shape
carat
color
clarity

Yesterday's surgery went well

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad all went well Kenny and hoping for super speedy recovery!!

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Glad to hear things went well! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Awesome to hear!!!! Best wishes for a speedy recovery, friend. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the good wishes.
I'm overwhelmed by the response.

I just got home.
Like Dorothy says, "There's no place like home."

What an ordeal.
Besides pain of a fresh tender wound that goes from your navel to your whowho ... there is the crippling constipation.
General anesthesia and the opiates in the days following major surgery days shuts down your intestines.
You do keep eating but with nothing coming out your gut inflates like a hot air balloon and it's is pure agony, worse than the wound pain. (I had never experienced constipation before since I have a very healthy diet.)
After day 2 or 3 they try to wean you off off the strongest pain killers (opiates) so you can hopefully begin the several-day process of relieving some of that pressure as your gut returns to producing its former output.

When it starts it starts with a sudden explosion, and it ain't pretty or cute.
You stand no chance of making it to the toilet in time since you have to unplug your IV from the wall and carry it with you
You can't get out of bed quickly because of the pain.
The abdomen carries a lot of mechanical load when the body moves having the muscles there cut and stitched is most unfortunate.
Oh and good luck trying to get those hospital gowns off quickly with the IV in the way.

Since you are unable to clean yourself you have to bear the humiliation of having a stranger clean your most private parts.
I'll tell you, they cannot possibly pay those people enough.
The nurses and techs are saints.
They don't hire enough so they are spread too thin.
This means when you press the call button you have to way a long time for help, and this was at a very high end, expensive hospital.

I found a top-rated surgeon with a complication rate among the lowest in the nation, 2.3% for this procedure.
Over 30 years he has done thousands of these nerve-saving prostatectomies.
He refuses to work for insurance company's contracted low rates so I have to pay around $6K out of pocket for his bill, which is only one of several bills I'll get.
I was so happy when my pathology report came back all clear.
They are as sure as they can be that they got all the cancer and that it has not spread.

The most profound experience for me was when I was ambulating, walking the halls pushing my IV pole around.
I passed room 676.
A woman was continuously crying and moaning in great pain.
Nobody was helping her and I thought maybe her help button had fallen to the floor.
I walked to the nurses station where a dozen nurses were busy, and told one.
She said thank you, but went back to the paperwork she was doing.
I can only surmise that they have done everything possible and her condition/treatment involved un-relievable pain exponentially greater than mine.

Something about this just moved me to tears.
Here I was feeling all sorry for myself and this woman had it much worse.
This was my first time in a hospital and was a real eye-opener.
Later that day I talked about this with the woman who was giving me a sponge bath.
She knew exactly what I was talking about and we shared a good cry together.

This experience has made me realize that I have not been a very compassionate person.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Kenny, I am crying with you! I am so pleased at the success of your procedure. Get well soon. We all love you and wish you only the best.
Take care PS buddy :wavey:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Kenny~ Your spirits appear to be good especially considering the shape you're in! I'm sorry that you're experiencing such discomfort but soo happy that they are confident that the procedure has removed the cancer! That is fantastic! Compassion and empathy are inane in all of us I believe. You really get to know yourself, though, when you finally feel something so awful for another person. Sending up prayers for you and Lady676.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kenny, so sorry to hear about all of this discomfort and pain, I hope you're feeling better very soon.

And FWIW, I think you ARE a compassionate person - you wouldn't have been so moved by that woman's suffering if you weren't. A hospital is a tough place to be in. A lot of pain and sadness. I'm glad you're back in your own home.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
So glad you are home, and that they got the cancer. Praying that your recovery goes smoothly. Thanks for the hospital stories. Seeing the problems of others helps us to appreciate what we have.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Dilaudid was what I ended up on, post thyroid surgery. I totally don't recall a lot of conversations that day!

I'm so glad the surgery went well. Enjoy the pain-meds button while it lasts ;))

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad you're back home, Kenny. It's amazing how much more quickly your body heals when you're back in your own space, with your pets and loved ones around you.

My mother, who spent a lot of time over the years in a hospital for various things, always said that a hospital was no place for a sick person. In any case, Welcome Home!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Kenny--

Thank you for sharing your experience in the hospital. I am currently at 2 different hospitals for my clinicals 3 days a week. Last semester, I was in a different hospital. One hospital is very, very rich and well known across the U.S. and the other is much poorer but let me say this; every single day when I walk out of the hospital after I am finished with my shift, I count my blessings and I truly thank God for giving me everything that I have in terms of my health as well as my parents. The awful situations that you see are the same in every hospital and it really changes your perspective altogether; rich or poor hospital. Each and every time I step foot on the floor and care for any of my patients it has been an eye opener. My parents have their own slew of health problems but seeing what some of my patients have dealt with has made me consistently reflect when I leave the hospital. It's hard to explain but I know exactly what you mean. Yesterday was my biggest eyeopener of all. Ever since I started clinicals (Jan.) I've definitely dealt with some very difficult situations but none have made me cry. Yesterday though that all changed for me. I'll never forget the patient I cared for or her loving family and extremely devoted husband. The hospital can be a very sad place but it is an incredible learning experience for everyone involved no matter HOW they are involved.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1317953352|3035020 said:
Thanks for all the good wishes.
I'm overwhelmed by the response.

I just got home.
Like Dorothy says, "There's no place like home."

What an ordeal.
Besides pain of a fresh tender wound that goes from your navel to your whowho ... there is the crippling constipation.
General anesthesia and the opiates in the days following major surgery days shuts down your intestines.
You do keep eating but with nothing coming out your gut inflates like a hot air balloon and it's is pure agony, worse than the wound pain. (I had never experienced constipation before since I have a very healthy diet.)
After day 2 or 3 they try to wean you off off the strongest pain killers (opiates) so you can hopefully begin the several-day process of relieving some of that pressure as your gut returns to producing its former output.

When it starts it starts with a sudden explosion, and it ain't pretty or cute.
You stand no chance of making it to the toilet in time since you have to unplug your IV from the wall and carry it with you
You can't get out of bed quickly because of the pain.
The abdomen carries a lot of mechanical load when the body moves having the muscles there cut and stitched is most unfortunate.
Oh and good luck trying to get those hospital gowns off quickly with the IV in the way.

Kenny, after my c-section I was on opiates for a few days... To be blunt- I didn't poop for four days and it was all plugged up. Not to mention that I couldn't "push" or "bear down" AT ALL due to the slice in my belly. I took stool softeners to no avail. One word for you- SUPPOSITORY!!! It's gross and not fun to do, but I swear it was a god send when I was sitting in the bathroom crying and trying to poop for HOURS. Sorry for the grossness of this convo, but I totally feel your pain. I hope that gets better quick!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
. . . and thanks to all of you for posting your experiences.
Although the constipation topic is beyond unpleasant I think it is under-addressed because nobody wants to really talk about that.

Now, every reader of this thread will be better-prepared for their own surgery recovery experience some day, or more understanding of what their loved ones are going through.
So this is sort of a PSA, I hope.

I wish I would have known more detail about the long, gradual, multi-day process of the digestive system coming back on line before my surgery.
All I was told was, I'd be constipated; perhaps that's enough info for some people, not me.

I spent one day panicking, cussing, and absolutely at my wits ends, and I even got rude with the care-givers.
Had I known that getting nothing more than a couple sputters on day 2 was actually relatively good progress my anxiety level would have gone way way down.
You don't need ignorance-based anxiety at a time like this, and anxiety can actually make this problem worse because you need to relax.
A couple of my care-givers did not have good enough English skills to communicate the detail and nuance that I needed.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Opiates cause constipation. Just the way it is. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I appreciate your honesty. I think information is the best thing anyone can be armed with and a heads up to anyone is a good thing.

I've had experience with two family members with the opiates - the pain of that type of constipation is very real and you're right - just not something they share in detail with you before hand.

As for the compassion, we are ever evolving creatures. Sometimes these experiences are put in our path to help us grow as people. Until you've seen it first hand, it's sometimes hard to believe that pain and circumstances can bring people to their knees with seemingly no place to go with it. I hope that the lady - either through medication or healing - has better days to come. It is quite a humbling experience to witness and for all of us, a little scary. We can never be sure how or where we'll end up and the fear of being like that is quite mind blowing. However, I'm sure in that situation, we'd prefer compassion to scorn.

I think you are a caring human being and have much more deep thought than you let on. I like it!

Kisses to Kizzy and Yaya - they'll be the nurses for your spirit! Happy healing days ahead and yahoo for a great pathology report!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad your recovery is going well! People don't like to go into the details about constipation, but it's terrible. It's hard to enjoy anything else in life when you're bowels are at the center of your thoughts.

Thank you for not jumping to the conclusion that the nurses and doctors are uncaring or indifferent to your situation, but instead understanding that we're just overworked. You hit the nail on the head. When we as health care providers seem to lack compassion, it's usually because we're struggling to keep up with an excessive work load. Very few patients have the capacity to understand that while they're struggling through their own pain and other issues.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kenny glad to hear you are home and that they are as sure as can be that they have removed all of the cancer...thinking about you

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just back from vacation so I'm late to this thread, but I'm so, so glad to see that things went well. Sorry for your um... discomfort, but it's really great to hear that you're home and recovering.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best wishes for a SPEEDY recovery!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
So glad things went well Kenny. I'm sorry to hear about your discomfort following the surgery, I hope things continue to improve for you.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Kenny,

Sorry, only just seeing this. So sorry for your discomfort, but I understand the major target was successful; so glad for that.

Good continuous recuperation to you.

Ira Z.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1318034794|3035674 said:
As for the compassion, we are ever evolving creatures. Sometimes these experiences are put in our path to help us grow as people. Until you've seen it first hand, it's sometimes hard to believe that pain and circumstances can bring people to their knees with seemingly no place to go with it. I hope that the lady - either through medication or healing - has better days to come. It is quite a humbling experience to witness and for all of us, a little scary. We can never be sure how or where we'll end up and the fear of being like that is quite mind blowing. However, I'm sure in that situation, we'd prefer compassion to scorn.

This.

None of us is exempt.

Kenny, big hugs from us (and SO wanted to be sure I told you that) for your continuing recovery! :wavey:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I was just thinking about you today and came back to see if you had posted an update. I am thrilled your Dr. was able to get
all the cancer and it has not spread! That is such great news!

It is so hard to see the suffering of others. It does make you grateful for what blessings you have. But still so sad, none the less.

Well, I guess the constipation will tend to make you not want to take the opiates. Good thing in my book, but the constipation is no fun.
The darn things are so addictive. I hope you are feeling 100% better very very soon. Hang in there.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear your surgery went well. I hope your pain is under control.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on surgery that went well. Totally understand your emotions about postoperative constipation. It is horribly unpleasant. Wish you best of luck! It is quite a surgery, I am happy that it is over.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kenny, So glad to hear you are doing well post-surgery! Will continue to pray for your complete healing.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all. :wavey:
Boy, today I just feel fantastic even with no pain pills, not even an aspirin.
I'm running around the house getting lots of chores done. :lol:
The bladder catheter is not even bothering me any more.

I have to be careful to not lift too much and burst my stitches since I'd have to pick my intenstines up off the floor. :shock:

superman.jpg

Kenny dead.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,

So glad to hear that the doctor got all of the cancer and it hasn't spread! That is wonderful news.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with the constipation, I can't even imagine how miserable that must be after a surgery. I hope your intestines are up and functioning comfortably again soon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So great that your path report is clean Kenny!! Hope your constipation goes away and that your recovery is quick and complete!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The constipation is almost gone but I won't post pics. :oops:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results