shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another colored ering post

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Athen

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I''ve been lurking around the site for about a week and am loving all of the colored erings that I''ve seen. At first when the FI and I started looking at rings, I started looking at diamond centers w/ colored sidestones but they didn''t really CALL to me. Then when I started looking at the eye candy I realized that I really wanted the color to take center stage. No offense to the diamond lovers but that''s just not my bag. Most would agree that I''m attracted to things that are different and unique.

So, I''ve browsed the forums and really like this setting:
bezel set w/ diamonds in palladium. I love the setting but am concerned that it may be too delicate for my large size 8 finger.

Now, for the stone. I think I''ve narrowed it down to a spinel, love the broad range of colors and the price doesn''t hurt either since I tend to like the colors that are not considered "top" colors. I like the salmony pad-type, coppery orange and I lurrrve the gray spinel that glitterata posted. So, I guess I''m looking for opinions on what would look good in the setting and/or suggestions on settings that might be similar to the one but more substantial.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry which item #? I''ve bought from them before, their side diamonds were beautiful, sparkly and white.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean the second setting on the page? If so, I don''t think it will look lost on your size 8 fingers. Here''s a similar ring on my hand when my fingers were a size 7. For comparison the central stone is a tri colour sapphire and is just over 1ct - so around 6mm.

In terms of which colour you should choose? That''s so difficult because only you know what you''d be happy with long term and what colour you''ll enjoy looking at all the time.

Athen

Rough_Rock
Sorry, please bear with the noob. It is item # 368708.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2009 6:40:22 PM
Author: Athen
Thanks for the example - I definitely like the scale of that one but I really like the modern feel of the one. Here is a similar setting: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Ring-Of-Light--Diamond-Engagement-Ring_1368.htm#

I know!! It''s so difficult to decide on the colored stones. I love them all so much and I see now why they are so addicting!
Aaaah I see now! lol

Well, if you''re just having a bezel and not a halo (sorry I misunderstood) then I''d be tempted to go for a gemstone that''s at least 8mm to give finger coverage.

Why don''t you post up examples of gemstone colours you like, give us a budget and I''m sure the esteemed coloured stoners will find you something. Gypsy is amazing at finding stones as are the others.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this right?

mcgivernbezel1309.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes 8 mm,,, is a great size. Do you have a cutter in mind too? maybe one of the beloved PS cutter can cut a special gem for you? Just to add a special touch
1.gif

Athen

Rough_Rock
D&T -- Yep, that''s the one!!

I love the color on this one: orangy red spinel but I''s prefer a round. Gary D suggested another one but I think it would be a bit small and is a lighter pink than I''d like.

I love the coppery color on this one it''d really pop against the setting.
copper but it is a bit small...

And now for something completely different The medium gray one I think the color is very interesting also.

My budget is from 0-750 though I could go to 1000 if I really fell in love.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Barry at ACS doesn't have much up, but do you think you would mabye like something from him? maybe ask him if he has and spinel roughs laying around and what colors they are. I always find it fun to pick a color you like and ask one of the cutters what they have laying around too.
ETA: I'm not loving the gray stone you posted.

Athen

Rough_Rock
I can surely get in touch with him - it would be exciting to have a stone especially cut for my ering :). I can send him an email.

What is it that you''re not loving about the gray one? I like the color in the photos but knowing that they tend to darken in other light settings concerns me that it''ll just look like a lump of coal in the bezel :) But I do love that medium gray on my screen ;-).

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2009 7:54:25 PM
I can surely get in touch with him - it would be exciting to have a stone especially cut for my ering :). I can send him an email.

What is it that you''re not loving about the gray one? I like the color in the photos but knowing that they tend to darken in other light settings concerns me that it''ll just look like a lump of coal in the bezel :) But I do love that medium gray on my screen ;-).
lol.... just me personally and my preference. However, Barry has this Sliver Topaz on his site and I think looks beautiful.

barrysilvertopaz111.JPG

Athen

Rough_Rock
That is a gorgeous topaz, it''s just the hardness that concerns me, I don''t want to have to baby it too much. Love the hint of gray though.

Athen

Rough_Rock
I love that bright red one too - sheesh, you are a temptress!! "Honey, do you mind if I have multiple e-rings that I''ll change out depending on my mood?"

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I think one should have more than ''one''...
31.gif

Athen

Rough_Rock
I totally agree Mochi...now to convince my FI.....
11.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great idea. I love that ring. I can''t wait to see what you get.

Athen

Rough_Rock
Thanks MarcyC,
It''s much more of a process, I think, to do it this way but I know I''ll get something that I love. I''m so excited!! :)
36.gif

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2009 7:19:14 PM
I love the color on this one: orangy red spinel but I''s prefer a round. Gary D suggested another one but I think it would be a bit small and is a lighter pink than I''d like.

I love the coppery color on this one it''d really pop against the setting.

copper but it is a bit small...

Be careful with this colour - I was looking to buy that first one. Make sure you ask for colours in daylight, fluorescent, and incandescent lighting. In fluro, that top one has quite a brown overtone (or maybe it was incandescent - I can look it up if you want to know)

Good luck! Garnets are nice too, but not as hard, if you want to go down that route.

Athen

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the heads up Magenta - don''t think I''d care much for the brown tone. :) And thanks for the tip - I appreciate it.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Barry raved about that silver topaz when I asked him about it. I keep looking at it over and over. I think it would be an awesome stone. It has a hardness of 8 so it would be very appropriate for an ering stone I think.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2009 11:27:16 PM
Author: cinnamon013
Barry raved about that silver topaz when I asked him about it. I keep looking at it over and over. I think it would be an awesome stone. It has a hardness of 8 so it would be very appropriate for an ering stone I think.
I keep looking at the Topaz over and over, and clicking on it to see if sold... Maybe I''m just posting it here too so someone would buy it...lol.. saves my pocket book from depleting any further too.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2009 11:38:17 PM
Author: D&T

Date: 6/28/2009 11:27:16 PM
Author: cinnamon013
I keep looking at the Topaz over and over, and clicking on it to see if sold... Maybe I'm just posting it here too so someone would buy it...lol.. saves my pocket book from depleting any further too.
hehehehe I think we look at the same stones! I sure do want to click on the mali now that it is back on the site and hit the "buy" button. It would make a great necklace for my daughter.

Sorry to hijack!

Back to ering stones...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results