shape
carat
color
clarity

[Yet more] akoya coming from Takahashi... I'm so excited!!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'll be interested to hear about the longevity of the clasp system. I've never used them but love the concept. I've just always heard that they are a pain when the thread breaks at the clasp.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'll be interested to hear about the longevity of the clasp system. I've never used them but love the concept. I've just always heard that they are a pain when the thread breaks at the clasp.

The Japanese vendors usually use wires (not strings with them) right? I was told they last for years/decades. The pearl ropes/necklaces I have that are strung with wires are still going strong.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wire. Now there’s an idea. I didn’t think about using wire :geek:

I’d mentally settled on a mix of Tenara thread and normal thread… Hoping to achieve something like metal braces inside concrete, best of both worlds?

@katbran I think it would take something pretty strange to break the thread, outside of pulling too tight when stringing? Because the indent where the thread wraps round and round is pretty “deep” and seems well-protected… But now I’m thinking I’ll use gimp as well. Let’s see how that goes.

The other challenge (for me) is that the “pipe” portion needs to be glued to the inside of the pearl. Easy enough when starting the strand but this gets really messy on finishing a strand, with everything else that’s going on getting in the way!

14EE8166-B1E8-433C-8FBA-BBC1696A3D5A.jpeg

The Paspaley clasp that I want uses this system. I do love the way it looks and works when it’s all finished. It’s just such a pain to do!!

D9494A28-03C7-41D2-863A-8B629F9D0675.jpeg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Takahashi 9-9.5 babies all strung up (but the glue was still curing so string tails not cut) ::)

1_1.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1-2.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1-3.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1-4.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1-5.png

- - - - - - - - - -

1-6.png

There are INSANE! I'm so so COVETOUS.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is what ended up happening. After all the talk about thread switching - my FIL preferred a regular and symmetric pattern :bigsmile:

1679331303671.png

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that looks bad ass! I love it

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
So this is what ended up happening. After all the talk about thread switching - my FIL preferred a regular and symmetric pattern :bigsmile:

1679331303671.png

As someone who got antsy when he saw a stack of CD's that was even a bit crooked, this soothes the soul (laugh). Love the symmetry and love the little gold dividers.

Beautiful!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've got a strand of GSS that has this closure - made up for me in Japan. It's in 3 pieces that all snap together . As Icy said it's a common material used in Japan but not so much elsewhere. I'm not sure how the wire is secured once it's through the fixtures . Normally ,back in my stone and pearl beading days ,I always used jewellery wire as the interior of the stones could be sharp and cut through thread. When you finished you used a Crimp bead - wire threaded through and back again with the crimp metal tube closed/flattened with pliers. Wire was secured. But I can't see how the wire is finished with this 'pop bead' system. Definitely fine jewellery wire works well...not the same drape but it's very flexible and you can use the silicone bumpers to give more flexibility .

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was worried about the interiors of the onyx beads - exactly as you said. I ended up polishing all the drill holes with my dremel to be extra sure - I think I spent more time on these (super inexpensive!) onyx beads than anyone has ever even thought about spending on onyx beads :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couple pics I took tonight ::)

THese pics really highlight the body colour difference between Mikimoto and Takahashi studs - in normal daylight they look different, yes, but not all that different!! The pearls in the Takahashi bracelet are very nicely matched ❤️

Yssie_P2.png

Yssie_P1.png

Reactions: Ann

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Couple pics I took tonight ::)

THese pics really highlight the body colour difference between Mikimoto and Takahashi studs - in normal daylight they look different, yes, but not all that different!! The pearls in the Takahashi bracelet are very nicely matched ❤️

Yssie_P2.png

Yssie_P1.png

Your posts should come with a warning label, Yssie. I can't even wear that bracelet and I want one :eek2:. Some of your bracelet pearls match the studs in definition of the reflection and the others are NOT far behind.

What secret sentence did you whisper in the ears of Yy and Kan to get that quality for the bracelet? :mrgreen2: Takahashi gem's are beautiful but that is NOT run of the mill Takahashi gem quality.

Great illustration of the pinker body color from Takahashi. Why do you think they do so much more pinking in their process compared to Mikimoto?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Your posts should come with a warning label, Yssie. I can't even wear that bracelet and I want one :eek2:. Some of your bracelet pearls match the studs in definition of the reflection and the others are NOT far behind.

What secret sentence did you whisper in the ears of Yy and Kan to get that quality for the bracelet? :mrgreen2: Takahashi gem's are beautiful but that is NOT run of the mill Takahashi gem quality.

Great illustration of the pinker body color from Takahashi. Why do you think they do so much more pinking in their process compared to Mikimoto?

You stole my thoughts exactly, haha!! Maybe we can just say Yssie quality :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol-2: I told Yy this was a bucket list project and probably my last akoya purchase for a good long time! (She agreed and said south seas are waiting :lol:)

I think my Mikis just happen to be on the less-pink side to be honest, I’ve seen some really *pink* pearls at Miki! I didn’t have opinions on body colour when I bought - just luster and match ::) And mother’s not able to wear her Takahashi studs at the moment so they’re with me for now :bigsmile:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
:lol-2: I told Yy this was a bucket list project and probably my last akoya purchase for a good long time! (She agreed and said south seas are waiting :lol:)

I think my Mikis just happen to be on the less-pink side to be honest, I’ve seen some really *pink* pearls at Miki! I didn’t have opinions on body colour when I bought - just luster and match ::) And mother’s not able to wear her Takahashi studs at the moment so they’re with me for now :bigsmile:

True, I saw quite a bit of body color variability with different miki pieces. Here are two Miki studs I saw. I thought I was going to like the whiter AAA one more initially but as soon as I saw the pinker AAA pair, I went WOW.

Get us some Miki vs Takahashi stud ear shots! :pray:

1679805244834.jpeg

Although to be honest, I’m not sure if body color alone is the reason the picture above looks that deep a pink. The ear picture below is with the dark pink pearls above and it looks like a MUCH lighter pink.

1679807575272.png

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results