shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet Another OEC Thread...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try having your hubby take over the conversation when he’s back, as he’s the one with whom this jeweller has formed a relationship... And some men are just much more willing to discuss terms and settlements with other men (and it would be a lie to suggest that the jewellery industry isn’t filled with these sorts of men :roll2:)

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Super long post—apologies in advance.

I went to talk to Mr. Local Jeweler Turned “Friend” today to let him know that I wanted to return the diamond my husband bought from him. It went something like this:

Me-- “Now that I’ve had a chance to see the diamond in various lighting conditions and environments, I wanted to talk to you about it. While the outside of the stone has great sparkle and a nice facet pattern, I’ve noticed that it has a mushy, indistinct petal pattern under the table and it doesn’t really sparkle enough in that area either. I might have been able to overlook that, because it’s a great size and color, but I’ve also realized that it has a pretty blatant fisheye in some light conditions. So, I’m thinking I’d like to discuss a return or possible exchange”.

Mr. LJTF—“I can’t take it back because I’ve already paid the other guy/supplier. I can’t get a refund from him.”

(Note: At one point, long before my husband made this transaction, Mr. LJTF went on and on about how he could source OECs for me on memo. If I didn’t like them, he would just send them back. He could bring in as many as I liked… His source was a great one… It’s easy! And yes, I do understand what being ‘on memo’ means. It’s irrelevant to return policy, but I assumed he had a good, or at least reasonable, business relationship with this supplier.)

Me—“This is a lot of money for a diamond that I’m really not happy with… I would hope you’d care about my satisfaction, as your customer.”

Mr. LJTF—“I’m sorry, there’s nothing I can do. I can’t get my money back from the supplier. I already paid him.”

Me—“Really? You have a business relationship with this supplier that says once you hand over money, no refunds, even if you notice a problem with a diamond after the fact?”

Mr. LJTF—“blah, blah, blah… I can’t do anything. Your husband said you looked at the stone and liked it.”

Me—“At first, yes, I did like it. But when I really studied it, I realized that it’s cut too shallow. It’s got a fisheye. You’re a jeweler. This is your business. I’m not a professional, neither is my husband. Why didn’t you tell him ‘Hey this one’s cut a little shallow. Let’s try a different one’. Or maybe ‘This one has a bit of a fisheye. I wouldn’t purchase it’? ”

Mr. LJTF—“blah, blah, blah… I’m sorry.”

Me—“And your supplier… why does he have “Premium Cut” stamped on the wrapper of a stone with a fisheye?”

Mr. LJTF—“Lots of diamonds have fisheyes… blah, blah, blah… I’m sorry.”

I could go on, but I think you get the drift. My hubby is away on a business trip right now, and I’m not going to upset him long distance--I didn’t tell him about my hesitations yet anyway. So, my bling brothers and sisters… after a really good, hard, (very long) cry, I’m putting my Big Girl pants on to figure out my next step. As far as I see, my options are:

1. Keep my mouth shut, set the diamond, enjoy the large diameter, pretty sparkles, good color and other positive aspects of the stone, while ignoring the part-time fisheye. And then at the appropriate time, fess up about the full details (because I don’t keep secrets from my husband), and never buy from a local jeweler again.

2. Send it away to evaluate for a recut, and never buy from a local jeweler again.

3. Cry like a baby some more and when my husband gets home, send him down to kick Mr. LJTF’s ass. (Sort of kidding, I think…)

4. Sell it, lose a chunk of money, start over (…or not), and never buy from a local jeweler again.

5. Reconsider #3, and never buy from a local jeweler again.

Not really sure if I need advice or just virtual hugs, at this point.

Wow, just wow.

Firstly, sending a million virtual hugs your way! Cry as much as you like.

Secondly, I vote three. Definitely three. Is this jeweller not even open to a dialogue with this seller?

Tell us a bit more about the jeweller? Is he a private seller? Does he have a manager? What do you have in writing from him? I personally would want the name of his supplier and I would speak directly to them and just cut him out. I know he has a business but he sounds like a complete plonker.

Definitely option three. Go along with him.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Sooooo many hugs.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Also, may I just say it sounds like you handled the conversation with him very well. I don't do well with confrontation so that first 'er, nope' and I would have been like ok and run away with my tail between my legs. Then I would have bawled my eyes out, become seethingly furious and probably written many deleted rude letters!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Finally, depending on how this all works out, please start a new thread about this issue entitled something like 'jeweller not refunding us, where do we stand?' or something like that. It might achieve a different audience, hopefully with hints and tips.

I feel very hopeful you and your husband can work this out with this jeweller. However, don't settle, it will leave a sour taste in your mouth!

If it completely proves that it's impossible to get a refund, then a, never use him again, and b, I would vote looking into a recut to see what you would lose. Then design a fabulous bezel ring and show the beauty off!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry you are having to deal with this and what horrible business practice this jeweler has going on. At least you know if he absolutely won't take it back (even after husband intervention if you choose that route) that there is at least the possibility for s recut. So there are options! Don't lose hope, there is still plenty of possibility to turn this around and have a happy ending.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my god what is with that jeweller! That is so rude. I hope you can get some resolution on it or a recut

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you pay be credit card? Is it too late to do a "charge back" (not as described, or defective)?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, everyone for your kind words and good advice. But unfortunately, I really don’t have much in the way of recourse. My husband paid cash, so no credit card protections and I’m not sure that would have helped anyway. We were sold a 1.11 carat I SI1 diamond and that’s what we got, so I don’t think I can argue misrepresentation. The jeweler is the owner, so there’s no one higher up to talk to. I asked him several times to call the supplier and ask if a refund or exchange was possible. He kept telling me “that’s not how it works—once you pay for it, that’s it, you bought it “. Of course, that’s total BS. It doesn’t make sense that his supplier would never refund or exchange, ever. And mind you, I was sitting in a store full of jewelry. Might not there have been something of equal value sitting in one of the cases? It’s almost like he didn’t want to get stuck with a hard sell diamond. At one point, he tells me that the supplier’s address is on the GIA paperwork and if I’m ever in NYC, I can go visit him and talk to him myself. I was especially appalled at that comment.

I also told him that I didn’t see “Final Sale” or “No Refunds or Exchanges” posted anywhere in his physical store or on his website. Nor did I see it listed on the payment receipt, either. He just repeated that I saw the stone, liked it, my husband paid him for it, and there was nothing he could do. I looked at him and said, “Of course there is. You could refund my money or offer some kind of exchange.” But I got nowhere with him. This is all just a nightmare experience and a sickeningly hard lesson to learn. But in the end, it’s only money. No one is dead. No one has cancer. And I still have my loving husband and three fabulous kids and a better life than I probably deserve. My immediate task is to sort myself out emotionally, get my head on straight and when that's done, move forward with a plan. So that's what I'm going to do. And I want all of you to know that your support means the world to me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, was the stone sold to you as a final sale and if so does it state this on the receipt? I have a link to the law in our state which says the following:

"In (state omitted for privacy) sellers can set their own refund or exchange policies, provided that they post the policy in a conspicuous place for customers to see.

If there is no policy posted, you may return any new, unused item to the store with a proof of purchase within seven calendar days, and get a cash refund on a cash sale, or a credit to your account on a credit sale. You are not entitled to a refund on:

• Food
  • Perishable items, including live plants
  • Custom-ordered or custom-made items
  • Items that were sold “as is” or as a “final sale”
  • Items with no proof of purchase
  • Used items
  • Items which by law can not be resold, such as mattresses
Stores may charge a "restocking fee," which covers its cost for returning your unwanted item to its warehouse. If this restocking fee is part of the store's refund and exchange policy, it must be posted in a conspicuous place for customers to see.
Note also that tax law also affects refunds. Retailers cannot issue a refund on the sales tax portion of your purchase without having your printed sales receipt, and after 90 days, no refunds of sales tax are allowed at all, even with a receipt."

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking if he did not write "final sale" or "as is" on the receipt AND he does not have a visible return policy posted, you may be able to get a refund.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, was the stone sold to you as a final sale and if so does it state this on the receipt? I have a link to the law in our state which says the following:

"In (state omitted for privacy) sellers can set their own refund or exchange policies, provided that they post the policy in a conspicuous place for customers to see.

If there is no policy posted, you may return any new, unused item to the store with a proof of purchase within seven calendar days, and get a cash refund on a cash sale, or a credit to your account on a credit sale. You are not entitled to a refund on:

• Food
  • Used items
Stores may charge a "restocking fee," which covers its cost for returning your unwanted item to its warehouse. If this restocking fee is part of the store's refund and exchange policy, it must be posted in a conspicuous place for customers to see.
Note also that tax law also affects refunds. Retailers cannot issue a refund on the sales tax portion of your purchase without having your printed sales receipt, and after 90 days, no refunds of sales tax are allowed at all, even with a receipt."
I am wondering if the custom-order clause applies since it was not regular stock and a stone that he called in for her husband.

Regardless, I don't appreciate the way that he is treating you and agree that he could have offered to exchange for something of equal value within his stock. Great customer service is becoming harder and harder to find these days. It seems that many businesses today care very little about building a future client relationship. I am sure that you probably feel the same but, I would not do any business with him in the future.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Octo2005, if the receipt doesn't indicate it was a custom order (even if it was) would that omission be enough cause you think? At this point I'm tying to find any misstep he might have made that could allow her a refund.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

• Food
  • Used items
Wow, steph, that was a great find. Unfortunately, it was more than seven days when I went to see him. My husband paid right before the July 4th holiday and the jeweler conveniently went on vacation right after the holiday. The holiday was a busy time for me anyway and by the time I processed my thoughts and confronted him, it was a good 10 days after purchase. I think I have to accept the fact that the stone belongs to me whether I like it or not. I could possibly try and contact the supplier, but even if he's willing to work with me, I'm not sure I want to. I'd have to take a trip down to the city (not a big deal, really) and while I could sit and look at lots of stones, I'm not so sure I could pick a good one on the spot. I don't feel as though I could really trust the guy. I would assume that he sent what he thought was the best option, and that turned out to be a stinker. How do I know I wouldn't end up with something worse? I think my best option might be a recut, even though that's a little risky. I don't think I like the idea of setting the stone as is, and trying to ignore the problems.
I am wondering if the custom-order clause applies since it was not regular stock and a stone that he called in for her husband.

Regardless, I don't appreciate the way that he is treating you and agree that he could have offered to exchange for something of equal value within his stock. Great customer service is becoming harder and harder to find these days. It seems that many businesses today care very little about building a future client relationship. I am sure that you probably feel the same but, I would not do any business with him in the future.
I'll never set foot in his store again. I would have done plenty of business with him, had this not happened, and I would have sent him plenty of referrals, too. No way, now.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, everyone for your kind words and good advice. But unfortunately, I really don’t have much in the way of recourse. My husband paid cash, so no credit card protections and I’m not sure that would have helped anyway. We were sold a 1.11 carat I SI1 diamond and that’s what we got, so I don’t think I can argue misrepresentation. The jeweler is the owner, so there’s no one higher up to talk to. I asked him several times to call the supplier and ask if a refund or exchange was possible. He kept telling me “that’s not how it works—once you pay for it, that’s it, you bought it “. Of course, that’s total BS. It doesn’t make sense that his supplier would never refund or exchange, ever. And mind you, I was sitting in a store full of jewelry. Might not there have been something of equal value sitting in one of the cases? It’s almost like he didn’t want to get stuck with a hard sell diamond. At one point, he tells me that the supplier’s address is on the GIA paperwork and if I’m ever in NYC, I can go visit him and talk to him myself. I was especially appalled at that comment.

I also told him that I didn’t see “Final Sale” or “No Refunds or Exchanges” posted anywhere in his physical store or on his website. Nor did I see it listed on the payment receipt, either. He just repeated that I saw the stone, liked it, my husband paid him for it, and there was nothing he could do. I looked at him and said, “Of course there is. You could refund my money or offer some kind of exchange.” But I got nowhere with him. This is all just a nightmare experience and a sickeningly hard lesson to learn. But in the end, it’s only money. No one is dead. No one has cancer. And I still have my loving husband and three fabulous kids and a better life than I probably deserve. My immediate task is to sort myself out emotionally, get my head on straight and when that's done, move forward with a plan. So that's what I'm going to do. And I want all of you to know that your support means the world to me.

There are many excellent suggestions posted since I last saw this thread. This situation makes me feel so sad and angry on your behalf. Also quite awkward that your husband bought with cash. :(

Has your husband returned yet? I would love to know what type of conversation he has with this jeweller.

Heck, at this point I would phone the supplier. Also, I am not someone to particularly create a fuss either but at the point you have completely not succeeded in giving this stone back, I would post lots of very factual reviews online about this jeweller. Just statements of fact, you know? Nothing inflammatory per se, just factual. Certainly I would not go to a jeweller if I read a review stating the facts as you have said.

And you know, yes, it is only money, and not something terrible like cancer etc, but it's still important. You are allowed to be very upset about this situation.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, steph, that was a great find. Unfortunately, it was more than seven days when I went to see him. My husband paid right before the July 4th holiday and the jeweler conveniently went on vacation right after the holiday. The holiday was a busy time for me anyway and by the time I processed my thoughts and confronted him, it was a good 10 days after purchase. I think I have to accept the fact that the stone belongs to me whether I like it or not. I could possibly try and contact the supplier, but even if he's willing to work with me, I'm not sure I want to. I'd have to take a trip down to the city (not a big deal, really) and while I could sit and look at lots of stones, I'm not so sure I could pick a good one on the spot. I don't feel as though I could really trust the guy. I would assume that he sent what he thought was the best option, and that turned out to be a stinker. How do I know I wouldn't end up with something worse? I think my best option might be a recut, even though that's a little risky. I don't think I like the idea of setting the stone as is, and trying to ignore the problems.

I'll never set foot in his store again. I would have done plenty of business with him, had this not happened, and I would have sent him plenty of referrals, too. No way, now.

How long did the jeweller go on holiday? I would argue that him going on holiday meant that you were unable to meet the seven day law thing through no fault of your own.

Could you just phone the supplier and discuss your options with him? No need to take a big trip during that process. I mean - and I get that this is a big if - but if he's willing to work with you, he could then email you some options. You can post them here and people who are knowledgeable might be able to help you choose the best option. It might mean you have to pay a little more to fill the gap from whatever profit the jeweller made, but that might help get rid of this stone and what is now associated with it.

The alternative option is to get it recut. I would strongly encourage you to consider that, you might be surprised - I don't really know very much about recuts but perhaps they could keep it around the 1 carat mark.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The states don't all have the same laws about this kind of thing. E.g., in New York, a retailer's failure to post a return policy (can be "all sales final" policy) means the consumer has the right to return the item within 30 days (not just 7 days as in the state where @StephanieLynn lives) of the purchase & get a refund or accept a store credit; the consumer gets to decide which option, not the merchant.
https://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/get-consumer-help/articles/your-refund-rights-with-retailers/

But in other states, a consumer has no such recourse. This page highlighting the laws for all 50 states has some dead links, so is probably not up to date, but it could be a starting point for you.
https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/customer-returns-and-refund-laws-by-state.html

Fingers crossed for you!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MollyMalone, Natasha and I live in the same state that's why I posted that information, unless she bought it out of state....

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MollyMalone, Natasha and I live in the same state that's why I posted that information, unless she bought it out of state....
The jeweler is right down the the street from me, and yes @StephanieLynn is correct. The 7 day limit is the law in the state where we both live.

I should probably clear up something else. I reread some of what I wrote and it sounds like I'm throwing my husband under the bus. This is my own fault. I should have told him "No!" as soon as he told me that this guy and he had picked out an OEC for me. I waffled, let him show it me, and told him that it looked pretty. He didn't buy it until after I told him it looked nice. I should have known that he'd go ahead and pull the trigger after I said that.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't blame yourself, this guy just has some terrible business practices.

Even if you can't return it you could look into having it recut. I know people here have had favorable outcomes with a recut.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
The jeweler is right down the the street from me, and yes @StephanieLynn is correct. The 7 day limit is the law in the state where we both live.

I should probably clear up something else. I reread some of what I wrote and it sounds like I'm throwing my husband under the bus. This is my own fault. I should have told him "No!" as soon as he told me that this guy and he had picked out an OEC for me. I waffled, let him show it me, and told him that it looked pretty. He didn't buy it until after I told him it looked nice. I should have known that he'd go ahead and pull the trigger after I said that.

You have never sounded like you threw your husband under the bus. You are both normal people right, and you're not a diamond expert either. Why would you have told him no? Why wouldn't it have initially looked pretty? A lot of diamonds on initial looking look pretty. Why wouldn't you have been swept up in the whole thing? Be kind to yourself. Yes some mistakes have been made here, but you're also not the jeweller with the absolutely terrible customer service.

How long did the jeweller go on holiday for? If it were longer than seven days I wonder if that would be grounds for an argument with him.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Don't blame yourself, this guy just has some terrible business practices.

Even if you can't return it you could look into having it recut. I know people here have had favorable outcomes with a recut.

Absolutely agree, there have been some crazily amazing recuts that I have seen on this forum.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm still mulling over the options, but right now, I'm leaning towards a recut. I don't know if that's the smartest way to go, but I think it would be easier on me emotionally, then trying to fight with someone I don't ever want to deal with again. I may still call the supplier, but he's tainted by the stench of the other guy and I'm not crazy about having to deal with him either. I may feel differently in a few days.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I think that's wise. Give it a few days, discuss it with your husband and then decide on a game plan. I had similar emotional difficulties with my jeweller that I sourced my stone through - I struggled to deal with them and eventually just went with a stone so that I could walk away from them. Sometimes I think they rely on that, you know, people who would rather walk away than challenge. But equally it's totally understandable, sometimes it's really not worth the emotional distress to press something, sometimes.

Again I'm really sorry you've had this experience, that's not what any of us wanted for you when we advised you to pass on this stone. Having said that, it would be amazing to see the miracle of a recut!!! :D

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking about you @natasha-cupcake, I hope these few days have given you some comfort and clarity about what direction you want to go.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, I am so sorry you are enduring this rotten experience. I am so so sorry. How important is a good return policy when dealing with jewelry. It seems criminal, the way you were treated. I'd try the return and argue that you were within 7 days per your state law as the jeweler went on vacation. The threat of legal action might make him back down. I would also 100% write a review on google and yelp. I'm sorry.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone--wanted to give you an update. I took a few days to calm down, think about everything and talk to my husband, who’s home from his business trip now. He was more concerned that I was upset about the situation, than he was about the diamond itself. I was doing okay, but retelling the story brought an onslaught of new tears. One of the first things he said was “Don’t worry about the diamond. We can sell it or give it away for all I care. No one treats my wife like that. Do you want me to go down there and kick his ass?” Like me, he was only half kidding. He did call the jeweler and had a long tense conversation with him.

My husband said the guy “cried like a little girl” about how his margins are so low that he couldn’t stay in business if he accepted returns. My husband, who’s pretty quick on his feet, shot back with “well, your margins aren’t low enough to prevent you from taking vacations, are they?”). His excuse for no exchange was that I was “too difficult to please” and he couldn’t afford to get stuck with shipping charges on memo stones.

He did offer to give me a $500 credit towards a setting as long as it was something he had in stock, and also offered to waive setting charges. Or if I didn’t want to keep the diamond, he said he could put it on consignment in the store and “probably” waive consignment fees. I’ll give him credit for making any concessions at all, but I don’t want to set this diamond, so his first offer is unhelpful. And I don’t think he has the amount and quality of foot traffic to sell it on consignment, so that’s not very helpful either.

My husband doesn’t want to pursue a legal remedy. He says we’d end up paying a lawyer almost as much as the diamond is worth. He likes the idea of calling the supplier (he would do this, not me), to try and make a trade (even though the jeweler said the supplier won’t do that). If that doesn’t work, then maybe, or probably, the recut option.

Thanks for listening and sorry for these horrifically long posts. You are all such wonderful people here and I so appreciate your empathy. And no more PriceScope breaks for me—to much bling to admire.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I can't stand this guy..."difficult to please". A good jeweler would want you to be happy and would know that a negative experience will get around and cost him a lot more in lost revenue than a return.

At least you have a wonderful and supportive husband, that counts for a lot. Can't hurt to talk to the supplier, the worst he can say is no but this jeweler might be blowing a bunch of smoke and you might find you can get somewhere with the supplier. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone--wanted to give you an update. I took a few days to calm down, think about everything and talk to my husband, who’s home from his business trip now. He was more concerned that I was upset about the situation, than he was about the diamond itself. I was doing okay, but retelling the story brought an onslaught of new tears. One of the first things he said was “Don’t worry about the diamond. We can sell it or give it away for all I care. No one treats my wife like that. Do you want me to go down there and kick his ass?” Like me, he was only half kidding. He did call the jeweler and had a long tense conversation with him.

My husband said the guy “cried like a little girl” about how his margins are so low that he couldn’t stay in business if he accepted returns. My husband, who’s pretty quick on his feet, shot back with “well, your margins aren’t low enough to prevent you from taking vacations, are they?”). His excuse for no exchange was that I was “too difficult to please” and he couldn’t afford to get stuck with shipping charges on memo stones.

He did offer to give me a $500 credit towards a setting as long as it was something he had in stock, and also offered to waive setting charges. Or if I didn’t want to keep the diamond, he said he could put it on consignment in the store and “probably” waive consignment fees. I’ll give him credit for making any concessions at all, but I don’t want to set this diamond, so his first offer is unhelpful. And I don’t think he has the amount and quality of foot traffic to sell it on consignment, so that’s not very helpful either.

My husband doesn’t want to pursue a legal remedy. He says we’d end up paying a lawyer almost as much as the diamond is worth. He likes the idea of calling the supplier (he would do this, not me), to try and make a trade (even though the jeweler said the supplier won’t do that). If that doesn’t work, then maybe, or probably, the recut option.

Thanks for listening and sorry for these horrifically long posts. You are all such wonderful people here and I so appreciate your empathy. And no more PriceScope breaks for me—to much bling to admire.

Your husband sounds wonderful. Good man! Also that's great, I'm glad he was so quick witted. I'm the type of person to have nothing to say at the time and then come up with all the clever comments afterwards that I missed the opportunity for. Then I get quite annoyed with myself! :lol:

Too difficult to please! Oh my gosh. I'll give him too difficult to please! What sort of nonsense is that?! He is the one who said all the things that lured you and your husband into this in the first place, all those nice things that you would want to hear. :x2 You are not too difficult to please. You sound like someone who would have been really easy to please! Some sort of refund. Or an exchange! Easy peasy! Somehow he has still failed at this basic task.

If he does anything he does it in writing, so if you do end up using him for consignment then in writing he charges you nothing.

Good luck with the supplier, let us know how your husband gets on. I hope something can be done there.

If that doesn't pan out, have you had any further thoughts about investigating for a recut? I feel quite optimistic about that as a viable option!!!

Best of luck and no worries about your 'long' posts. They don't reach long by my definition anyway... :whistle:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear. Sending hugs your way for all that happened but your husband is terrific and a sweetheart.

I also feel quite optimistic about a recut. Recall someone sent in a chipped stone for recut recently and it turned out amazing? Does anyone have the link/contact for recut?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results