shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on this sapphire please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

Could you tell me if it''s a beautiful sapphire?

Thank you!

e14f_12.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
Second pic...

e072_12.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so if you look at it and love it, then it's right for you.

From a purely personal point of view, I don't like checkerboard cuts (not sure why but they just don't rock my world) and I prefer Sapphires not to have much grey in them. Mind you, that's why I spent years finding "the one"!!!!

Buy it if you like it and wear it in good health. It's an attractive looking ring and unusual due to the checkerboard cut so I'm sure it would draw tons of compliments.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s not something I''d pick, but then, blue stones aren''t really my thing. I think it''s quite nice (the ring too), but if you''re asking if it is a good buy, that depends on the price asked. I like the color and the level of transparency. It''s not the best I''ve seen, but far from being the worst as well.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I like the colour and the setting but I''m not a fan of the cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2010 6:09:35 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so if you look at it and love it, then it''s right for you.

From a purely personal point of view, I don''t like checkerboard cuts (not sure why but they just don''t rock my world) and I prefer Sapphires not to have much grey in them. Mind you, that''s why I spent years finding ''the one''!!!!

Buy it if you like it and wear it in good health. It''s an attractive looking ring and unusual due to the checkerboard cut so I''m sure it would draw tons of compliments.
LD has expressed my opinion very well; the idea of beauty can be very individualistic. What appeals to a person may not appeal to another. Buy what you love even if it may not be something we do. That said, it isn’t something that appeals to me because I see some gray undertone to the blue giving it a cold look, plus I have a mental block against checkerboard cutting. Perhaps you are attracted to the steely cold blue though and a checkerboard cut is different so you like it a lot?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color of the sapphire is very pretty and I like the mounting too, but I''m also not a big fan of checkerboard cuts. If there was a stone I just couldn''t pass up because of a combination of color, cut, polish and price? I''d make a pendant out of it.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Sylvie, I love the mounting! But the checkerboard sapphire seems to be of a different time period.

I too prefer less grey and a more almost lavendar-blue look.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your honest opinion.

I have to say I love love checkboard cut and the color of this sapphire is right for me.

As you probably know, I don''t have budget to buy THE sapphire in perfect color and quality but this one seem really beautiful to my eyes.

Now... do you think $400 for this ring is correct or too expensive?

Here are some specifications:

Sapphire 1.20 ct (6.1x6.1mm)
Diamond 0.30 ct (VS - SI 1)
14k white gold

It''s a size 7.5. Do you think it can be resize to a 9?

Thank you for your precious help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considering that the price is the entire package, ring, stones and all, $400 is not an unreasonable price. You’ll have to ask the vendor about resizing but looking at the simplicity of the sidestones, I don’t think it should be an issue.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the cut too. Different cuts appeal to me, traditional ovals and rounds don''t.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the cut!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I and not really a fan of checkerboards either BUT this one in this setting feels totally right to me. I would go for it.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 4:38:21 PM
Author: stci
Thank you all for your honest opinion.

I have to say I love love checkboard cut and the color of this sapphire is right for me.

As you probably know, I don't have budget to buy THE sapphire in perfect color and quality but this one seem really beautiful to my eyes.

Now... do you think $400 for this ring is correct or too expensive?

Here are some specifications:

Sapphire 1.20 ct (6.1x6.1mm)

Diamond 0.30 ct (VS - SI 1)

14k white gold

It's a size 7.5. Do you think it can be resize to a 9?

Thank you for your precious help.

If you like it, that is all that matters. I would say that if it seems beautiful to your eyes...then it is beautiful!

I personally do not like checkerboard cuts (though it suits this ring) but if you love them, then what does it matter what I like! I also prefer very vibrant blue sapphires, but on the other hand, there are people who seek out more gray or purple toned sapphires....and get a better deal on them as they are seen as less desirable market-wide...but certainly not less desirable for them! And, this is actually a pretty sapphire even if not my preferred "blue".

I know how you feel, I can't afford the perfect (for me) sapphire either, or on the other hand, have yet to find one that meets all my specs in my budget, so have had to compromise for now too. Maybe I will change the stone in the future...or maybe not as I am very, very happy actually with my "compromise".

$400 seems very reasonable for the whole package.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like it, especially the setting and the color. I''m a little iffy on the checkerboard cut, but that''s just me. It''s not something you see every day, and that''s a little refreshing. Some people like it and some people don''t. My only "concern" is that I kind of think that the pattern seems a little busy for the setting (which is gorgeous, by the way!).

stci

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all! You are nice!
30.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2010 12:19:20 PM
30.gif
I know I''m a stickler on treatments, but sapphires can be artificially enhanced in color with chemicals. If so, then that sapphire would be worth about $20 tops. Did you find out anything about the treatment on it? If you don''t care, then $400 would be worth about the price of that setting, and I don''t think that''s unreasonable.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
Somehow, when I’m thinking BE diffused, I doubt it’ll look that colour although anything is certainly possible these days.
9.gif

Before I forget, STCI, don’t forget to scrutinize the return policy to avoid headaches and hassles with the vendor should the stone not look like the picture or the workmanship end up shoddy or whatever else you are not satisfied with.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Thank you to remind me Chrono!

They said "7 days after the buyer receives it" return policy and "We guarantee our items to be as described and accept returns only if misdescribed.".

7 days is short because delivery in Quebec Canada can take 10 days! If I return it the 10 days will apply too!

I''m confused... I don''t know what to do...
15.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 2:27:47 PM

They said ''7 days after the buyer receives it'' return policy and ''We guarantee our items to be as described and accept returns only if misdescribed.''.

7 days is short because delivery in Quebec Canada can take 10 days! If I return it the 10 days will apply too!

15.gif

It shouldn''t matter how long it takes to get to you since it''s 7 days from the time you receive it. It doesn''t have to make it back to the seller within the return period time, you just have to let them know that you''re returning it I would think.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
a bunch of chekerboard haters here
2.gif
..I like them..I think you get the flash from the pavilion but also the facet reflections and twinkle from the chekerboard....just send all your unused or unwanted chekerboards to me to take care of..stone seems to be graying from old age on that head on pic

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I like chequer-board too. Some of my favourites in my collection have them.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Im not a big fan of the cut either but it works for this ring - if you love it, go for it :)

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I think this ring is pretty, and I like it. It has a classic vintage look with the pave and milgrain. I know a lot of people are against checkerboard cuts, but it works well with this ring somehow. It makes it unique, and in a good way.

For $400, you did well. If you like this ring, then it shouldn''t matter what others think.

Enjoy it!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 1:20:40 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

30.gif
I know I'm a stickler on treatments, but sapphires can be artificially enhanced in color with chemicals. If so, then that sapphire would be worth about $20 tops. Did you find out anything about the treatment on it? If you don't care, then $400 would be worth about the price of that setting, and I don't think that's unreasonable.
I would have guessed cultured not BE diffused but then again why do cultured with a grey mask and I probably have no clue how to spot either
33.gif
Its a prettty ring and with the diamonds and the setting probably worth it no matter what it is, it could be a blue spinel for all we know?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 2:27:47 PM

They said ''7 days after the buyer receives it'' return policy and ''We guarantee our items to be as described and accept returns only if misdescribed.''.

15.gif
Hello fellow Quebecer! Usually its 7 days from signed receipt of the item. Then your return is stamped the day you sign and post the item back by registered mail. Most reputable vendors will even extend it if you contact them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2010 12:37:51 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover
Date: 4/6/2010 1:20:40 PM

Author: tourmaline_lover

30.gif

I know I''m a stickler on treatments, but sapphires can be artificially enhanced in color with chemicals. If so, then that sapphire would be worth about $20 tops. Did you find out anything about the treatment on it? If you don''t care, then $400 would be worth about the price of that setting, and I don''t think that''s unreasonable.

I would have guessed cultured not BE diffused but then again why do cultured with a grey mask and I probably have no clue how to spot either
33.gif

Its a prettty ring and with the diamonds and the setting probably worth it no matter what it is, it could be a blue spinel for all we know?

I thought it could be synthetic too, since it''s so clean, but we don''t know what it looks like in person (the grey mask might not be apparent IRL), and sapphires, unless you buy from a very trusted source, can be synthesized or artificially color enhanced. I just like to always warn about sapphires and rubies, especially when I see a checkerboard cut, perfectly clean stone. It seems suspect to me. JMO.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I actually thought iolite when I first looked at it. But it very well might be sapphire as well. Dont know till ya RI it!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Part of the description : "a genuine earth mined sparkling sapphire".

Hope nobody will stole the deal but do you think Burgin Rarities can lie about the sapphire on this ring?
14.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2010 12:04:14 PM
Part of the description : 'a genuine earth mined sparkling sapphire'.

Hope nobody will stole the deal but do you think Burgin Rarities can lie about the sapphire on this ring?
14.gif

Stci,
One of the few lessons I've learned about ebay is that anyone can lie about anything. That is why you should always get a gemological report to back up what they say. I've recently purchased a sapphire and several spinels on ebay, and when they are higher priced, or I cannot see a definitive natural inclusion in one, I obtain an AIGS report. A reputable gemological report cannot lie about a gem, especially if it is verifiable online and one doesn't have the ability to forge it.

Now, the ring may just be worth the setting, and you might not care if the sapphire is natural, enhanced, or a simulant (iolite is a cheap simulant of sapphire as RockHugger noted). The price point of the ring may not be worth getting a report back on the ring. However, for me, I would personally only purchase that for the setting, and I wouldn't place too much trust or emphasis on the center stone. Some gems are not as easily simulated, are not synthetized or regularly enhanced. For example, if that were a pyrope garnet, it wouldn't raise as many red flags to me, but I am always ambivalent about several types of gems on ebay. If there is a way to synthesize, simulate or artificially and drastically enhance a particular gem, I require a gemological report if I'm spending a good amount of money.

I could write a huge list on various gems and what I look out for on ebay as red flags. I also like to work with vendors that provide reputable lab reports on more expensive colored gems. If you like the setting, buy it, but only with the caveat of knowing that the center stone may not be what it supposed to be. I hope that helps. I am one of the more paranoid ebay shoppers, but that's after ebaying for around 10 years.

Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results