shape
carat
color
clarity

Your engagement ring or your cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''d have to be my cell phone I give up, because my e-ring is an heirloom, and it means a lot to me.

If the diamond was not an heirloom, I''d rather have the cell phone. I can live without jewelry, and the cell phone provides such a sense of security. It''s nice knowing that if something happens during travel, I can make a quick call and be safe.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:25:42 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Give up the cell phone easily. The entire world was working just dandy sans portable phones pre-1980''s
20.gif

We had kids, jobs, got directions, ordered pizza, etc. all without a cell tower.
This is true PP...we got along. But the cell is here and does make life so much better.

When I was in second grade, my mom was late to pick me up. One by one all the kids were gone and I was left to sit on a bench by myself. I started to get scared that my mom died on the way to pick me up and all the teachers were gone (although I don''t think I would have thought at the time to go into the admin office.) I just sat there, freaked out and on the verge of crying.

I still remember the incident vividly and I was only 7. I had nightmares for some time after that my mom had died. If I had only known somehow back then my mom was OK, I could have been spared quite a bit of stress!

I don''t think too much of the cell as security, but I love that it makes me accessible, and others as well. I''m not stressed on the 405 stuck in traffic because I can just call who I am meeting to say I am going to be a bit late. Maybe it saves lives because we aren''t rushing and driving like maniacs. (Although I''d find that hard to believe with the maniacs I see on the 405!)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cell phone. I am sick of everyone calling me 24/7. I long for the old land line days.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In giving up my engagement ring, can I keep my wedding band?

By cell phone, do you mean all cell phones? I have a regular work cell phone and an on-call work cell phone. I couldn''t do my job without either of those since they are considered to be both for our safety and the part of the company''s service.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
cell phone.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Cell phone... And I am never without my phone!!! I just could not bear to part with my beloved e-ring!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 5:10:19 PM
Author: Addy

By cell phone, do you mean all cell phones? I have a regular work cell phone and an on-call work cell phone. I couldn''t do my job without either of those since they are considered to be both for our safety and the part of the company''s service.
Yup, ALL cell phones. I''m mean, I know.
11.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 5:13:03 PM
Author: TravelingGal

By cell phone, do you mean all cell phones? I have a regular work cell phone and an on-call work cell phone. I couldn't do my job without either of those since they are considered to be both for our safety and the part of the company's service.
Yup, ALL cell phones. I'm mean, I know.
11.gif

It's not mean. I don't have an attachment to my ring or to my phone. I truly only use my cell phone when the trains break down and I want to tell DH I'm running late. Since I don't have an attachment to either, I'd choose to keep my job.

I'd give up the ring. I need to be on-call for my job. If I refused to carry a cell phone and my company found out I'd likely be fired for breaching their policy.

Wait, do I keep the wedding bands? Even if I can't wear them, could I keep them?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
this thread shocks me! I dont have an ering but you would have to pry my iphone from cold dead fingers. If I could NEVER have a cell phone again I would DEFINITELY give up my (hypothetical) ering.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 5:14:33 PM

Date: 3/3/2009 5:13:03 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Yup, ALL cell phones. I''m mean, I know.
11.gif

It''s not mean. I don''t have an attachment to my ring or to my phone. I truly only use my cell phone when the trains break down and I want to tell DH I''m running late. Since I don''t have an attachment to either, I''d choose to keep my job.

I''d give up the ring. I need to be on-call for my job. If I refused to carry a cell phone and my company found out I''d likely be fired for breaching their policy.

Wait, do I keep the wedding bands? Even if I can''t wear them, could I keep them?

Yes, I am only talking e-ring here, assuming that is where the big rock lies.

9.gif
Wedding bands could be kept and worn .

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cell phone.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, TGal. I think I''m thinking way too hard about this. But I do have my final decision. I''d give up the engagement ring. It''s nice enough, but I''ve never really liked it the way I should. I think DH would be sad but as long as that didn''t come to bite my relationship in the arse later, bye bye ring!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been thinking about this for a while before I replied, weighing the pros and cons.

I think I''d give up the cell phone. My husband bought my e-ring and it''s meaningful for us. I don''t have kids. If I did, I know my answer would be different. Of course, if I didn''t have a cell phone, I have this horrible vision of my husband buying me a pager so he could track me down when he needed me.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''d give up the e-ring. I did without one for the first 27 years of marriage and got along just fine. I am very sentimental about my husband, but not about rings. I''m also not sentimental about my cellphone and got along without one for many years, but it does make life easier and it allows me to work from home most days which allows me more time to spend with the people I care about.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TAKE MY CELL PHONE! Please.

I hate it. I hate that people think I should be reachable by phone at every minute of every day because I own a cell phone.

Why don''t I get rid of it, you ask? Because *I* want to be able to reach a select few people at any minute of any day.
11.gif

But I could totally do without it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bill GATES and wife Melinda would give up their Iphones.
2.gif
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/40926

I would give up my cell phone. I use to be attached to it but people use to do without them so I think I could give up the phone for the ring.
9.gif

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Although my e-ring means a lot to me, I would have to give it up. In my career, I need to be available to my colleagues and to my clients at all times. Especially since I spend so much of the time travelling. If I refused to have a blackberry, I am certain that I would lose my job.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:53:27 PM
Author: AprilBaby
Cell phone. I am sick of everyone calling me 24/7. I long for the old land line days.
Stop answering it. Don''t give the number to everyone. Sign up for the DO NOT CALL list. Turn it off. Let it ring.

All of which I do/did. And I refuse to set up voice mail on my cell. (It''s okay, I have no kids.) If I want to talk to someone, I''ll know by the number which appears. If I don''t want to talk, they can''t leave a message.

I find it very liberating.
9.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 6:55:53 PM
Author: HollyS
Stop answering it. Don''t give the number to everyone. Sign up for the DO NOT CALL list. Turn it off. Let it ring.

All of which I do/did. And I refuse to set up voice mail on my cell. (It''s okay, I have no kids.) If I want to talk to someone, I''ll know by the number which appears. If I don''t want to talk, they can''t leave a message.

9.gif

I''m a screener too, Holly! I''m such a bad offender that my close girlfriends will often leave messages saying "I know you''re screening your calls right now, but this one is really important. CALL ME BACK!" Sometimes, I''ll go for days without checking my "missed call log" or my voicemail messages. It does feel quite liberating, you''re right.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have an e-ring, but if it was a case of never having one or giving up my cell, I hate to say it, but I''d give up the e-ring
7.gif
It would just be really really hard to keep in touch without my cell...and I''m too addicted to being connected to give it up.

I get to still have right hand rings though right??

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:30:26 PM

Date: 3/3/2009 2:42:04 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
I''d give up the ring.

Besides my addiction to being connected, I feel safe with my cell phone at times. Dark parking lots . . . a friend of mine was raped after someone got in her car in the Wal-Mart parking lot. No way in hell would I give up my phone. EVER!
Just curious but exactly how would a cell phone have prevented that?

Let''s say you''re on the phone with a friend. Friend hears you gasp and realizes you''re in trouble. Friend hangs up and calls 911, and even gives them the location of where you are. Do you really think the cops are going to arrive in time to prevent what only takes about 3 minutes?

For those of you who are somehow feeling safe because you have cell phones, stop and think. I don''t want anyone deluding themselves into a false sense of security. Generally it only means you won''t have to walk to a pay phone to report what has already happened.
I never said it would prevent it. However, a lot of phones have a GPS locator built in these days. I think it''s becoming more common. So potentially years down the road you could track in real time where someone is. I''m just thinking ahead. Technology advances quickly.

Today however, I will say that just a month or so ago I was out of town shopping at a mall. I didn''t know it that well and the parking lot didn''t speak well to me. I called my FI on the way out as it was dark. I figure that a lilkely random attacker would go after someone not on their cell as oposed to someone who is. In no way do I feel like a cell phone prevents bad things from happening to me. And it''s not a false sense of security. But given the choice I''d rather have one on me than not at all. Thank you very much.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:20:45 PM

Date: 3/3/2009 4:30:26 PM

Date: 3/3/2009 2:42:04 PM
I''d give up the ring.

Besides my addiction to being connected, I feel safe with my cell phone at times. Dark parking lots . . . a friend of mine was raped after someone got in her car in the Wal-Mart parking lot. No way in hell would I give up my phone. EVER!
Just curious but exactly how would a cell phone have prevented that?

Let''s say you''re on the phone with a friend. Friend hears you gasp and realizes you''re in trouble. Friend hangs up and calls 911, and even gives them the location of where you are. Do you really think the cops are going to arrive in time to prevent what only takes about 3 minutes?

For those of you who are somehow feeling safe because you have cell phones, stop and think. I don''t want anyone deluding themselves into a false sense of security. Generally it only means you won''t have to walk to a pay phone to report what has already happened.
I never said it would prevent it. However, a lot of phones have a GPS locator built in these days. I think it''s becoming more common. So potentially years down the road you could track in real time where someone is. I''m just thinking ahead. Technology advances quickly.

Today however, I will say that just a month or so ago I was out of town shopping at a mall. I didn''t know it that well and the parking lot didn''t speak well to me. I called my FI on the way out as it was dark. I figure that a lilkely random attacker would go after someone not on their cell as oposed to someone who is. In no way do I feel like a cell phone prevents bad things from happening to me. And it''s not a false sense of security. But given the choice I''d rather have one on me than not at all. Thank you very much.
You can look back at my post and I do like having the cell phone for ''safety'' reasons. I would definitely opt to keep it. However, being on the cellphone I feel makes you a bigger target because you aren''t as aware of your surroundings. I used to SWEAR that that wasn''t the case and it was ''safer'' but next time you''re on the phone think about everything you can''t hear. Don''t get me wrong, I still call my mom when I go outside to walk the dog at night or in parking lots, etc bc it makes ME feel safer. However, I know there is nothing she could do if someone came and attacked me.

Also, this is random, but there was a girl at my uni that was leaving a bar and on the phone with her BF when someone pulled her aside and raped her. She was on the phone crying and screaming the whole time telling him where she was, but by the time he got there it was too late.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
I''d give up my cell phone in a heartbeat, but touch my ring and there''ll be trouble!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don''t answer mine either. Luckily in my state it''s illegal to drive and talk on the phone at the same time (you have to be pulled over for something else first, but then if you''re on your phone you get a ticket for that), so I ALWAYS use the "I was driving to the store," as an excuse!

Oh, and I have every number possible saved on my phone, so if the school''s nurse calls, her own line pops up from my contact list, so I never miss the important calls.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
My cell phone, I never even use it.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow am I in a minority? I''d hate to do it but I would have to give up my e-ring
6.gif
My iPhone is more than just a phone, my whole life is wrapped around in it so tightly I don''t know if I can survive a week without it
31.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

9.gif

Only close friends and family have the number and if I don''t feel like talking I don''t answer or leave it home. They all get mad at me for not being available at their beck and call. TOUGH.
3.gif

natalina

Brilliant_Rock
Can I say my DH''s cell?!?! That crackberry is practically sewn to his hand and it drives me BONKERS! Although he does need it for work, and we do need hime to have a job, sooo....take my phone. No way jose on my ring!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Cell phone, without a doubt. I don''t want/need to be that accessible to anyone for any reason.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
E-ring! (as long as I could have a huge eternity w-ring!)

Honestly I wonder how we ever existed without cell phones. It just makes life so much easier. I text or call my sister about Portia and what is happening that day, Greg to bring home what type of dinner, our general contractor to ask about the garage door arrival..all within a few minutes. It makes things so much more effective. Not to mention safe... stranded on the side of the road or a tire goes flat. I use it for work a fair amount but other than that, it's more for staying in touch with family and friends. Who has time to use the landline at home?!? We didn't even have a landline for 5 years...we just used our cells.

More interesting would be something like e-ring or internet? hehee.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results