?

The diamonds don''t look like frozen spit and to me are acceptable for that setting. Diamond melee is easy to come by and relatively inexpensive in that quality for gem dealers. It''s not typically synthesized, and if they were cz''s, they would probably look too perfect (cz''s are machine cut most of the time and they look pretty identical). The price on the ring, to me, is mostly the setting, so that raises some other red flags about the center stone. I personally wouldn''t take a chance on it if you were concerned about the center stone. However, if you want a gold and diamond ring with a blue center stone, $400 is a fair price to pay. Iolite isn''t necessarily fragile, but it''s softer than sapphire which is second on the Moh''s scale of hardness after diamond. Iolite is a hard stone, I think around a 7 to 7.5 on the Moh''s scale.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I do like the setting, and the shape of the stone.
I personally don''t care for checkerboards.
They use checkerboards on the large colored stone rings on the cover of Tiffany&Co. catalogues, so plenty of people must like them.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Tourmaline_lover! I understand.

I asked the question to the seller about the center stone treatment and real sapphire. Here is the answer: "It is a genuine earth mined sapphire. Whether it was treated on not we do not know as it will require a trip to the lab in New York and that is expensive.".

So... I have to decide... it''s difficult cause I really want a sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2010 9:24:01 PM

I asked the question to the seller about the center stone treatment and real sapphire. Here is the answer: 'It is a genuine earth mined sapphire. Whether it was treated on not we do not know as it will require a trip to the lab in New York and that is expensive.'.

So... I have to decide... it's difficult cause I really want a sapphire.

IMHO, I wouldn't get it. That answer is not sufficient for me, especially if I only have X amount of dollars to spend, and I really want a sapphire. Sorry, not the answer you probably want to hear, but it's better to be sure about something than waste your hard earned money on something that you're unsure of.

What is your budget? If you really want a sapphire, Pricescopers can recommend some vendors to you and some stones that are trustworthy and/or certified that are within your price range. I would personally buy the sapphire separate from the ring, and perhaps get a setting to fit it.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 9:31:22 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 4/7/2010 9:24:01 PM

I asked the question to the seller about the center stone treatment and real sapphire. Here is the answer: ''It is a genuine earth mined sapphire. Whether it was treated on not we do not know as it will require a trip to the lab in New York and that is expensive.''.

So... I have to decide... it''s difficult cause I really want a sapphire.

IMHO, I wouldn''t get it. That answer is not sufficient for me, especially if I only have X amount of dollars to spend, and I really want a sapphire. Sorry, not the answer you probably want to hear, but it''s better to be sure about something than waste your hard earned money on something that you''re unsure of.

What is your budget? If you really want a sapphire, Pricescopers can recommend some vendors to you and some stones that are trustworthy and/or certified that are within your price range. I would personally buy the sapphire separate from the ring, and perhaps get a setting to fit it.
I agree. In the beginning I thought $400 was a good price for the ring. But I assumed the sapphire would be genuine/unheated.

I don''t know if this helps, but the setting is worth the $400 alone.

Well, $400 can get you a better sapphire or a decent setting.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on your latest post, it appears that the center stone is very important to you, rather than the entire package. That being the case, I’d recommend that you keep looking for the right stone because the bulk of the cost/value of that ring is in the setting itself and not the sapphire.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want this sapphire ring cause nobody here think it''s a true sapphire.
15.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Sylvie,

I know you''ve been disappointed before (the ring in your picture). With the people who know you, and the expertise on this forum, I think we could find you a beautiful stone along with an acceptable mounting that you would love. Trust this forum to help you find...... not just give you pats on the back.

May I explain to them what I know of you? If you don''t like it, or don''t agree, please post that and I will NOT be offended or take it out on you.

From knowing Sylvie quite a while, I know she likes bold pieces. Vintage looks are her style, though authenticity is not a requirement. She likes rings with a presence. She thinks her fingers are big, so she thinks small or delicate rings will disappear on her. Spread and impact are a big deal, with less focus on treatments, as long as the piece is stable. Does ;that sound right, Sylvie?

stci

Ideal_Rock
Yes Sweet Uppy. Your like a flower for me. Love you so much...
30.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sure something can be found for you, Sylvie, don''t make a sad face!

stci

Ideal_Rock
It''s too difficult for friends here to help me and find something decent cause I don''t have enough money. My jewelry budget is soooo tiny...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Sylvie, here is a pretty antique sapphire ring with old cut diamonds. It has a large coverage at a low price and is really nice I think. I love this Three graces website and they really do have new things nearly every day in all kinds of price ranges. have a look at this one and look around their website, it''s a great place to see a wide range of ideas.

http://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/11908-edwardian-sapphire-diamond-french-ring

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2010 8:31:00 PM
It''s too difficult for friends here to help me and find something decent cause I don''t have enough money. My jewelry budget is soooo tiny...

I bet you''d be surprised hon! Is $400 your budget, or just how much that other ring was?

stci

Ideal_Rock
It''s my budget...
14.gif

Thank you VapidLapid!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at Mineralminers (usually heat only blue sapphires that are already set) but they didn''t have a faceted stone already set in a ring. Gary Dutton has 2 small heat only blue sapphires of around 1/2 ct for under $100 so your budget is certainly doable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results