shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on this blue sapphire, please (3.47 ct)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think the sapphires looks very promising, however, my greater concern is, whether you'd be able to safely return it to Jeff if you decided it didn't suit.

I think Jeff is based outside the U.S.

If it were me, I'd want to confirm either he has a return address located within the U.S. for U.S. purchasers; or that he arranges for insurance coverage for items returned to him by U.S. purchasers.

In the U.S., individuals cannot use FedEx or UPS to ship loose gems with insurance.

If you ship via USPS international registered mail, insurance is limited to apx $47.00 regardless of the amount of insurance USPS will let you purchase. Depending on destination country, there may be USPS options (GlobalX or Priority International maybe) with other insurance options, but often there are country prohibitions on shipping loose precious gemstones.

Even if you're not a U.S. purchaser, it can be problematic to return/ship valuable items through international mail with adequate insurance coverage.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very promising, with the beautiful cut making it very brilliant. The only downside is the depth, which makes it look smaller for its carat weight but the colour and cutting (and price) aren't enough of a con for me to seriously dissuade anyone from buying the sapphire. As always, double check the return policy and any tax ramifications. Marymm is right that you have to also consider how you can safely return the sapphire to Bangkok if it turns out that it isn't the right sapphire for you.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks really promising, though I personally find it difficult to judge blue sapphires based on photo's. Can you ask Jeff for photos of the stone on his hand in different lighting conditions?
I think you have found a beautiful stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1471284778|4066291 said:
The stone looks really promising, though I personally find it difficult to judge blue sapphires based on photo's. Can you ask Jeff for photos of the stone on his hand in different lighting conditions?
I think you have found a beautiful stone.

100% agree about getting other photos as that will help judge the color more accurately than one photo alone. But I think this stone looks great and it's highly likely that this is a winner (IMHO). But yes, keep in mind what others have said about JD being located in Thailand and therefore if you are in the US returns won't be easy. Totally do-able, but not as simple as returning to a local vendor--which is an additional reason for getting more pics prior to purchasing so you can be more secure in the purchase. Good luck and let use now what you decide! :wavey:

sparkle_zo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone replying, it's very helpful, as it's so difficult to visualize the stone just looking at pictures and videos.
I also noticed that this stone has substantial depth and faces up smaller comparing to other stones of similar carat weight.

There is another sapphire available online from Jeff
http://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/sapphire/mj5575-sapphire-gia-3-42ct/
It's significantly more affordable comparing to the first option. Your opinion on that one?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sparkle_zo|1471287374|4066305 said:
There is another sapphire available online from Jeff
http://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/sapphire/mj5575-sapphire-gia-3-42ct/
It's significantly more affordable comparing to the first option. Your opinion on that one?
The reason is because the first one is far more beautifully cut, which allows for better overall and distributed brightness. This one is more iffy in terms of performance when I viewed the video.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
It is no doubt a nice stone. But I see some color zoning throughout the stone which is evident in the video. At a glance or at arms length it probably wouldn't be noticeable.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you have a good idea of what sort of stone you'd like (shape, sizes, tones) and budget? If so, folks might throw out some other options.

Nsmike

Rough_Rock

sparkle_zo

Shiny_Rock
image_1025.jpg
Jeff just sent me the picture of the most recent stone he got, it's 2.58 ct heated and Jeff will send me video later on. I like cornflower blue color on this one as well. What do you think?

Ideally I would like 3+ ctw sapphire vivid blue color, my preferred cut is oval or cushion, but I would consider other cuts except round. Regarding price, I would like to get best quality for price.

sparkle_zo

Shiny_Rock
Nsmike|1471291285|4066327 said:
Jeff Davies has a 2.71 caret sapphire on his ebay site it's worth a look http://stores.ebay.com/finegemstonesandjewelry?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true Here's a direct link to the stone http://www.ebay.com/itm/OVAL-2-71CT-BLUE-SAPPHIRE-CEYLON-GIA-AIGS-CERTIFIED-SEE-VIDEO-/371698176355?hash=item568af01163
A trick for videos on ebay instead of starting them on ebay right click and open in a new tab then you'll have the ability to view the video in full screen.

Thanks, Nsmike, I appreciate your help! It does look like nice stone but the color is not that saturated to my liking. It seems to have gray overtone in it. Do you agree with my observation comparing to other stones I posted earlier?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Heh - good deal. I suspect the market for >$3k stones is probably fairly slow. It seems like $1k-$3k is a fairly popular range for engagement ring buyers lately.

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
sparkle_zo|1471292870|4066337 said:
Nsmike|1471291285|4066327 said:
Jeff Davies has a 2.71 caret sapphire on his ebay site it's worth a look http://stores.ebay.com/finegemstonesandjewelry?afsrc=1&rmvSB=true Here's a direct link to the stone http://www.ebay.com/itm/OVAL-2-71CT-BLUE-SAPPHIRE-CEYLON-GIA-AIGS-CERTIFIED-SEE-VIDEO-/371698176355?hash=item568af01163
A trick for videos on ebay instead of starting them on ebay right click and open in a new tab then you'll have the ability to view the video in full screen.

Thanks, Nsmike, I appreciate your help! It does look like nice stone but the color is not that saturated to my liking. It seems to have gray overtone in it. Do you agree with my observation comparing to other stones I posted earlier?
It did go through my mind that it might be too light. My taste runs a little on the light side especially when a stone has good brilliance. As for the gray overtone I would need to see it in my hand to tell.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, have you tried reaching out to Roger Dery? He often has nice stones that arn't listed online.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In case it helps, the last time someone bought a simmilar looking stone from Jeff Davies it turned out really gorgeous:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-blue-sapphire-e-ring-advice.219291/

I am wondering if you can get picutres in more natural lighting. He seems to flood that turn table with quite a bit of light -- it would be nice to have some handshots under other lighting conditions.

I have also been admiring the sapphire at precisiongems. It doesnt look quite as saturated to me, but I love the interplay of the light with the various fascets in the video.

sparkle_zo

Shiny_Rock
qubitasaurus|1471312186|4066457 said:
In case it helps, the last time someone bought a simmilar looking stone from Jeff Davies it turned out really gorgeous:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/royal-blue-sapphire-e-ring-advice.219291/

I am wondering if you can get picutres in more natural lighting. He seems to flood that turn table with quite a bit of light -- it would be nice to have some handshots under other lighting conditions.

I have also been admiring the sapphire at precisiongems. It doesnt look quite as saturated to me, but I love the interplay of the light with the various fascets in the video.

Oh, the color of that sapphire is to die for :love: :love: :love:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GregS - +1 to the gemfix oval, I was looking at that too!

qubitasaurus - I was also thing about suggesting Gene's sapphire. It might be a little paleer and violet in the photo, but they probably won't come cut much better! I think its also unheated, which, if the OP is ok with heat, might make it a bit pricier. I wonder if the other sapphires that are also pictures with it (before the recut) are still around.

And just in case this is in budget, how about:
http://www.leibish.com/blue-gemstones/vivid-blue-sapphire-oval-434

Nsmike

Rough_Rock
sparkle_zo|1471315449|4066474 said:
Nsmike|1471308650|4066441 said:
A little undersized at 2.78 cts. but very nice http://www.thegemtrader.com/Oct13BSapphirePage.htm

I think this one is quite expensive for its weight... What do you think? As far as I remember I saw this stone last year :boohoo:
I think the price reflects the fact that it's has an excellent cut and is the ideal color. If I understand you, you want as close to this as possible, in a 3+ carat stone and at a good price. I recognize that it's expensive and that another stone may come close, while being a better value, but I think it fairly represents what you want.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Nsmike|1471316608|4066483 said:
sparkle_zo|1471315449|4066474 said:
Nsmike|1471308650|4066441 said:
A little undersized at 2.78 cts. but very nice http://www.thegemtrader.com/Oct13BSapphirePage.htm

I think this one is quite expensive for its weight... What do you think? As far as I remember I saw this stone last year :boohoo:
I think the price reflects the fact that it's has an excellent cut and is the ideal color. If I understand you, you want as close to this as possible, in a 3+ carat stone and at a good price. I recognize that it's expensive and that another stone may come close, while being a better value, but I think it fairly represents what you want.

I think that the assessment of "ideal" is subjective, and maybe it is the photography, but I personally prefer the color and the cut of the Jeff Davies sapphire that was originally posted.

Returning gems to Jeff in Thailand isn't a difficult process. I guess there is a potential insurance issue as marymm pointed out, which you'll want to clarify with Jeff before purchase given the value of the stone. Assuming Jeff can insure the return, it wouldn't stop me from purchasing from an overseas vendor such as Jeff with a great reputation and return policy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results