shape
carat
color
clarity

Yoram / Gemconcepts is cutting MMDs!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personal preference - it's good to have these new options! :))

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want an Octavia or a vintage Yoram asscher in MMD, as I will never be in the situation where I could afford a Mined stone in the colour/clarity/carat I would like! (2.5ct+, F+, VS1+)

Even then, as already mentioned earlier on this thread, an MMD of this size and cut quality from an artisan such as Yoram is going to run into five-figures... but that is an easier sell than, what, £40k+?? :lol:

I shall keep playing the lottery, don't need to win big, just enough for a MMD Octavia in the low 5-figure sum!

DK :lol-2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need to start playing the lottery... :lol: lol

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s time to change your Pricescope name from Simply and Sparkly to On Fire! That is one smoking diamond. Congratulations!

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone, I don't mean to thread-jack, just a quick question!
Does anyone know whether Yoram is open to cutting other MMDs? I was so excited to see that he's cut this octavia (especially for a PSer!) as I have always been obsessed with his antique cushions / old miners thanks to this site.
I've never been able to afford the stone in the size I'd like in a natural diamond but would be interested to see whether he'd cut a lab grown antique cushion.
Has anyone else reached out to him about future cuttings? I went to his website for more information but it wasn't working for me.
Thanks in advance for any replies=)2

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know whether Yoram is open to cutting other MMDs? I was so excited to see that he's cut this octavia (especially for a PSer!) as I have always been obsessed with his antique cushions / old miners thanks to this site.
I've never been able to afford the stone in the size I'd like in a natural diamond but would be interested to see whether he'd cut a lab grown antique cushion.
Has anyone else reached out to him about future cuttings? I went to his website for more information but it wasn't working for me.

He's such a lovely person so would respond to email if you can get it via the website still? He let me down gently when I enquired about the price of a mined Octavia lol You can but ask!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know he is open to it, as long as he can get the quality of rough he wants, in order to fulfill your needs.
Try to DM him on IG.

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to update you all on my initial conversation with Yoram.

He replied very quickly and answered all of my questions. While I won't post the whole message, the main takings from our chat were that he is open to cutting custom stones, but to make it economically viable it would need to be over 2.5cts because even though the rough costs less, everything else involved costs the same and takes the same amount of time or more, as if it were a natural diamond (which makes sense!).

The stone I am looking to cut is around 8.2 - 8.5mm so I have asked him whether that falls under his threshold or not.

I hope this helps anyone who is looking into having Yoram cut an MMD for them :)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
...and takes the same amount of time or more, as if it were a natural diamond (which makes sense!).

Thanks for sharing the info! It'll be my first request if I win lotto. I would happily have a Yoram cut MMD and 2.5+ carats is no problem LOL

I read on Alex's (Parks Fine Group) IG that his cutter said that the Type IIa (which I think most CVD stones are) seemed harder to cut than natural stones that may not be Type IIa. Not sure how likely that is but if lab roughs are indeed a bit harder to cut, I can't begrudge a cutter for charging accordingly.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the info! It'll be my first request if I win lotto. I would happily have a Yoram cut MMD and 2.5+ carats is no problem LOL

I read on Alex's (Parks Fine Group) IG that his cutter said that the Type IIa (which I think most CVD stones are) seemed harder to cut than natural stones that may not be Type IIa. Not sure how likely that is but if lab roughs are indeed a bit harder to cut, I can't begrudge a cutter for charging accordingly.

LOL

Same - "Oh no, my diamond has to be bigger than 2.5 carats! I have no idea how I'm going to cope..." :lol: lol

Interesting comments re: Type IIa MMD - I had pondered aloud somewhere on here previously about whether MMD might be easier to cut due to the more regular growth structure, but perhaps it's not the case or perhaps it's just a IIa thing!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to update you all on my initial conversation with Yoram.

He replied very quickly and answered all of my questions. While I won't post the whole message, the main takings from our chat were that he is open to cutting custom stones, but to make it economically viable it would need to be over 2.5cts because even though the rough costs less, everything else involved costs the same and takes the same amount of time or more, as if it were a natural diamond (which makes sense!).

The stone I am looking to cut is around 8.2 - 8.5mm so I have asked him whether that falls under his threshold or not.

I hope this helps anyone who is looking into having Yoram cut an MMD for them :)

Thank you for the information! :))

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
"Oh no, my diamond has to be bigger than 2.5 carats! I have no idea how I'm going to cope..." :lol: lol

Interesting comments re: Type IIa MMD - I had pondered aloud somewhere on here previously about whether MMD might be easier to cut due to the more regular growth structure, but perhaps it's not the case or perhaps it's just a IIa thing!

I want that problem!! To have to do extra hand muscle strengthening exercises in preparation to carry the weight... lol

Yeah, I'm not sure how true that is but as Alex's cutter is starting to do MMD antique step cuts for him, it's apparently taken him a little longer than with mined roughs. Seems physically harder?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want that problem!! To have to do extra hand muscle strengthening exercises in preparation to carry the weight... lol

Yeah, I'm not sure how true that is but as Alex's cutter is starting to do MMD antique step cuts for him, it's apparently taken him a little longer than with mined roughs. Seems physically harder?
Interesting!

I'm going to tag @John P as I know he has posted previously on such things and might be interested :))

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Type 2a mmds that were treated with HPHT are even harder then non HPHT treated type 2a mmds. Ada diamond CEO stated that somewhere (I think it was Reddit).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Every different kind of rough mmd or mined has its own tips and tricks and a learning curve to cutting it.
Ask anyone who regularly cuts all colors of Argyle rough how many swear words went into mastering it.
Better yet dont! lol

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@OoohShiny yes! He told me about it from the beginning and I’ve been so excited fo it to be posted!!! It’ll be amazing!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results