shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another blue sapphire engagement ring search thread ; )

michael_m

Rough_Rock
Re: Yet another blue sapphire engagement ring search thread

Thanks TL! No more questions, for tonight atleast... ;))

Aerix

Shiny_Rock

TL|1322080853|3067883 said:
Here's a larger cushion, similar color, and less expensive.

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2006/bluecns170-sm.html

Ooh! I love this cushion! I saw it the other night, but I recently bought a round sapphire from Simply Sapphires and it's supposed to be delivered soon. If you check on their website, they're having a 25% off sale and if you're subscribed to their email, you'll receive a 40% off too (can't be combined with the 25% off.)

I'm not sure, but if you email John I think he might be willing to send it to AGL or GIA to have it certified. They sell a few already certified sapphires on the site too.

michael_m

Rough_Rock

Hi TL,

Thanks for the find, but that stone may be too lavender for the lady's liking. I've contacted Gemfix about the 1.44 CT, and they have confirmed it is not violet when seen in person, but rather a bright medium cool blue.

That said, the stone you find has me thinking about pricing. Given that it is similar (but bigger) to the Gemfix stone, how can one account for such a big price difference? I guess what I'm asking is why is the simply sapphires stone so cheap? It's a good sized stone, with VVS grade and Ceylon origin... yes, it's heated, but it can be had for $350 with their current promotion; what am I missing :confused: Does the Gemfix stone have a high premium on it because it's cut by Andrew, and not a native cut. I'm just having a hard time understanding the whole pricing thing with sapphires.

I have contacted John, and am considering having him send me 3 of his pieces to look at in hand. I'm definitely not ruling his pieces out despite my points above.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

michael_m|1322085519|3067910 said:

Hi TL,

Thanks for the find, but that stone may be too lavender for the lady's liking. I've contacted Gemfix about the 1.44 CT, and they have confirmed it is not violet when seen in person, but rather a bright medium cool blue.

That said, the stone you find has me thinking about pricing. Given that it is similar (but bigger) to the Gemfix stone, how can one account for such a big price difference? I guess what I'm asking is why is the simply sapphires stone so cheap? It's a good sized stone, with VVS grade and Ceylon origin... yes, it's heated, but it can be had for $350 with their current promotion; what am I missing :confused: Does the Gemfix stone have a high premium on it because it's cut by Andrew, and not a native cut. I'm just having a hard time understanding the whole pricing thing with sapphires.

I have contacted John, and am considering having him send me 3 of his pieces to look at in hand. I'm definitely not ruling his pieces out despite my points above.

When searching for gems other than white diamonds, you'll find there's sometimes no rhyme or reason why one gemstone is priced so differently from a very similar gemstone of the same species. It's like finding a generic blue shirt at one store for $40 and the same shirt at another store for $60. It's part of the retail business, and gemstones don't come with a MSRP price like a car. You need to do your own research, and just make sure you're not "overpaying." If the Gemfix stone is the only one you can find that fits the bill, than it probably is worth it to you, and while it's not inexpensive for what it is, I think its a fair retail price.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock

Just another vote of confidence for Gene of precisiongem.com-- great guy, and he cuts fast. I prefer lighter toned blue sapphires, and he was the one who cut my e-ring stone (see my avatar). Mine is the lightest rough he had at the time, I believe, and it's a Montana sapphire. Montana's generally tend to be a little bit more steely/ gray than sapphires from other origins, though. It is very sparkly and has quite a bit of dispersion, due to the cut and the light tone of the stone.

Here's a bigger version of my avatar.

Be sure to tell him the size you'd like and the cut (cushion) in addition to the colors you'd prefer. I wanted a light, blue-green or blue-purple sapphire.

The other sapphire looks beautiful, but it could be more violet in real life. The vendor should be able to tell you that, though. Sapphires, in my limited experience, look their most beautiful in daylight (in particular, blue sapphires). My stone doesn't color shift too much, but it is most blue in daylight.

Re: Price
Price varies dramatically by vendor-- Gene is very reasonably priced in my opinion. Dan Stair (customgemstones.com) seems to have darker blue sapphire rough when I checked with him, but his prices are very, very good. Price does not necessarily dictate the quality of the stone, at all. Pick the one(s) you like best to look at in real life!

IMG_4657c.jpg

IMG_4568c.jpg

michael_m

Rough_Rock

Yes, making sure I'm not over paying for a stone is important; I'm going to try to not let price (in this case perceived low prices) influence my perception of a stone.

@chloeishere Thanks, I'm definitely considering Gene.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

michael_m|1322086695|3067928 said:
Yes, making sure I'm not over paying for a stone is important; I'm going to try to not let price (in this case perceived low prices) influence my perception of a stone.

Precision cut gems generally have a premium because they're cut with special machines and by artisans that try to maximie light return and precision in the facet meets and proportions of the stone. While the gemfix stone is cut, I believe it's a recut, and therefore, it may have some inherent characteristics of the original cutting on the stone. Gene cuts all his stones from rough, as far as I know.

That being said, Gene is extremely reasonable for a precision lapidary. Some are more expensive.

michael_m

Rough_Rock

TL|1322088173|3067938 said:
michael_m|1322086695|3067928 said:

Precision cut gems generally have a premium because they're cut with special machines and by artisans that try to maximie light return and precision in the facet meets and proportions of the stone. While the gemfix stone is cut, I believe it's a recut, and therefore, it may have some inherent characteristics of the original cutting on the stone. Gene cuts all his stones from rough, as far as I know.

That being said, Gene is extremely reasonable for a precision lapidary. Some are more expensive.

I certainly don't mind paying a premium for fine artisan work. It truly is amazing what some people can do with rough stones.

I have contacted Gene, so I will wait to see what he has available.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chloeishere|1322086256|3067921 said:
Just another vote of confidence for Gene of precisiongem.com-- great guy, and he cuts fast. I prefer lighter toned blue sapphires, and he was the one who cut my e-ring stone (see my avatar). Mine is the lightest rough he had at the time, I believe, and it's a Montana sapphire. Montana's generally tend to be a little bit more steely/ gray than sapphires from other origins, though. It is very sparkly and has quite a bit of dispersion, due to the cut and the light tone of the stone.

Here's a bigger version of my avatar.

Be sure to tell him the size you'd like and the cut (cushion) in addition to the colors you'd prefer. I wanted a light, blue-green or blue-purple sapphire.

The other sapphire looks beautiful, but it could be more violet in real life. The vendor should be able to tell you that, though. Sapphires, in my limited experience, look their most beautiful in daylight (in particular, blue sapphires). My stone doesn't color shift too much, but it is most blue in daylight.

Re: Price
Price varies dramatically by vendor-- Gene is very reasonably priced in my opinion. Dan Stair (customgemstones.com) seems to have darker blue sapphire rough when I checked with him, but his prices are very, very good. Price does not necessarily dictate the quality of the stone, at all. Pick the one(s) you like best to look at in real life!

Gorgeous stone!!

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock

Thanks TL! Off topic, you asked me to post a thread on it in the vendor/owner picture thread (and I will) but I'm waiting until it's done being set. It's taking longer than expected, so I keep waiting to post!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results