shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Latest Jewelry Purchases/Things You're Considering....

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here it is. It's very dark but lights up nicely. And I liked the price. I do like it but am not sure if the color is typical, or better than or less than typical (considering that it was $400). Wondering if I should keep it or try again, and get a larger one. Also, it says "Mahenge" and I wonder if that differs from purple rhodolite. In other words, does anyone with more experience with purple garnets have any thoughts?

pur gar.jpg

I decided to send it back. The body color is darker than I expected.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Just ordered this from Starlanka, on sale for about $625, regular $8XX. (sorry if listing prices seems gauche. I just always want to know, myself, if it's something I might be in the market for sometime).

Rose Red Rubellite Tourmaline 7.83ct – 14x12mm​

VS clarity. This will be my third try for a keeper lately. Fingers crossed!

1700962350756.png

Last edited:

tomato

Shiny_Rock
Just ordered this from Starlanka, on sale for about $625, regular $8XX. (sorry if listing prices seems gauche. I just always want to know, myself, if it's something I might be in the market for sometime).

1700962350756.png

I don’t think there’s anything gauche about listing a price.

I imagine some people don’t share the price out of not wanting to draw undesirable attention to their financial situation.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I’ve always been interested in their purple garnets but don’t have the budget for setting! Can’t wait to see it!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To go with the interchangeable two pearl clasps I am planning to be made with 2 CSs, a round Danburite and an EC Aquamarine, both cut by Jeff W; in addition to different strands of pearls, I am considering adding a chunky curb chain.

A gold one, even a hollow one in 9K WG will cost a fortune! Hence the cunning plan to have one in sterling silver made for it to be Rhodium-plated.

DK :))

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

1700962350756.png

The big rubellite from Starlanka is here. I'm afraid to look. Ahhhh!
package.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
It's a gloomy overcast day here but here's another try. It lights up brighter than the photo shows.

Obviously, it's not a bright true red but I like it for the size and price and it's true to the photos listed by the vendor (Star Lanka). I knew when I ordered from Thailand that I would not be returning it anyway, not that I want to.

However, I'm wondering if I should have it re-cut for better light return. I sent a peridot for re-cutting a while back and was very pleased with the results. It was about this size (8 carats) and it only cost a couple hundred dollars. Thoughts?

rubellite4.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's a gloomy overcast day here but here's another try. It lights up brighter than the photo shows.

Obviously, it's not a bright true red but I like it for the size and price and it's true to the photos listed by the vendor (Star Lanka). I knew when I ordered from Thailand that I would not be returning it anyway, not that I want to.

However, I'm wondering if I should have it re-cut for better light return. I sent a peridot for re-cutting a while back and was very pleased with the results. It was about this size (8 carats) and it only cost a couple hundred dollars. Thoughts?

rubellite4.jpg

I don't see why not, it's nice that the material isn't so precious as to be scary. It's got the size and tourmaline looks fantastic with a great cut. You like it now, you'll love it then.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't see why not, it's nice that the material isn't so precious as to be scary. It's got the size and tourmaline looks fantastic with a great cut. You like it now, you'll love it then.

Thank you. I think I will, after Christmas. (I always seem to have more mail problems during the Christmas rush). I also have a purple garnet coming from Star Lanka and now I'm thinking it might benefit from a re-cut too.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I think I will, after Christmas. (I always seem to have more mail problems during the Christmas rush). I also have a purple garnet coming from Star Lanka and now I'm thinking it might benefit from a re-cut too.

Make sure to show pictures! I have a blue spinel I want to recut but I'm scared to. It gets destroyed, I can't replace. Boooooo.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubellite4.jpg

Big enough to lose a small amount during recutting for a more sparkly stone, as the colour is nice, IMHO!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I just ordered another pretty from Starlanka. Must stop! :)

Violet Purple Umbalite Garnet 5.16 Carats. 11.5x10x5.5mm. Cushion shape, VS, $848.

purple garnet.jpg

It's here!

It is very dark
purplegarnet1.jpg

But it lights up, under the right conditions:
purplegarnet2.jpg

A re-cut will help optimize the bright, light flashes? I do like it and plan to keep it. :)

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's here!

It is very dark
purplegarnet1.jpg

purplegarnet2.jpg

A re-cut will help optimize the bright, light flashes? I do like it and plan to keep it. :)

Glad you like it and the gamble worked in your favour! :lol-2:

That's the issue I have with Garnets is that they shift quite a bit in different lights, and my starter/learner stones from Jeff D are all too brown for my liking, so I have stopped buying Garnets.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
It's here!

It is very dark
purplegarnet1.jpg

purplegarnet2.jpg

I actually really like in its darkened state. It reads more of a true purple (at least on my ipad) whereas the second image in brighter light seems to have a lot more pink.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I actually really like in its darkened state. It reads more of a true purple (at least on my ipad) whereas the second image in brighter light seems to have a lot more pink.

In real life, the flashes are a more vivid, red-pink color. I'd call it fuschia or magenta. I really like the color it lights up to in real life, but it's definitely not purple.

This was the only one at the time (Starlanka) that said "violet" purple, whereas the others just said "purple." So maybe the red-pink color it lights up as is what they meant by "violet." Just in case it helps anyone. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CMN

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This pearl pendant turned out way bigger than I was expecting. Keep or give away/gift? I’m afraid it’s too big and “cutesy” - then again, I’m not a big necklace wearer, so may just need to get used to it?
IMG_1435.jpeg
IMG_1432.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks!

That's what I thought when I opened the box too, even though they were made to my design specifications!

I had concerns about the size of LGDs in the pink Sapphire ring might overwhelme the centre stone before it went into production, and still had the same concern when I opened the box.

However it grew on me in no time, and I love it now!

The Sapphire pops at me and can hold its own in that setting!

And I love the blue Zircon ring too - I finally have a JW windmill of my own!

DK :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This pearl pendant turned out way bigger than I was expecting. Keep or give away/gift? I’m afraid it’s too big and “cutesy” - then again, I’m not a big necklace wearer, so may just need to get used to it?
IMG_1435.jpeg
IMG_1432.jpeg

Personally I believe it is a very lovely pendant and it is something I would consider buying myself, in white metal.

However I would want a custom chain that is adjustable to suit different necklines.

The chain as it is would be too long for my liking personally.

DK :kiss2:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Eli22, that's more edgy than cutesy. Give it a chance?

I think it is more edgy too. I think it's probably something that is more taste specific. Do you like it enough to give it a chance?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results