shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Latest Jewelry Purchases/Things You're Considering....

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
I was having a rough day at work on Monday and so I took a trip down the street to Langs Antiques for the first time ever... holy moly... so many things I wanted to buy! I'm still contemplating my next purchase, but MAN did that make my day! There were some beautiful French cuts there, both square and elongated.

I cant believe I've worked so close to that gorgeousness all these years!

oooooh French cuts <3
Bracelets? Earrings? Rings? What were they set in? ; )

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Okay, feedback time. All need to be resized, but whaddya like?

20190501_095553.jpg 20190501_095724.jpg 20190501_095741.jpg 20190501_095811.jpg 20190501_100303[1].jpg

Man oh man, lol so my first thought was I like them ALL! lol but I understand- decision time.
I kept going back to the asscher band b/c it's a great "everyday" piece that would go with anything & everything, right? But then that oval.... what are the specs on that?

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
What are the chances?! The emerald cut three stone is my ring... it's super flashy and beautiful in real life. The center is reflecting the phone/camera case color in the photos. It would be om my finger still, but its time for it to grace someone else's finger and life. =)2

The 3-stone emerald cut ring in question is the one in your Avatar?

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
@EmeraldEmpress

Yes, avatar to be changed when I get a replacement.

I seriously miss that ring. It's so odd to see the gorgeous super ideals on here and still be drawn to step cuts. Maybe it's the elegance I can't get over?

They had two eternity bands with French cuts, one square and one elongated. And a bracelet that just made my jaw drop. I was too shy to take photos, maybe next time!

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
01FC987A-6EAA-4631-802A-E2FF89831785.jpeg
I received the new-to-me Art Deco reproduction ring. It’s in need of a resizing... it slips off my thumb. :lol-2:

very pretty! are those round brilliants set in it?

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
@EmeraldEmpress

I seriously miss that ring. It's so odd to see the gorgeous super ideals on here and still be drawn to step cuts. Maybe it's the elegance I can't get over?

They had two eternity bands with French cuts, one square and one elongated. And a bracelet that just made my jaw drop. I was too shy to take photos, maybe next time!

We have the same taste : ) It's gotta be the elegance, I can't get over it either.
Not a member of the married club yet, but maybe someday ; ) and my dream E-ring is totally a 3 carat emerald cut, likely with baguettes on the sides.... not surprising then that I am in love with French cuts too.....

Promise me you will go back and take pictures of ALL the French cuts lol, I neeeeeeed to see them and Lang isn't at my doorstep, sadly : ( Can you describe the French cut bracelet? Was it Deco? *swoon*

Last edited:

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
@EmeraldEmpress

Meant to ask you too, if you don't mind me asking, what persuaded you to let your ring go for another?

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
@EmeraldEmpress This is my engagement ring from my first marriage (Bought with lots of dreams, HS sweethearts, beautiful family, etc.). Always enjoyed the compliments I got from my set. It's been sitting around while I decide whether to let it go, and I finally decided that it's better to be loved out in the open by someone than sitting in my jewelry box. I LOVE three stone emerald cuts, and will likely try to do one again in the future. Reason #2 is that there will be a left ring finger replacement soon and I'd like to start anew with nothing left of the past. :)

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
@EmeraldEmpress This is my engagement ring from my first marriage (Bought with lots of dreams, HS sweethearts, beautiful family, etc.). Always enjoyed the compliments I got from my set. It's been sitting around while I decide whether to let it go, and I finally decided that it's better to be loved out in the open by someone than sitting in my jewelry box. I LOVE three stone emerald cuts, and will likely try to do one again in the future. Reason #2 is that there will be a left ring finger replacement soon and I'd like to start anew with nothing left of the past. :)

Totally get that. And may this new set be even more beautiful ; ) With your taste, it's pretty certain!

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
https://www.gesner.com/emerald-cut-platinum-3-stone-diamond-estate-engagement-fashion-ring-5-40ct-t-w.html
Given the size, I think it would give you more finger coverage than Grace's three stone. Just throwing it out there.

Well, spoke to Gesner. The coverage on that ring is fantastic. 15.7 mm in width of 3 emerald cut, and 20 mm total diamond width. Would totally cover my fat fingers. No GIA certs because it was an inhouse build. If I were to source similar diamonds (the big 3) new from WF or James Allen, we are looking around $30k. (One 2.6ct stone VVS2 clarity and I color, and two 1ct H/VII). Basically the same as their asking price. The owner of the store (Frank) emailed me personally and said make us an offer that is reasonable by today's standards and we'll try to make it work.

So, the question is, how much appreciation/deprecation is there on a 30 year old ring (it was originally sold for approx $33k thirty year ago)? And aren't I taking all the risk with no GIA certs before I buy? But it's gorgeous....and talk about a major milestone ring (I turned 50 this year). I am not sure I would ever need another ring. But what is a reasonable price by today's standards (I have no earthly idea).

But then that oval.... what are the specs on that?

Here are the specs on the oval: Center diamond is an Old Mine Cushion Cut that measures 9.35 x 8.08 x 4.96mm and is 2.67ct. K/L in color, VVS in clarity. (GIA standards). Additional 1.70ctw of old European cut diamonds and 2 baguettes (which sparkle like mad).

PS...if discussing pricing online is a no no, please PM me.

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Well, spoke to Gesner. The coverage on that ring is fantastic. 15.7 mm in width of 3 emerald cut, and 20 mm total diamond width. Would totally cover my fat fingers. No GIA certs because it was an inhouse build. If I were to source similar diamonds (the big 3) new from WF or James Allen, we are looking around $30k. (One 2.6ct stone VVS2 clarity and I color, and two 1ct H/VII). Basically the same as their asking price. The owner of the store (Frank) emailed me personally and said make us an offer that is reasonable by today's standards and we'll try to make it work.

So, the question is, how much appreciation/deprecation is there on a 30 year old ring (it was originally sold for approx $33k thirty year ago)? And aren't I taking all the risk with no GIA certs before I buy? But it's gorgeous....and talk about a major milestone ring (I turned 50 this year). I am not sure I would ever need another ring. But what is a reasonable price by today's standards (I have no earthly idea).

The coverage does sound great. And that's a heck of a milestone for a 50th birthday! The items from Grace for the larger pieces were in the 18k range that I saw. I think it looks more impressive than the rings from Grace. It doesn't sound like you love the cluster ring either in the post above where you noted it is glassy. If you are paying that amount of money, you should love it.

Hmm.. a couple thoughts.

Let's say you buy it, what would they do for a return period? If it was me, I would want ample time to have it inspected and verified by an independent appraiser, with the option to return if everything did not check out OR renegotiating price if it comes in lower, but you still like it.

As another idea, are they willing to send the stones to GIA (likely at your cost, but perhaps to be rolled into the purchase price if you buy it as a credit), to verify everything and you have an agreement on the price if they come back as they estimate, but option to renegotiate if the stones come in at lower specs?

For pricing, let's say you go with option of time for an independent appraisal and full return OR you do the asking for certs.

I would treat it like going to a jewelry show if you want to make an offer. Or you can ask them for his very best price and go from there to see if it can work. The stone comps you are pulling are certified, so I would use that as bargaining tool that these are estimated specs v hard specs.

Using the logic of treating it like a jewelry show, maybe offer 20 to 25% of the ask to account for the uncerted stones? 30% may be too aggressive, but if you are in that general range, using the uncerted stones as the bargain chip, you are coming in just a few thousand over the rings from Grace.

If you want someone local to lay eyes on it, I'd seriously be happy to go and take photos and videos for you. It would be a fun field trip.

ETA: On their site, they talk about Paypal for payment. A wire would cost them less for processing. Most vendors offer anywhere from 3% to 5% off for a wire or check payment. That could also be something to consider if you wanted to make an offer, that you could pay a way that would be less for them to process.

Second ETA: The 4.37 cluster from Grace is also uncertified, but has an appraiser's assessment. Just pointing that out in case it helps consider getting an appraisal on a piece that is not certified, that you may like more.

Last edited:

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
The coverage does sound great. And that's a heck of a milestone for a 50th birthday! The items from Grace for the larger pieces were in the 18k range that I saw. I think it looks more impressive than the rings from Grace. It doesn't sound like you love the cluster ring either in the post above where you noted it is glassy. If you are paying that amount of money, you should love it.

Hmm.. a couple thoughts.

Let's say you buy it, what would they do for a return period? If it was me, I would want ample time to have it inspected and verified by an independent appraiser, with the option to return if everything did not check out OR renegotiating price if it comes in lower, but you still like it.

As another idea, are they willing to send the stones to GIA (likely at your cost, but perhaps to be rolled into the purchase price if you buy it as a credit), to verify everything and you have an agreement on the price if they come back as they estimate, but option to renegotiate if the stones come in at lower specs?

For pricing, let's say you go with option of time for an independent appraisal and full return OR you do the asking for certs.

I would treat it like going to a jewelry show if you want to make an offer. Or you can ask them for his very best price and go from there to see if it can work. The stone comps you are pulling are certified, so I would use that as bargaining tool that these are estimated specs v hard specs.

Using the logic of treating it like a jewelry show, maybe offer 20 to 25% of the ask to account for the uncerted stones? 30% may be too aggressive, but if you are in that general range, using the uncerted stones as the bargain chip, you are coming in just a few thousand over the rings from Grace.

If you want someone local to lay eyes on it, I'd seriously be happy to go and take photos and videos for you. It would be a fun field trip.

ETA: On their site, they talk about Paypal for payment. A wire would cost them less for processing. Most vendors offer anywhere from 3% to 5% off for a wire or check payment. That could also be something to consider if you wanted to make an offer, that you could pay a way that would be less for them to process.

Second ETA: The 4.37 cluster from Grace is also uncertified, but has an appraiser's assessment. Just pointing that out in case it helps consider getting an appraisal on a piece that is not certified, that you may like more.

@elizat, excellent advice all around!

@TechieTechie, which look are you liking the best? The look of a band? (the asscher) or the look of a statement piece that is also suited for daily wear? (the 3-stone)

I think you should absolutely treat yourself for your 50th, and if the 3-stone statement piece is making your heart sing, go for it!
I agree that it sounds like you aren't sold on the oval, but seemed to like it's size. Don't settle if you're spending this kind of $$$, go for what you really love, you'll be glad you did.

That said, I feel like it's coming down to choosing between the 3-stone statement piece and the asscher band. Sounds like the smaller 3-stone and the oval are going back to Grace.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was having a rough day at work on Monday and so I took a trip down the street to Langs Antiques for the first time ever... holy moly... so many things I wanted to buy! I'm still contemplating my next purchase, but MAN did that make my day! There were some beautiful French cuts there, both square and elongated.

I cant believe I've worked so close to that gorgeousness all these years!

I love that store but have not been in it, I bought my carved Burmese jadite pendant from their website.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
okay, now that I see the links I think that the 4.37 cluster is beautiful. I take less than flattering jewelry pics too.

I see that one on your hand now. I think it gives you really good coverage. The stone is lovely and the setting is really pretty. Now that I see the ring close up, I really like that one. Can you take a shot of just that one on your hand maybe, with the band(s) you like?

The emerald three stone is beautiful in Grace's listing, but if you think you'll need to modify it and add stones, I would probably pass. That's not to deter another PSers ring sale, but if you have to change it and add stones for the coverage you want, it may not be the right one for you, even though it is beautiful.

Do you like the 4.37 cluster? It is beautiful in photos.

I remember a poster talked about Gesner Estate Jewelers. I think it is @Cali-ohsomethingshiny .

I remembered it because i'm in Tampa and the store is too- I have been there before as well for repairs. They have a beautiful emerald cut three stone that is 5 carats plus and I recall that she said that the owner would discount it more. Now, I don't know what the budget is or if you want to just stick with Grace, but this is a lovely ring:

https://www.gesner.com/emerald-cut-...state-engagement-fashion-ring-5-40ct-t-w.html

Given the size, I think it would give you more finger coverage than Grace's three stone. Just throwing it out there.
Oh my goodness! Thanks for the tip about Gesner Estate Jewelry. My office is like ten minutes away, I’m going to have to stop by on my lunch break.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
FBE48F92-7717-4B54-BDBE-D4CC08D31826.jpeg I’m trying to buy a diamond brooch that I can use to make a bracelet.
I didn’t read the length of a diamond bracelet I bought (pre loved, no return) and it’s too small for my wrist. So I’m wanting to add length by putting a diamond brooch or similar into the centre BUT I don’t want to spend more than $500!
Still looking.

good luck and enjoy the hunt
im really looking forward to seeing it all completed
and i love the idea of repurposing a preloved brooch to give you the extra length

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TechieTechie just want to say if you don't love it don't get it. It's not a small purchase and it does not sound like you are crazy about it. If you love the Asscher band get that and take your time finding just the perfect 50th birthday gift. There is no time limit on finding the right one as you can always find it after the date. Don't rush into any purchase you are unsure about that you cannot return. You see the diamond cluster in person and you are the one who has to love and want to wear it.

As for the 3 stone statement piece I am looking forward to hearing your further thoughts on that ring. I would definitely want an independent appraisal and agree with @elizat and what she wrote about this piece. Good luck and very excited to see what you decide. Happy 50th in advance. Part of the fun/thrill is the search for the perfect bling.:appl:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness! Thanks for the tip about Gesner Estate Jewelry. My office is like ten minutes away, I’m going to have to stop by on my lunch break.

My office is super close to as well- the big block of offices by International Mall. I did not know that we had some Tampa based people here!

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
@elizat @missy @LinSF @FlashyFlamingo

Thanks all for helping me clarify my thinking.

Lin, as lovely as your ring is (and gals, it is stunning) the finger coverage is just not enough, so I will be returning it.

And, PSers you are right, the oval is nice, but there are enough drawbacks that I will pass. I think I am putting a lot of pressure on myself because of the return timeframes. I am going to keep the funky dual band because it's relatively inexpensive and I like it...may keep me from jumping in too fast.

I like the asscher because it is super white and sparkly, sits low on my finger, really is a timeless style and I think its a great price point for the quality. I am not crazy that it looks like a wedding band, the ends dig into my finger a bit and am a bit concerned that it may need be reset (and not resized) in order for it to provide full finger coverage (it's a 6 now, needs to go to a 9). If the Tampa big bling hadn't arrived, then I would have just kept it and been pretty happy (then again, the asscher is 1/3 the price of the Gesmer ring).

And Elizat, thank you for the wise negotiating tactics. I will approach Gesmers today with an offer, keeping these thoughts in mind. I am certainly not crazy about the GIA after the fact, given the GIA gemologist in question is employed by the store and shares the family name. May not be quite so independent as one might think.

The question is what to do with the asscher. I may ask JGB if there is any wiggle room at all on the return policy...even if I could extend it a few days so I can see the asscher and big 3 side by side. Or, I could return and rebuy in a few days, but that seems a little silly. Has anyone ever been in this predicament?

Thanks for all the help and encouragement...and making sure I buy the right piece in the long run.

PS...thanks Missy, my BD was last August. If you recall, I bought that Costco 3 stone on impulse for my 50th, and you all convinced me (rightly so) to return it. This is the replacement for that ring (even tho the budget has ballooned quite a bit!)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@TechieTechie you should love whatever you get! I would think Grace would agree to let you have more time, especially if you return the ones you know you don't want.

If you don't love that the asscher looks like a wedding band, gah, maybe it's not the one. If you really like the idea of an asscher ring and the emerald cut doesn't work out, what about reaching out to Parks Fine Group? Alex can source stones and you could do a ring with a different ratio for the sizes. He finds great stuff and he can make the setting too. He's a diamond dealer, so his prices are a lot more palatable than Grace's in my view, because they have very different businesses. You can look at his IG account for some examples of his work.

If you do move forward with the Gesner piece, definitely get your own appraisal so you have that piece of mind. In looking at the general store policies, they allow for a return with another appraisal that comes in with a meaningful difference. I'd call and talk to them about how much time can be given for you to get an appraisal, etc. because it's a large purchase. It's a small family run store and they are nice people. I think they will try to do what's fair for both of you. Excited to see what you decide to do!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS...thanks Missy, my BD was last August. If you recall, I bought that Costco 3 stone on impulse for my 50th, and you all convinced me (rightly so) to return it. This is the replacement for that ring (even tho the budget has ballooned quite a bit!)

Yay for a ballooning budget..moving in the right direction.:cool2:
And from one August birthday girl (are you a Leo?) to another...good things come to those who wait and don't settle. You're going to get exactly what you want. I know it. You're going about it just right. Don't settle and keep on looking. Your dream bling is out there.:love:

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
This has moved really fast. Head spinning. Virgos do not like head spinning.

Owner has come down on price (to $25) and will allow 2 weeks return if I want to have the ring evaluated by an GIA professional. If the stones truly are the grade noted on the site, at that price I am basically getting 1 of the side stones, the baguettes and the setting for free (yay for pre-loved jewelry).

But, any concerns adding 3.5 sizes to a ring with this setting?

I'm beginning to think I should jump on it. God, it would look stunning on my finger. Worst case is I return it.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LinSF & @cflutist in all seriousness, we really should have a PS meetup there. :kiss2: I love it every time I go but it’s hard to resist all the tempting things!

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
@LinSF & @cflutist in all seriousness, we really should have a PS meetup there. :kiss2: I love it every time I go but it’s hard to resist all the tempting things!

Sorry about the threadjack, but wanted to chime and say that Lang’s is amazing. I’d do a meetup there.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20190502_151839.jpg 20190502_150840.jpg
It's a keeper! I got both blue and black straps and will get a brown alligator next!

Oh I love this so much @ceg! It's beautiful, enjoy it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results