shape
carat
color
clarity

Your first PS CS

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was your first PS CS? The first CS stone or ring since joining PS? When did you buy it? Do You still own this piece? Would you still buy it nowadays?
Please post pics!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first PS CS. Purchased in 2014 from Leon Mege with help from @arkieb1 who helped me to better ‘see’ and review the stone, including its drawbacks.
I prefer bigger stones but I still find the colour mesmerizing. The ring is a bit tight for me at the moment, but I still enjoy it to the max. I looved the weird colour and glow when I first saw the stone and I still do now.
What is your first PS CS @elle_71125 @arkieb1 @chrono @missy @dk168 @mochiko42 @Niel and other PSers?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll play!

My very first CS I purchased after joining PS was a Thai yellow sapphire from Master Cut Gems in May 2010 -- I asked Michael E to set it with a Stuller head and an Adwar shank -- but later sold it -- having learned I'm just not fond of yellow gemstones in general.

My 2nd CS purchase was the following month, in June 2010, also from Master Cut Gems -- a 1.005ct Andalusite -- which I had Julia Kay Taylor set in an argentium/18kt YG leaf motif ring -- I still have (and love) this ring and always pull it out to wear during the Fall months.

1650040669431.jpeg

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first CS ring was a teal tourmaline. I bought it from Jason Brim, in 2015, and had it set by David Klass in 2016. I still have this ring and wear it regularly. The color is beautiful and not one I’ve come across regularly so I would absolutely buy it again, given the chance.
Besides, it’s a halo ring. You know I love halo rings. :mrgreen:

A2F157FB-D302-4AB3-892C-D6826ECAC676.jpeg

7DF69DC3-0CE2-4119-B9F1-A035A9B072FC.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E20EECD5-AD5B-4CD8-AE33-4125BC1A292D.jpeg
05087204-C202-4799-9539-9A28A623ADD5.jpeg
C7738AE8-801E-4104-AC22-832DEB2ED784.jpeg
My first PS CS. Purchased in 2014 from Leon Mege with help from @arkieb1 who helped me to better ‘see’ and review the stone, including its drawbacks.
I prefer bigger stones but I still find the colour mesmerizing. The ring is a bit tight for me at the moment, but I still enjoy it to the max. I looved the weird colour and glow when I first saw the stone and I still do now.
What is your first PS CS @elle_71125 @arkieb1 @chrono @missy @dk168 @mochiko42 @Niel and other PSers?
I d roll over this paraiba ring regularly, let me tell you. It’s magnificent! :kiss2:

I'll play!

My very first CS I purchased after joining PS was a Thai yellow sapphire from Master Cut Gems in May 2010 -- I asked Michael E to set it with a Stuller head and an Adwar shank -- but later sold it -- having learned I'm just not fond of yellow gemstones in general.

My 2nd CS purchase was the following month, in June 2010, also from Master Cut Gems -- a 1.005ct Andalusite -- which I had Julia Kay Taylor set in an argentium/18kt YG leaf motif ring -- I still have (and love) this ring and always pull it out to wear during the Fall months.

1650040669431.jpeg

What a beautiful ring. I love those leaves! :kiss2:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'll play!

1650040669431.jpeg

I love this ring!

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock

Great thread! I am still in LOVE with your ring! :kiss2:

Voodoo Child

Shiny_Rock
My first CS ring was a teal tourmaline. I bought it from Jason Brim, in 2015, and had it set by David Klass in 2016. I still have this ring and wear it regularly. The color is beautiful and not one I’ve come across regularly so I would absolutely buy it again, given the chance.
Besides, it’s a halo ring. You know I love halo rings. :mrgreen:

A2F157FB-D302-4AB3-892C-D6826ECAC676.jpeg

7DF69DC3-0CE2-4119-B9F1-A035A9B072FC.jpeg

Impressive ring, impressive toe beans!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader and @bright & shiny what are your first PS CS pieces?
Thank you for your kind words @bright & shiny

My first PS CS was actually from a PSer @peppermintpatty and it was this green tourmaline:

52FC6A2B-AFA5-4073-85DB-8F22FEE1D1B1.jpeg

What is funny as I was actually looking for an emerald and having a hard time finding one I liked within the budget so I ended up purchasing this green stone even though it doesn’t look like an emerald. I was just looking for green stones and I thought it was really pretty! So I wanted to set it in an art deco halo but Wisepricescopers told me it would black out so I just ended up setting it in a very simple setting :
0754BC53-EAB9-4EF8-AD8E-A8EC16934239.jpeg

But then I had an art deco halo on the brain from my first plan ha ha. So I still thought Emerald but instead fell in love with this amazing mint tourmaline from finewater and PSers enabled me.

9357B4EB-D1B7-4F76-865E-0E11722E76F9.jpeg

6C8EEE97-61F8-43D9-A703-08C0588304BE.jpeg

THEN I found an emerald with a color I liked and within budget LOL. Which became my three stone emerald.

4CD5E3E9-1826-4076-BC08-D09AA43BF7B7.jpeg

So my first three stones ha ha. That I bought all within the span of three months.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rings @Mreader . Your green adventure sounds like a true PS journey. Thanks for sharing your beautiful rings.

@Voodoo Child what is your first PS CS?

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
My first was a "Cartier" ring that was not authentic. Thankfully, I was able to return it. It was supposed to be for our 10th anniversary. The next was a spinel, from a lovely PS'r. Then a Ross Copleman handmade ring with tiny ruby. After that, I went a little crazy and purchased all kinds of stones (Dana, Jim M, and a few PS's). Those included - and were shortly followed shortly by an opal set by DKJ.

The "Cartier" Fake, but I loved it so!

DSC0E1172.JPG

Then the PreLoved spinel - fun and always beaming. Shown with the Copleman anniversary band. The small rubies are much more red IRL. Hard for an iPhone to capture - especially in direct sunlight.
IMG_4739.jpeg

My earliest loose stone purchase (now I have many more) - what a blessing and curse! Includes a blue zircon - several peridots, a most likely synthetic yellow sapphire, and pear emerald and diamond.

IMG_1992.jpeg

Then the opal - it's impossible to capture the welo - it's spectacular IRL - 3D and so much color. IMG_8346.jpeg

Next, I am still in love with the non-Cartier - and may try to re-create it.... I did try to buy it from the vendor for less than I had paid, but they gave me a refund and took it off their site. Never to be seen again (except in cached pages that still pop up). Sigh

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Trying to remember......I think it was a pair of Spessertite garnet earrings then a single stone from Roger Dery set into my old emerald ring.

hand and orange.png

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I remember my first PS color stone purchase! I needed help finding a lavender spinel. I finally bought one that was the color I wanted, but it had cut issues. After being recut by Dan Stair, I had it set in my first custom CS ring by DK. I still love this ring & love the lavender spinel. But with what I know now, probably would have kept looking as I paid more than I should have for a stone that needed a recut.
I still tend to buy stones with the color as my top concern though.
20220415_153226.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Jus the one actual piece of CS jewelry, and that is my red spinel-ring.
I bought the spinel a few years before and didn't know how to set it...enter PS. Only a few of my spinels are what would be real 'PS' quality.
I've been here a while but my journey with actual pieces hasn't really begun. I make a great PS support animal for others though! :lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first was a "Cartier" ring that was not authentic. Thankfully, I was able to return it. It was supposed to be for our 10th anniversary. The next was a spinel, from a lovely PS'r. Then a Ross Copleman handmade ring with tiny ruby. After that, I went a little crazy and purchased all kinds of stones (Dana, Jim M, and a few PS's). Those included - and were shortly followed shortly by an opal set by DKJ.

The "Cartier" Fake, but I loved it so!

DSC0E1172.JPG

Then the PreLoved spinel - fun and always beaming. Shown with the Copleman anniversary band. The small rubies are much more red IRL. Hard for an iPhone to capture - especially in direct sunlight.
IMG_4739.jpeg

My earliest loose stone purchase (now I have many more) - what a blessing and curse! Includes a blue zircon - several peridots, a most likely synthetic yellow sapphire, and pear emerald and diamond.

IMG_1992.jpeg

Then the opal - it's impossible to capture the welo - it's spectacular IRL - 3D and so much color. IMG_8346.jpeg

Next, I am still in love with the non-Cartier - and may try to re-create it.... I did try to buy it from the vendor for less than I had paid, but they gave me a refund and took it off their site. Never to be seen again (except in cached pages that still pop up). Sigh
What a gorgeous collection. That opal looks incredible (and yes, it’s impossible to catch their full beauty in a picture)

I remember my first PS color stone purchase! I needed help finding a lavender spinel. I finally bought one that was the color I wanted, but it had cut issues. After being recut by Dan Stair, I had it set in my first custom CS ring by DK. I still love this ring & love the lavender spinel. But with what I know now, probably would have kept looking as I paid more than I should have for a stone that needed a recut.
I still tend to buy stones with the color as my top concern though.
20220415_153226.jpg
I can’t believe this was your first CS purchase!
I am still in awe of what a recut did for this beauty. It brought it to life.
I’m with you on overspending on gems (or in my case, keeping ones I’m not fully in love with). I love that setting so much though. I totally have it saved for future setting ideas.

Jus the one actual piece of CS jewelry, and that is my red spinel-ring.
I bought the spinel a few years before and didn't know how to set it...enter PS. Only a few of my spinels are what would be real 'PS' quality.
I've been here a while but my journey with actual pieces hasn't really begun. I make a great PS support animal for others though! :lol:
sparkleshot2.jpeg
I am absolutely in love with your spinel ring. There’s something about that East West orientation that just kills it on this ring. I’d be happy to babysit it for you...:evil2:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first PS CS was actually from a PSer @peppermintpatty and it was this green tourmaline:

52FC6A2B-AFA5-4073-85DB-8F22FEE1D1B1.jpeg

What is funny as I was actually looking for an emerald and having a hard time finding one I liked within the budget so I ended up purchasing this green stone even though it doesn’t look like an emerald. I was just looking for green stones and I thought it was really pretty! So I wanted to set it in an art deco halo but Wisepricescopers told me it would black out so I just ended up setting it in a very simple setting :
0754BC53-EAB9-4EF8-AD8E-A8EC16934239.jpeg

But then I had an art deco halo on the brain from my first plan ha ha. So I still thought Emerald but instead fell in love with this amazing mint tourmaline from finewater and PSers enabled me.

9357B4EB-D1B7-4F76-865E-0E11722E76F9.jpeg

6C8EEE97-61F8-43D9-A703-08C0588304BE.jpeg

THEN I found an emerald with a color I liked and within budget LOL. Which became my three stone emerald.

4CD5E3E9-1826-4076-BC08-D09AA43BF7B7.jpeg

So my first three stones ha ha. That I bought all within the span of three months.

I can‘t believe you got all of these within 3 months! Talk about a killer streak! They’re all gorgeous but that emerald is my absolute favorite. It’s absolutely perfect! :kiss2:

What was your first PS CS? The first CS stone or ring since joining PS? When did you buy it? Do You still own this piece? Would you still buy it nowadays?
Please post pics!

A wee 1.48ct. unheated Ceylon pad purchased back in 2011... sold it and wouldn't buy it again. Nice color, cut, and clarity, but I'm more size-greedy these days! :P2 Great thread, OP!!

PadNaturalLight2.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stunning “spessartite“ garnet ring I was so pleased with and proud of.
clever girl I thought.
Nope.
learning curve no 1 - sapphires come in orange
learning curve no 2 - lab grown orange sapphire is a thing.
25A9F5FB-BAD1-4251-A2A2-FDD2B2BB3D3B.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Acinom for the tag.

I still have my first PS CS ring, an inexpensive JD EC Aquamarine back in 2015 and I still wear it occasionally.

jdaquaring_01.jpg

DK :))

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1st piece bought after joining PS

5+ carat Paraiba marquise cabochon from Adam /Paraiba International, and have since sold it. I would not buy again because was in constant fear of banging it against something
They still have my heart tho :love:
C786574A-880E-4143-8E17-ABB30319CEAE.jpeg

4F8D44E9-1920-431D-A4D5-48698FCA1111.jpeg

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1st piece bought after joining PS

5+ carat Paraiba marquise cabochon from Adam /Paraiba International, and have since sold it. I would not buy again because was in constant fear of banging it against something
They still have my heart tho :love:
C786574A-880E-4143-8E17-ABB30319CEAE.jpeg

4F8D44E9-1920-431D-A4D5-48698FCA1111.jpeg
I remember and love both of these pieces!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first joined PS, the Show Us You Mahenge Spinels thread caught my attention. My only knowledge of spinels were inexpensive black beads and so these were totally new to me.

As with the bright glowy paraibas, I was fascinated with these hot pink stones that fluoresced. Then I read posts about "magenta" mahenge spinels and I had to have one even though I missed the boat by quite few years. After all magenta was my favorite Crayola crayon color as a child.

Jaimeen from Prima picked out a few stones for me but they were more pink. I then reached out to Yvonne (CRD) without luck. Yvonne said she knew what I was looking for and would look on her next visit to Prima. Since I'd already went through stones with Jaimeen, I was totally surprised when she told me she'd found my stone (literally on Jaimeen's floor :lol-2: )

Since I went to him first, Yvonne left it with Jaimeen to sell to me rather than take the sale/markup. In awe that she did that for me, I was determined to give her future business (and have). The start of what turned into a great friendship.

Jaimeen brought the stone along with the others to Intergem so I could compare in person before buying. I'd never seen a loose CS before and was shocked at how small it was ;(. $700 was more than I spent on most of my jewelry pieces and here I was going to spend it on this tiny stone. (To assure me, Jaimeen let me take the stone to a setting vendor to see how it would look set before buying).

I still have it. I have a few other mahenges but this is still my favorite hands down. In fact, if I had to sell most of my stones, this would be a keeper. So yes, I would absolutely buy it again.

Here is Jaimeen's description and picture:
1.09 cts Emerald Cut Mahenge Spinel. Measures 6.2 x 4.7 mm. This is the one and only true old stock spinel I have left. It is what everyone calls "Magenta Spinel" and was picked out by Yvonne for you. Nice cut and color as you can probably tell from the pictures. To my eyes this one has 60% pink, 30% red, 5% purple and 5% orange. If "old stock magenta" is what you're looking for then the buck stops here (at least for my inventory).
prima.jpg

I've never been able to take photographs that do the stone justice.
- It looks pink-red indoors..bright in all lights
- Pinker outdoors
- I've sat outdoors and all of sudden watch the stone suddenly glow like it's possessed (way more intense than the photo)

20220415_170936.jpg

20220415_170734.jpg

Last edited:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
When I first joined PS, the Show Us You Mahenge Spinels thread caught my attention. My only knowledge of spinels were inexpensive black beads and so these were totally new to me.

As with the bright glowy paraibas, I was fascinated with these hot pink stones that fluoresced. Then I read posts about "magenta" mahenge spinels and I had to have one even though I missed the boat by quite few years. After all magenta was my favorite Crayola crayon color as a child.

Jaimeen from Prima picked out a few stones for me but they were more pink. I then reached out to Yvonne (CRD) without luck. Yvonne said she knew what I was looking for and would look on her next visit to Prima. Since I'd already went through stones with Jaimeen, I was totally surprised when she told me she'd found my stone (literally on Jaimeen's floor :lol-2: )

Since I went to him first, Yvonne left it with Jaimeen to sell to me rather than take the sale/markup. In awe that she did that for me, I was determined to give her future business (and have). The start of what turned into a great friendship.

Jaimeen brought the stone along with the others to Intergem so I could compare in person before buying. I'd never seen a loose CS before and was shocked at how small it was ;(. $700 was more than I spent on most of my jewelry pieces and here I was going to spend it on this tiny stone. (To assure me, Jaimeen let me take the stone to a setting vendor to see how it would look set before buying).

I still have it. I have a few other mahenges but this is still my favorite hands down. In fact, if I had to sell most of my stones, this would be a keeper. So yes, I would absolutely buy it again.

Here is Jaimeen's description and picture:
1.09 cts Emerald Cut Mahenge Spinel. Measures 6.2 x 4.7 mm. This is the one and only true old stock spinel I have left. It is what everyone calls "Magenta Spinel" and was picked out by Yvonne for you. Nice cut and color as you can probably tell from the pictures. To my eyes this one has 60% pink, 30% red, 5% purple and 5% orange. If "old stock magenta" is what you're looking for then the buck stops here (at least for my inventory).
prima.jpg

I've never been able to take photographs that do the stone justice.
- It looks pink-red indoors..bright in all lights
- Pinker outdoors
- I've sat outdoors and all of sudden watch the stone suddenly glow like it's possessed (way more intense than the photo)

20220415_170936.jpg

20220415_170734.jpg

And...now I want one. ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, stunning. :kiss2: Your entire collection is simply out of this world gorgeous @Acinom

I am not a colored gem expert and own nothing of importance except for the Black Opal ring from Cartier that my parents gave to me. It was after I joined PS so I guess you could say that was my first post PS gemstone.

But my first colored gem stone ever was a gift by an antique dealer who was a friend of my parents. Sadly he died of AIDS in the 80s and in his will he left me a gorgeous antique peridot pin. It was my first gemstone IIRC.

I have bought small gemstones since joining PS but nothing significant. A ruby necklace. Ruby earrings.

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 6.30.10 AM.png

But the peridot pearl pin will always be a dear gift to me since David left it especially for me in his will.

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 6.20.48 AM.png

I don't have any good photos of it and it's back in the safe in NYC but here's the only close up I have.

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 6.26.34 AM.png

Peridot is my birthstone.

Adding my Cartier Black Opal ring. Just for eye candy.

cartierblackopalwinter.png

Last edited:
Wow, stunning. :kiss2: Your entire collection is simply out of this world gorgeous @Acinom

I am not a colored gem expert and own nothing of importance except for the Black Opal ring from Cartier that my parents gave to me. It was after I joined PS so I guess you could say that was my first post PS gemstone.

But my first colored gem stone ever was a gift by an antique dealer who was a friend of my parents. Sadly he died of AIDS in the 80s and in his will he left me a gorgeous antique peridot pin. It was my first gemstone IIRC.

I have bought small gemstones since joining PS but nothing significant. A ruby necklace. Ruby earrings.

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 6.30.10 AM.png

But the peridot pearl pin will always be a dear gift to me since David left it especially for me in his will.

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 6.20.48 AM.png

I don't have any good photos of it and it's back in the safe in NYC but here's the only close up I have.

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 6.26.34 AM.png

Peridot is my birthstone.

Adding my Cartier Black Opal ring. Just for eye candy.

cartierblackopalwinter.png

I'm so terribly sorry to hear about the loss of your family's friend. What a lovely reminder he left you of your friendship.

A few things... First, it's so nice to see a FACE around these parts! You're beautiful!! Second, posting photos of furbabies will always win you points in my book. Third, that opal is my dream ring.

The end.

This ring is SICK!! I can't believe it was your first PS purchase. Some people wait a lifetime for such a beauty to come along. :drool: It's the finest color paraiba I've ever seen "in real life." And it compliments your gorgeous skin tone so well. I'm really pale and pasty... I just fade into the background. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results