shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another white gold vs platinum question...

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
I've currently got a platinum ring. Looking at a potential upgrade.

Everything I've read about platinum makes it seem to sound more favourable. Most people seem to recommend it over platinum.

- however -

so many people on here have white gold, not to mention, despite all of the good qualities of platinum, many people have said their jeweller recommended white gold, probably because it is easier for them to work with, but still...

I've not got a problem with replating white gold, and I actually don't like how much heavier platinum is on my hand... my main concern is the longevity...

so my long winded question is: white gold wearers: why did you choose it instead of platinum? How long have you had your ring? Has it worn down over time and if so was it difficult to repair? If you're vigilant about upkeep, does it really make a difference that gold metal is lost when scratched and platinum is only displaced?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original rings were yellow gold, so I can tell you about the wear part. After 25 years, the bottom part of the shank was worn thinner and the tips of the prongs (which were white gold) had to be redone. That was a consideration in my getting a new setting when I got my new diamond after that. I think the primary reason people choose white gold is because it costs less than platinum. The other reason is that some have seen platinum that is softer and scratches easily. That is why we talk about getting a harder platinum alloy here when people ask about metals. Unless you have a very thick ring, the weight is not a consideration really. I can feel the weight of my platinum ring when I hold it with my fingers, but I certainly do not feel the weight when the ring is on. I do have one white gold ring and the rhodium has worn off. It has a slight tint of yellow gold. I like it and have left it as it is. Rhodium gives a more chrome-like appearance to me, and that is one reason I prefer platinum. The other reason is that I might need my platinum rings polished every 5 years, but judging from that one white gold ring, I'd have to do the rhodium plating more often. I do have pendants and things in white gold and they do not seem to lose the plating at all, so I do use white gold for other pieces of jewelry.

cardinal74

Rough_Rock
A local jeweler I'm considering working with tells me they have their white gold made in such a way that it's not rhodium plated. I forget the specifics, but it was a 14k alloy, and not plated at all, so it won't "yellow" over time.

The company has been custom making jewelry in the area for over 20 years and everybody swears by them, so I'm strongly considering going with that over platinum.

For me and my gf, the only thing we wanted from the metal is that it's "white" (which is funny to me because it's anything but white), and that it's durable. The jeweler probably makes more money from platinum, but based on the priorities I expressed he strongly urged I consider their white gold option, even though I walked in wanting platinum.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
The majority of my jewelry (earrings and necklaces) is set in white gold. However, my engagement and wedding rings are platinum. The only jewelry items I tend to be really picky and OCD about are my rings, and I "have" to have platinum as far as rings go. But my preference is at odds with yours; I love the heft of platinum. I think it really just boils down to individual preference since each metal has its own advantages and disadvantages.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
many people prefer WG over platinum, it is just personal preference. I have platinum but have never worn rings before my engagement ring so I have nothing to compare! Do you know what alloy it is? I think palladium white gold never has to be plated. Also, some people prefer the softer look of unplated WG (yssie's ring is a great example!)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there is a Stuller alloy called X1, I think, that does not have to be plated and palladium white gold may not, either. So do explore your options with wg because some are better choices than others, just as is true with platinum!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I have a fairly petite platinum setting, and I really like the weight of it. It definitely doesn't feel too heavy to me, and I like that it has some 'substance'. I have tried on some white gold engagement ring settings, and they seemed so light - it just wasn't my preference.

Of course, I haven't had my ring for very long, so I'm not really sure about the patina that develops over time, or how I will like it.

My high school ring is actually made of white gold, but it is 10k, so I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes. I've worn it almost every single day for nine years now, and I haven't noticed any thinning, nor have I had to have it re-plated. I have no idea about the alloys used, though. It's also not that light, but it's definitely thicker and less petite than my engagement ring, so that might have something to do with that (maybe along with the fact that it is 10k white gold, which I don't think is recommended for engagement rings).

Honestly, I think that both are beautiful metals. They both have pros and cons. I wouldn't get platinum just because it's marketed as the better metal, because there are plenty of people who truly love white gold more - because they don't like the patina that platinum develops, they don't like the weight of platinum, etc.

I have found that different jewelers have different opinions regarding the metals, at least around here. Some seem to believe that platinum is the better metal, and others recommend the white gold.

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
The embarrassing/funny thing is when I got my e-ring I had never even heard of platinum. The only platinum I knew about was PS3 games! :loopy: not to mention I only wore gold not white gold so I was like what's this silver ring you got me?! :lol: now my jewellery collection has switched over to silver/white gold/platinum. I'm not sure what to do, we have a savings account going and in a few months I'll be able to either get a whole new e-ring (which is why I'm considering using white gold but not sure if I'll regret it), upgrade my current ring or just add a platinum wedding ring!

Problem is I live in Perth (Australia) and there are not many jewellers to pick from. And if I want platinum anywhere they have to custom make it (except 4 tiffany's) I haven't spoken to any jewellers but the sales assistants haven't a clue what alloys are used! I will definitely have to do some looking into it though...

I suppose my decision will be based on which metal the particular jeweller I go with is most comfortable with.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am one who actually prefers the color of white gold (plated or unplated) over that of platinum. My white gold rings are all rhodium-plated and I've had a number of them for 10+ years - while I am careful with my rings, they are all in excellent shape showing very little wear or scratches.

My wedding band (plain metal, no stones) perhaps gets the most wear and only after 10 years did it show signs of requiring re-plating. I never got around to it, and now 2-3 years later am considering keeping it unplated as I've come to enjoy the creamy color - but I've been planning to re-set my ER ring and will be switching that over to unplated white gold since I can tell a color difference between the unplated and the plated rings.

I've never owned a platinum ring - still, my advice would be, if you've enjoyed your platinum ring and like the color, perhaps you should stay with platinum. If you are meh about the characteristics of platinum, then maybe just go for the new setting that speaks to you regardless of the metal.

If you do choose plated white gold, you should be aware that people have different experiences with the rhodium plating - and some people's skin reacts in such a way that plating is required much more often. If I had a choice, I would go with the newer white gold alloys that don't require plating.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I chose white gold over platinum. I would like to get a few bands in different colors of gold (rose, yellow) to stack with. I know platinum and gold don't play nicely with one another so I thought this would be the safest route. Something to consider for those who like to stack! More options!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I personally love the look of 18k white gold over platinum. I am not a fan of the patina and small scratches that platinum develops rather rapidly, and I also like the way 18k holds engraving. It's just my personal choice for my own pieces.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I chose WG over platinum and it had NOTHING to do with price...as a matter of fact I would have paid MORE for the WG if I had to. My 1st e-ring was platinum and I loathed the patina that it developed. I LOVE the shiny look of plated WG. It always looks 'new' to me. I don't have to replate often. For rings that I wear frequently, I usually replate once a year. Other jewelry less often. Check with the jeweler making your ring...some will replate for free.

In addition, my platinum rings always go "out of round". Platinum is softer then WG. My current e-ring is 18k WG and its a very thin pave ring. If I had gotten it in platinum it would be misshapen by now (I cant help it for some reason--I think I clench my hands without realizing it). Because I chose WG, it still looks like the day I got it--perfectly round. My 1st e-ring had tapered baguettes and I actually lost one bc the ring went so out of round (although I have never heard of this happening to anyone else to be honest).

Either choice has its advantages and disadvantages. Its a personal preference....using WG isnt always bc its cheaper---some of us actually prefer it!

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
A thought occurred to me last night... if platinum only displaces when scratched rather than losing the metal, why does the shank still get thin over the years? :loopy: (I'm sure it takes a bit longer than gold, but still). Or does it just get out of shape? My ring actually is thinner at the bottom and that's what it was like when it was new, that's a bit weird or maybe it's a design choice to stop you banging it on tables and such.

I've been wearing my platinum ring around for almost 2 years now and it still looks pretty white and shiny. The colour is not yet a problem for me, actually, the colour is the main thing that I think I will miss if I switch to WG. Girls who have been engaged after me, who use white gold, theirs looks quite dull compared to mine even though it's newer. But they haven't heard about this whole rhodium plating thing!

I think I need two sets - one platinum and one WG :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results