shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another Tiffany Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thenewguy23

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

Its been a while since I last posted, but its great to see some of the same folks who helped me so much last year still on the board. This is truly the best place around to get unbiased, helpful information on diamonds (and I''ve looked!)

I realize the "Tiffany" question has been done to death, but I have a few musings and a question for the board.

First, some background. In searching for a diamond wedding band for my fiance, I went to some local B&M jewelers and found a 7 diamond .67 F color SI1 plantinum shared prong type setting for around $1,100. Liked it alot, didn''t love it.

Then, I found a Tiffany 7 diamond, .56 G color VS plantinum shared prong setting for $3,150. Loved it. The setting is nice and low, and the sides of the mount expose the diamonds. A truly great setting that I did not find anywhere else. Let''s just say that I felt much like "Kayla17" did on her post to this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/question-about-matching-a-band-to-my-tiffany-style-not-tiffany-co-but-same-style.9974/. And while I''m at it, here is the link to the Tiffany''s ring, in case you want to see: http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/diaband_shared_ring.asp?ring=half&

The musings begin. Just from a purely dollar standpoint, I was thinking that if I took each of these rings to an appraiser, the "local jeweler" ring would probably appraise around $700 for the diamonds and maybe $400 for the plantinum. As for the Tiffany''s ring, perhaps the diamonds would come in around $800 and the plantinum maybe $400. So it comes down to a matter of workmanship, and emotion. First, the workmanship - allow me to again reiterate that the setting is excellent craftsmanship, duplicated nowhere I''ve seen (and I looked a bit on our etailer''s sites as well). I have to think that the Tiffany''s workmanship, while excellent, should be able to be done for less than $2,000.

Which brings me to the little blue box (or a thing called emotion). For me, I''m not pegging this number at $2,000.

So here are the questions. Does anyone (B&M jeweler, e-jeweler) rival the quality of workmanship of Tiffany settings? Is it legal/moral for them to exactly copy the Tiffany shared-prong ring? I''ve seen it imitated, but certainly not duplicated. I would think any jeweler could make a killing selling exact copies of Tiffany''s jewelry for 1/3 less the cost - again, if this is legal / ethical.

Thank you in advance for your input.

thenewguy23

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Darryl, it sounds like you have your heart set on the Tiffany, so you should just get it.

A quick note about the "workmanship", though....Tiffany's doesn't craft these settings themselves. They are purchased from a supplier.....so I'd imagine that supplier (who is widely rumored to be Vatche) can produce a setting of equal quality considering they produce the one in use for Tiff's.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results