carat
color
clarity

Your best non-bling purchases?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shall start with the most recent one.

Shortly before lockdown, I upgraded by cheapo plastic student clarinet to a Yamaha YCL 650, their entry level professional wooden clarinet that has very good reviews.

The difference in quality is significant the moment I picked up the new clarinet, it does not leak as much, and produces warmer and better sound compared to my plastic student one.

It is a joy to learn to play with it as it encourages me to practice more, whereas I would get frustrated for not being able to reach certain notes due to leakage with my student one.

So glad I decided to take the plunge to get it. I was debating at first as I thought about switching to an alto Saxophone, and decided against it as it would mean finding another teacher, and I get on well with my current clarinet teacher (he is not comfortable to teach me to play the Saxophone).

Would anyone like to share your best non-bling purchases?

DK :))

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
An outdoor table tennis table is, hands down, the best purchase we've ever made as a family. We've spent hours on it over the last few years and, because you're doing something else, the kids will tend to talk to us while playing in a way that they can't/won't in most other places (except maybe in the car). It's the next best thing to a dog walk in terms of making us get out and active while still making casual chat easy.

The treadmill we purchased in a mildly crazed panic state during lockdown? Not such a great purchase so far in terms of cost per use...

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
A pizza oven. We can’t get pizza delivered to us and I hate frozen pizza. Our pizza oven has been amazing, although my waist line is growing and we keep having to have people over as everybody wants to try our pizza.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Pilates Reformer.
My Cybex Arc Trainer.

Love them so much I have more than one (3 Cybex arc trainers and 2 Balanced Body Reformers).

Hands down my best purchases. I bought them for me and I use them daily. Improves my health- both physical and emotional.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 i used to play the clarinet. I was first clarinet in the All Boro Band when I was young. I don’t for sure remember the specific clarinet but I think it was the one you just got. Enjoy! I used to love playing it. Very relaxing and rejuvenating at the same time. Music is healing and when you make it yourself it’s sweet.

ETA I still have it somewhere. I’ll search for it and let you know. The case iirc is gorgeous. Red velvet I think.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
WAHL haircut kit. My husband requires a haircut every 3 weeks or as he threatens he will cut his hair himself with scissors. Staub and Le Creuset cast iron enamelware. Emile Henry Flame clay pots. Berkey water filter. Canon 85mm f1.2 lens. Leerburg Amish leather leashes and collars for doggie.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Sebo Felix vacuum. It was expensive, but built to last, so it makes sense in the long run. I use it every day. The hose extension is wonderful for vacuuming dog fur from my couch. I am not a fan a canister vacuums, but I appreciate their many capabilities. With the Sebo Felix I got an upright vacuum with the same features as a canister vacuum. I probably sound like I'm in sales, lol.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
My Roomba, Robin. Such a hard worker and great buy. Got him $50 off at Costco! We got the 980 or 985 (whatever Costco sells) and I wish I got the one with the big dust bin. It’s ok though, the next one I buy will be the top of the line model. But with two double coated dogs and a cat he’s a lifesaver! Keeping my carpet fur free and cleaning 7 days/ week!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My #1 non bling related purchase....a Litter Robot. This baby has changed my life! I’ll never go back to a standard litter box.

We also have a robot vacuum. We have 4 dogs and 3 cats so I really, really love that little guy.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
My #1 non bling related purchase....a Litter Robot. This baby has changed my life! I’ll never go back to a standard litter box.

We also have a robot vacuum. We have 4 dogs and 3 cats so I really, really love that little guy.

Which one did you get? I wanted to buy one so I was shopping Chewy but the reviews seem like a mixed bag.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just this week one of my favorite antique dealers had an Instagram sale since shows aren't being held right now. OMG, I almost felt guilty the prices were so good! English majolica, English transferware, and Staffordshire figures for way less than I usually see!!! I bought so much and I have no idea where I'm going to put it, lol!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either my pup, which I got for $120 at the pound (kind of cheating, nothing can beat a sweet dog), or my Barbour waxed jacket.

Where did you get the Barbour jacket? Love them!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Where did you get the Barbour jacket? Love them!

First one was on eBay, I got a men's Bedale secondhand because I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I wore that one traveling and loved it. Then I got a women's Beadnell from Nordstorm, full retail, and never looked back!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
My personal shopping cart! I wanted it a few years ago but did not really need it at that time. I got it in March to have for shopping to avoid having to sanitize a cart. I am happiest about no bags, no more cart return and I can push it with one hand even with a case of water on the bottom shelf.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 1.27.24 PM.png

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
An elastic strap storage thingie that was mentioned on here at Christmas time. It's about A5 size and made of elastic straps that hold things, in my case, everything from spare ear phones, a spoon, spare sookie sweety, rubber gloves, shopping bag, wipes - all the emergency 'just in case' junk that you have in a handbag. So now when I swap bags all I have to do is swap over the storage thing. I'm going to get a second one and use it for make up brushes.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Of course nothing can beat the fur babies but if I am going for not living things,

Two purchases recently I'm super happy with

1) Versa-lift - its a elevator in your garage to move things into the attic. We have a huge attic space and my husband has trouble with his knees. I am so relieved I don't have to worry he is going to fall and kill himself getting our 9 foot christmas tree down from the attic. It was not inexpensive but I really, really like having it.

2) A Yamaha player piano. My daughter has been taking lessons for the past four years on a nearly full size electric keyboard with pedals. She is now to the point where she needs the keys all the way to the ends so we had been looking for a while for a piano. This is my favorite purchase ever.

When I was a little girl, we would go to the upscale mall occasionally. They would have a pianist playing music and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I have loved classical music my whole life, I would stand there and listen for as long as my parents would let me. I wanted to take lessons but my parents couldn't afford them. Sometimes, the piano at the mall would be playing by itself because it was a player piano which was like magic to a little girl. I thought to myself one day I would love to have a piano that played itself. It was in my day dreams, the same ones with a wonderful husband and beautiful children, a mansion with elegant furnishings, and diamonds and dressing up to go to exciting places, that seemed far, far, from reality. I didn't even know anyone who lived that way. Time moves on, and day dreams fade, and I had truly forgotten over the years that it was something I had dreamed of until I saw this piano listed for sale. The first time it started to play, as I sat in my dining room drinking my coffee in my beautiful house four times as large as the one I grew up in, definitely would have thought it a mansion as a child, with elegant furnishings and surrounded by my family, I was overwhelmed with emotion and cried, it was so wonderful. I have arrived, reached the highest level of grandiose living that I could imagine as a child. I love that piano.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our best non bling purchase that we enjoy together is our tandem recumbent. We cycle a lot. Last year we cycled over 9,300 miles. We love cycling together and hands down the best purchase that we enjoy together.

A19182E4-A422-406F-A057-1425DAB368D8.jpeg

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Of course nothing can beat the fur babies but if I am going for not living things,

Two purchases recently I'm super happy with

1) Versa-lift - its a elevator in your garage to move things into the attic. We have a huge attic space and my husband has trouble with his knees. I am so relieved I don't have to worry he is going to fall and kill himself getting our 9 foot christmas tree down from the attic. It was not inexpensive but I really, really like having it.

2) A Yamaha player piano. My daughter has been taking lessons for the past four years on a nearly full size electric keyboard with pedals. She is now to the point where she needs the keys all the way to the ends so we had been looking for a while for a piano. This is my favorite purchase ever.

When I was a little girl, we would go to the upscale mall occasionally. They would have a pianist playing music and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I have loved classical music my whole life, I would stand there and listen for as long as my parents would let me. I wanted to take lessons but my parents couldn't afford them. Sometimes, the piano at the mall would be playing by itself because it was a player piano which was like magic to a little girl. I thought to myself one day I would love to have a piano that played itself. It was in my day dreams, the same ones with a wonderful husband and beautiful children, a mansion with elegant furnishings, and diamonds and dressing up to go to exciting places, that seemed far, far, from reality. I didn't even know anyone who lived that way. Time moves on, and day dreams fade, and I had truly forgotten over the years that it was something I had dreamed of until I saw this piano listed for sale. The first time it started to play, as I sat in my dining room drinking my coffee in my beautiful house four times as large as the one I grew up in, definitely would have thought it a mansion as a child, with elegant furnishings and surrounded by my family, I was overwhelmed with emotion and cried, it was so wonderful. I have arrived, reached the highest level of grandiose living that I could imagine as a child. I love that piano.

I love your story very much. It tugs my heart.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
IMG_20200608_134338.jpg

A hanging chair! So comfortable and relaxing.

That is so cool Ladygrey, I ordered an acrylic one for my teenage sons' room a few days ago, should arrive in about a week. I thought he would enjoy reading in it while slightly swinging since he is a fidgeter. We have stayed at a few places with hanging chairs and always really enjoy them. Wish I had a place for a few outdoors.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
An elastic strap storage thingie that was mentioned on here at Christmas time. It's about A5 size and made of elastic straps that hold things, in my case, everything from spare ear phones, a spoon, spare sookie sweety, rubber gloves, shopping bag, wipes - all the emergency 'just in case' junk that you have in a handbag. So now when I swap bags all I have to do is swap over the storage thing. I'm going to get a second one and use it for make up brushes.

We need a picture of this thingy - sounds immensely useful - and also where one can be bought

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
We need a picture of this thingy - sounds immensely useful - and also where one can be bought

One picture (or three) of said thingy (aka grid-it cocoon) available now from the House of Amazon.

IMG_20200726_100300490_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200726_100209576_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200726_100128903.jpg

I will admit to having spent several ahem, hours, working out the optimum position of each item. (One never knows when Dexter style serial killer gloves will be required).

I love anything that makes my life easier. Unfortunately it doesn't sparkle.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One picture (or three) of said thingy (aka grid-it cocoon) available now from the House of Amazon.

IMG_20200726_100300490_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200726_100209576_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200726_100128903.jpg

I will admit to having spent several ahem, hours, working out the optimum position of each item. (One never knows when Dexter style serial killer gloves will be required).

I love anything that makes my life easier. Unfortunately it doesn't sparkle.

Ooh, love this and you can add after market sparklies....just saying. ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sebo Felix vacuum. It was expensive, but built to last, so it makes sense in the long run. I use it every day. The hose extension is wonderful for vacuuming dog fur from my couch. I am not a fan a canister vacuums, but I appreciate their many capabilities. With the Sebo Felix I got an upright vacuum with the same features as a canister vacuum. I probably sound like I'm in sales, lol.

Haha I love our vacuum too and it was expensive but oh so worth it so I will add it to this thread. It was the Dyson V11 cordless. It is pretty amazing. I vacuum our entire house daily and that's a lot of vacuuming but it is (knock wood) so far holding up really really good.

dyson.jpg

We have three of these here and two in Brooklyn I love them that much. But the newest one is improved so I can vacuum the entire house on one charge. 3500 square feet on one charge. That rocks. I only use cordless because I hate plugging in and unplugging and replugging and this is (IMO) a great cordless vacuum.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paderno Grand Gourmet Series 1100 cookware made in Italy.

I bought my first ones when my then BF and later husband decided to set up home together back in 1996/7, and I spent months sourcing professional cookware for our newly built house.

In the end I settled for this brand and series for their stylish finishing on the pots with a contrasting mirror-finish stainless steel band at the rim against a satin finished body.

I joked with him at the time that if we were to part company, I would take these with me, along with my cook's knife and pepper grinder that I had since 1989 when I bought my bachelor flat in London.

And yes I took them with me when we parted company, and bought him replacement pots and pans so that he would not go without.

I added more pieces when I moved into my new home in 2006, and the oldest pieces are still as good as new to this day.

The only issue I have is that the pots especially the smallest two at 16cm and 18cm in diameter, do not have a pouring rim, however, that is just a tiny niggle.

I discovered that one of pots is not induction compatible when I started doing pop up kitchen events in Dec 19. Although inconvenient, however, it is NBD as I have many others that I can use instead.

They really are a joy to use.

Stock photo showing their low 24cm diameter stock/sauce pot with insert and a ? 20cm saucepan (I have these in my collection).

20200726_161804.jpg

The biggest one I have is a 28cm diameter low stock pot that I am about to dig out from the garage that I am clearing. It was been in storage since 2006, and I may need to lend it out for catering events that I organise or participate in future - sadly, the rest of 2020's events had all been cancelled due to Covid-19. :confused2:

DK :))

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vacuum sealer: this has greatly reduced food waste by extending the shelf life of cheeses, preventing freezer burn of bulk meat buys, resealing chip bags, and more. I can’t recommend it enough.

Rowing machine: we’ve had this for over two years now and it has really helped us get more exercise. It’s been especially useful during SIP!

iPhone: self-explanatory

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results